ADVERTISEMENT

Petras Friday

Wasn’t there a pretty healthy round of boos for Adam Shada on Senior Day back in the day? Hopefully I have that wrong, I haven’t been to a Senior Day since the one that included Bob Sanders.

No seniors should ever be booed on Senior Day. It’s a recognition of all the time and effort they’ve put into the Iowa football program and a really special moment for them and their families. Any fans who boo that are selfish a-holes that deserve their own public scorn.
Unfortunately there were. We did shame a fat a$$ redneck near us… seriously booing a multi year stater at a big ten school on their senior day. Pathetic.

Haven’t thought of this in a while….can see him now….if you’re into profiling, think a Qer or J6 insurrectionist - from the dress, belligerence, and his embarrassed girl friend. He was brutally critiqued, left early ready to puke on himself from the cheap booze and chew spit he swallowed that day

Spencer Petras is one of two QBs in the history of Iowa Football to win 12 straight games as a starting QB. 12 straight. CJ Beathard being the other. Let that sink in for a minute.

Listen...the offensive line play the past two years has been significantly below Iowa standards against quality defenses...and we are still in the hunt to win our second title. Everyone is correct, defense and special teams have been exceptional and have put us in position...but you still have to score points and not make mistakes. Petras made the plays necessary to get points even with the challenges on the OL and at WR.

Go back to the last six games of 2020...the covid year...he made huge plays in every game with his arm...at Penn State, at Minnesota, at Illinois, and at home against Wisconsin. That was the best offensive line he played with. The problem I have is that all people do is blame him for the loss to NW that year and our failure to make the B10 Championship....and don't give him credit for engineering those 6 wins.

Honestly...i hope he comes back. I hope we field an offensive line that is one of the top OLines in the conference...because with a consistent run game, and protection...I truly believe he would give us the chance to win 12 straight again. Think about it, he did it once...so you can't say it can't happen.

As far as Petras coming back, I think it depends on what the coaches think they have right now. If it came down to Petras coming back or Padilla starting with either Labas or May backing him up, I will choose to have Petras come back. I don't think Padilla is the answer. And to add to that, I think that if either Labas or May were the heir apparent, I think they would be #2 right now. Maybe not so much with May, but with Labas certainly. So if the coaches don't think that either Labas or May are the guy and they think that maybe Lainez is, then I think the best thing that could happen is for Petras to come back. Especially since just about everyone is back except for LaPorta and one would think that the o line will improve and the WR position should be better. Pair that with what should still be a very very good defense and special teams, it could be a very good year. Also, our 2023 schedule is front-loaded and so experience will be a huge plus.

Spencer Petras is one of two QBs in the history of Iowa Football to win 12 straight games as a starting QB. 12 straight. CJ Beathard being the other. Let that sink in for a minute.

Listen...the offensive line play the past two years has been significantly below Iowa standards against quality defenses...and we are still in the hunt to win our second title. Everyone is correct, defense and special teams have been exceptional and have put us in position...but you still have to score points and not make mistakes. Petras made the plays necessary to get points even with the challenges on the OL and at WR.

Go back to the last six games of 2020...the covid year...he made huge plays in every game with his arm...at Penn State, at Minnesota, at Illinois, and at home against Wisconsin. That was the best offensive line he played with. The problem I have is that all people do is blame him for the loss to NW that year and our failure to make the B10 Championship....and don't give him credit for engineering those 6 wins.

Honestly...i hope he comes back. I hope we field an offensive line that is one of the top OLines in the conference...because with a consistent run game, and protection...I truly believe he would give us the chance to win 12 straight again. Think about it, he did it once...so you can't say it can't happen.
I will be there Friday and I will genuinely cheer on all the seniors Including Spencer Petras!
However, Iowa won 12 straight games with Petras as QB but not because he was QB. Petras needs to move on.
(As does Brian)

because you have the opinion that Spencer Petras is "below average"... does that mean you are going to boo him on Friday?

my opinion is Spencer Petras is a great quarterback.
Never said anything about booing him.
I’m all in for wanting him to succeed . I’m saying I’ve seen very few performances from him that makes me think he’s anything but below average

I will be there Friday and I will genuinely cheer on all the seniors Including Spencer Petras!
However, Iowa won 12 straight games with Petras as QB but not because he was QB. Petras needs to move on.
(As does Brian)
Just questioning here what you think the solution is. Padilla? Or Labas, who couldn't beat out Padilla for #2? Or another guy we have never seen thrown a pass? I am not being critical, I am just curious.

Question for everyone:

In the B1G, would you take:

Mertz, either Minnesota QB, any NW QB, any Rutgers QB, any Indiana QB, Thorne or even O'Connell over Petras?

I wouldn't.

I would take Stroud and McCarthy for sure. I would take a healthy Clifford, I think he is a gamer. I would take the Maryland QB. Thompson would be a push for me because of the mistakes he makes, although his athleticism is a huge plus.

So Petras is definitely a D1 QB. Petras is also atleast an average B1G QB. Petras is not all B1G.

All season long I've seen posts that the fans aren't booing SP, they are booing the coaches.

We will find out on Friday if that's true.

Anyone that boos any Hawk player on Senior Day doesn't deserve to be a Hawk fan.

Evidently our coaching staff has been unable to recruit some decent QBs, so Petras looks good to them because they've coached him down to the point he won't make a lot of mistakes (or big plays, for that matter). If they encourage him to come back for another year, they are going to lose the good will of a lot of Hawk fans, but really, who else do they have. It's come down to the worst QB in the conference will be our best option. Sad.

yea... so... you won't boo him on Friday against Nebraska?
Nope not unless he stinks it up .
If you want to wear your black and gold sunglasses 24/7 that’s your right , but I’ve seen enough of Petras in 4 years to know what he is…

Wow. 3 tds in 4 games lol. Against 3 bad teams, and a very mediocre Minnesota team. That’s amazing! You actually think that’s proving he is good?
Cmon man. Go ahead and criticize when he plays poorly, but if you're a fan you should give him props when he plays well and he played well on Saturday even if the rest of the offense mostly sputtered. It's not his fault that the offense has been bad for most of the season. That falls upon the staff to produce results, good or bad. I guarantee you that Spencer has worked his ass off and wants to win more than anyone.

Reactions: Hawkeyegeorge12
Nope not unless he stinks it up .
If you want to wear your black and gold sunglasses 24/7 that’s your right , but I’ve seen enough of Petras in 4 years to know what he is…
What's the purpose of booing him exactly? Why does that give you satisfaction?

You're making him comparable to C. J. BEATHARD.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Correlation isn't necessarily causation, and a convincing argument could be made that many times we won in spite of him, versus because of him.

Having said that I'm looking forward to him having a good game Friday, but more so his LAST game in Kinnick.

Reactions: Bishop1971

Correlation isn't necessarily causation, and a convincing argument could be made that many times we won in spite of him, versus because of him.

Having said that I'm looking forward to him having a good game Friday, but more so his LAST game in Kinnick.
You know a whole bunch of know nothing tools at Nebraska said the same thing about Martinez. They were all dying to see him play his last game at Nebraska. They're every bit as bad this year. It wasn't Martinez that was the problem and now the entire staff is gone. Meanwhile Martinez is doing fine at K State. You're likely going to see the same thing or worse at Iowa next year if everything else that's wrong with this offense isn't fixed. Petras hasn't been great, but he's not the biggest issue with this offense that gained 59 yards on the ground this past week and 52 yards the week before.

Read my post. I never compared him to CJ. Not in the least. I said they share one distinction...and it's a big one. They are the only two QBs in the history of Iowa Football to win 12 straight games as a starter. I never once compared them.

We won in spite of him...ok...sure thing...that's brilliant. If you understand Iowa's offense...the QB is pretty damn important. In addition to the ball being in his hands every play, he's reading defenses, and changing plays at the line of scrimmage. He's not sitting in the shotgun and having his offensive coordinator read the defense for him and call the play for that defense from the sideline. He does it himself, and gets us in and out of plays and changes direction depending on how a defense is reacting to our formation. There's a ton on the QB, so I'm calling your "in spite of him" take pretty much bullshit.

For some reason, Iowa fans just don't give this kid a break. I think it's because at times Petras has looked confused/panicked and at times (early this season) he was struggling with mechanics and overthrowing guys. I get that. But Petras makes a ton of plays for this team...use Minnesota as an example...he made several great throws in this game in big moments including the throw to Lachey late. We won because of him in this game.

People also see him get sacked and say, "see he's immobile." Well, he's not supposed to get hit by guys 2 seconds after receiving the snap either. That play isn't on Petras...that failure 99% of the time is on the offensive line. Petras can throw it away maybe...but our problem has been extremely, extremely poor protection.

I'll also say it's really been shitty that Petras has had to play with what has been historical challenges with our offensive line this year. Is that fair to him? Have you ever heard him throw one guy under the bus...point a finger for failure...not take responsibility? NEVER.

You know a whole bunch of know nothing tools at Nebraska said the same thing about Martinez. They were all dying to see him play his last game at Nebraska. They're every bit as bad this year. It wasn't Martinez that was the problem and now the entire staff is gone. Meanwhile Martinez is doing fine at K State. You're likely going to see the same thing or worse at Iowa next year if everything else that's wrong with this offense isn't fixed. Petras hasn't been great, but he's not the biggest issue with this offense that gained 59 yards on the ground this past week and 52 yards the week before.
Yeah, in the last three weeks he hasn't been the biggest problem, but a strong case could be made he was at least equal to the biggest problem on the offense in the early games this year and late last year. He's been so bad that lately pedestrian QB performances have us thinking they were great.

For example, I have never seen a worse performance by an Iowa QB that what I saw at Ohio State. It was inexcusable. Even when he had time to throw he was horrific. Those INTs will go down as infamously bad.

Yes, the o-line sucks but that doesn't account for the schizophrenic passing when he HAD time, or throwing to the most covered receiver when one is running wide open. And I'm not getting into areas of epic inescapability or virtually zero pocket awareness.

He deserves an ovation for hanging in there while probably being the most tantrum inducing QB in Iowa's history. He's toughed it out, and somehow improved.

I only have to say, "Spencer, leave Kinnick on a good note!"

If he does that then he will have somehow played in two Big Ten Championship games. Go get 'em.

Last edited:
Read my post. I never compared him to CJ. Not in the least. I said they share one distinction...and it's a big one. They are the only two QBs in the history of Iowa Football to win 12 straight games as a starter. I never once compared them.
Yeah, that's called a comparison. That's what you told us to think about. You say "not in the least" but then say "it's a big one," lol. A big what? . . . a comparison concerning so many straight wins.

Ok, I've said enough about Spencer. And it's been said before.

I truly hope he ends well, and that he can be giddy about it, and it will be an amazing lesson on perseverance for all of us.

Yeah, that's called a comparison. That's what you told us to think about. You say "not in the least" but then say "it's a big one," lol. A big what? . . . a comparison concerning so many straight wins.

Ok, I've said enough about Spencer. And it's been said before.

I truly hope he ends well, and that he can be giddy about it, and it will be an amazing lesson on perseverance for all of us.
Yeah...you don't know what a comparison is.

Reactions: F5n5
Question for everyone:

In the B1G, would you take:

Mertz, either Minnesota QB, any NW QB, any Rutgers QB, any Indiana QB, Thorne or even O'Connell over Petras?

I wouldn't.

I would take Stroud and McCarthy for sure. I would take a healthy Clifford, I think he is a gamer. I would take the Maryland QB. Thompson would be a push for me because of the mistakes he makes, although his athleticism is a huge plus.

So Petras is definitely a D1 QB. Petras is also atleast an average B1G QB. Petras is not all B1G.
Stats say you are wrong

We won in spite of him...ok...sure thing...that's brilliant. If you understand Iowa's offense...the QB is pretty damn important. In addition to the ball being in his hands every play, he's reading defenses, and changing plays at the line of scrimmage. He's not sitting in the shotgun and having his offensive coordinator read the defense for him and call the play for that defense from the sideline. He does it himself, and gets us in and out of plays and changes direction depending on how a defense is reacting to our formation. There's a ton on the QB, so I'm calling your "in spite of him" take pretty much bullshit.

For some reason, Iowa fans just don't give this kid a break. I think it's because at times Petras has looked confused/panicked and at times (early this season) he was struggling with mechanics and overthrowing guys. I get that. But Petras makes a ton of plays for this team...use Minnesota as an example...he made several great throws in this game in big moments including the throw to Lachey late. We won because of him in this game.

People also see him get sacked and say, "see he's immobile." Well, he's not supposed to get hit by guys 2 seconds after receiving the snap either. That play isn't on Petras...that failure 99% of the time is on the offensive line. Petras can throw it away maybe...but our problem has been extremely, extremely poor protection.

I'll also say it's really been shitty that Petras has had to play with what has been historical challenges with our offensive line this year. Is that fair to him? Have you ever heard him throw one guy under the bus...point a finger for failure...not take responsibility? NEVER.
Iowa beat Minnesota because of the defense. You can't spin your way into thinking 13 points is ever anything but disappointing. Iowa legitimately has a case that they have the best defense in the country. With an average offense, this is a playoff team. Winning in spite of is absolutely apt.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
I hope Spencer does join the other 26 to be honored on Senior Day

Can anyone tells us who the other 26 are?

I think even the most cynical and disenchanted Iowa fans who are in attendance would have the decency to give SP proper applause and recognition on Senior Day. I must admit, though - it sure does help that the team turned around its fortunes. I don't want to think about what it would have been like on Friday if the season had continued its downward spiral.

I would hope still cheer. He still chose to be a Hawk.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Cmon man. Go ahead and criticize when he plays poorly, but if you're a fan you should give him props when he plays well and he played well on Saturday even if the rest of the offense mostly sputtered. It's not his fault that the offense has been bad for most of the season. That falls upon the staff to produce results, good or bad. I guarantee you that Spencer has worked his ass off and wants to win more than anyone.
On the money post. IMO, perfectly/accurately stated.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Iowa beat Minnesota because of the defense. You can't spin your way into thinking 13 points is ever anything but disappointing. Iowa legitimately has a case that they have the best defense in the country. With an average offense, this is a playoff team. Winning in spite of is absolutely apt.
Lets dive a little deeper, shall we?

Because of Minnesota's ball control offense and our defense not able to stop the run the possessions in this game were going to be very limited. Iowa had 3 real possessions in the first half and 5 in the second half for a total of 8.

Possession 1: the big pass to LaPorta put them in FG range, but a 2nd down sack on the bad snap really killed that drive.
Possession 2: TD
Possession 3: They had a couple of first downs, moved the ball from the 25 to MN 39, but then the bad snap over Petras' head took them out of being able to do anything on 4th down.
Possession 4: moved the ball to midfield from the 25 but missed on 3rd and 5 with throw to Lachey. Nobody's fault there, he was covered
Possession 5: Moved the ball from the 25 to MN 26, but then the corner blitz for a 10 yard loss that was much more on Ostrenga than Petras. Remember Ostrenga was playing due to LaPorta being out.
Possession 6: First 3 and out but this is the miss to Ragaini. It was there, Ragaini could have should have caught it. I don't blame Petras much because he had to put some zip on that throw because of the wind because if that throw hangs up its coming back the other way. It happens. Punt from our 41.
Possession 7: This is after the fumble and backed up at our own 9. 3 incompletions in a row resulted in a 3 and out. This was the most vulnerable possession of the game and one where the offense really needed to put 2-3 first downs together to flip the field like they had done all day.
Possession 8: After the interception, the big play to Lachey and the FG.

While you are correct that we only scored 13 points, the offense did its part in all except 1 of the 8 possessions to either score or flip the field. The reason why we won, aside from the turnovers, when Minnesota ran it down our throats is because they consistently had a really long field to go.

Do not lose sight of the fact that everyone we have played has a really, really good defense, especially MN, IL, WI, OSU, MI and ISU. All of those defenses are elite and especially if they can generate negative plays and get the other team into one-dimensional situations. I don't know what the stats are, but I would venture to say the percentage of drives that are killed after a negative play of any kind, let along a 10 yard sack, is very very high.

So to cap it off, of the 8 possessions that Iowa had, 3 ended in scores, 2 were killed with bad snaps, 1 killed with a missed protection on a blitz, 1 killed with a drop or missed connection on a definite explosive play, and the other was when we were backed inside our 10 yard line. This offense is not dynamic, few are, but if they can stay out of the negative plays and make the makeables, the scheme will continue to churn out wins. It is what it is all about.

Unfortunately there were. We did shame a fat a$$ redneck near us… seriously booing a multi year stater at a big ten school on their senior day. Pathetic.

Haven’t thought of this in a while….can see him now….if you’re into profiling, think a Qer or J6 insurrectionist - from the dress, belligerence, and his embarrassed girl friend. He was brutally critiqued, left early ready to puke on himself from the cheap booze and chew spit he swallowed that day
Of maybe an Antifa rioter? Or are they too sophisticated?🤦🏻‍♂️

Lets dive a little deeper, shall we?

Because of Minnesota's ball control offense and our defense not able to stop the run the possessions in this game were going to be very limited. Iowa had 3 real possessions in the first half and 5 in the second half for a total of 8.

Possession 1: the big pass to LaPorta put them in FG range, but a 2nd down sack on the bad snap really killed that drive.
Possession 2: TD
Possession 3: They had a couple of first downs, moved the ball from the 25 to MN 39, but then the bad snap over Petras' head took them out of being able to do anything on 4th down.
Possession 4: moved the ball to midfield from the 25 but missed on 3rd and 5 with throw to Lachey. Nobody's fault there, he was covered
Possession 5: Moved the ball from the 25 to MN 26, but then the corner blitz for a 10 yard loss that was much more on Ostrenga than Petras. Remember Ostrenga was playing due to LaPorta being out.
Possession 6: First 3 and out but this is the miss to Ragaini. It was there, Ragaini could have should have caught it. I don't blame Petras much because he had to put some zip on that throw because of the wind because if that throw hangs up its coming back the other way. It happens. Punt from our 41.
Possession 7: This is after the fumble and backed up at our own 9. 3 incompletions in a row resulted in a 3 and out. This was the most vulnerable possession of the game and one where the offense really needed to put 2-3 first downs together to flip the field like they had done all day.
Possession 8: After the interception, the big play to Lachey and the FG.

While you are correct that we only scored 13 points, the offense did its part in all except 1 of the 8 possessions to either score or flip the field. The reason why we won, aside from the turnovers, when Minnesota ran it down our throats is because they consistently had a really long field to go.

Do not lose sight of the fact that everyone we have played has a really, really good defense, especially MN, IL, WI, OSU, MI and ISU. All of those defenses are elite and especially if they can generate negative plays and get the other team into one-dimensional situations. I don't know what the stats are, but I would venture to say the percentage of drives that are killed after a negative play of any kind, let along a 10 yard sack, is very very high.

So to cap it off, of the 8 possessions that Iowa had, 3 ended in scores, 2 were killed with bad snaps, 1 killed with a missed protection on a blitz, 1 killed with a drop or missed connection on a definite explosive play, and the other was when we were backed inside our 10 yard line. This offense is not dynamic, few are, but if they can stay out of the negative plays and make the makeables, the scheme will continue to churn out wins. It is what it is all about.
Make all the excuses the want. Hes last in big ten QBR (by a wide margin), hes 109th out of 121 in D1, the offense ranks 2nd worst in the country in YPG (worst in the Big Ten), 8th worst in PPG in the nation/2nd worst in the big ten (despite the defense consistently setting them up w/ very favorable conditions).

Rationalize it all you want, hes the worst player on the worst offense in the most important position.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Make all the excuses the want. Hes last in big ten QBR (by a wide margin), hes 109th out of 121 in D1, the offense ranks 2nd worst in the country in YPG (worst in the Big Ten), 8th worst in PPG in the nation/2nd worst in the big ten (despite the defense consistently setting them up w/ very favorable conditions).

Rationalize it all you want, hes the worst player on the worst offense in the most important position.
But yet he is going to take his team to back-to-back B1G west championships. Something that Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois have not done, all while they have arguably comparable defenses, better offensive lines by a wide margin and better skill position talent. And we had to play OSU and Michigan, something nobody else in the west had to do and Purdue and Minnesota played neither. And while he has by far the worst offensive line in the conference, starting a true freshmen running back, and by far the most depleted and least talented receiving room in the league. But they are probably going to Indy 2 times in a row.

He deserves more credit than what you are giving him, and the rest of the whiny fans are giving him? Is he the best QB in the league? No, he is not. But he is a winner and you can't deny that.

But yet he is going to take his team to back-to-back B1G west championships. Something that Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois have not done, all while they have arguably comparable defenses, better offensive lines by a wide margin and better skill position talent. And we had to play OSU and Michigan, something nobody else in the west had to do and Purdue and Minnesota played neither. And while he has by far the worst offensive line in the conference, starting a true freshmen running back, and by far the most depleted and least talented receiving room in the league. But they are probably going to Indy 2 times in a row.

He deserves more credit than what you are giving him, and the rest of the whiny fans are giving him? Is he the best QB in the league? No, he is not. But he is a winner and you can't deny that.
No, the defense, special teams, Phil, and unbalanced divisions may be taking them to Indy. SP (and the entire offense for that matter) are beneficieries of those factors and just along for the ride. AKA in spite of, not because of.

No, the defense, special teams, Phil, and unbalanced divisions may be taking them to Indy. SP (and the entire offense for that matter) are beneficieries of those factors and just along for the ride. AKA in spite of, not because of.
How can you claim unbalanced divisions when we played undoubtedly the 2 hardest teams and nobody else did? No question the defense and special teams are the best two units of this team, but, don't kid yourself to think that you don't have to have a capable QB to win this division.

Reactions: F5n5
How can you claim unbalanced divisions when we played undoubtedly the 2 hardest teams and nobody else did? No question the defense and special teams are the best two units of this team, but, don't kid yourself to think that you don't have to have a capable QB to win this division.
Because the other 7 opponents are average to suck....
What part of 109th QBR (last by a significant margin in the conference) and an offense ranked last or 2nd to last in the conference is not clicking with you? How can you assign any credit to a unit and player that are, literally, the worst?

Because the other 7 opponents are average to suck....
What part of 109th QBR (last by a significant margin in the conference) and an offense ranked last or 2nd to last in the conference is not clicking with you? How can you assign any credit to a unit and player that are, literally, the worst?
Statistically speaking, the numbers for Petras are absolutely terrible...I wouldn't suggest otherwise. And, earlier in the season (first half) he made some terrible-looking plays from time to time. However....did you ever consider the following:

The root cause of most of the bad plays and poor stats for Petras was the O line (first and foremost), poor receivers (very limited with injuries), and no run game. And....isn't it possible that any other D1 QB that you would consider average or pretty solid overall would have similar if not worse stats than Petras?

I am not suggesting that Petras is a great QB. I'm only suggesting that he has most likely accomplished every bit as much as any other average D1 QB would have....given the circumstances he had to work with. Spencer Petras is not nearly as bad as the stats suggest.....and to say otherwise isn't fair to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT