ADVERTISEMENT

Sasso goes down

Guys with a tough cut can struggle early. Agree with what everyone is saying about him not taking the next step. He's an elite counter wrestler but always thought he needed more attacks to be overall elite

It’s week 1 and a loss early sometimes is a good thing. Sasso is the type of wrestler that has been living dangerously for a long time and maybe this wakes him up a bit.

In other news the nits look good, 44-3 the red shirt frosh van Ness and facunda look like keepers.
I’ll take PK over Facunda all day and twice on Sunday. Murin and Van Ness should be fun I’ll take the experience right now though.

Reactions: mean15
Announcers said they spoke with a referee that told them potentially dangerous is going to be a focus this year and will be called much more. There was a number of them called in the meet.

Announcers said they spoke with a referee that told them potentially dangerous is going to be a focus this year and will be called much more. There was a number of them called in the meet.
Opposing coaches will be begging for that call every time Spencer bars the arm. With the new emphasis, I suspect he'll get stopped quite a few times just as he's taking the guy over. I doubt it will change the inevitable -- probably just delay it. Certainly hope he doesn't end up getting robbed of points against more competitive opponents.

You can bet the Princeton staff will be in the ref's ear in advance and going nuts about potentially dangerous every time Spencer puts the screws to Glory. Hope potentially dangerous doesn't become the new "hands to the face" (see Spencer-Rivera in the Big Ten finals in Minneapolis). Assuming his knees hold up, however, no amount of costly bad calls should change the outcome this time around.

Opposing coaches will be begging for that call every time Spencer bars the arm. With the new emphasis, I suspect he'll get stopped quite a few times just as he's taking the guy over. I doubt it will change the inevitable -- probably just delay it. Certainly hope he doesn't end up getting robbed of points against more competitive opponents.

You can bet the Princeton staff will be in the ref's ear in advance and going nuts about potentially dangerous every time Spencer puts the screws to Glory. Hope potentially dangerous doesn't become the new "hands to the face" (see Spencer-Rivera in the Big Ten finals in Minneapolis). Assuming his knees hold up, however, no amount of costly bad calls should change the outcome this time around.
I already thought referees called potentially dangerous too early and unnecessarily before this new emphasis. If I’m Lee, wouldn’t even bother. It’s going to get called every time and then the opposing wrestler will get a fresh start. Tilts all day.

Speaking of emphasis, how about they put an emphasis on calling stalling. God forbid they put an emphasis on something that would actually improve the product.

I already thought referees called potentially dangerous too early and unnecessarily before this new emphasis. If I’m Lee, wouldn’t even bother. It’s going to get called every time and then the opposing wrestler will get a fresh start. Tilts all day.

Speaking of emphasis, how about they put an emphasis on calling stalling. God forbid they put an emphasis on something that would actually improve the product.
Should have added that Spencer will adapt as necessary. He always does. Don't think I've ever seen a mat IQ or ability to adapt on the fly like his.

I already thought referees called potentially dangerous too early and unnecessarily before this new emphasis.
It's not a matter of just thinking, we all know it's being called ridiculously early. Last year was bad enough.

Too bad they won't focus on things that really lessen the sport, like people backing out of the circle.

Sometimes I think I'll projectile vomit if I see that silly hand spinning "action" symbol again.

Emphasis on getting rid of the figure 4 hump a leg stall ride would certainly improve things.

Did they comment on how they will officiate biting this year?

Asking for Marv Albert and NB.

It's not a matter of just thinking, we all know it's being called ridiculously early. Last year was bad enough.

Too bad they won't focus on things that really lessen the sport, like people backing out of the circle.

Sometimes I think I'll projectile vomit if I see that silly hand spinning "action" symbol again.
Possibly the dumbest rule in the history of college wrestling, invented by a committee that doesn’t have the balls to just put in a push-out rule and be done with it.

Some committee members have said they don’t want to lose “the action on the edge”. What a joke and a lame excuse for not creating a rule with some teeth that can actually be enforced consistently. This “action on the edge” is most often a stalling wrestler diving out of bounds while the aggressor struggles to take him down before he escapes. How about encouraging actual action in the center, where wrestling is intended to take place?🤦🏻‍♂️

As many of us predicted, this joke of an edge rule has been applied almost randomly, with zero consistency. Exactly the same action is sometimes called stalling for backing straight out, sometimes called stalling on the aggressor, and sometimes called “action” (that famously ridiculous circular motion by the ref who’s usually basically guessing and/or doesn’t have the guts to actually make a call). Hopefully the rules committee wakes up one of these days and does the right thing.

Possibly the dumbest rule in the history of college wrestling, invented by a committee that doesn’t have the balls to just put in a push-out rule and be done with it.

Some committee members have said they don’t want to lose “the action on the edge”. What a joke and a lame excuse for not creating a rule with some teeth that can actually be enforced consistently. This “action on the edge” is most often a stalling wrestler diving out of bounds while the aggressor struggles to take him down before he escapes. How about encouraging actual action in the center, where wrestling is intended to take place?🤦🏻‍♂️

As many of us predicted, this joke of an edge rule has been applied almost randomly, with zero consistency. Exactly the same action is sometimes called stalling for backing straight out, sometimes called stalling on the aggressor, and sometimes called “action” (that famously ridiculous circular motion by the ref who’s usually basically guessing and/or doesn’t have the guts to actually make a call). Hopefully the rules committee wakes up one of these days and does the right thing.
Action on the edge and a push out time are not mutually exclusive. We could have both!

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT