ADVERTISEMENT

Quote of the year for Fran?

Ihawkhoops

HR All-American
Dec 10, 2015
Q: Do you think you matched up with them physically?

McCAFFERY: No, I don't. Not for the game, at times, which is sort of been the story of our season. We match everything at times. We haven't put it together consistently, both ends of the floor. That was evident tonight I thought.

Newsflash Fran, you won't put it together all season because the team is awful. Iowa looks like a team better programs schedule to beat the crap out of in the pre-season. Yes, Iowa is that bad and there is no hope for better this season. For all of Bohannon's shortcomings as a PG, we are lucky the kid can shoot deep 3's. Without him last night, Iowa may have been held to 40 points. The lack of shot creators on the team is mind boggling. We have one and that is Cook.

Fran talks about execution and ball movement like it's just going to click for these guys. Neither of these matter when facing the athletic deficit Iowa does. The offense is completely stagnant, which is why we get run out of the gym by the 10 minute mark of the first half. Defensively, there is no remedy for slow and below the rim and that describes everyone except Cook. Fran has assembled a team that would struggle to win games in the Horizon League.

When you have a coach who completely botches multiple recruiting classes after this long on the job, you have to move on. Make a good hire and Weiskamp stays. I am OK losing both of his kids-neither will be impact players IMO. The new coach can purge the roster in a more diplomatic fashion and Cook, Garza, and Bohannon have a chance to not waste their careers at Iowa being a door mat. Keep Fran and it will be more of the same because he cannot come up with a scheme to mask the lack of big ten athletes on the roster and clearly he can't recruit better.

Our adjusted offensive efficiency ranks 52nd in the country, which isn't bad and is close to what we had last year (ranked 43rd). The defense has been the issue this year. Both were an issue last night, but I'm less worried about how we'll score points and more worried about how we'll get defensive stops.

This team does not have great athletes, and guys like Bohannon are never going to be great defenders. However, there are plenty of teams with equal or lesser athleticism that play better defense than this team. This poor defense is on the coaches to fix.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Fran talks as if matching up physically is purely an effort thing. Iowa doesn't match up physically because with the exception of Cook every player on the other team is bigger, faster, stronger than their Iowa counterpart. At some point there is nothing a player can do if the guy he is going against is just physically superior. Baer and Moss have been in the program for several years and neither lool like they have ever been in the weightroom. Kriener, Bohannon, Dailey look exactly the same as they did last year. Either Fran needs to rethink his views on weightlifting or he needs to stop recruiting baby faced players who don't have the frame to develop into Big 10 bodies.

Fran talks as if matching up physically is purely an effort thing. Iowa doesn't match up physically because with the exception of Cook every player on the other team is bigger, faster, stronger than their Iowa counterpart. At some point there is nothing a player can do if the guy he is going against is just physically superior. Baer and Moss have been in the program for several years and neither lool like they have ever been in the weightroom. Kriener, Bohannon, Dailey look exactly the same as they did last year. Either Fran needs to rethink his views on weightlifting or he needs to stop recruiting baby faced players who don't have the frame to develop into Big 10 bodies.
I was just thinking about that last night as I watched. Very few Iowa players look like they’ve been in a weight room. I know you don’t want to get too big and mess with mechanics, but holy cow gain some strength. And I’m definitely getting tired of watching turnovers and then Iowa players standing around and not doing anything about it.

I am sorry but you look at other teams and their guys are fast, ripped, and athletically superior to our guys on the floor (minus cook). I just laughed last night watching Rutgers guards just fly past our guys and dribble through our double teams and essentially shut down our guards. JBO only chance was to chuck three's, penetration into the lane was not allowed by Rutgers Defense.

What Rutgers showed me last night is, when your good defensively the offense will come and you will have nights like last night. They looked pretty good on both ends. Iowa showed me that when you suck at defense, it makes the game tough to watch. Because your offense is struggling and therefore if your a sieve on defense it makes the game tough to watch and you look like a JH team out there.

I'm as frustrated as anyone and can hardly stand to watch anymore. But the people that come on here or social media and gnash their teeth and light their torches every game need to find a better hobby that makes them less stressed out. The team is bad and had severe deficiencies, mainly upperclassmen leadership when things go wrong. Why do you think it'll suddenly change from game to game?. I sure as hell hope Fran knows it but what do you expect him to say after games? My team sucks, we're not athletic, we really have no chance.

I have 3 things I want to see for next year, if he doesn't do them then he deserves to have a HOT seat.

1. Find out who's in. Who's going to play hard, who can contribute? Give them the playing time and look for growth.

2. Fran needs to take a hard, hard look at his staff. Somebody who is young with a defensive mindset and can be a recruiting plus is an absolute must. Our staff is largely old/aging and is stale in my opinion.

3. He needs to turn the roster over. I'm having conversations with at a minimum Ellingson and Wagner. These are guys that quite literally contribute nothing, can't dribble and are best suited to take their remaining eligibility to a mid-major or perhaps football (Wagner). They've had 3-4 years to prove themselves, it's time to move on and we've recruited players over them. If we can get even 1 capable, athletic PG to run the show with Wieskamp coming in, next year could be drastically different. Bohannon, Moss and WIeskamp could all be deadly shooters if they are able to play off the ball and someone can create open looks for them.

Last edited:
  • ..and that'll make history, but first you gotta get speed.

• 01:02:08 Demon speed. Speed's what we need.

• 01:02:11 We need greasy, fast speed!

Quotes from Rocky movie. This is what we need. Mick said it best.

fran needed to follow the wisconsin model a little closer. Red shirt some guys occasionally to develop and have a couple athletes. especially bigs. teach sound defense and post moves for everyone.

I'm as frustrated as anyone and can hardly stand to watch anymore. But the people that come on here or social media and gnash their teeth and light their torches every game need to find a better hobby that makes them less stressed out. The team is bad and had severe deficiencies, mainly upperclassmen leadership when things go wrong. Why do you think it'll suddenly change from game to game?. I sure as hell hope Fran knows it but what do you expect him to say after games? My team sucks, we're not athletic, we really have no chance.

I have 3 things I want to see for next year, if he doesn't do them then he deserves to have a HOT seat.

1. Find out who's in. Who's going to play hard, who can contribute? Give them the playing time and look for growth.

2. Fran needs to take a hard, hard look at his staff. Somebody who is young with a defensive mindset and can be a recruiting plus is an absolute must. Our staff is largely old/aging and is stale in my opinion.

3. He needs to turn the roster over. I'm having conversations with at a minimum Ellingson and Wagner. These are guys that quite literally contribute nothing, can't dribble and are best suited to take their remaining eligibility to a mid-major or perhaps football (Wagner). They've had 3-4 years to prove themselves, it's time to move on and we've recruited players over them. If we can get even 1 capable, athletic PG to run the show with Wieskamp coming in, next year could be drastically different. Bohannon, Moss and WIeskamp could all be deadly shooters if they are able to play off the ball and someone can create open looks for them.
especially the coaching.... a good coach knows their limitations and finds someone to complement them.

I don't disagree with anything in your post, but Fran will do 0 of the above. He is incapable of doing what should come naturally to him--preserve his job through better recruiting. If 3 guys leave, he will throw out 3 more scholarship to random players that don't meet any critical need OR he will bank them as part of some year 10 strategy. Spot on about the staff as well.

Fran is not a brand kids are buying into that much is clear.

Reactions: Mcbooger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT