ADVERTISEMENT

Rabdogate in today's CFB climate

Dec 14, 2002
How differently would the Rabdo situation be handled today?

Would Barta put KF on administrative leave? How about Doyle? Would Doyle still be named assistant coach of the year?

Well, there is still a lot of misunderstanding of what Rhabdo is and what can lead to it. I guess there is a possibility of Doyle being put on leave.This was an extreme case with this many athletes experiencing the condition and an investigation was warranted. I would so no chance of KF being put on leave, Doyle? I guess it's possible he could be put on leave until an investigation completed but feel confident in the investigation that WAS done.

Last edited:
Oregon just went through a rhabdo case in 2017 where multiple players were hospitalized.

Their strength coach, Irele Oderinde, was suspended for a month, but then reinstated. He ended up following Taggart to Florida State and is the strength coach there now.

Would Barta put KF on administrative leave? How about Doyle? Would Doyle still be named assistant coach of the year?

The coach of the year thing was basically KF telling all the people calling for a pound of flesh from Doyle to go pound sand. He doubled down on believing his guy, which is what you want your leader to do if he believes in one of his coaches.

In terms of what would happen today, I don't know. The worst part about how the situation was how Iowa handled the PR/communications in the aftermath. Not releasing information to the public, then when it became known not putting KF out there but having Federici, the Director of Operations, be the one meeting the media and offering no context or answers. If Poggi's Dad hadn't been there and advocating that he thought his son was being taken care of, it would have been even more of a PR disaster.

Every fan base will see their own coaching staff in the most favorable light possible. They are on "our team" so they are virtuous. But same thing happens at another school and people must be accountable. It's what we do.

They mishandled the PR aspect in 2011, and would have mishandled the PR aspect in 2018. Barta sucks.
LOL ... yeah, Iowa hasn't always been the best as it's related to the communication side of things. However, that's not a "Ferentz" thing ... that's an athletic department thing.

Nebraska just went through it too. I think if you get out ahead of it, and actually try to do something you will just get your wrist slapped as long as something like death or permanent damage doesnt happen.

In today's climate, I have very little doubt Doyle and/or others would have been put on administrative leave while this was investigated. I think if something like that happened today, no strength coach would go unpunished if 13 players were hospitalized with such a serious condition. I would expect a significant suspension if not termination. A lot has changed in 7 years as it relates to player safety, coaching accountability and last but not least, a somewhat sensitive public that demands steep justice for even the smallest transgression.

Reactions: K OKeefe
In today's climate, I have very little doubt Doyle and/or others would have been put on administrative leave while this was investigated. I think if something like that happened today, no strength coach would go unpunished if 13 players were hospitalized with such a serious condition. I would expect a significant suspension if not termination. A lot has changed in 7 years as it relates to player safety, coaching accountability and last but not least, a somewhat sensitive public that demands steep justice for even the smallest transgression.
100% disagree, if you look at the studies on similar incidents there are more unknowns to the cause than known. We are comparing an intense workout to "today's climate". I believe we are comparing an intense workout to things like: Child molestation at PSU, a doctor assaulting athletes at MSU, sweeping sexual assault under the rug at Baylor, Minnisota and MSU, a coach who kept his job after domestic abuse at OSU and of course a player dieing (literally dieing) at Maryland.........I am not a morality expert but the intense workout compared to the others seem a bit minor

100% disagree, if you look at the studies on similar incidents there are more unknowns to the cause than known. We are comparing an intense workout to "today's climate". I believe we are comparing an intense workout to things like: Child molestation at PSU, a doctor assaulting athletes at MSU, sweeping sexual assault under the rug at Baylor, Minnisota and MSU, a coach who kept his job after domestic abuse at OSU and of course a player dieing (literally dieing) at Maryland.........I am not a morality expert but the intense workout compared to the others seem a bit minor

I don’t know that there’s a lot of “unknowns” about rhabdo. It’s not contagious so you can rule that possibility out. It can be due to genetic factors but the chances of that are astronomical when several players get it. Recreational drug use can increase the chances of it due to the strain on the kidneys but that also seems highly unlikely.

The logical explanation is they were overworked and likely didn’t hydrate properly. That’s on Doyle. He’s great at what he does and we’re lucky to have him but an investigation w/ paid admin leave wouldn’t be out of the question if it happened today. And if player safety is really of utmost importance, I can get behind that.

So what you're saying is we should demand swift and steep justice upon the sensitive public for the transgression of them being overly sensitive?.........

I can help with that. :)

I don’t know that there’s a lot of “unknowns” about rhabdo. It’s not contagious so you can rule that possibility out. It can be due to genetic factors but the chances of that are astronomical when several players get it. Recreational drug use can increase the chances of it due to the strain on the kidneys but that also seems highly unlikely.

The logical explanation is they were overworked and likely didn’t hydrate properly. That’s on Doyle. He’s great at what he does and we’re lucky to have him but an investigation w/ paid admin leave wouldn’t be out of the question if it happened today. And if player safety is really of utmost importance, I can get behind that.
I can certainly agree with this, but my point is that crossing the line with trying to push elite athletes in a workout is far less "appalling" than the things that are going on around the country. The staff no longer does this workout (or at least moved when they do this workout) The problem with this instance was it after a break and the coaches expected the players to stay in prime shape and tested the athletes dedication and their requirements with this workout....it was an unfortunate mistake, but nothing more and nothing less. A thourouh 3rd party investigation occured and this was their findings.

I think Iowa handled it properly at the time and would handle it properly now.
I respectfully disagree. Giving Doyle the Iowa coach of the year award that year did them no favors in public perception. It appeared tone deaf.

I respectfully disagree. Giving Doyle the Iowa coach of the year award that year did them no favors in public perception. It appeared tone deaf.

I like that Kirk did that. He knows his program. And he knows Doyle. He was also confident that the rhabdo problem was dealt with properly and wouldn’t ever happen again at Iowa. And I f anyone on the outside felt differently, feel free to kiss Doyle’s trophy.

They performed the workout previously with no issues. It’s likely the players weren’t in good enough shape or hydrated enough to perform it. The coaching staff can’t babysit the players 24/7 and isn’t at fault for the players that may have been out drinking late or were using non-approved supplements.

Reactions: goodbyebobby

Here is an interesting discussion. John Feinstein, a well known author, talks about the strength and conditioning coach spending more time with players than any other coach. John talks about how players are pushed and challenged by the S&C coach, who players work with almost every day. John says the S&C coach needs to know each player individually and how to push them based on their mental and physical make up. One player might be able to take something that another player can't. John says there is a line between pushing someone to do their best, to get better, to push themselves to the limit and going over the line, and the best coaches know where the line is.

How can you argue with that statement.

If I were to be honest, and I hate to say it, but when Doyle put several players in the hospital, I think he crossed that line.

Were there ever lawsuits by the players who were hospitalized? Did Iowa settle?

LINK: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/m...-heatstroke-death-raises-scrutiny-of-coaching

Last edited:
Here is an interesting discussion. John Feinstein, a well known author, talks about the strength and conditioning coach spending more time with players than any other coach. John talks about how players are pushed and challenged by the S&C coach, who players work with almost every day. John says the S&C coach needs to know each player individually and how to push them based on their mental and physical make up. John says there is a line between pushing someone to do their best, to get better, to push themselves to the limit and going over the line, and the best coaches know where the line is.

I hate to say it, but when Doyle put several players in the hospital, I think he crossed that line.

Were there ever lawsuits by the players who were hospitalized?

LINK: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/m...-heatstroke-death-raises-scrutiny-of-coaching

It’s great to know that we have writers & authors who are now S&C experts on idtenifying a training regimen line for each player. I can’t wait to read how he proposes to do this and how can expertly tell for each player when they are close to such line. I think Kirk needs to reach out to John and hire him.

It’s great to know that we have writers & authors who are now S&C experts on idtenifying a training regimen line for each player. I can’t wait to read how he proposes to do this and how can expertly tell for each player when they are close to such line. I think Kirk needs to reach out to John and hire him.
watch the video; how you can disagree with him is beyond me.

you really think that a line was not crossed when Doyle ended up putting 13 players in the hospital? Please answer that question.

Is putting 13 players in the hospital a routine, normal thing that you see in college football? Of course not.

So, yeah, that line John is talking about was crossed.

Again, I hate to admit it, but I am being honest and not looking thru black and gold glasses. I know Doyle is idolized on here and he is the highest paid S&C coach in the USA but what happened during that workout was a huge mistake on his part. And if he were honest, he would admit mistakes were made, because again, a work out should not result in hospitalization of 13 of your players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cydkar
They performed the workout previously with no issues. It’s likely the players weren’t in good enough shape or hydrated enough to perform it. The coaching staff can’t babysit the players 24/7 and isn’t at fault for the players that may have been out drinking late or were using non-approved supplements.
I always got the impression those kids didn't do what they were told to do over their break? This workout had been done for years prior, yes?

I always got the impression those kids didn't do what they were told to do over their break? This workout had been done for years prior, yes?
Heavy workouts of the type done on Jan. 20, 2011, had been conducted successfully in June 2004 and December 2007 and were not known to cause rhabdomyolysis. Therefore, the football coaches, strength coaches or athletic trainers did not have reason to suspect that a similar workout in 2011 would cause rhabdomyolysis in 13 players. However, timing of the 2011 workout was different than in 2004 and 2007. The 2004 workout occurred in June, and the 2007 workout was in December after a one-week break. The 2011 workout followed a three-week break.

LINK: https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com...eport-is-out-and-you-already-know-whats-in-it

watch the video; how you can disagree with him is beyond me.

you really think that a line was not crossed when Doyle ended up putting players in the hospital? Please answer that question.

Is putting several players in the hospital a routine thing that you see in college football? Of course not.

So, yeah, that line John is talking about was crossed. Again, I hate to admit it, but I am being honest and not looking thru black and gold glasses. I know Doyle is idolized on here and he is the highest paid S&C coach in the USA but what happened during that workout was a huge mistake on his part. And if he were honest, he would admit mistakes were made, because again, a work out should not result in hospitalization of your players.

You have no idea what you are talking about but are standing behind writers who do.

As a person that has also had Rhabdo after a workout I have first hand knowledge of this and how I had no idea I had pushed myself past a line until the next time I relieved myself. Of course I did not have John to consult with either who could have expertly identified my workout line. I was not hospitalized but went to my doctor that explained what it was and what I needed to do to recover.

When working out intensely, with large muscle groups it’s not that difficult to get this with or without Doyle or John Feinstein.

Heavy workouts of the type done on Jan. 20, 2011, had been conducted successfully in June 2004 and December 2007 and were not known to cause rhabdomyolysis. Therefore, the football coaches, strength coaches or athletic trainers did not have reason to suspect that a similar workout in 2011 would cause rhabdomyolysis in 13 players. However, timing of the 2011 workout was different than in 2004 and 2007. The 2004 workout occurred in June, and the 2007 workout was in December after a one-week break. The 2011 workout followed a three-week break.

LINK: https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com...eport-is-out-and-you-already-know-whats-in-it
Interesting, I wasn't sure and knew someone would let everyone know.

You have no idea what you are talking about but are standing behind writers who do.

As a person that has also had Rhabdo after a workout I have first hand knowledge of this and how I had no idea I had pushed myself past a line until the next time I relieved myself. Of course I did not have John to consult with either who could have expertly identified my workout line. I was not hospitalized but went to my doctor that explained what it was and what I needed to do to recover.

When working out intensely, with large muscle groups it’s not that difficult to get this with or without Doyle or John Feinstein.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You didn't watch the video. And you are looking thru black and gold glasses. Anything I miss? Be honest. Anything I miss?

Doyle made mistakes. And why do I say this?

* A work out like this after a 3 week layoff was the first mistake.

* Crossing a line during that intense work out was the 2nd mistake.

* 13 players hospitalized makes me wonder how many other mistake were made.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You didn't watch the video. And you are looking thru black and gold glasses. Anything I miss? Be honest. Anything I miss?

Doyle made mistakes.

A work out like this after a 3 week layoff was the first mistake.

Crossing a line during that intense work out was the 2nd mistake.

13 players hospitalized makes me wonder how many other mistake were made.

Do tell us all what the line was? Ask John if you need to.

Do tell us all what the line was? Ask John if you need to.
thanks for proving me right; you didn't watch the video and you are looking thru black and gold glasses.

What John said, if you had watched the video: there is a line between pushing someone to do their best, to get better, to push themselves to the limit and going over the line, and the best coaches know where the line is.

Obviously, on that day, if Doyle had known where that line was, 13 players would not have ended up in the hospital.

I hope, 7 years later, Doyle knows where that line is. He is being paid $725,000 a year to know where that line is, after all.

thanks for proving me right; you didn't watch the video and you are looking thru black and gold glasses.

What John said, if you had watched the video: there is a line between pushing someone to do their best, to get better, to push themselves to the limit and going over the line, and the best coaches know where the line is.

Obviously, on that day, if Doyle had known where that line was, 13 players would not have ended up in the hospital.

I hope, 7 years later, Doyle knows where that line is. He is being paid $725,000 to know where that line is, after all.

Laughable.

Doyle made mistakes. And why do I say this?

* A work out like this after a 3 week layoff was the first mistake.

* Crossing a line during that intense work out was the 2nd mistake.

* 13 players hospitalized makes me wonder how many other mistake were made.
Fran I don't know what in the world has gotten into you this year. You sound very angry and have sounded very angry in pretty much all your posts. And1 gave you a decent first hand account of what others have only written about. However you choose to belittle and discount that post. What is wrong with you?

Can’t wait to hire you and John Feinstein for our S&C. Going to enjoy your diagnosis on every player’s line. If only Kirk knew what he had in you both earlier.
as seen in your post here, all you are left with is sarcasm. you are just digging a bigger hole for yourself. You are not being objective at all. You think 13 players being hospitalized after a workout is a normal thing. Newsflash: It isn't. And the the parents of those 13 would agree, too.

as seen in your post here, all you are left with is sarcasm. you are just digging a bigger hole for yourself. You are not being objective at all. You think 13 players being hospitalized after a workout is a normal thing. Newsflash: It isn't. And the the parents of those 13 would agree, too.

I’m saying you are representing yourself as a knowledge expert on this when you are not. That’s embarrassing. If pointing that fact out digs a hole for me so be it.

I’m saying you are representing yourself as a knowledge expert on this when you are not. That’s embarrassing. If pointing that fact out digs a hole for me so be it.
mistakes were made. a line was crossed. that's why Iowa addressed it and made changes, as noted in post #34

Raise your hand if you had ever heard of rhabdo before the Iowa players got it. I thought so.

Reactions: Franisdaman
And Iowa actually agreed mistakes were made and they made changes.

Read for yourself:

Iowa changes workout standards after 12 football players are hospitalized

Published on Jan. 26, 2011

LINK: http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...ds-after-12-football-players-are-hospitalized

I’m not going to waste my time reading a bunch of fluff, PR. Bottom line is this can happen anytime to anyone who is working out intensely with large muscle groups. To think you can forever prevent it is a misnomer outside of just not working out.

The only saving grace is we now have experts who know how to set and monitor exact workout lines for each individual player.

More proof a line was crossed /mistakes were made that day?

* The football strength and conditioning staff has abandoned that particular workout.

* How often does a workout result in a lawsuit being filed? Former player William Lowe sued Iowa for mistreatment during and after the workout and for continued physical and mental suffering stemming from his bout with rhabdo. Lowe, a cornerback, asked for and received his release from the program in April 2011, citing lingering effects from rhabdo. Lowe told ESPN's Joe Schad that (at that time) he had lost 20 pounds and was still experiencing headaches.

* Iowa ended up settling and paid Lowe $15,000. Again, if mistakes were not made, why pay?

SOURCES:

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/97190/ex-iowa-player-sues-for-rhabdo-injuries

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...s-lawsuit-ex-player-injured-workout/78519382/

you simply admitted you are ignorant on this topic.

thank you.

I, on the other hand, have read up on this topic and have tried to stay objective.

You’ve read up, I’ve actually had it but yes you are the knowledge expert.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT