ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ---Riley Moss returning to Iowa in 2022---

Honestly don't see the defense taking much of, if any, step back at all now.

Koerner will be missed for sure, but X is a special talent that will factor in right away.

ZVV was damn good, but only had 5.5 of our 31 sacks, and now guys like Van Ness, Craig, Llewellyn, Hurkett (thought he was playing very well before he got hurt), and Reames will be another year older and stronger. Not to mention Evans, Shannon (super underrated IMO), Lee, Waggoner (probably moves inside now?), and Pittman, + Graves and Crawford. DL room is loaded rn.

LBs the exact same, still stacked.

This is an important one not just because of his return skills but the WR room is a little light.
The only issue I'd have with that is we have a disproportionate amount of slot types. ABIV, Jones, Ragaini, and Vines are all somewhat of the same mold. We need KJ to stay healthy and Brecht or someone else to step up to be that big-bodied X that moves the chains and makes the tough RZ catches.

The only issue I'd have with that is we have a disproportionate amount of slot types. ABIV, Jones, Ragaini, and Vines are all somewhat of the same mold. We need KJ to stay healthy and Brecht or someone else to step up to be that big-bodied X that moves the chains and makes the tough RZ catches.

Well, if you don't have Jones you are relying on Johnson, Bruce and Ragaini as the only experienced receivers. That is kind of scary. I also don't think Jones is a slot guy. And the odds of them finding a big body WR in the portal that is good that will come play in a horrible passing offense is close to zero. So you are entering the year with 3 guys with experience, Vines, Brech and a true freshman in Bostick. A couple of injuries and Jackson Ritter is your main receiver.

I would agree, Frosty, but I'd also add this: Unless and until the offensive scheme, QB talent, and play calling step up significantly, it won't matter much who Iowa has at WR. Jones, I believe, wasn't targeted ONCE vs. Kentucky, so he might as well have been home watching on TV.

It's great that Moss is returning, and I hope Campbell, Belton, Jones, and everyone else on the defense will return as well. But until KF does the unthinkable and finds a mobile QB who throws with accuracy and adopts a 21st century offensive scheme, the Hawkeyes will continue to waste one of the top defenses and special teams groups in the country. How sad.

Koerner will be missed for sure, but X is a special talent that will factor in right away.

ZVV was damn good, but only had 5.5 of our 31 sacks, and now guys like Van Ness, Craig, Llewellyn, Hurkett (thought he was playing very well before he got hurt), and Reames will be another year older and stronger. Not to mention Evans, Shannon (super underrated IMO), Lee, Waggoner (probably moves inside now?), and Pittman, + Graves and Crawford. DL room is loaded rn.

If Belton and Campbell stay, there's no doubt the d will be even better next year
You da man RM!

Reactions: kceasthawk

Logan Jones..

I would agree, Frosty, but I'd also add this: Unless and until the offensive scheme, QB talent, and play calling step up significantly, it won't matter much who Iowa has at WR. Jones, I believe, wasn't targeted ONCE vs. Kentucky, so he might as well have been home watching on TV.

It's great that Moss is returning, and I hope Campbell, Belton, Jones, and everyone else on the defense will return as well. But until KF does the unthinkable and finds a mobile QB who throws with accuracy and adopts a 21st century offensive scheme, the Hawkeyes will continue to waste one of the top defenses and special teams groups in the country. How sad.
I think the WR use stems from a QB that locks on 84 and if he isn't open checks down to RB.

Another one who might step up a bit in the X is Jackson Ritter. Not saying he's the next Marvin McNutt or anything like that, but he could help provide some depth at that position.

Perhaps a position to look for immediate help from the Portal?

Well, if you don't have Jones you are relying on Johnson, Bruce and Ragaini as the only experienced receivers. That is kind of scary. I also don't think Jones is a slot guy. And the odds of them finding a big body WR in the portal that is good that will come play in a horrible passing offense is close to zero. So you are entering the year with 3 guys with experience, Vines, Brech and a true freshman in Bostick. A couple of injuries and Jackson Ritter is your main receiver.
Also true, but I saw a neat comparison on another site.

Freshmen year 2017:

Brandon Smith- 3 rec, 15 yards
ISM- 18 rec, 187 yards, 2 TD

Freshmen year 2021:

KJ- 18 rec, 357 yards, 2 TD
ABIV- 25 rec, 205 yards, 1 TD, AND 9 car, 69 yards (nice), 3 TDs

They're already further along in their development than a pair of dang good WRs, and as long as Copeland can do a similar job, the sky's the limit for our young bucks.

anchorman-jump.gif

Also true, but I saw a neat comparison on another site.

Freshmen year 2017:

Brandon Smith- 3 rec, 15 yards
ISM- 18 rec, 187 yards, 2 TD

Freshmen year 2021:

KJ- 18 rec, 357 yards, 2 TD
ABIV- 25 rec, 205 yards, 1 TD, AND 9 car, 69 yards (nice), 3 TDs

They're already further along in their development than a pair of dang good WRs, and as long as Copeland can do a similar job, the sky's the limit for our young bucks.

I’m not arguing that you are wrong about their development... but I’ll say that stats are not the way to evaluate that.

I’m not arguing that you are wrong about their development... but I’ll say that stats are not the way to evaluate that.
Don't disagree, I just feel it shows their potential for improvement in year two.

Not expecting 1000 yard seasons. I'd say a realistic expectation could be as follows:

KJ ~500 yards, 4 TDs
ABIV ~350 yards, 3 TDs, and another ~150 and 3 TDs on the ground.

Unless you're a sure-fire top pick, I'd say come back too. Get more education, play a college sport with your buddies another year, and delay having to grow up for a year. And I DON'T say that to sound like a prick. I get it that some are just ready to move on and start the next chapter in life and that's great, but live the "dream" life as long as you can!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT