ADVERTISEMENT

Playing with only 1 guard will cost us wins.

Bowen was impressive in his time out there today. I’m sure Fran knows what he has in the kid, but at least the fans got to see a little of it.
I think he's easily going to be Frans best pg soon.

Hes all the things that people pretended Toussaint was.

Having more quickness on the court will help Pat, Peyton and Kris get better looks from 3 too.

The 4 forward lineup is just not quite quick enough IMO.

Still think Fran knows what he is doing with his rotations and I am not concerned about our offense. And defense it’s better than it has ever been under Fran.
The defense was frustrating today because they weren't switching for some reason.

They must of been afraid of Clemson bigs posting guards on the switch but not switching is what allowed their guards to go downhill at the rim durring their comeback.

I hate seeing that. Would much rather take the chance on guards fronting bigs.

This kind of stuff isn't what sound defensive teams do. You should defend screens 1 way all the time so that everyone knows what's going on and you keep getting better at it as a team and by the time March comes around you don't even have to think about it.

I think Peyton off the pine for Kris or Patrick, keeping 2 of the three in almost all of the minutes. Ahron becomes the new point guard, and turn up the pace even more? Tony P in a scrambled court is a dangerous weapon. Kris and Patrick can get lose. Ahron can take it all the way. Filip has turned into a good rebounder and is creeping closer to a double/double average.

Then let the tired starters or inferior reserves chase Peyton and Dasonte around for several minutes. Connor just plays the "Connor" position, a little bit of everything and a lot of tough and timely rebounds and loose balls. Gabe can provide a little time. Unless something is really weird that's about as deep as the bench needs to go.​

I honestly didn't think Fran was smart enough to play this starting lineup. There's a huge drop-off when Perkins isn't out there. Clemson made their run yesterday isolating Ulis in ball screens. Perkins came back in and Iowa actually got stops. The starting lineup is the best lineup Iowa has. Sandfort rebounding is getting underlooked in this thread.

The defense was frustrating today because they weren't switching for some reason.

They must of been afraid of Clemson bigs posting guards on the switch but not switching is what allowed their guards to go downhill at the rim durring their comeback.

This kind of stuff isn't what sound defensive teams do. You should defend screens 1 way all the time so that everyone knows what's going on and you keep getting better at it as a team and by the time March comes around you don't even have to think about it.
*must have / must’ve

I think Peyton off the pine for Kris or Patrick, keeping 2 of the three in almost all of the minutes. Ahron becomes the new point guard, and turn up the pace even more? Tony P in a scrambled court is a dangerous weapon. Kris and Patrick can get lose. Ahron can take it all the way. Filip has turned into a good rebounder and is creeping closer to a double/double average.

Then let the tired starters or inferior reserves chase Peyton and Dasonte around for several minutes. Connor just plays the "Connor" position, a little bit of everything and a lot of tough and timely rebounds and loose balls. Gabe can provide a little time. Unless something is really weird that's about as deep as the bench needs to go.​
Unless Payton comes around, this is where I see us headed as well. But I’m certainly not giving up on Payton yet. With Ulis and Bowen playing well, it certainly opens up some option.

The defense was pretty good until about the last 8 minutes of the game when Clemson got into desperate/attack mode. Iowa did not handle that very well.

Slight disagreement on ball screens. My opinion only, but defensively you have to be able to play ball screens different ways depending on the opponent and what they do well. There are times it make sense to switch everything. Other times it makes sense to hard hedge/double, or even go under.

Sometimes the opponent just figures things out and gets in a rhythm and you are left kind of hanging on like Iowa did. Clemson is a decent opponent, that should be a Quad 2 win at worst.

I was hopeful it would work, but I'm starting to agree. Ulis has also played exceptionally well to start the year. He's never going to be as big of an offensive threat as Payton, but you gain so much on defense and facilitation that it really does not matter. Ulis and Bowen are playing off of each other well as 2 PGs on the floor. No reason that Perk and Ulis can't do the same.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I think the rotations are fine for the most part. In the second half Fran probably tried to keep Perkins on the bench a couple minutes too long while Clemson started attacking.

On the other hand, Perkins is nursing an injury and maybe that played into Fran's thinking.

Clemson isn't particularly good, but they are physical and that has been tough on previous Fran teams. Pretty happy Iowa could shoot poorly and still beat this type of team.

This is the time To be try different combinations instead of when we
Start league play.
When are you guys going to realize that Fran is going to play whomever he feels will give Iowa the chance to win the game.
This is no different then going on the football board and complaining that Kirk should bench Petras to give Iowa a chance to win. How did that work out.
You're not going to influence Fran to chance his lineup any more then you can influence Kirk in replacing his starting quarterback.
Iowa has 2 stubborn coaches that knows more then we do and the result is, the football team lost 5 games and the basketball team will eventually lose at least 10 games. That is the Iowa way. .

• Haha
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Without 2 guards on the court the majority of the time you are not going to get enough penetration on offense and you will give up too much penetration on defense.

Sandfort is not a guard, Patrick is not a guard.

Give it up Fran, play normal lineups.
Agree. The 3 forward 1 Center lineup against more athletic teams is a recipe for disaster, even more so on defense. Hopefully Perk gets healthy (he’s clearly not) and this is a good learning experience for the other guys. With the big lineup it’s so easy to screen and roll us to death or kick out for a 3 or dribble drive.

Sandfort offers a lot. Quickness and slashing are not 2 of those things. He's athletically overmatched against good 2 guards, but can play decent enough D using his size, smarts and teammate support to get the job done. On the offensive end, though, he is a perimeter player with little to no threat to drive.

Without 2 guards on the court the majority of the time you are not going to get enough penetration on offense and you will give up too much penetration on defense.

We’ve both been saying this since before the season began RnR. Couldn’t agree more

Reactions: RocknRollface
When Iowa extended the lead late against Seton Hall, Kris didn’t score or assist on 23 straight points late in the 2nd half. That’s because of what Ahron and Tony did late.

A tight game became a double digit win. Here a double digit win turned into a 1 possession game.

Every team needs their best player to be great. Kris is that guy. But Iowa’s success late will hinge on Tony, Ahron, and Dasonte. I don’t expect 40 minutes of at least two of those guys on the floor even if I want it, but they should definitely be the closing lineup.

When are you guys going to realize that Fran is going to play whomever he feels will give Iowa the chance to win the game.
This is no different then going on the football board and complaining that Kirk should bench Petras to give Iowa a chance to win. How did that work out.
You're not going to influence Fran to chance his lineup any more then you can influence Kirk in replacing his starting quarterback.
Iowa has 2 stubborn coaches that knows more then we do and the result is, the football team lost 5 games and the basketball team will eventually lose at least 10 games. That is the Iowa way. .
You mean Fran and Kirk don’t read these threads to get tips on how they should coach and who they should play??? Wow, I didn’t realize that I have been wasting so much of my time. Thanks for letting me know!!!

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Where in my post did I make any statement of the sort? I agree with you in what you say about Fran and playing who gives them a best chance to win. That's why he's trying to figure out before league play starts. Calm down.

I honestly didn't think Fran was smart enough to play this starting lineup. There's a huge drop-off when Perkins isn't out there. Clemson made their run yesterday isolating Ulis in ball screens. Perkins came back in and Iowa actually got stops. The starting lineup is the best lineup Iowa has. Sandfort rebounding is getting underlooked in this thread.
No, they were clearly not isolating Ulis, they were screening him which is completely different.

Rebraca was hedging the screen then going back to his man leaving Ulis to attempt to recover.

I already pointed this out.

The proper way to stop that is to just switch.

Its far more difficult to get down hill against a switch than against a guy trying to recover.

The defense was pretty good until about the last 8 minutes of the game when Clemson got into desperate/attack mode. Iowa did not handle that very well.

Slight disagreement on ball screens. My opinion only, but defensively you have to be able to play ball screens different ways depending on the opponent and what they do well. There are times it make sense to switch everything. Other times it makes sense to hard hedge/double, or even go under.

Sometimes the opponent just figures things out and gets in a rhythm and you are left kind of hanging on like Iowa did. Clemson is a decent opponent, that should be a Quad 2 win at worst.
I understand the thought process, obviously Fran agrees with you but personally I would rather do it one way all the time as long as you don't have a true big in at the 5. Just my opinion.

Rebraca wasn't really doing an effective hedge, which is kind of my point. Hes not doing it right because its not what he's been doing up to this point.

to hedge effectively you have to get on top of the screen early and ride the ballhandler backwards away from the hoop giving your teamate time to get back.

If you don't turn him around it accomplishes nothing, the 1st defender never has the chance to get back in front.

Rebraca is good at switching.

Guard recruiting and play has hurt iowa for the past decade. Maybe Perkins and Uhlis and co can change the narrative this year.

Yep. Move PS back to the first 3 off the bench and a few 4 minutes. Start Ulis and TP and rotate Bowen between both 1 and 2. Sneak Dix a few minutes where possible.

Agreeing with a few others here, I think Sandfort has great things ahead of him, but for now, I’d rather start Ulis or Bowen (or even Connor), and use PS as an offensive spark off the bench.

Reactions: amahawk
No, they were clearly not isolating Ulis, they were screening him which is completely different.

Rebraca was hedging the screen then going back to his man leaving Ulis to attempt to recover.

I already pointed this out.

The proper way to stop that is to just switch.

Its far more difficult to get down hill against a switch than against a guy trying to recover.
Yes and they did the same thing with Perkins with less success because he's better at keeping people in front of him.

Iowa would be getting run out of this gym if not for Ulis and Bowen.

Trying to play with only one guard on the floor is retarded and should never be a thing.

Reactions: amahawk
Iowa would be getting run out of this gym if not for Ulis and Bowen.

Trying to play with only one guard on the floor is retarded and should never be a thing.
Iowa's getting destroyed in the paint in this game on both ends of the floor tonight. Not sure getting smaller is going to help. 2-12 from 3 makes it really difficult to win.

Iowa's getting destroyed in the paint in this game on both ends of the floor tonight. Not sure getting smaller is going to help. 2-12 from 3 makes it really difficult to win.
Getting smaller helps keep their guards out of the paint.

Getting smaller helps you not turn the ball over 5 times to start the half.

Yeah 2-12 pretty much kills any chance but playing Sandfort and Patrick at the 2-3 together pretty much does that too.

You cannot play basketball at this level with 1 guard on the floor.

Yeah 2-12 pretty much kills any chance but playing Sandfort and Patrick at the 2-3 together pretty much does that too.

Yea. Iowa is kind of strange. Like when you have our starting lineup you start four guys that are 6’8” to 6’9” and Perkins. So you think you are good rebounding wise. But everyone one of those four guys besides Rebraca, is a below average rebounder, and even Rebraca is really undersized. Doesn’t bode well when we play teams like TCU that just want to make it a physical grind it out game.

Yea. Iowa is kind of strange. Like when you have our starting lineup you start four guys that are 6’8” to 6’9” and Perkins. So you think you are good rebounding wise. But everyone one of those four guys besides Rebraca, is a below average rebounder, and even Rebraca is really undersized. Doesn’t bode well when we play teams like TCU that just want to make it a physical grind it out game.

Murray isn't a below average rebounder. He had 10 tonight and 12 yesterday.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight etc... correct? So we've been starting 4 guys from 6'8" to 6'9" every game, and we're still getting pounded on the glass, and we can't defend the post. A lot of those scores in close we're by guards getting in the lane because we've got 6'9" guys on the perimeter trying to guard guys who they can't stay in front of.

Exactly. Our 6'9 guys can't defend a guard, and at least in Pmac's case he's not getting the glass most of the time either, so.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT