ADVERTISEMENT

psu nebraska

Make no mistake. HVI/BWI is also a cesspool. Just a different form
If true, ours is driven by arrogance. Yours, by envy. Both can get caustic.
@Nashville_Hawkeye wishes we could all be friends, but online anonymity makes it a tough ask. It’s too easy to lash out “virtually,” throwing endless verbal bullets as if in a video game. But there’s light, too. Civil conversations between rivals on both sites. I personally enjoy the objective, high-quality wrestling intel provided by Hawk diehards like @jmadden1998 and @jrod65. And I always visit here for scoop on Spencer, an HS favorite of mine.
Bottom line, we’re competitive men (mostly) who likely have wrestled in the past and appreciate this toughest of sports. We may not admit the respect we have for each other’s team, but it’s there, too. It always is in any sport’s greatest rivalry.
Well, maybe in everyone but Ironbird ;).

Do you feel the same about the Rathjen call?
I generally ignore all the PSU homers on an Iowa board but I'll make an exception. Rathjen was not close to being taken down when he screamed due to his pain and the ref stopped the match.
He worked through it but clearly had a limp.

Bartlett was very close to being taken down & as soon as he lost his grip on Hardy's leg, screamed in pain and the match was stopped. When he lost the grip on the leg, it was inevitable he would have been taken down and very likely lost the match (IMO)...
The match was stopped for an injury timeout. Here's the odd part, Bartlett casually walked over to his corner with zero limp & no initial attempt on his part to rub the knee. The PSU trainer never even went to his knee. He visited with his coaches, drank some water, then continued wrestling after catching his breath.

Greg Maddux is going to get a strike zone call, Brady gets the roughing call go his way, Gretsky will get the call. It's the way it is. Officials seem to have a bias towards the best in the game, almost an assumption they're right.
I think this doesn't really apply to college wrestling officiating.

Most umps at all levels will give control pitchers the benefit of their calls when the pitcher has demonstrated command of a particular borderline location.

Gretzky and Brady getting protected has only and everything to do with keeping a game's biggest stars in the game in the interest of the almighty dollar.

I don't think NCAA referees act similarly to college wrestlers or their coaching staff.

Not even close to an apples to apples comparison. In the case of RBY and DeSanto, the way in which he grabbed the foot and turned it, putting considerable strain on the joint before working the cradle was a major point of controversy.

I never went as far as saying that technique was illegal, but I absolutely think it should have been called potentially dangerous every time. The move put deliberate tension on the joint and was not from any motion where the defensive wrestler directly put himself into that position.

If you want to try to play the rubber knee defense, the ref should let it go further. If the offensive guy forces the position on his own, the ref should be quicker to call the PD and stop it…
And Numerous PSU wrestlers laughed about it and said it was MMA training that RBY used in a collegiate wrestling match and got away with it.... but was warned off of using it by the referee AFTER RBY used it numerous times.

Reactions: Bones Malone
And Numerous PSU wrestlers laughed about it and said it was MMA training that RBY used in a collegiate wrestling match and got away with it.... but was warned off of using it by the referee AFTER RBY used it numerous times.
I think this sums it up. This was my theory as well, lines became blurred with his MMA training, carried over to the wrestling mat.

I never went as far as saying that technique was illegal, but I absolutely think it should have been called potentially dangerous every time. The move put deliberate tension on the joint and was not from any motion where the defensive wrestler directly put himself into that position.
I'll call it illegal. Pulling up on the toes hard enough with the foot out at 90 degrees and the knee fully bent will result in the injury he sustained. There was no other reason to do it.

Did you watch the post match interview with Tom? Here it is and I started at the time Tom speaks about ADS.

Yet another instance that only bolsters the fact that this, in NO WAY, is an apples to apples comparison. On top of the situation, everyone knows ADS is on a different plane mentally. Call it the "spectrum" or not, but how he reacts to situations hasn't shown to blend in often with the "norm".

To me, it sure looked like the 1st one truly hurt and the 2nd one basically scared the sh*t out of him. Even Tom said it was a lot mental on his part.

So, yeah, in NO WAY do I think that was DeSanto trying to game the system. He reacted 100% genuinely

Last edited:
Most umps at all levels will give control pitchers the benefit of their calls when the pitcher has demonstrated command of a particular borderline location.
This is so true. Years ago, when I got into fast pitch softball as a pitcher I developed a reputation as having an overpowering fastball but extremely wild. I had small hands and had a hard time developing a good curveball. I lead the league 3 straight years in strikeouts and walks. When I finally learned to get a little control I noticed the umps in the league were so used to my occasional head high fast balls that they would actually start to bail or duck when I would throw a curve ball that looked dangerous and it would get called a ball even when it curved right over the plate. My fault for training them this way but I had to laugh to myself when I read your post.

Yet another instance that only bolsters the fact that is in NO WAY is an apples to apples comparison. On top of the situation, everyone knows ADS is on a different plane mentally. Call it the "spectrum" or not, but how he reacts to situations hasn't shown to blend in often with the "norm".

To me, it sure looked like the 1st one truly hurt and the 2nd one basically scared the sh*t out of him. Even Tom said it was a lot mental on his part.

So, yeah, in NO WAY do I think that was DeSanto trying to game the system. He reacted 100% genuinely
Yep, Tom said it was mental and therefore was implying not physical. Getting pinned in CHS would be quite taxing, no doubt.

Yep, Tom said it was mental and therefore was implying not physical. Getting pinned in CHS would be quite taxing, no doubt.
The dude was hurt, moran. The point Tom was making was about how he dealt with that injury mentally. He never for a second said there was zero injury.

Like I said above. The 1st sequence hurt him. As soon as he felt the pressure of the second one on his injured leg, he panicked. I can promise you it had nothing to do with trying to thwart an impending fall.

Hell, he became so singularly focused on his leg that he couldn’t even wrestle any more and quickly forfeited. Considering it gave PSU the same exact 6 points either way, only a Moran would think DeSanto is the kind of guy that selfishly bailed out on his team, just to avoid a possible fall.

Nothing prior, or since, would even hint for a split second that DeSanto would do ANYTHING to intentionally avoid competition. He simply panicked due to the injury and he didn’t know how to process it at the time. All you had to do was look at his face and posture right before he defaulted and it is beyond obvious to anyone with any common sense…

The dude was hurt, moran. The point Tom was making was about how he dealt with that injury mentally. He never for a second said there was zero injury.

Like I said above. The 1st sequence hurt him. As soon as he felt the pressure of the second one on his injured leg, he panicked. I can promise you it had nothing to do with trying to thwart an impending fall.

Hell, he became so singularly focused on his leg that he couldn’t even wrestle any more and quickly forfeited. Considering it gave PSU the same exact 6 points either way, only a Moran would think DeSanto is the kind of guy that selfishly bailed out on his team, just to avoid a possible fall.

Nothing prior, or since, would even hint for a split second that DeSanto would do ANYTHING to intentionally avoid competition. He simply panicked due to the injury and he didn’t know how to process it at the time. All you had to do was look at his face and posture right before he defaulted and it is beyond obvious to anyone with any common sense…
Thanks for the name calling and backhanded compliments.

My point is it happens to all athletic teams out there, some calls are for you while some go against you, problem is most fans only want to admit and talk about the ones that go against their team. Was it bs with rby and desanto, absolutely it was……just like it was with hardy and Bartlett…….but I bet if we go back on this board and pull up the thread from that match you won’t find any hawk fans saying rby got screwed and that Tom must have the damn ref in his back pocket.
You understand you are on an Iowa Board, correct? Are we supposed to all be completely objective about our own and give PSU the benefit of the doubt? Please. As soon as a Message Board that is 100% objective is created you let us all know.

This is so true. Years ago, when I got into fast pitch softball as a pitcher I developed a reputation as having an overpowering fastball but extremely wild. I had small hands and had a hard time developing a good curveball. I lead the league 3 straight years in strikeouts and walks. When I finally learned to get a little control I noticed the umps in the league were so used to my occasional head high fast balls that they would actually start to bail or duck when I would throw a curve ball that looked dangerous and it would get called a ball even when it curved right over the plate. My fault for training them this way but I had to laugh to myself when I read your post.
Agreed. Like you indicate, it has a lot to do with umpires training their eyes from their position behind the catcher. Can't make as fine a call when the ball is all over the place, and worse yet misses the mark of where the catcher sets up. The umpire is rightfully anticipating the ball to end up in that area.

Yet another instance that only bolsters the fact that this, in NO WAY, is an apples to apples comparison. On top of the situation, everyone knows ADS is on a different plane mentally. Call it the "spectrum" or not, but how he reacts to situations hasn't shown to blend in often with the "norm".

He forfeited the match. That is 6 team points. You would have to be a moran to think that would be gaming the system. The outcome couldn't have been worse for AD or Iowa. Why would he fake it and medical forfeit?? Such a stupid take from these Happy Valley homers.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Hell, he became so singularly focused on his leg that he couldn’t even wrestle any more and quickly forfeited.
Serious question here for everyone. I always was under the impression that Desanto used all his available injury time after the first stoppage, and when the match was stopped again he was defaulted out. Have I been under the wrong impression this entire time?

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Serious question here for everyone. I always was under the impression that Desanto used all his available injury time after the first stoppage, and when the match was stopped again he was defaulted out. Have I been under the wrong impression this entire time?

Edit: I just watched it and he only used 1:50 of injury time so I guess that was not the case.
Watch the video above. It admitedly takes some lip reading, but I would say you don't have to be close to an expert to see DeSanto clearly say, "I can't go." This was definitely less than 10 seconds after the stoppage at about the 5:37 mark of the video.

Watch the video above. It admitedly takes some lip reading, but I would say you don't have to be close to an expert to see DeSanto clearly say, "I can't go." This was definitely less than 10 seconds after the stoppage at about the 5:37 mark of the video.
How much injury time is allowed? I thought it was 2:00 but I did a quick search and it says 1:30 on the site I found. Any experts here? :rolleyes:

Just a couple of questions and comments. Since I did not see the move in question with Bartlett, was it legal? Probably the same can be said for Rathjen. Were they legal moves or did the wrestler put himself into a bad position?

That being said, if the moves in question were legal, in no way should points not have been awarded to the offensive wrestler. If it comes down to being in a bad position, then stop the match and award the points. Or an even more subjective possibility, pain tolerance. Why wasn't the match stopped when Warner was in obvious pain against Dean? If it is a legal move which the bow and arrow is, why stop the matches in the two scenerios above without reward to the offense? Again, stop the match for safety purposes, but reward the move.

I certainly agree that safety is important. But at what point does it become a practice to put yourself into a bad position and/or scream in pain to have the match stopped? Seems to be a very real possibilty if a match is at risk.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
How much injury time is allowed? I thought it was 2:00 but I did a quick search and it says 1:30 on the site I found. Any experts here? :rolleyes:
From the NCAA Wrestling Rules Book:

Nonbleeding Injury Timeout. An injured or ill competitor may be awarded timeout up to a maximum of 1½ minutes, which is cumulative throughout the match, including overtime periods. At the completion of the 1½ minutes of injury time, the injured wrestler should be prepared to rise and move to the center of the mat to restart the match. Art. 8. Coaching Nonbleeding Injured Wrestlers. Coaching an injured wrestler is not permitted.

And you are only allowed two injury timeouts:

Third Nonbleeding Timeout. The first wrestler to request a third nonbleeding injury timeout will terminate the match. The non-injured wrestler shall be declared the winner by injury default.

Reactions: hlstone
So you are saying Austin medical forfeited because he was afraid of being pinned at Carver or losing to RBY?? I'm curious as to how you differentiate between when someone from any team forfeits medically in a match for an injury and when it is for pride or ego?

Exactly.

So you are saying Austin medical forfeited because he was afraid of being pinned at Carver or losing to RBY?? I'm curious as to how you differentiate between when someone from any team forfeits medically in a match for an injury and when it is for pride or ego?
I have no idea why on a thing like this. I won't assume motive either way. If you saw that video of the cop who shot up his own patrol car you will hear him yell shots fired!!! An acorn bounced off his car, he panicked, said he was hit ( he wasn't shot) then emptied a 15 round mag from his Sig 320 into his vehicle. He freaked.

It's possible someone was hurt, felt pain, or panicked, or whatever. Only they know the reason, maybe. The cop really thought someone was shooting at him and he was shot, lol.

Who’s going to be the PSU guy to be bailed out by the refs at Nationals this year? 2 years ago Max dean got bailed out twice, and last year Andonian got robbed against Haines. I think we see multiple this year. Although I do like that more and more people are seeing how one sided refs are for Penn State.

For your first question it's mostly the former with some of the RBY hype thrown in for good measure. As for your second question I use my eyes. ADS sure didn't look hurt when fighting to get out from bottom after the first stoppage. RBY's second cradle was above the knee, so that didn't put pressure on the knee. In this case I also used my ears when I listened to Tom's post match interview when Tom states "if we could have gotten him calmed down a little bit he could have gotten back in that match".

Reactions: bourbon n blues
For your first question it's mostly the former with some of the RBY hype thrown in for good measure. As for your second question I use my eyes. ADS sure didn't look hurt when fighting to get out from bottom after the first stoppage. RBY's second cradle was above the knee, so that didn't put pressure on the knee. In this case I also used my ears when I listened to Tom's post match interview when Tom states "if we could have gotten him calmed down a little bit he could have gotten back in that match".
You guys got 6 points and still lost the dual. Cry about it.

Penn State fans bag on DeSanto for years for “faking it” in a match that he defaults out of, and immediately following wears a leg wrap up until NCAAs. Then their guy does it, and wins the match because of it, but there is no issue because DeSanto did it years ago. Super F’d up leaps of logic.

I’m not going to respond to any replies, because you people are F’ing delusional.

LOOK, you can't watch these stall artists pieces of garbage, and the REFs and see it any other way then what it is!!!

They lay on top parallel doing nothing and the guy on bottom gets called!!! They 100% SCREWED Nebraska at 149 and 157!!! They tried to screw them again at 184!!!

If this is the best we have right now in the NCAAs? Then no wonder several HS kids are able to win!!! VERY hard to watch, and worse, they beat us!!!

FACT is, IOWA needs to jump levels next year and end this F*** st SH*TSHOW they call wrestling!!!!

They just banned me again on their B*LLSH*T board for calling it AS IT IS!!!!

PepeLaBuea is a piece of trash for playing hurt on the TD!!!! REFs are right their beside him!!!!
I finally found your Instagram page.

Did you notice him limping the rest of the match every time he hobbled back to the center, because I sure did? He also said "I can't go" to Tom before he forfeited. Did you notice that? I think (I'm actually fairly certain) that something popped or tweaked in his knee when RBY torqued it against the joint the first time and he was concerned the rest of the match that something was really wrong. Something was wrong as it was wrapped up the rest of the regular season, but Tom felt he could have limped through the match instead of defaulting out (see Rathjen vs. Wisky). Tom also said each guy handles pain differently in that same interview if I recall correctly. Only AD knows if that was possible or not.

Suddeningly turning the knee outward while the foot is planted or vice versa, suddenly rotating the foot outward while the knee is planted, will tear the ACL. Just try rotating you foot outward and locking it there by pushing it against the base of a wall. Now, try turning your knee/leg the opposite direction. You'll feel it. It's horrible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT