ADVERTISEMENT

Perkins to Mizzou

It's never been about the money? Bull sheet.

The truth? Fran said at a public gathering that Tony was looking for $500,000 from Iowa and that Iowa could not pay that.

Did the Missouri NIL collective guarantee him $500,000? We'll never know but let's be clear and let's be HONEST; Tony was looking for a big pay day.

The truth? Fran said at a public gathering that Tony was looking for $500,000 from Iowa and that Iowa could not pay that.

Did the Missouri NIL collective guarantee him $500,000? We'll never know but let's be clear and let's be HONEST; Tony was looking for a big pay day.
Agreed and there's nothing wrong with that. This is still America.....or what's left of it anyway. 😀

But yeah, don't insult our intelligence by saying it wasn't about money when you went from an upper half B1G team, to literally the worse P6 team. Just own it and say, "Hell yeah it was about the money!"

In principle, I know what you are saying Gunner, you make total sense.

But look at it another way. With the money this is being generated by college sports, who should get it? Should it be the schools so that they can pay coaches, AD's, and other faculty more money? Should it be the television networks so that they CEO's of those can make more money? Should it be the NCAA?

Bottomline is that the these sports are generating a massive amount of money because they are popular and somebody, several people actually, are going to make bank off of it. It is hard then to reason why the kids shouldn't. Tony is one thing, but Caitlin is/was another. They can talk about how much money Caitlin is earning but I guarantee there are people making more than her off of her. Now that is tragic too.

My hope is that these types of NIL deals are going to get so gross and stupid, and behavior like KP will force the hand of these universities to put some regulation on it and treat it for what it is. A business.
But the players aren't being paid from the giant pool of money the sport generates. The institutions are keeping that and have the gall to push the bill across the table to the fans.

So one of these things has to be true with this transfer:

1. Missouri just pony'd up $500k for a slightly above average major conference guard, or
2. Fran was lying about it taking $500k to keep Tony.

My money is on #2 being the correct answer.
It was the number Tony's agent was asking from Iowa. They knew it was never going to happen. I would think going to mizzou would suck. If they are close to .500 next season i would be shocked. Anyway, nobody knows what Tony got but he knew Iowa wouldn't pay 100 grand even

I think your numbers for CEO salary at $50 million revenue or market value, either way is low.

Tony is going to make $500K for 1 year....his B-ball career very well might be under $1 million for his career if he ends up as overseas caliber player with no sniff of NBA.

Fran has been making $3.2 million/yr for coaching what were amateurs and probaly $30 million career salary just from Iowa. The fact the coaching Elite have gotten such a big share of college sports revenues is worse than Tony Perkins (from likely humble beginnings )making $500K.

Now that college sports is a professional league, open up the revenue for competitive allocation of Athletic Dept revenue instead of funneling all to head coaches. . My guess is you get a lot better team performance with a player budget of $3.2 million/yr and a mid major coach making $250K running the show then you do with Fran or his comparable P5 coaches making $3.2 million and Iowa's current NIL budget.
Tony and Fran are not the same. (I don't see a college coach worth multimillions either for that matter). yet you want to compare compensation for a college player and someone that has coached for 30 years is laughable and indicative of the mentality of most people these days.
there are 316 d 1 coaches with an average salary of $400,000. No player is worth than outside caitlin clark.
If any player were worth NIL pay for play in college they would/should be able to go to the G league and make that amount of money. They can't and that's the point, the value is not in tony perkins the value in in the name on the jersey.

Reactions: Easthawk1062
But the players aren't being paid from the giant pool of money the sport generates. The institutions are keeping that and have the gall to push the bill across the table to the fans.

TV revenue sharing might be next.

In July 2022 Kevin Warren (the B1G Commissioner at the time) met with football players regarding revenue sharing and improved medical care.

The players were looking for:

* A to-be-determined percentage of media rights revenue.

* Medical care for players after their college careers have come to an end. Funds from the B1G would purchase medical insurance policies for former players that would cover the treatment of injuries from their college football careers.

Again, this is from 2 years ago, but if the B1G did not make significant progress on doing more for players, the players' next step could be to register as a 501(c)(5) labor organization and potentially begin the process of becoming a union.

Link to the Story:

Link to the related thread:

Reactions: kceasthawk
Agreed and there's nothing wrong with that. This is still America.....or what's left of it anyway. 😀

But yeah, don't insult our intelligence by saying it wasn't about money when you went from an upper half B1G team, to literally the worse P6 team. Just own it and say, "Hell yeah it was about the money!"

It was the number Tony's agent was asking from Iowa. They knew it was never going to happen. I would think going to mizzou would suck. If they are close to .500 next season i would be shocked. Anyway, nobody knows what Tony got but he knew Iowa wouldn't pay 100 grand even

Then why leave? Lol. If it was about the money it would at least make sense.

Tony's not being truthful when he said it was not about money.

And for anyone skeptical about Tony's $500,000 (yes it was all about the money) asking price:

TV revenue sharing might be next.

In July 2022 Kevin Warren (the B1G Commissioner at the time) met with football players regarding revenue sharing and improved medical care.

The players were looking for:

* A to-be-determined percentage of media rights revenue.

* Medical care for players after their college careers have come to an end. Funds from the B1G would purchase medical insurance policies for former players that would cover the treatment of injuries from their college football careers.

Again, this is from 2 years ago, but if the B1G did not make significant progress on doing more for players, the players' next step could be to register as a 501(c)(5) labor organization and potentially begin the process of becoming a union.

Link to the Story:

Link to the related thread:

I've adjusted to nil and a percentage of media rights would be great as long as it has to be equal to players and schools. The union idea freaks me out. But this could boost the bigs recruiting for all teams until the other conferences join in. SEC would join immediately, lol. They have the highest nil deals in the country according to most. 3 million for a 17 year old qb is insane.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I've adjusted to nil and a percentage of media rights would be great as long as it has to be equal to players and schools. The union idea freaks me out. But this could boost the bigs recruiting for all teams until the other conferences join in. SEC would join immediately, lol. They have the highest nil deals in the country according to most. 3 million for a 17 year old qb is insane.

If they unionize, at what point do these "student athletes" become designated as employees?

and if that happens, do they pay taxes on the value of the following?
* Tuition, books
* Housing
* unlimited food
* professional coaching (hours x the going rate)
* professional training (hours x the going rate)

I'm actually not sad. We could get a true pg or watch the jump Harding takes. i think he'll improve a big amount. First freshman pg i trust to become a great player. Bowen is never going to be a p6 player. Except maybe at mizzou.

what's worrisome is we only have 2 guards currently on our roster

hopefully that changes soon

I'm going to be honest, I don't understand why a player like Tony would played for Iowa for 4 years, was a starter and had success, would transfer to Mizzou? Did he just decide he didn't like Iowa or Fran?

You don't understand?

We could ask Tony but here's a live look at him:

giphy.gif

He's never going to play in the NBA so why not take what he can get now?

If they unionize, at what point do these "student athletes" become designated as employees?

and if that happens, do they pay taxes on the value of the following?
* Tuition, books
* Housing
* unlimited food
* professional coaching (hours x the going rate)
* professional training (hours x the going rate)
It's a can of worms. Do they pay there own food, housing, and tuition? As employees they need to have a contract and add that bowl games are necessary too. No more sitting out. Contract and lawyer fees? Another possible bill for the professional college athletes. Yuck, pro college athletes makes me uncomfortable. If a player sucks he should be fired for not contributing and then we are in a gray area. If they become employees what guarantee does the school get? None. Employees should expect the same in return

Reactions: Franisdaman
Per Trilly Donavon, Tony got $400K. So not as much as Fran said (likely was using what TP's agent asked for) but not too far off to be honest.

Yep.

And I can't believe some posters think Fran would lie at a public event about the $500,000 asking price.

$500,000 was Tony's starting price. Iowa couldn't pay that so Tony/his agent shopped around.

Tony got $400,000 instead of $500,000.

Scott Dochterman was 100% when he wrote this:

I'm fine with him portal'ing out, no matter his rea$on ...and I appreciate that he understands what he is. From his X account:

Tony Perkins
@Saucy___T

Mizzou 🐯 MBB @
Professional Athlete stores.inksoft.com/tony_perkins_a…
Joined October 2015
I can’t really blame guys like him. Played your 4 and can make more as 5th year guy instead of going overseas. Bigger crowds, more relevant etc. all I know is I’m glad this is the last of the Covid classes.

Lastly hope perk quiets down online and doesn’t go full terry roberts arguing with iowa fans and says crap that alienated himself from the program by making some negative comments on his way out.

I can’t really blame guys like him. Played your 4 and can make more as 5th year guy instead of going overseas. Bigger crowds, more relevant etc. all I know is I’m glad this is the last of the Covid classes.

Lastly hope perk quiets down online and doesn’t go full terry roberts arguing with iowa fans and says crap that alienated himself from the program by making some negative comments on his way out.
Yeah, some Iowa mens "fans" are acting up and are embarrassing. If i was Tony I'd play for anyone that can fork out 400 grand.

I'd love to see a true pg in the portal. Heard we are in on a couple big guys. Fingers crossed. Bowen, Perkins, and pmac open up some scholarships

We have 10 on scholarship at the moment (you can have 13 on scholarship).

We only have 2 guards (Harding and Dix).

And Mulvey is not much of an option.

Current 2024-2025 Roster:

Freshmen: 2 players

6'7" PF Cooper Koch
6'8" PF Chris Tadjo

Sophomores: 4 players

6'10" C Owen Freeman
6'0" PG Brock Harding
6'7" PF Pryce Sandfort
6'8" PF Ladji Dembele

Juniors : 2 players

6'5" SG Josh Dix
6'11" C Riley Mulvey (***) -- on Nov 13, 2023 it was announced that Riley was redshirting the 2023-2024 season. He was originally scheduled to graduate in 2025.

Seniors: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort
6'9" F/C Even Brauns

4 Notable Walk on players:

Freshmen: 1 player

Trey Buchanan—6’1, 175, combo guard, a preferred walk-on. Trey is the son of Indiana Pacers GM Chad Buchanan.

Sophomores: 1 player

Spencer Hutchison-- 6'4 guard; a walk on.

Juniors: 1 player

Carter Kingsbury--a 2021 6'5", 230 lb shooting guard; a preferred walk on.

Seniors: 1 player

Luc Laketa--a 2021 6'6" wing/forward; a preferred walk on.

Reactions: Bishop-71
You've seen our current guard court? We'll see about that.
If we had 500 grand for a point i think we could get a really good one even at Iowa. I do think Harding and the other freshman will be good but how big a leap do they make? Does the new frosh make an impact? It's going to be an interesting season, at least for me.

I like how so many in this thread are saying "Oh god yeah he's definitely not worth $400k a year. you could get an amazing top tier point guard for that muchhhhhhh!!!!!1!!!"

When, in fact, you have no idea what these players are being paid. Tony got $400k so that just shows the ignorance on this board to what these players are worth. Tony was one of the best guards in the Big Ten conference. His skill and his experience are worth big money to a team looking for leadership.

A team can turn it around in one year with the right mix of players being brought in. Even a team that flailed as badly as mizzou last year could have a significant one year turnaround.
But beyond that, despite any X feed statements to the contrary, this is about getting paid. It makes absolute sense for a player with one year of eligibility left to to get the $$ while he can. Tony P. has a decent game. Is he an NBA level talent at his position? No. Can he make some money playing overseas? Seems likely. Why not make a few hundred K in the US first before plying his trade in Europe or wherever else he might end up?

As he said, it was not about the money, I'm guessing that in the after season meeting he had with Fran, Tony was told that Harding would be Fran's starting point guard next year.
Tony wants to become a point guard, end of story.
That could have been the scenario, who knows?
Either way, good luck to Tony, if it wasn't for Covid he would have served his 4 years and been gone anyway. Good player, not great, averaged just under 10 points a game for his 4 years at Iowa.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT