ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St Match Thread

You seem angry. You should enjoy what's left of the weekend and not be so woworried.
No. I'm wondering why you guys keep doing this to yourselves. Ruth/ Taylor graduate...we will be fine. Bo/Nolf graduate we will be fine. It's like you set yourselves up for a big let down. And now your hanging your hat on Spencer Lee who couldn't even help get recruits to join him at Iowa that would at least rival those at PSU.

No. I'm wondering why you guys keep doing this to yourselves. Ruth/ Taylor graduate...we will be fine. Bo/Nolf graduate we will be fine. It's like you set yourselves up for a big let down. And now your hanging your hat on Spencer Lee who couldn't even help get recruits to join him at Iowa that would at least rival those at PSU.
Lol, not sure I believe you. You seem genuinely worried. Don't do that to yourself. You guys have a nice thing going. Live in the now and be happy.

Sorry I wasn't terribly impressed by the #1 team. I will go back and watch the tape and really appreciate the strategy of a #1 wrestler doing nothing against Nelson Brands.
And I will watch it too…and appreciate Iowa’s most high flying, exciting team in more than a decade. I mean…those 2 TDs were…AMAZING…Put Bo’s spladle to shame!

PS-It was obvious Carter stayed the hell away from Brands because he didn’t want to get chewed apart.

This dual absolutely wasn't a great showing for either team. Iowa won 4 matches, but nothing past 165. 2 takedowns is not a good night, even with 4 wins. PSU doesn't have much to be excited about either though. 5 weights with no takedowns (should have been 6 with 125) and 2 more with only 1 takedown isn't exactly lighting the wrestling world on fire. 133, 174, 184, 197, and 285 are very good, but trying to win 1 takedown matches consistently is a good way to get upset. Their hammers are no where near as dominant as the Nolf, Nickal, Ruth, and Zain days. PSU is the clear favorite this year, but they are 1 injury away from anyones game in March.

Spencer can't recruit. Never heard that one before.

At some point in the near future Burroughs, Dake, and Snyder are likely going to to be leading programs. They might suck some air out of Happy Valley. Spencer too, if he learns how to recruit.

Reactions: Mendoza77

At some point in the near future Burroughs, Dake, and Snyder are likely going to to be leading programs. They might suck some air out of Happy Valley. Spencer too, if he learns how to recruit.
Umm..what makes you think any of them even want to coach? Spencer included..

honest question, what's more "potentially dangerous" Spencer's pinning combo or a bow and arrow that forces everything the wrong way?
Why you asking me? I just pointed out that the ref wasn't the only one who thinks it's pd. A wrestler that won national championships thinks it is as well.

Pablow, this steely dohn guy is a bit of an idiot! Guess he wants to be the newest of the F*** st fools trying to make pretend it was the great Fale and his magic recruiting and not the $$$$$. Guy is a moron, but IOWA is catching up. NIL and the portal have changed the game.

We have a huge class coming in! Add 1 or 2 more pieces and we will be on a huge run again! You will not be able to find a F*** st dork anywhere!!!

Why you asking me? I just pointed out that the ref wasn't the only one who thinks it's pd. A wrestler that won national championships thinks it is as well.
Just to prove a point, again most PSU fans do not know much about the sport and just like to talk about their Carl. Most would not know anything about Psu wrestling prior to Carl, this has been proven many times and guys like you continue to do so. So take your opinion on the last 10 years of wrestling and share it with the rest of the TURDs on your board.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Pablow, this steely dohn guy is a bit of an idiot! Guess he wants to be the newest of the F*** st fools trying to make pretend it was the great Fale and his magic recruiting and not the $$$$$. Guy is a moron, but IOWA is catching up. NIL and the portal have changed the game.

We have a huge class coming in! Add 1 or 2 more pieces and we will be on a huge run again! You will not be able to find a F*** st dork anywhere!!!
You'll have to forgive me if I'm not showing concern on what you think WILL happen. Don't take this the wrong way but your track record isn't very good. There's a reason everyone from Willie Saylor to some newbie on Nittany Nation laugh at you.

Ok...there probably is only one way you can take that.

Last edited:
Reactions: PAHURDLER
I’ve read many posts about growing the sport. If people believe actually believe that there will be new fans.
It happens in everything , I’m one of those fans btw and while I don’t have the in depth knowledge of some folk I can count to 9 in the last 11 contested ncaa championships and see 10 out of 12.
Great technical and historical knowledge of a fan does nothing to win a championship, but winning all the time makes following a team fun.

Reactions: Jayhouse
That little fat ass willie? The one I would buy a ticket to see west to east kick his ass? That turd?
Guy is a little slow I guess too? I assume that is suppose to be an insult from dohntown??? LMAO!!! He might wanna go back and delete that one?

Also reading comp is not his best thing either! Never said anything about "what I think will happen." Clearly said we have a great class coming in, and I am hoping for a few additional key pieces be added!

LEVEL playing field is all IOWA needs!

Reactions: Grip220
Umm..what makes you think any of them even want to coach? Spencer included..
He’s said it a few times. Including once right before the season. He says it’s an option and refers to himself as a coach for the young guys on this years team.

Stop trying to fuel a fire that isn’t there. You come off as insecure and simple. Your team won last night. Congrats. Now go play with your friends in the psu sandbox.

Last edited:
Reactions: IRONBIRD and moug
I’m now going to refer to you only as hemmy. Which will be short for hemorrhoid, because your only point is to cause pain every time your hole opens.

Hemmy you’re a troll. You’re a joke that isn’t funny, a fairy tale that has no meaning, and a drama that has no antagonist. You’re pointless.

Don’t talk about what you don’t know. And interpersonal relationships in the Iowa wrestling room you certainly know nothing about. Take care hemmy.

So first the insults by saying I don’t know wrestling. Then the name calling. Then the ignorance. After I literally proved you wrong with your own words (profile search) you start the gaslighting and moving of goalposts. Think that’s the internet morAn playbook.

Pitiful display, dude. Glad the wrestlers (from both teams) are giving a better effort than you tonight. 🤪🤪
Why are you even here on this board? Posters like you are one reason why we have a low opinion of PSU. Rather than posting respectful comments that contribute to the discussions, you post antagonistic and disrespectful stuff. Why not do something constructive and positive with your time?

I’m 39 now and been around wrestling as a wrestler, coach, and ref for 34 years. Pretty lackluster wrestler, but rather successful as coach and highly rated as ref. I’m confident I know enough about the sport to say, quit fn whining about a call that doesn’t go your way. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
That's nothing! I'm 62 now and been around wrestling as a wrestler, coach and ref for 61 years. I was an amazing wrestler, and extremely successful as a coach and very highly rated as a ref. I'm confident I know enough about the sport to say....your posts in this thread have added ZERO to any discussion, and you failed to understand that we Iowa fans are not whining, but rather frustrated and disgusted with the current rules and the lack of good officiating that would stimulate action in the matches, and penalize those who are deserving of it (such as Starocci, Dean, Warner, Brands, etc etc). What was almost worse was stopping completely legal action (Lee's armbar) which prevented action - Lee's armbar was no where close to being dangerous!

It was a long shot but at least it came down to the last match.

I think Iowa as they look right now gets a champ with 3 total AAs.
HUH?? So you think that Iowa will end up around 8th place in NCAAs?? Care to make a wager that Iowa has more than 3 AAs?

More name calling 🙄🙄🙄

But it’s all fine and dandy. I’ve been called a lot worse by people a lot more important than an internet wrestling fan.
You've been called worse by important people? That's not something to be proud of!

Reactions: moug
Cass will never beat Kerk again. He should at least attempt upper body. And especially tonight when a pin was needed for his team to win.
NEVER? You write that as if it's 100% certain. Apparently you haven't watched much wrestling over the years. Cassioppi was trying to get into position to tie up and go upper body, but Kerkvliet was doing a good job of keeping his distance, so don't blame Cassioppi, it's not like he could dictate whatever he wanted, wrestling isn't that simple.

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
It was a long shot but at least it came down to the last match.

I think Iowa as they look right now gets a champ with 3 total AAs.
I have to disagree. 3 AA? 125, 141, and 285 are all locks for AA barring injury (2 champs and a 3rd imo). Your saying nobody else makes top 8 out of 133, 149, 157, 165, 174, 184, and 197?

Reactions: Mendoza77
Have you ever wrestled before? I seriously don't know why you're losing your mind over this. A chicken wing is called PD every time. JFC
No, a chicken wing is not called potentially dangerous every time, as long as it's not bent to a dangerous angle (unless last night's ref is officiating!). And Jesus has nothing to do with this, some of us don't appreciate his name being used profanely - thanks. :)

I feel left out, so here is my .2 without anyone asking for it.

1. Kudos to the entire Iowa team, especially Rhodes. Going up two weight classes against a NC probably is a little nerve wrecking, and definitely not easy to do, but he did it. Iowa wrestled smart, their hand fighting was the difference in all of the swing matches they won ( and Murin's ride ).

2. Haines should have been called for stalling when he backed off the mat. Starocci should have been called for stalling at the end when avoiding action. Confident in those two. I personally would have called Kerk for stalling when he was just hanging out with the head lever, I at least would have called a stalemate, and verbally told him, the next one is a stall. None of those stall calls would have made a difference in the outcome, but by rule, should have been called.

3. I, along with numerous posters here, am a former wrestler ( 12 years ), a former coach ( 15 years ), and a current ref. The picture in the rulebook that we all receive in PA shows that if at anytime a top wrestler's hand breaks 90 degrees towards the bottom wrestler's head and his hand goes on the shoulder blade ( trapping the joint ) it is PD. I am not saying that every time this ref stopped it that was the case. The one stoppage, they were faced away from the camera. I have watched Spencer wrestle since he was in 7th grade, and he has been great with that series since then. I have watched him time and time again, start the move "legally" and as he begins to run it, the hand goes to the shoulder blade which by rule is PD. I am not taking anything away from him, he is a great wrestler, probably the best 125lber ever along with his arm bar series. He has never, and will never need to bring the hand up, but he does do it. Again, does he do it every time? No.

4. Lastly. Both boards are at fault for this. I feel like name calling any college wrestler, most of whom are still kids, is completely beneath all of us. This is the greatest and oldest sport in the world. We tell kids in elementary and high school that wrestling will change their life and make them men ( and now women ). We try to get kids into all kinds of "personal defense" sports to deal with name calling from bullies, which is one of their primary go to. I am sure there are kids that post here, but I am assuming most of the posters are adults. Let's all do better and cut that unneeded stuff out. It is fine to ridicule an opponent, think they are stalling, not like the way they wrestle, think they are overrated or underrated, or point out how they screwed up. But to personally attack them over their name ( Ironbird I'm calling you out specifically on this one ) is childish.

I hope I get to see almost every one of these matches again at BIGs, It may not have been either team's best showing, and may not have blown the doors off the BJC, but smart tactical wrestling is sometimes just as fun for me to watch as high flying wrestling.

Good luck to the Hawks, and I am excited for the next round of battles.

Holy shit this is awesome
Gabe Arnold is a national treasure. Can't enter him into the lineup soon enough. This kid is coming for heads, I know I'm a head of myself on this one, but truly believe he is the future link that will propel us into title contention throughout the entirety of his career. He is the jewel of this class

I’m now going to refer to you only as hemmy. Which will be short for hemorrhoid, because your only point is to cause pain every time your hole opens.

Hemmy you’re a troll. You’re a joke that isn’t funny, a fairy tale that has no meaning, and a drama that has no antagonist. You’re pointless.

Don’t talk about what you don’t know. And interpersonal relationships in the Iowa wrestling room you certainly know nothing about. Take care hemmy.
Actually it is a legitimate response. the comments made to the press and by Mrs Ayala are incompatable. So, one can be fact and one can be fluff released to the press to make someone look a certain way. We will decide which is which independently.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Just to prove a point, again most PSU fans do not know much about the sport and just like to talk about their Carl. Most would not know anything about Psu wrestling prior to Carl, this has been proven many times and guys like you continue to do so. So take your opinion on the last 10 years of wrestling and share it with the rest of the TURDs on your board.
You seem upset.

I have to disagree. 3 AA? 125, 141, and 285 are all locks for AA barring injury (2 champs and a 3rd imo). Your saying nobody else makes top 8 out of 133, 149, 157, 165, 174, 184, and 197?
Yep, those are the three “as they look right now.” Real will have to prove he can score points past the first period to be the champ though. And Cass seems to have lost some ground which coincides with going away from his upper body set ups.

Likely Warner will make the podium but past experience does not guarantee future results and he has been in his head too much (again). Those thin margins eventually bite hard.

PK has a chance but it’s a brutal weight class and he hasn’t shown offensive effectiveness and variability to score against the top opponents.

That’s 3 AA’s “as they look right now” with a reasonable opportunity for 5. I can’t recall any lower ranked Hawks busting through at nationals in a long time but the B1G tourney will give us an indication if that trend might change this year.

Not so much the crowd influencing anything, as it is the POS Refs you have being bias! This is WITHOUT question! Just watch SLs match and IF you have ANY understanding of college wrestling at all???? Tell me where his Bar arms were even close to PD!?!?!? Fact is, they were not!!! Yet the POS stopped it not once, but twice!

Then the POS was pretty quick to ding Teske at 133, OK, what happened in the very next match? Woods had to shoot 4 or 5 shots to ZERO!!! NO CALL!!!

Then you have that new ketchup kid at 157 RUNNING off the mat!!! Not only no flee call, not even a stall call!?!??!

The parallel ankle stall rides are just that. By rule, a stall PERIOD!

Funny how you would bring up steroids. I will use the term PEDs and it is very obvious to anyone watching. The newest guy ButterDean is all puffed up. Very similar to "murphy Brown" , The apple picking guys Macintosh, in that look they all have. You also had the Great Cassar, and do not forget "funny Bo nose!!!'

ALL have moved up weight classes and NONE really had the body type to do so, Hmmm????? Kinda odd isn't it? ButterDean for example is very short for the weight, The great cassar was a 99 pound weakling, Bo seems to be lighter now??? Again ALL odd.

I will however give you the opportunity to respond with some examples from the last 15 years I will give you of any team doing this some type thing? Even the steroid using gophers I do not believe had this kind of thing going?
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha
Reactions: OldestandGreatest
You seem upset.
Not particularly, why would you think that. I'm just stating facts, I have had many conversations at nationals and the BiGs with Psu fans and most often ( although it's a shame ) my brother and I knew more about psu history then their own fans. Now I also met a few that were extremely knowledgeable, but I'm certain none of which are trolling on this board.

Yep, those are the three “as they look right now.” Real will have to prove he can score points past the first period to be the champ though. And Cass seems to have lost some ground which coincides with going away from his upper body set ups.

Likely Warner will make the podium but past experience does not guarantee future results and he has been in his head too much (again). Those thin margins eventually bite hard.

PK has a chance but it’s a brutal weight class and he hasn’t shown offensive effectiveness and variability to score against the top opponents.

That’s 3 AA’s “as they look right now” with a reasonable opportunity for 5. I can’t recall any lower ranked Hawks busting through at nationals in a long time but the B1G tourney will give us an indication if that trend might change this year.
I see a minimum of 4AAs with Lee, Woods, Warner, Big Cass.

I will add Murin has looked very good in my opinion. Brands has shown he can battle with the best. Cobe keeps getting better and is dangerous! As mentioned PK is in the mix too. Hoping Assad is OK? Teske has a punchers chance.

I would put the over/under at 5 AAs and take the over! It would be very disappointing if the 4 who were all already multi- time AAs did not make it onto the stand again at the very least!

I would also say if Murin, and PK don't AA, it would be an upset in my opinion. My dark horse is Brands that gives me 6. Assad right now is a slight question mark if he is hurt?

Not classy for home fans to boo opponent wrestlers during introductions, IMHO. I apologize on behalf of those at the BJC who audibly booed Spencer and Nelson during thiers. Uncalled for, classless, and just plain wrong. I just don't get it.
Now I know why Gilman fits in so well in State College. Most places when a guy comes in with a strong history of success the fans show their respect. Last year when Gable Stevenson came to Carver, the Iowa fans gave him a standing ovation at the end of his match. Iowa has a history of this type of class. I've never heard Carver boo a national champ prior to a match. I've heard it when a guy show boats, puts his hand behind his ear after a win etc., but never pre match. I was shocked. I go back to an interview Spencer did recently when he said, most arenas the fans are awesome
I feel left out, so here is my .2 without anyone asking for it.

1. Kudos to the entire Iowa team, especially Rhodes. Going up two weight classes against a NC probably is a little nerve wrecking, and definitely not easy to do, but he did it. Iowa wrestled smart, their hand fighting was the difference in all of the swing matches they won ( and Murin's ride ).

2. Haines should have been called for stalling when he backed off the mat. Starocci should have been called for stalling at the end when avoiding action. Confident in those two. I personally would have called Kerk for stalling when he was just hanging out with the head lever, I at least would have called a stalemate, and verbally told him, the next one is a stall. None of those stall calls would have made a difference in the outcome, but by rule, should have been called.

3. I, along with numerous posters here, am a former wrestler ( 12 years ), a former coach ( 15 years ), and a current ref. The picture in the rulebook that we all receive in PA shows that if at anytime a top wrestler's hand breaks 90 degrees towards the bottom wrestler's head and his hand goes on the shoulder blade ( trapping the joint ) it is PD. I am not saying that every time this ref stopped it that was the case. The one stoppage, they were faced away from the camera. I have watched Spencer wrestle since he was in 7th grade, and he has been great with that series since then. I have watched him time and time again, start the move "legally" and as he begins to run it, the hand goes to the shoulder blade which by rule is PD. I am not taking anything away from him, he is a great wrestler, probably the best 125lber ever along with his arm bar series. He has never, and will never need to bring the hand up, but he does do it. Again, does he do it every time? No.

4. Lastly. Both boards are at fault for this. I feel like name calling any college wrestler, most of whom are still kids, is completely beneath all of us. This is the greatest and oldest sport in the world. We tell kids in elementary and high school that wrestling will change their life and make them men ( and now women ). We try to get kids into all kinds of "personal defense" sports to deal with name calling from bullies, which is one of their primary go to. I am sure there are kids that post here, but I am assuming most of the posters are adults. Let's all do better and cut that unneeded stuff out. It is fine to ridicule an opponent, think they are stalling, not like the way they wrestle, think they are overrated or underrated, or point out how they screwed up. But to personally attack them over their name ( Ironbird I'm calling you out specifically on this one ) is childish.

I hope I get to see almost every one of these matches again at BIGs, It may not have been either team's best showing, and may not have blown the doors off the BJC, but smart tactical wrestling is sometimes just as fun for me to watch as high flying wrestling.

Good luck to the Hawks, and I am excited for the next round of battles.
If that national champ was a PSU guy--consider the source:) I was sitting by a referee, and he said those calls might not have been called in a high school match--no way in College. The bar that was being run after the first tilt would have been a fall and the referee stopped it. That was a terrible call. Totally bogus and homer feeling.... The referee was the most biased I have seen in my 10-years of following college wrestling. I've seen bad calls, I've watched Angel be terrible time and time again, but never before did I believe an official had an active bias as strong as the one on Friday night displayed. If a guy is bad, but bad both ways, okay. This guy had an intent, and it was obvious. Cael was so sad in the corner whining the entire two minutes. Thats illegal, that's illegal... I hope his voice is okay as much as he was crying in the corner--if you can't stop something, don't take the approach of coaching the guys up--change the rules, buy an official ....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT