ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St Match Thread

Iowa (mostly) came to wrestle and made it a fun one! Even if some of the matches were snoozefests (both teams were largely responsible for this).

However, the most unintentionally ironic part of the night was you guys whining about home crowd influencing stall calls. Please tell me some of you are a lot smarter than you look/sound/post and that was brilliant satire.

Good to see that there was at least a little constructive banter and discussion, even if it got lost among the “huurrrrrrr durrrrrrr steroids” kind of stuff.

I thought Iowa wrestled pretty well where they had the most part. But there’s definitely room for Iowa - and its message board fans - to improve going forward!

Last edited:
Reactions: DanDraper
Iowa (mostly) came to wrestle and made it a fun one! Even if some of the matches were snoozefests.

However, the most unintentionally ironic part of the night was you guys whining about home crowd influencing stall calls. Please tell me some of you are a lot smarter than you look/sound/post and that was brilliant satire.

Good to see that there was at least a little constructive banter and discussion, even if it got lost among the “huurrrrrrr durrrrrrr steroids” kind of stuff.

I thought Iowa wrestled pretty well where they had the most part. But there’s definitely room for Iowa - and its message board fans - to improve going forward!
Not so much the crowd influencing anything, as it is the POS Refs you have being bias! This is WITHOUT question! Just watch SLs match and IF you have ANY understanding of college wrestling at all???? Tell me where his Bar arms were even close to PD!?!?!? Fact is, they were not!!! Yet the POS stopped it not once, but twice!

Then the POS was pretty quick to ding Teske at 133, OK, what happened in the very next match? Woods had to shoot 4 or 5 shots to ZERO!!! NO CALL!!!

Then you have that new ketchup kid at 157 RUNNING off the mat!!! Not only no flee call, not even a stall call!?!??!

The parallel ankle stall rides are just that. By rule, a stall PERIOD!

Funny how you would bring up steroids. I will use the term PEDs and it is very obvious to anyone watching. The newest guy ButterDean is all puffed up. Very similar to "murphy Brown" , The apple picking guys Macintosh, in that look they all have. You also had the Great Cassar, and do not forget "funny Bo nose!!!'

ALL have moved up weight classes and NONE really had the body type to do so, Hmmm????? Kinda odd isn't it? ButterDean for example is very short for the weight, The great cassar was a 99 pound weakling, Bo seems to be lighter now??? Again ALL odd.

I will however give you the opportunity to respond with some examples from the last 15 years I will give you of any team doing this some type thing? Even the steroid using gophers I do not believe had this kind of thing going?

Not so much the crowd influencing anything, as it is the POS Refs you have being bias! This is WITHOUT question! Just watch SLs match and IF you have ANY understanding of college wrestling at all???? Tell me where his Bar arms were even close to PD!?!?!? Fact is, they were not!!! Yet the POS stopped it not once, but twice!

Then the POS was pretty quick to ding Teske at 133, OK, what happened in the very next match? Woods had to shoot 4 or 5 shots to ZERO!!! NO CALL!!!

Then you have that new ketchup kid at 157 RUNNING off the mat!!! Not only no flee call, not even a stall call!?!??!

Funny how you would bring up steroids. I will use the term PEDs and it is very obvious to anyone watching. The newest guy ButterDean is all puffed up. Very similar to "murphy Brown" , The apple picking guys Macintosh, in that look they all have. You also had the Great Cassar, and do not forget "funny Bo nose!!!'

ALL have moved up weight classes and NONE really had the body type to do so, Hmmm????? Kinda odd isn't it? ButterDean for example is very short for the weight, The great cassar was a 99 pound weakling, Bo seems to be lighter now??? Again ALL odd.

I will however give you the opportunity to respond with some examples from the last 15 years I will give you of any team doing this some type thing? Even the steroid using gophers I do not believe had this kind of thing going?

You are indeed a national treasure.

Never change, young man.

Not that you are smart enough to understand what you are watching or what the great Fale is getting away with over in F*** st land!

BUT- without a starter in the line up IOWA went toe to toe with the best team $$$$ could buy! Why don't you check the recruiting rankings again?

Add that for some reason they are allowed to ride parallel on an ankle for days on end without trying to do anything. Which is a STALL by rule, and you can see why NO ONE is impressed at all!
Dumb take. While fans outside of State College talk amongst themselves about how unimpressed they are with Penn State, those within the PSU fanbase will be enjoying their run towards yet another National Championship. Tom should do his fanbase a solid and recruit better and on top of that he really should teach his guys how to win like Cael does at PSU. As for your stupid "without a starter in the lineup" comment, I'm gonna act like the Hawk wrestling program became Unicef and "charity" you 4 points. Oh wait...they still lose don't they?

Not the greatest match, but overall not to disappointing. Teske pushed to hard at the end and it cost us. He was spent at the end and should have known to stay out of trouble for the team, but very solid effort against a 2timer.

The Hawks should be motivated moving forward we will improve from this at most weights come tournament time. I saw a lot of homer calls, but nothing I did not expect. Not terrible without Brooks and Teske getting stuck.

The fact that Carl did not send out his starter at 125 is pathetic, they knew he would get pinned so they sent out a flexible backup to take a tech! Absolutely pathetic, but does not surprise me. I only hope SL sees Steen at the BIGs.
Assad, quack, quack.

Guy has no self awareness whatsoever. I'm almost to the point that I'm thinking he's a PSU fan trying to make Hawk fans look stupid. If that's the case, the guy is doing one helluva job..
I dont know, "that new ketchup kid" and "funny bo nose" "macintosh the apple guy" ... there is some pretty funny material right there. I'd say bird man is trolling the trolls pretty damn good.

Reactions: pmow38 and IRONBIRD
I am wondering why not let Rhoades go 74 and bump Brands to 84 wouldn’t have change the outcome but a stronger lineup for you guys right?

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN

Best wrestler in the country and Cael, et al., had this ref carrying water for his 0-4 backup. Spencer's been pinning everyone with that, but last night in Happy Valley it's suddenly illegal.

I mostly agree except for Teske. Even ignoring the pin, he wrestled a really bad and lazy second half of the match. Slow to react/didn't react at all to several of RBY's shots. Teske wrestling his best keeps that match to a decision.

Siebrect also had an opportunity to win that match and I think he'd agree he didn't wrestle his best. Not a bad match by him, but certainly not his best.
I get where you are coming from, but I truly think RBY makes his opponents look that way. Teske wrestled him tough, but he was simply outmatched. Still, he could have kept it to a decision if he didn’t attack at the end, but that is what I wanted to see. He wasn’t out there to keep it close. He was out there to try to win. He wasn’t going to, but I would rather see that then him running the last 30 seconds down 7-2.

As far as Siebrecht goes, I thought he wrestled very well. Haines simply keeps very solid positions and didn’t let Siebrecht get into positions that favor him. Again, PSU is VERY good across the board at, not just avoiding hand fighting positions that favor Iowa, but dictating their own.

At the beginning of the year NOONE but maybe Siebrecht and his mother rightly thought he would be a takedown away from beating a Haines type in the last 30 seconds. I came away from that match higher on him than I have been all season…

I am fundraising this morning! Will be fundraising all year!

A lot of you want to beat PSU. That starts with 💰 💰 💰.

PSU has $8mil in the 🏦, that kicks off 450k annually. Fans, we stockpiled talent in 80’s and 90’s because of Roy Carver believed in Dan Gable. PSU has Ira Lubert doing the same over the last decade for the NLWC.

How are they stockpiling talent? 💰 💰 💰!

The HWC has $1.3m in our endowment and we have work to do. Some of our biggest supporters stepped up and funded the New Facility. $27 million. That was a huge step!

The HWC needs to new donors, more donors, more funding.

Take that energy you have today and write a check to Hawkeye Wrestling Club, join the Inner Circle, give to our Endowment. In the battle for fundraising, we are gaining ground, but we are losing.

Help us, as Tom would say, “Write the check!”

Wish the Hawks had won. But taking a step back, this wasn't a great showcase for either team or for the sport in general. #1 v. #2. I found myself getting bored, and I love wrestling. Three 2-1 decisions; four other matches with one takedown. If I could have fast-forwarded through the mat wrestling by both teams (other than Spencer), I would have.

Encouraging weekend refs whose full-time job is VP at the local bank to exercise their discretion to call more stalling isn't going to cure the issue. If #1 v. #2 is this boring, who other than the most die-hard fan will go to the Maryland-Indiana dual? There's a reason the sport isn't growing like it could.

Sorry for the rant.

Wish the Hawks had won. But taking a step back, this wasn't a great showcase for either team or for the sport in general. #1 v. #2. I found myself getting bored, and I love wrestling. Three 2-1 decisions; four other matches with one takedown. If I could have fast-forwarded through the mat wrestling by both teams (other than Spencer), I would have.

Encouraging weekend refs whose full-time job is VP at the local bank to exercise their discretion to call more stalling isn't going to cure the issue. If #1 v. #2 is this boring, who other than the most die-hard fan will go to the Maryland-Indiana dual? There's a reason the sport isn't growing like it could.

Sorry for the rant.
I really don’t think rule changes will grow the sport.

Matches pairing top guys have become get the one take down and hold on. Iowa has been burned many times trying to be aggressive and giving up something by getting out of position. It seems rules are skewed to create a lack of action. I thought Iowa actually did a better job than normal last night of doing what it needs to do to win matches in today's world. Just have to get that first takedown.

Not good enough for what? 4 of them are national champs. If you ask me, Tom should teach his team how to be not good enough.
Nah, I'd rather he teach them how to win national championships.

Carl should be the one teaching his boys how to lose more often. Thanks in advance for making sure he does that, btw! :D

• Haha
Reactions: PSUer1989
Wow what a pathetic mindset
Not sure I agree that Cass won't get Kerk again, but it's not hard to see. It's happened with several of our top guys who beat their highly rated PSU counterpart the first one or two times out, and then the PSU guy goes on to win all the subsequent matchups. ADS, Kemdawg, Eierman, and it's now looking like Cass could be next. I don't like it either, but the PSU guys learn from those early losses, adjust, and don't let it happen again.

Yeah…Iowa’s 2 takedowns in the entire dual was riveting stuff!
Bitch, were you impressed with your team’s performance? I wasn’t. Iowa wasn’t thrilling either. Boring ass dual you guys hosted. I can tell you that. The dual in carver was exciting. This one was terrible. Keep focusing on 2 takedowns. Outside of brooks, psu looked like shite. I think you’ll be lucky to have 2 out 4 of your champs repeat.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Bitch, were you impressed with your team’s performance? I wasn’t. Iowa wasn’t thrilling either. Boring ass dual you guys hosted. I can tell you that. The dual in carver was exciting. This one was terrible. Keep focusing on 2 takedowns. Outside of brooks, psu looked like shite. I think you’ll be lucky to have 2 out 4 of your champs repeat.

Gurrlllll, when you get all catty like this you’re doing yourself no favors.

I think the poster to whom you’re replying was trying to point out that Iowa calling PSU wrestling is like the pot calling the kettle black. Both teams were relative snoozefests last night, so one team calling the other out for lack of excitement last night is misguided.

Yeah…Iowa’s 2 takedowns in the entire dual was riveting stuff!
Sorry I wasn't terribly impressed by the #1 team. I will go back and watch the tape and really appreciate the strategy of a #1 wrestler doing nothing against Nelson Brands.

Penn State is the only school in the country where I still shudder when I see someone wearing a PSU or nittany Lion shirt. I know it’s been over a decade and no one associated with the school now had anything to do with it. But i still do it.

Gurrlllll, when you get all catty like this you’re doing yourself no favors.

I think the poster to whom you’re replying was trying to point out that Iowa calling PSU wrestling is like the pot calling the kettle black. Both teams were relative snoozefests last night, so one team calling the other out for lack of excitement last night is misguided.
Then why didn’t you quote your buddy bitch? I don’t care about making friends on here with psu posters. I have plenty of those within walking distance from me. The dual sucked. This is psu’s least exciting team I’ve witnessed in a long time but they game the system well. Bravo! No excuses, they’re still better than Iowa and will have more guys high up on the podium I’m sure. But the facts are the facts.

Then why didn’t you quote your buddy bitch? I don’t care about making friends on here with psu posters. I have plenty of those within walking distance from me. The dual sucked. This is psu’s least exciting team I’ve witnessed in a long time but they game the system well. Bravo! No excuses, they’re still better than Iowa and will have more guys high up on the podium I’m sure. But the facts are the facts.

Girl you are hot headed today. Try to relax a little and enjoy the nice weekend.

Body bag. Vaselino time of death, 2:32 PM 1-28-23.
LOL, you Hawknuts need to learn that as long as " Carl" is here, you're second best, at best. Learn to live with it. Accept that you will only win one or two natty's a decade. It's not 1986 any more. I say this with all due respect. You were once great.

LOL, you Hawknuts need to learn that as long as " Carl" is here, you're second best, at best. Learn to live with it. Accept that you will only win one or two natty's a decade. It's not 1986 any more. I say this with all due respect. You were once great.
You guys are in the midst of a nice run. Have had some elite lineups over the past decade for sure. Congrats. Spencer will move on to his Olympic career after this year, and once he's done with that will come back to IC and take the reins of the Iowa program. When that happens, good luck finding a blue chipper in the country who won't want to roll with and/or be coached by Spencer Lee.

Even when Cael decides to hang it up, I don't think you'll see the drop-off most would expect. He's built a program that will most likely transition well under someone he has personally groomed. He's building the premier club that wrestlers want to be apart of. His boys have built one of the nation's best youth clubs in America and another is now building a MMA club. They hate it but Cael has made State College the epicenter for wrestling in the U.S.

I still laugh that some here predicted Caels demise....that elite recruits were onto him and didnt want to wrestle for him. That the NCAA was bringing the hammer down on him for cheating...lol...that one still cracks me up. I guess what I'm saying is, just as they shouldn't have hung their hat on the idea that once Ruth and Taylor graduate all would be well again, they better not think things will change once Cael goes. He's built a program and a "tree" that will keep it at the top for a very long time.

You guys are in the midst of a nice run. Have had some elite lineups over the past decade for sure. Congrats. Spencer will move on to his Olympic career after this year, and once he's done with that will come back to IC and take the reins of the Iowa program. When that happens, good luck finding a blue chipper in the country who won't want to roll with and/or be coached by Spencer Lee.
LMAO. Why do you guys think Spencer is so likeable and everyone wants to be around him? Remember that PA (young guns) pipeline you were suppose to have when Spencer signed on? What the hell ever happened to that? Even after having Spencer 5 or 6 years you guys are still whining that you can't recruit like PSU can. And don't think there's not some truth behind what Mrs. Ayala said. Oh and one other thing, what makes you think Spencer even wants to be a coach? From memory, Spencer always had his sights on in running an entire athletic program not a wrestling program. I think he even said once he didnt want to coach but that was years ago and things may have changed.

LMAO. Why do you guys think Spencer is so likeable and everyone wants to be around him? Remember that PA (young guns) pipeline you were suppose to have when Spencer signed on? What the hell ever happened to that? Even after having Spencer 5 or 6 years you guys are still whining that you can't recruit like PSU can. And don't think there's not some truth behind what Mrs. Ayala said. Oh and one other thing, what makes you think Spencer even wants to be a coach? From memory, Spencer always had his sights on in running an entire athletic program not a wrestling program. I think he even said once he didnt want to coach but that was years ago and things may have changed.
You seem angry. You should enjoy what's left of the weekend and not be so worried.

Reactions: moug
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT