ADVERTISEMENT

PREDICTION POLL: WILL IOWA LAND A PORTAL QB?

Will Iowa land a Portal QB?

• YES, and I predict he will ultimately beat out Cade for qb1.

• YES, and he will be qb2 at start of season.

• YES, they eventually find someone but he will be qb3 at start of season.

• NO, Iowa had interest from a few candidates but could not find the "right fit".

• NO, Iowa reached out to multiple candidates late & nobody wanted to come.

• I have no idea but i still want to vote to see the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Another interesting question is whether all five former Iowa QBs who entered the portal after the 2023 season will get signed for next season. So far, Petras and Labas are already with new programs while Hogan and May have been awaiting opportunities and Hill is set to join them. All the scholarship QBs on Iowa's roster during Fall 2021 through Spring 2023 have been in the portal at least once. Only Padilla has exhausted his eligbility.

For any confused people wanting to participate in my 'flawed poll', please add 'at start of season' at end of option 1. ThnkU 🙏

Ps Hogan signed with NMSU already.

I actually think a portal QB will be brought in and I think he and Cade will get reps on the field the first three games. Then a starter will be named. Similar to JJ and Cade at Michigan, except Cade got hurt. Hoping he stays healthy and has a great final season.

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
Another interesting question is whether all five former Iowa QBs who entered the portal after the 2023 season will get signed for next season. So far, Petras and Labas are already with new programs while Hogan and May have been awaiting opportunities and Hill is set to join them. All the scholarship QBs on Iowa's roster during Fall 2021 through Spring 2023 have been in the portal at least once. Only Padilla has exhausted his eligbility.
That is impressive attrition. It's almost as if the team didn't have an OC or QB coach who could identify QB talent or develop it worth a sh#t, much less develop any kind of rapport with his players.

Edit - Deuce is committed to NM State

Last edited:
Reactions: peacehawk
I actually think a portal QB will be brought in and I think he and Cade will get reps on the field the first three games. Then a starter will be named. Similar to JJ and Cade at Michigan, except Cade got hurt. Hoping he stays healthy and has a great final season.
That seems likely to me too...and I wish i had added tht option to the poll...that they basically are 'tied' at end of camp. I imagine Iowa would list Cade first out of loyalty initially....so tht wld be option 2 in poll..somebodies got to trot out thr first.

For any confused people wanting to participate in my 'flawed poll', please add 'at start of season' at end of option 1. ThnkU 🙏

Ps Hogan signed with NMSU already.
My bad. This is a message board. Data reliability isn’t a priority here, so I didn't need to critique the survey instrument.

That is impressive attrition. It's almost as if the team didn't have an OC or QB coach who could identify QB talent or develop it worth a sh#t, much less develop any kind of rapport with his players.

Edit - Deuce is committed to NM State
Yes, I'd forgotten that Deuce had signed. Hope it works out better for him there.

I was also including the incoming guys, so besides the attrition Cade and Deac were portal additions.

Ken O'Keefe was the QB coach through the 2021 season, so he was involved in identifying and developing QB talent in relation to Petras, Padilla, Hogan, and Labas. He probably had some input in recruiting May. How much of the blame does he share?

Last edited:
Reactions: kceasthawk
For board meltdown purposes I'm hoping Hill changes his mind about the portal and returns.
From what I’ve heard, that’s not an option with less than 0% chance of ever seeing the field again as a Hawkeye so that’s why he entered the portal.

Sounds like Lester is turning the offense into a real offense and not feel good stories or those hard to have conversations with players and coaches. Someone has to be the bad guy in turning this shiat show of an offense around. I’ll predict after this season, the WR and OL coaches will decide to leave so TL can fill the positions with his people.

From what I’ve heard, that’s not an option with less than 0% chance of ever seeing the field again as a Hawkeye so that’s why he entered the portal.

Sounds like Lester is turning the offense into a real offense and not feel good stories or those hard to have conversations with players and coaches. Someone has to be the bad guy in turning this shiat show of an offense around. I’ll predict after this season, the WR and OL coaches will decide to leave so TL can fill the positions with his people.
I'm not sure KF will let TL just pick his offensive coaches. The last time he did that, he got burned with Bobby Kennedy and Chris White.

And in order to be able to have the capital built up to convince KF to let him go get "his guys" for the coaching staff, the offense will need to show good improvement this year....but if that happens, KF will say that there's no need to bring in new guys as the guys currently there are obviously working. And if the offense doesn't show marked improvement, TL won't have the capital built up to make that kind of request.

Your comment assumes Cade last three games before an injury (which I don't wish on anyone.)

Yes, I'd forgotten that Deuce had signed. Hope it works out better for him there.

I was also including the incoming guys, so besides the attrition Cade and Deac were portal additions.

Ken O'Keefe was the QB coach through the 2021 season, so he was in involved in identifying and developing QB talent in relation to Petras, Padilla, Hogan, and Labas. He probably had some input in recruiting May. How much of the blame does he share?
Not gonna start ripping on KOK, as he was our best OC in the past 25 years, but he certainly has some of the blame to share. Let's just say that it's natural to not put quite as much work and enthusiasm into your job when you're on the cusp of retirement compared to when you're trying to earn/keep your job and establish your career. Don't have to look farther than KF to see that reality.

For board meltdown purposes I'm hoping Hill changes his mind about the portal and returns.
Get Him Out GIF

:)

I have no idea, but how's this compare to other D1 programs? Any QB who wants playing time & gets relegated to 2nd or 3rd string for multiple years is probably hitting the portal. And if nothing else they end up playing at lesser programs.

Anyone have stats or further insight on this?

I don’t know about both getting game reps, but I do think they’ll snag a quarterback out of the portal.

Most likely, he will be given the opportunity to compete for the starting quarterback job and if he ends up the backup will be expected to fill in if Cade can’t go.

My guess is he will draw comparisons to Chuck Long or Brad Banks because he will be night and day better than what we’ve seen the last three seasons. Should he start, and if he averages 180 yards passing, puts up 10 TDs to 5 INTs, with a completion percentage of 60%, some on here will want to anoint him the second coming of Tom Brady.

That’s how bafflingly bad quarterback play has been the last 3-4 years.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
I voted, but there should have been a none of the above option. Why should a team who already has Deacon Hill feel rushed to "upgrade"?

I like what Lester has been able to accomplish so far. As we all know it is not easy to wrestle control away from Kirk.

I have to think it was Coach Lester's recommendation to move on from Hill. I have a feeling based on last year and this spring so far, that if it were up to Kirk and Brian, if he were still here, DH would still be at Iowa, which means everything was hinging on Cade's ability to stay healthy, and Marco would still be #3 and he probably would have have hit the portal.
Tim comes in, sees the mess, sees Cade is 50/50 at best and says we first have to get Marco to #2, then we have to be honest with Deacon and tell him he is not going to be playing at Iowa, and then we have to get a portal QB in here to compete with Cade. Hopefully it is someone who can compete for #1 spot.

TL may just try to limp through this year with CM and ML, he has Resar coming in that is a very athletic QB. This will also give TL time to recruit "his" players for 2025 and beyond.

Really it's all going to come down to OLine play if it can do it's job it won't matter. I don't know if they will be able to grab a ok qb what are you going to offer.
A starting role?
At best your #2 if that's the case what about Labas he to good of an athlete to be sitting on the side lines. Let's convert him to another role

Have not heard of one coming for a visit....but that might not mean everything if Lester knows him and they can have a video call. We heard of the OL coming. We hear of a basketball recruit coming to visit....you would think we would hear if a QB is on his way to visit. Maybe not.

I'm not sure KF will let TL just pick his offensive coaches. The last time he did that, he got burned with Bobby Kennedy and Chris White.

And in order to be able to have the capital built up to convince KF to let him go get "his guys" for the coaching staff, the offense will need to show good improvement this year....but if that happens, KF will say that there's no need to bring in new guys as the guys currently there are obviously working. And if the offense doesn't show marked improvement, TL won't have the capital built up to make that kind of request.

Unfortunately this is true

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT