ADVERTISEMENT

PSU vs Iowa

They talk very little about wrestling IMO. Although I do my fair share of fishing on here, I'll hit you up when the grandkids are a little older for those hot spots. Would prefer bass in a secluded farm pond over walleye. Walleye taste better, but aren't as easy to catch. I assumed you were a walleye guy.
IMG_3571.JPG
she's quick.............

Now, back to that extra credit grade...........where am I at now. I don't like D's.

Mike

Reactions: el dub
Nope, totally bass hound.

Will be at OH IVIE the week of 2/14 with a couple Iowa buddies coming down. I tournament fish and have for nearly 20 years now. Spent the COVID year fishing as a co-angler on the BASS Central Opens. Was a fun experience. If I ever did it again, I would probably come back with my own boat.

View attachment 469
Guy I went to school with got into kayak bass fishing. He is always posting pics of some lunkers. Unfortunately fishing didn't make the cut for my disposable time. I do envision doing more of it in a few years with the grand kids. I bumped your grade btw.

Might be thinking with your heart there mate. Iowa hasn’t done anything to inspire confidence. They’ve eeked out wins vs tOhio St and NC St (with Spencer Lee) and PSU has looked dominant lately. This meet could get away from us in a hurry.
Yep, sadly I concur. We really need to start the night with some f'ing anger and tenacity and then add some grit as we go along. If we wrestle like we did last Friday we'll get throttled as bad as Michigan did. That being said in reference to one of the the big matches (and I know there are a lot of them), I just don't think Kem will lose. I think he's on a mission and will shock Star and not look back the rest of the year. Ayala is vulnerable, but I think he will be just fine come March. And WRT ADS, I think anything could happen in that match. I can see a decision either way and I can also see someone getting injured due to the level of insanity. Can't wait to see the Hawks in action!! :)

Last edited:
Psu looks like they're dialed in and Iowa to me seems a little off. That's as of last Friday though. We'll see this Friday but I expect PSU to win.
"A little off?" You're being mighty generous my friend. LOL! I love the Hawks, but we looked a hell of lot more than "a little off." :) If we wrestle like that Friday it will get ugly quick...

I think success for Iowa will be getting to HWT with a chance to still win the meet.

"A little off?" You're being mighty generous my friend. LOL! I love the Hawks, but we looked a hell of lot more than "a little off." :) If we wrestle like that Friday it will get ugly quick...

I think success for Iowa will be getting to HWT with a chance to still win the meet.
I tend to agree with you unless a few things go their way. But stranger things have happened.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Caffey beating Dean 3-2 makes me feel better about Warner’s chances of beating Dean. Warner beat Caffey 4-1 and 8-3 last year.
It gives me confidence that Dean can be shocked in the quarters come NCAAs. And that's the kind of stuff we need happening in March. Nothing that happened in the MSU dual gives me more or less confidence in Warner; his matches against quality talent can go either way as seen against the kid from Iowa State. Need him to be on his game.

I'm not even going to bother trying to predict this one... Could be anywhere from a 5-5 split to 8-2(unlikely, but possible) for either team.

I'm going with more of a confidence scale for this one. Going with the Mark Hall random number percentages as well ;)

83% confident in win

68%

54%

47%

39%

26%

17%
I'd probably put ADS in the 39%, but I don't have an issue with your assessment. I will say, however, that I do like how Assad is wrestling this year despite the loss to Romero; I think he will keep it close. And I think Kem wins this one.

125 I like the matchup with Hildebrandt for Ayala. I think in Drakes first year a lot of his success will be matchup based. I'd take Hildebrandt against the field but ill take Drake head to head. 3-0 Iowa

133 ADS needs to learn how to finish a head outside single against RBY. He cant get caught with his head on the mat against him. ADS can get to his legs but hasn't been able to finish in recent matchups. This is out of ADS's wheel house hence why we haven't seen it yet. 3-3 PSU

141 Jaydin has shown he can beat him. If he's going to give his leg up to him he cant let Lee finish quick he has to turn it into a scramble situation. Throw the boots in once on top get the riding time. IMO we have to take 2 of 3 at 41, 74 and 97. Lee has looked more on his game this year. 3-6 PSU

149 This is the best I think Max has wrestled in his time at Iowa. Max is who he is and he's been controlling matches according to the way he wants to wrestle. When he cant get his hands on a guy he doesn't have much success. If Bartlett's forehead is bruised and or bleeding at the end of the match Max wins. 6-6 Iowa

157 We have to have this one to win. Kaleb's early competition this year was brutal and for the most part didn't look all that competitive in those matches. Has he turned the corner with inferior competition? I hope so. Winning this match with 2 or 3 td's sure would make me feel pretty good about him. 9-6 Iowa

165 If the Bull isn't pissed off and fired up moving forward then maybe it is really hard to stay motivated for 5 years of competition. I think the loss last week is a big motivating factor for the Bull and we see the dominating version this wknd. I got Bull pushing for a major here. Berge's looked probably the best he has in a PSU singlet and keeps it to a regular decision. 12-6 Iowa

174 Guys I know Kems hurt, but we've seen a guy win a national title without a shoulder before. Kems looked really good all things considered. I really like the Dawg at home and I think he comes out firing. Starocci wont be able to avoid for 3 periods and get the TD late. 15-6 Iowa

184 Abe has looked good so far this year. It was a close match against Romero but it seemed like Abe was just hanging on. He has to keep getting better as the year goes on and this will be a learning opportunity moving forward. Brooks is on another level. Guys a beast and has looked every part of a national champ this year. If Abe can hold this to a decision its a win. 15-10 PSU

197 I see all the hate on Warner winning close matches and gassing in the 3rd. I'm here to say I'm a Jacob Warner fan. His number 1 skill is defense and he has elite level defense. He's a tough SOB to take down. His attacks on offense are limited I'll give ya that. When he gets to a leg he's a high percentage finisher. His gassing issues haven't shown up as much as in years past. It seems to happen when he gets that early TD and rides for 2 min in the 1st. I'd rather see him build to 30-45 seconds and kick the guy and go for another. Dean hasn't shown anything to me to say he's untouchable. I think Warner gets this one at home and seals the deal for a Hawk Win. 18-10 Iowa

HWT Am I the only one who misses Big Cass a little? IDK maybe he's still working out the kinks with the new body style. He seems more culpable to the big moves this year. That said his comeback and domination against Orendorf last week sure made the eyebrows rise. On the other hand this is a totally different Kerk that he will be wrestling Friday. I think you throw the past results out the window and we find out where Cass is really at on Friday. 18-13 PSU

crablegs is posting on bwi that he heard ayala got hurt in practice and is out for the dual. any "insiders" heard anything similar?

Reactions: zoe22
I moved from Des Moines to Northern Wisconsin during the lockdown. Walleye definitely aren't as numerous around here as they were 25 years ago. At least if I go musky fishing, expectations usually coincide with results.
I used to love Musky and Pike fishing up in Minnesota...awesome! But now I'm a black bass guy (large mouth, small mouth, spotted bass). That's the one great thing about living a little farther south...the bass fishing is phenomenal and there are always tournaments available if you feel like fishing. I noticed that was a pretty nice Nitro bass boat Mike was sporting there...

Reactions: Mike Zierath
I used to love Musky and Pike fishing up in Minnesota...awesome! But now I'm a black bass guy (large mouth, small mouth, spotted bass). That's the one great thing about living a little farther south...the bass fishing is phenomenal and there are always tournaments available if you feel like fishing. I noticed that was a pretty nice Nitro bass boat Mike was sporting there...
E410124D-AF3C-43C9-8CB5-49FB5B934A17.jpeg
Here’s that same boat a year ago wrapped. I really do like fishing.
Z

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
View attachment 471
Here’s that same boat a year ago wrapped. I really do like fishin

View attachment 471
Here’s that same boat a year ago wrapped. I really do like fishing.
Z
Very nice, Mike! My partner and I almost got a sponsor two years ago, but between cancelled tournaments and COVID it just didn't work out. Hopefully this year we'll get back to where we used to be (not great, but not bad). Can't wait for the first tournament. Season is kicking off the first week of March...searching for smallies at Tims Ford, TN. :)

Reactions: Mike Zierath

I know Iowa is talented and has had some bad luck? maybe is the way to say it, but we'll see. I'm a PSU fan an optimist. I thought they were doing well but was encouraged by the Michigan match. MSU was ok imo.
Iowa to me looks like a solid second based on recent history ( which doesn't mean lot until we're talking hindsight again ) because PSU seems to peak well, but who knows?

125 I like the matchup with Hildebrandt for Ayala. I think in Drakes first year a lot of his success will be matchup based. I'd take Hildebrandt against the field but ill take Drake head to head. 3-0 Iowa

133 ADS needs to learn how to finish a head outside single against RBY. He cant get caught with his head on the mat against him. ADS can get to his legs but hasn't been able to finish in recent matchups. This is out of ADS's wheel house hence why we haven't seen it yet. 3-3 PSU

141 Jaydin has shown he can beat him. If he's going to give his leg up to him he cant let Lee finish quick he has to turn it into a scramble situation. Throw the boots in once on top get the riding time. IMO we have to take 2 of 3 at 41, 74 and 97. Lee has looked more on his game this year. 3-6 PSU

149 This is the best I think Max has wrestled in his time at Iowa. Max is who he is and he's been controlling matches according to the way he wants to wrestle. When he cant get his hands on a guy he doesn't have much success. If Bartlett's forehead is bruised and or bleeding at the end of the match Max wins. 6-6 Iowa

157 We have to have this one to win. Kaleb's early competition this year was brutal and for the most part didn't look all that competitive in those matches. Has he turned the corner with inferior competition? I hope so. Winning this match with 2 or 3 td's sure would make me feel pretty good about him. 9-6 Iowa

165 If the Bull isn't pissed off and fired up moving forward then maybe it is really hard to stay motivated for 5 years of competition. I think the loss last week is a big motivating factor for the Bull and we see the dominating version this wknd. I got Bull pushing for a major here. Berge's looked probably the best he has in a PSU singlet and keeps it to a regular decision. 12-6 Iowa

174 Guys I know Kems hurt, but we've seen a guy win a national title without a shoulder before. Kems looked really good all things considered. I really like the Dawg at home and I think he comes out firing. Starocci wont be able to avoid for 3 periods and get the TD late. 15-6 Iowa

184 Abe has looked good so far this year. It was a close match against Romero but it seemed like Abe was just hanging on. He has to keep getting better as the year goes on and this will be a learning opportunity moving forward. Brooks is on another level. Guys a beast and has looked every part of a national champ this year. If Abe can hold this to a decision its a win. 15-10 PSU

197 I see all the hate on Warner winning close matches and gassing in the 3rd. I'm here to say I'm a Jacob Warner fan. His number 1 skill is defense and he has elite level defense. He's a tough SOB to take down. His attacks on offense are limited I'll give ya that. When he gets to a leg he's a high percentage finisher. His gassing issues haven't shown up as much as in years past. It seems to happen when he gets that early TD and rides for 2 min in the 1st. I'd rather see him build to 30-45 seconds and kick the guy and go for another. Dean hasn't shown anything to me to say he's untouchable. I think Warner gets this one at home and seals the deal for a Hawk Win. 18-10 Iowa

HWT Am I the only one who misses Big Cass a little? IDK maybe he's still working out the kinks with the new body style. He seems more culpable to the big moves this year. That said his comeback and domination against Orendorf last week sure made the eyebrows rise. On the other hand this is a totally different Kerk that he will be wrestling Friday. I think you throw the past results out the window and we find out where Cass is really at on Friday. 18-13 PSU
That's very likely . I think it's close either way or PSU wins easily . I have to see them win the tossups here to be very confident in them .

I know Iowa is talented and has had some bad luck? maybe is the way to say it, but we'll see. I'm a PSU fan an optimist. I thought they were doing well but was encouraged by the Michigan match. MSU was ok imo.
Iowa to me looks like a solid second based on recent history ( which doesn't mean lot until we're talking hindsight again ) because PSU seems to peak well, but who knows?
I can't disagree with you there. They didn't win NCAAs last year, but walking away with four NCAA champs says it all. I'm hoping we change that this year. I'm hoping NCAAS will be more like B10s last year, where we will be the ones peaking. But like you said, who knows...

I can't disagree with you there. They didn't win NCAAs last year, but walking away with four NCAA champs says it all. I'm hoping we change that this year. I'm hoping NCAAS will be more like B10s last year, where we will be the ones peaking. But like you said, who knows...
I'm obviously very psu biased but I like Iowa due to my time there. So I'll just argue my guys will win blah Cael blah pealing blah. But it's close . When you tend to win the close ones you're obviously confident.
Psu wrestling is the only sport at the school I have faith in now and for the future. Pa. is obtainable great wrestling state , but football isn't what it's used to be.
And wrestlers are different, their mindset, their work ethic, their intensity is unmatched. It's probably the first ever sport other than picking up the first rock or chucking it the farthest .
And I like that , good luck and if I can ask one favor, pm me if you're premium. My wife and I want to see Nashville this year and I'd like to get the lay of the land. Good music, good, and drink is what we want to find out about.

Seriously asking if a senior has gotten over the hurdle of handling inferior competition is a strange and weak position to be in, imo.

I have seen a lot of crazy things happen in Carver good and bad over the years. Let’s just talk recently the great Mark Hall is 0-2 in Carver Bull lost his last time vs psu, Ramos and Kemerer blew the roof off of the place. Bottom line is I like the Hawks chances at 149, 157 & 165 but feel like 184 is all psu and hope we don’t give up bonus pts here. The rest are true tossups so hoping a little Carver magic puts us over the hump. On the other hand it would not hurt my feelings all that much if we got beat.

i don’t like to make predications but here is an opinion. penn state fans are the most pompous and arrogant group of people i have ever encountered. must be a northeastern thing i guess.
I think it’s mostly just Pennsylvanians. They’re a strange bunch.

Well, you may now be the first person I ignore. Don't fish for walleye???? Loser.
Do I dare start another bitter battle? I find fishing for bass, especially Largemouth, to be mindless. Throwing a spinner off a bunch of weeds is not overly difficult. Walleyes, on the other hand, are more of a challenge and offer a world class meal at the end of the day. Smallmouth's are a lot of fun, I'll give you that!

Do I dare start another bitter battle? I find fishing for bass, especially Largemouth, to be mindless. Throwing a spinner off a bunch of weeds is not overly difficult. Walleyes, on the other hand, are more of a challenge and offer a world class meal at the end of the day. Smallmouth's are a lot of fun, I'll give you that!
At the risk of hi-jacking the thread…..it ain’t as easy as you might think. A friend, just a year ago, came down in the middle of February and caught the biggest largemouth in the last 25 years in the state of Texas. 16lbs 4oz. That’s a big one! I’m on a quest of my own this year, just to catch my first double digit fish! Most bass fisherman go their whole life and never accomplish that. I don’t want to be one of those guys. That’s why, in 2.5 weeks, a couple of my really good tournament friends are coming down and we are hitting it hard for a solid week and see what happens. Hell, if you catch a 13lb’er here in Texas, you get, among other things, a replica mount and a lifetime Texas fishing license. Just one, that’s all I want!

Z

At the risk of hi-jacking the thread…..it ain’t as easy as you might think. A friend, just a year ago, came down in the middle of February and caught the biggest largemouth in the last 25 years in the state of Texas. 16lbs 4oz. That’s a big one! I’m on a quest of my own this year, just to catch my first double digit fish! Most bass fisherman go their whole life and never accomplish that. I don’t want to be one of those guys. That’s why, in 2.5 weeks, a couple of my really good tournament friends are coming down and we are hitting it hard for a solid week and see what happens. Hell, if you catch a 13lb’er here in Texas, you get, among other things, a replica mount and a lifetime Texas fishing license. Just one, that’s all I want!

Z
Good luck! I'm a Canadian Walleye guy. Simple lead head jigs with a salted minnow. It's all in the touch. I even find trolling for Walleyes pretty low-brow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT