ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Hawkeyes

No, make them come north late in the year. They won’t travel well and seeing a bunch of Florida kids play in -5 F temps like that Nebraska game a few years back would be fun.
This is at the very top of my reasons for approving the USC and UCLA additions to the B10.

Boarding a plane in sunny 82F Los Angeles on Thursday aternoon wearing tank tops and sandals..... landing in cold dark Minneapolis/Madison/Iowa City/Lansing a few hours later. Then later taking the field Saturday noon at Kinnick 15F w/ 15mph N wind and flurries.

Just packing the extra cold weather gear has got to be a depressing thought for most of those guys. I never thought I would ever say this but I hope there are alot of TV time outs and a few long replay reviews when the LA gents play here in Oct/Nov.

Reactions: claykenny
We’d bring more than “a couple thousand” from Iowa. Stop it.

I'm talking from Iowa itself. And we're talking a regular season game, not a bowl game.

USC or even a UCLA? Hell yes, I can see Iowans getting behind that. If we're talking about adding new schools to the conference - hell, we "know USC and UCLA", played them both in the past and in bowl games too. Besides, I bet from Iowa flights to LA are easy to set up - maybe even direct flights from say Des Moines too.

But Tallahassee? Meh - and this isn't meant as a slight to FSU. I just think there's more cache traveling to say a USC than to an FSU for the average Iowa fan in Iowa. And it's roughly 1100 miles from Iowa to Tallahassee FL - how does one fly to Tallahassee from Iowa?

Again, most every potential ticket buying Iowa fan in FL/SE US would try to go. It's the Iowans making that trip that I think is hard to quantify. I mean, if this was the Bobby Bowden heyday era where FSU kicked ass every year, then sure - lots of juice to that game. Recent vintage FSU? Not so sure about that.

Reactions: billanole
There’s a bit of controversy over on Warchant. **surprise**
With all the conference consolidation talk some of our fans were doubtful that B1G fans would travel if FSU were to end up in that conference. Or if we would travel to Iowa/Minnesota/Illinois in November.
So I’ll come right to the source:
Would y’all come down (or drive in since lots of Iowa grads already live in Florida) to Tally for a game?
The best crab rangoons I ever had were in Tallahassee at a place called Bahn Thai. I might go back just to eat those again.

At the end of the day, I think the first few seasons in the new conferences - and there WILL be major additions and changes - fans will travel out of curiosity if nothing else.
And I think y’all would have a great time in Tally. Beautiful campus, beautiful stadium, beautiful girls, - and some great watering holes.
We shall see how this all shakes out.
I think it’s more likely that we end up in the SEC but you never know.

At the end of the day, I think the first few seasons in the new conferences - and there WILL be major additions and changes - fans will travel out of curiosity if nothing else.
And I think y’all would have a great time in Tally. Beautiful campus, beautiful stadium, beautiful girls, - and some great watering holes.
We shall see how this all shakes out.
I think it’s more likely that we end up in the SEC but you never know.
Sounds good. Watch the movie The Program before you come to Kinnick for the second game.

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
Generally yes, I’d probably look from an opportunity to visit FSU. I do have a rule though for Iowa road games, the host team must be ranked in the top 25 to make it worthwhile. Y’all got some work to do, but I suspect the Noles will eventually return to the level we expect to see each year.

Can you point to a single day in Tallahassee in September where the temperature was 95 F at the same time the humidity was 95%?

The Iowa weather isn’t that drastically different from Florida in July, August, and the first part of September. Florida is more consistent, but Iowans are used to having those 90 degree days with high humidity. I don’t think your typical Floridian has experienced -5 F air temperatures with wind chills under -20 F. Even 30 F and overcast is going to be a shock.
Sure, Kenny. I remember camping south Tally at 13 degrees in late December. The humidity and temps are crazy unpredictable.
If you think weather is gonna win the game.,. Well, whatever.
Bring it.
You forget that many FSU kids are from Northern climes, as some Iowa players are from the south.
The teams all have the gear these days.,,.
Old school deal with the weather is no longer really a thing.

Last edited:
Generally yes, I’d probably look from an opportunity to visit FSU. I do have a rule though for Iowa road games, the host team must be ranked in the top 25 to make it worthwhile. Y’all got some work to do, but I suspect the Noles will eventually return to the level we expect to see each year.
FYI our all time record against B1G teams is 38-6-1. That includes Penn State at 1-1-1 before they joined the conference.
We should be able to give y’all a decent game. 😉

Can you point to a single day in Tallahassee in September where the temperature was 95 F at the same time the humidity was 95%?

The Iowa weather isn’t that drastically different from Florida in July, August, and the first part of September. Florida is more consistent, but Iowans are used to having those 90 degree days with high humidity. I don’t think your typical Floridian has experienced -5 F air temperatures with wind chills under -20 F. Even 30 F and overcast is going to be a shock.
In September? Almost everyday. We don’t get a decent cold front until October usually. Just in time to push a tropical system across the state. I’ll give you the winters, but you’re nuts if you think your summer is anything like ours. Ours is from early May until the end of October usually.

FYI our all time record against B1G teams is 38-6-1. That includes Penn State at 1-1-1 before they joined the conference.
It’s different up north ahhh. Ya hoser.

Meh, 6 of those wins are probably against Nebraska in bowl games.
Honestly, I am a little surprised FSU has played that many B10 teams. It really isn't a natural non-conference tie in. So, lots of bowl games have to factor into that total, right?

Honestly, I am a little surprised FSU has played that many B10 teams. It really isn't a natural non-conference tie in. So, lots of bowl games have to factor into that total, right?
We do have Bowl victories against OSU, UM, Nebraska and PSU, but not adding up to 38.
We probably played lots of B1G games way back in our independent days.

FSU has played in and won lots of bowl games

Nothing against the Hawkeyes, just realize that FSU success in football vs the Big 10 has skewed towards beating OSU, UM, Mich State, etc… in road games. Those posers have not come to Tally.
Both passive and aggressive. Ease off, Tiger.
Did these wins come this century?

Bobby was no vagina. He’d go anywhere and play anyone, anytime. I submit the 81 schedule as evidence.

Look, guys. I have enjoyed following Iowa sports, society, lifestyle, habits, quirks, geography, and etc… in recent years. My cousin in Iowa City has helped me acclimate.
Iowa sports are solid, but be honest, y’all rarely reach for nattys.
I will pull for the Hawks in all sports, unless against FSU, but y’all rarely chase top dawg status in NCAA titles.
Not that this is a bad thing.,,
Carry on,

Nothing against the Hawkeyes, just realize that FSU success in football vs the Big 10 has skewed towards beating OSU, UM, Mich State, etc… in road games. Those posers have not come to Tally.
Michigan State went to Tally in 1988, one year after the Noles went to East Lansing.

The Noles went to Columbus twice, most recently 40 years ago. They also went to Ann Arbor twice, most recently 30 years ago.

Florida State hasn’t played a single football game in a Big Ten stadium since they joined the ACC 30 years ago.

• Wow
Reactions: torbee and lucas80
Would be fun once in a while, especially in winter months. Probably a lot more Hawkeye fans going there than Noles headed to Iowa City.
Which is a real shame for them as Iowa City is one of the most quintessential “college towns” of any in America. And the weather is typically superb in autumn.

capitol-building-iowa-city-iowa.jpg

EFMVrmdXsAE1_VW.jpg

E9HeoEJWQAkNT2v.jpg

Michigan State went to Tally in 1988, one year after the Noles went to East Lansing.

The Noles went to Columbus twice, most recently 40 years ago. They also went to Ann Arbor twice, most recently 30 years ago.

Florida State hasn’t played a single football game in a Big Ten stadium since they joined the ACC 30 years ago.
Those teams that FSU traveled to play were solid.Which game has Iowa played in the south since when, besides a bowl?

I think we all are aware that Florida State used to have amazingly awesome football teams.

But Bobby Bowden ain’t walking through that door. There is no reason FSU might not sputter along for some time as Nebraska has. Neither team has the national cachet or dominance over their rivals they once had, and that matters.

Both change coaches like some people change underwear. Both fanbases continue to bring up the 90s constantly.

Remember: Minnesota has more national championships than you do. No one thinks they are destined to return to glory.

Those teams that FSU traveled to play were solid.Which game has Iowa played in the south since when, besides a bowl?
Not many in recent years. I was simply clarifying your post, not implying that Iowa’s was tougher.

Iowa’s scheduling formula when the Big Ten played an 8-game schedule was Iowa State, two cupcakes, and one mid-tier power conference team. They played Nebraska several times before the Huskers joined the B1G. They scheduled a four-game series with Missouri but the Tigers weaseled out of it on short notice, so Iowa replaced them with a four-game series against Pittsburgh. They played home-and-away series with Arizona, Arizona State, and Syracuse. Iowa doesn’t play regular season games against SEC teams.

Since the Big Ten went to a 9-game schedule, Iowa’s non-conference schedule has changed to Iowa State and two cupcakes in order to ensure 7 home games per year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT