ADVERTISEMENT

Prepare for NIT

Ive been as critical of the D as most, but two things.

We can't guard anyone in man, its pretty ridiculous but they can play better, especially once they get in more of a groove in the zone. We saw them play better last year.

Second, dont underestimate the Baer factor. He raises the intensity level significantly. Hes the leader of this team whether he starts or not.

Even with the shortcommings on D I think this team has so much offensive fire power they can win enough games to get into the tourney. When JBO, Moss, Baer, Nunge, Garza, Cook and Pemsl all have it going they will be hard to stop. I think they will be able to just out score allot of opponents.

If were going to just outscore teams we better hit freethrows though.

Baer is the X factor to the defense, he led the team in rebounding, blocked shots and most importantly STEALS and Baer is not the most athletic nor faster player on the team. what he does have is the anticipation to get steals. and he got better in his 3rd year in the program vs most of these that are just in their 2nd or 1st seasons.
this is where coaching comes in developing non 1 n done players.

Baer is the X factor to the defense, he led the team in rebounding, blocked shots and most importantly STEALS and Baer is not the most athletic nor faster player on the team. what he does have is the anticipation to get steals. and he got better in his 3rd year in the program vs most of these that are just in their 2nd or 1st seasons.

Why is he not the most athletic and fast?

Because he is white? Typical from fans like you.

nope that's why he started out as a walk on. Baer is a very Hi BB IQ Player, besides there's more to the game than being fast or Athletic, IF Baer would had more of what posters want he would have got scholarships from higher level schools.

give me a Hi IQ Player everytime. also Baer has been improving EVERY ASPECT of his game EVERY GAME, something I expect this group to do.

I'd say because you don't see him playing above the rim a lot, doesn't lead the break often, sometimes gets blown by on defense, usually only blocks a shot when coming off his own guy, and at 6'9"and a decent shooter wasn't recruited by anyone. I love me some Baer but i think you have to be legally blind if you think he is the most athletic or fast He's no Aaron White or Adam Haluska athletically.

these were the stats that made him the BT 6th Man
197 rebounds led the team, 48 steals led the team and 43 blocks led the team.
hmm me thinks he has put himself in a very good position to be considered the best defender on the team and Baer is only 6'7 not 6'9,

timing and having a high BB IQ does wonders. in anticipation of where the ball is and where its going.

watch Garza he is another with a High BB IQ and great anticipation as to where the ball is at and where its going,

Fran being his father has nothing to do with his rating, he got those rating because of what he did on the AAU Circuit and the NBPA Top 100 camp and Nike Top 100 camp.

but with your superior knowledge vs the ExNBA Players that run the NBPA Camp, we should just take your word for it,

oh by the way which NBA Team are you a paid scout for?

I scout for the DB league. You're high on my prospect list.

I didnt slam you earlier in my post. I made an observation about Connor based on the few games I watched him play in HS. Don't get your panties in a wad, I could be wrong and Connor could be the second coming of white chocolate with a long NBA career shooting his set shot from Beyond The Arc.

Last edited:
I scout for the DB league. You're high on my prospect list.

I didnt slam you earlier in my post. I made an observation about Connor based on the few games I watched him play in HS. Don't get your panties in a wad, I could be wrong and Connor could be the second coming of white chocolate with a long NBA career shooting his set shot from Beyond The Arc.
a lot of players use a set shot, nothing wrong with that and there is no reason to doubt the abilities of a 4* player either.

It’s the same problem Iowa b-ball has always had TOO DAMN WHITE! Most white guys have their feet in cement on defense and struggle taking a defender off the dribble on offense. I know, I know, I must be a racist but it’s true. The same reason you never see a white cornerback in football. No lateral quickness. Again, I must be racist since there has not been a white cornerback in the NFL forever. Iowa hasn’t had a white cornerback for decades. Facts, not racism.[/

as normal...you people exaggerate everything ..."most white guys have their feet in cement on defense"....really cement?????

yep every single white guy has no lateral quickness...NO MEANS NONE...zero. You do understand simple math...right?

I'll bet you believe it is the ankle bone...

Here is what I believe..it starts early...there are some youngsters who spend their time in front of the TV...or playing video games....or maybe mommy & daddy have provided plenty of snacks......like HoHo's...god I loved those when i was young.

Not all children have the luxury of becoming fat & lazy...some of them dont have a mom & DAD...they have to actually get off their ass at a young age...why are there so many blacks cornerbacks in the NFL...because they worked their ass off...and in many cases it was their path to success...

sorry Charlie..you may find this hard to believe,,this is not a country of geographic equality.....I didnt have a problem of eating a HoHo anytime I wanted...

...there is A LOT that goes into recruiting & what a player brings...this mindset (while ignoring other all aspects of the game of basketball) that OH MY GOD we have 'NO LATERAL QUICKNESS'....first NO means ZERO...that is not true..

2nd JUST because a player is quicker (laterally) than our defender doesnt mean his quickness will lead to a successful outcome...we have all seen out of control quick PG's...penetrating resulting in a turnover (and pts off turnovers)....disregarding wide open teammates..making it more about them ..playing 1 on 1..disregarding the game plan...

Again lateral quickness is great when you know how to use it...not so much when you don't.....who gives a rat ass what color it comes in.

a lot of players use a set shot, nothing wrong with that and there is no reason to doubt the abilities of a 4* player either.

Are kidding me? Most players who shoot a set shot are post players. Can you name the last D1 or NBA point guard that shoots a set shot?

Set shot Buford is a Hawkeye!

which you don't have.

If you think a set shot from a D1 PG is acceptable, you obviously dont know how much more difficult it is to get a shot off against athletic D1 guards.

A set shot may work in Iowa HS basketball, but its insane to think that's the best option to score at an elite level.

Did you play basketball is HS or college?

I'd say because you don't see him playing above the rim a lot, doesn't lead the break often, sometimes gets blown by on defense, usually only blocks a shot when coming off his own guy, and at 6'9"and a decent shooter wasn't recruited by anyone. I love me some Baer but i think you have to be legally blind if you think he is the most athletic or fast He's no Aaron White or Adam Haluska athletically.

cmon man? seriously?

nope that's why he started out as a walk on. Baer is a very Hi BB IQ Player, besides there's more to the game than being fast or Athletic, IF Baer would had more of what posters want he would have got scholarships from higher level schools.

give me a Hi IQ Player everytime. also Baer has been improving EVERY ASPECT of his game EVERY GAME, something I expect this group to do.

How many stars did Baer have? Do you even know?

What kind of Baer is best?

cmon man? seriously?

List where I'm wrong and what proves Baer is the fastest and athletic.

I'm not gonna watch anymore games until we hold a team under 55-60... Then I will reconsider watching. As I've stated, today was a bad day for the Iowa basketball brand, it took a major hit and we need to be basically flawless to make the NCAA Tournament

I'm no more happier about this loss than anyone else. There's still more games to play but the margin just got even tighter than it already was. I feel bad for Fran and the guys but keep at it and good things will happen.

My only hope is that those that treated me like total crap for my opinions will either ignore me or give my insights at least some credence next time. I tried to tell you and got blasted for it.

DanL I'll give credit to as at least he came back at me with some actual basketball stats and analysis that we could discuss as opposed to the other guys throwing me under the bus with insults only. Well where are those guys now?

This team will be just fine...a lot of young guys that need to buy in to how important the defensive end is. Fran and staff will get them there, but it is a process. That being said, it is critical to get some jet quick guards in the next couple of recruiting classes. Iowa used to be known for having top tier PGs...think Lester, Armstrong, Woolridge, and even Oliver was someone that could break the D down and create. If you added a pure PG to this roster, look out with all the young weapons we have! Bohannon is a hell of a player and is doing a great job, but he needs help. Getting a jet quick PG for next year and then landing DJ Carton in the 19 class is critical to us taking another big step up. Awesome guard play is critical in the college game to be elite.

Some apologies are in order, from several posters, to several posters. And someone needs to SHIP ME $50!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Look I'm as wrong as anyone as I thought we'd be better than this. This is really, really bad and the NIT is even out barring a miracle run now. Although it looks like the few of us with very early concerns were more than warranted despite taking a beating for it.

Scout I may have to ship you the 50 myself!

Reactions: ScoutRefugee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT