ADVERTISEMENT

Shot attempts: pistol Pete vs ponytail pete

Much is made about Pete only playing 3 seasons with no 3 point line, which is legitimate. Also legitimate, is the fact that to this point, he had 660 more shot attempts than Caitlin.
What a bogus attempt at a comparison. He also averaged about 16 more points per game than Clark, set his record in three seasons vs four and played 46 less games than Clark. Clark has made 487 three point goals. Take that away and she would not be challenging the record. She plays with a smaller ball which was chosen to make the game easier for women to handle the ball and shoot from farther away with more ease.
More impressively, he played with a congenital heart defect that most people die from in their teens.

What a bogus attempt at a comparison. He also averaged about 16 more points per game than Clark, set his record in three seasons vs four and played 46 less games than Clark. Clark has made 487 three point goals. Take that away and she would not be challenging the record. She plays with a smaller ball which was chosen to make the game easier for women to handle the ball and shoot from farther away with more ease.
More impressively, he played with a congenital heart defect that most people die from in their teens.
Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Assuming Caitlin would take logo 2s at the same rate as logo 3s, that adjusts her point total lower by 487 points, giving her 3082 points, or a 585 point difference. Going forward, with no 3 pointers, could Caitlin score 585 points on 660 shots? Her career 2 point percentage is about 55%. That would give her another 726 points shooting at Pete’s volume, plus free throws on drives to the basket over 3 pointers.

Legitimate point on ball size, although women’s musculature and bone structure are different. I’m not sure what the heart condition has to do with anything since he didn’t die. Also, Pete played in a mostly still-segregated SEC, so make of that what you will. Also, playing for his dad, running the offense through him and letting him jack up those shots, didn’t hurt.

Last edited:
I only saw a few highlights from Pete - but it seems like he and CC both made incredible passes - behind the back, half court, etc. Both over the top on this.
Also, I don't know if it has merit, but watching the women - many Hawk players are making passes for assists that I don't recall seeing on many teams in the past.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
You’re so ridiculous. While a great player he basically only played against white players. Go look at the clips. His entire team was white as well. It’s a different era of ball honestly. He averaged double the amount of shots Caitlin is taking. Averaged 39 shots a game. Clark would average another 18 points at a minimum if she were to take 39 shots a game. That would put her average at 50 points a game this year.

Plus he had the biggest handicap in men’s college basketball: being a white guy.

Legitimate point on ball size, although women’s musculature and bone structure are different. I’m not sure what the heart condition has to do with anything since he didn’t die. Also, Pete played in a mostly still-segregated SEC, so make of that what you will. Also, playing for his dad, running the offense through him and letting him jack up those shots, didn’t hurt.
Lynette Woodward didn't have the 3 pointer, nor the smaller ball. She was a post player, but this wouldv'e spread the court more for her. How many other of the leading women's scorers played with the larger ball? Not taking away from Caitlin, she's a generational talent. But makes you wonder.

ball basket GIF

Someone afraid a WOMAN is going to break the the record of the great Pistol Pete? He was called ‘Pistol’ for a reason.

I loved watching clips of Pete as a kid, amazing handles and great scoring ability. His teams didn't win tho; made a nice NIT run his sr year but never made the tournament. A lot of complaints that daddy was just trying to pad his boys stats and not as concerned with winning games.

I loved watching clips of Pete as a kid, amazing handles and great scoring ability. His teams didn't win tho; made a nice NIT run his sr year but never made the tournament. A lot of complaints that daddy was just trying to pad his boys stats and not as concerned with winning games.

Just for some context, LSU was 3-23 the year before Pete was eligible (his freshman year). They were 14-12 overall (8-10 in conference), then 13-13 (7-11), then 22-10 (13-5) in his 3 years. Not bad/not great.

The NCAA Tournament was pretty difficult (in comparison) to make back when he played. 1968 had 23 teams, 1969 had 25 teams. 1970 had 25 teams.

From the LSU web site, here's a list of his college accomplishments. Pretty, pretty good. :)

LSU Career Highlights:
Three-year letter winner (1967-70)
The Sporting News College Player of the Year (1970)
Naismith Award Winner (1970)
The Sporting News All-America First Team (1968, 1969, 1970)
Three-time AP and UPI First-Team All-America (1968, 1969, 1970)
Holds NCAA career record for most points (3,667, 44.2 ppg, three-year career) in 83 games
Holds NCAA career record for highest points per game average (44.2 ppg)
Holds NCAA record for most field goals made (1,387) and attempted (3,166)
Holds NCAA record for most free throws made (893) and attempted (1,152)
Holds NCAA record for most games scoring at least 50 points (28)
Holds NCAA single-season record for most points (1,381) and highest per game average (44.5 ppg) in 1970
Ranks 1st, 4th and 5th for most points in a single season in NCAA history, averaging 44.5 points in 1970, 44.2 points in 1969 and 43.8 points in 1968.
Holds NCAA single-season record for most field goals made (522) and attempted (1,168) in 1970
Holds NCAA single-season record for most games scoring at least 50 points (10) in 1970
Holds NCAA single-game record for most free throws made (30 of 31) against Oregon State on Dec. 22, 1969
Led the NCAA Division I in scoring with 43.8 ppg (1968); 44.2 (1969) and 44.5 ppg (1970)
The 44.5 ppg average ranks best in NCAA history; 44.2 ppg (fourth); 43.8 ppg (fifth)
Averaged 43.6 ppg on the LSU freshman team (1967)
Scored a career-high 69 points vs. Alabama (Feb. 7, 1970); 66 vs. Tulane (Feb. 10, 1969); 64 vs. Kentucky (Feb. 21, 1970); 61 vs. Vanderbilt (Dec. 11, 1969);
Holds LSU records for most field goals in a game (26) against Vanderbilt on Jan. 29, 1969 and attempted (57) against Vanderbilt
All-Southeastern Conference (1968, 1969, 1970)
Led LSU to the NIT Final Four in 1970, its first post-season appearance in 16 years
In 1988, Louisiana Governor Buddy Roemer signed legislation changing the official name of LSU’s home court to the Maravich Assembly Center
In 1970, Maravich led LSU to a 20-8 record and a third place finish in the NIT
All-Time NCAA Career Scoring Leader with 3,667 points, an average of 44.2 points for 83 games.

You’re so ridiculous. While a great player he basically only played against white players. Go look at the clips. His entire team was white as well. It’s a different era of ball honestly. He averaged double the amount of shots Caitlin is taking. Averaged 39 shots a game. Clark would average another 18 points at a minimum if she were to take 39 shots a game. That would put her average at 50 points a game this year.
I'll say this, Guy is consistent. He must sit in his basement and think up shit to post about why what we have all watched the last 4 years, is just a mirage, and CC really isn't all that. No matter what everyone else thinks, "she's a girl" for christs sake, and "she uses a smaller ball". Like she herself petitioned the NCAA for a smaller ball just so she could tear up the record book. Without question this dude got bested by some female during his youth, and he just can't get past it. Maybe we Hawk fans should start up a go fund me page to get him the phycological help he so desperately needs.....

I love CC and am so happy that we get to enjoy her as much as we do being Hawks fans, but I hate when people do comparisons across generations. Your stats are spot on and I don't think it's fair to either of them, CC or PP, to make comparisions. That said, CC can shoot that damn ball. I mean who else have we ever seen consistently pull up from the logo and launch. Sister is unbelievable!!

Reactions: cmhawks99
I only saw a few highlights from Pete - but it seems like he and CC both made incredible passes - behind the back, half court, etc. Both over the top on this.
Also, I don't know if it has merit, but watching the women - many Hawk players are making passes for assists that I don't recall seeing on many teams in the past.
Good point about the rest of the team now making better passes…likely picking such skills up by watching CC play.

What a bogus attempt at a comparison. He also averaged about 16 more points per game than Clark, set his record in three seasons vs four and played 46 less games than Clark.
Maravich took nearly twice as many shots per game as Clark.

We're comparing her to Pistol Pete. I needed a laugh and this place never disappoints. Haha, holy shit.

I don’t get it. We’re not comparing them physically. We’re comparing their accomplishments.
And even then I feel it's totally absurd. The number of different variables that make each of them special, to me, have little overlap. That's like saying let's compare marathon times of men and women athletes or 100 m times from the 1910s to now. It's not like they played 1 on 1.

And even then I feel it's totally absurd. The number of different variables that make each of them special, to me, have little overlap. That's like saying let's compare marathon times of men and women athletes or 100 m times from the 1910s to now. It's not like they played 1 on 1.
The only comparison to be made between then two of them is number of points that they scored. The circumstances that led to that point total are irrelevant.

I am not sure what the big deal is comparing the two of them. Pistol Pete was incredible. But, so is Caitlin. Arguments could be made for both of them...it is a simple as that. However, one thing we can say about Cailtil that Pistol never had was that he never had blocks and blocks of people lining up at away games to catch a glimps of him. But, that was more due to the times. If Pistol was doing that today...watch out!!!!

Reactions: Tenacious E
It’s really not like that at all.

Pete / Caitlin
Shots: 3166 - 38.1/game / 2503 - 19.9/game
Made: 1387 - 43.8%. / 1171 - 46.8%
Assts: 425 / 1018
Rebs: 528 / 882
Games: 84 / 126
W/L: 49/35 / 98/28

The stats tell the tale. Caitlin is a better all around player, whose brilliance propelled her Iowa team to remarkable success. As opposed Pete’s LSU ream, which essentially was a platform, coached by his Dad, for showcasing Pete’s shooting talent. A showcasing of talent that never translated into much more than a mediocre record in a segregated conference.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Hawkman34
I believe the NIT was still reputable in the 1960’s, with the NCAA taking over in early 70’s as the dominant tournament.

Reactions: GOHOX69
How does it feel to be as stupid as you are? Are things kind of fuzzy or do colors look less vivid? And for those who think I’m being rude, come visit his handiwork on the off topic board. Or search for it.
You can compare me to you, I'm a proud American and you are a proud Marxist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT