ADVERTISEMENT

State College Booing Spencer pre-match showed a total lack of class!

You should ask JRod, Madden or JS or even NashvilleHawkeye why they like posting over on our board. Get your answer from one of your own. And get it from those that are way more respected than yourself.
Oh No !! I dont have the respect of an internet Troll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whatever shall i do?? I may take it to heart if you ever had anything of worth to say but I find your insults redundant and boring. basically you rehash the same tired rhetoric as the other trolls. and for God's sake why would ANYONE claim to be associated with Johnstown? That place is a place to visit and when you leave you scrape the crap off of your shoes as you leave. Oh , and as i stated before I don't go to other boards so if those fellas that you listed are posting on other boards i would have to take your word on it, I don't need the aggravation of looking for them.

• Haha
Reactions: johnstownsteel
I think what I’m trying to get at is that you have had a long line of historically great wrestlers come through CHA. And you are notorious for your tough treatment of the other team. I’m not reading anything about cheering anyone other than Steveson. Why is that?

In fact, the one thing I have read is the booing of Dake.

If CHA had a history of doing this with opposing great wrestlers, it would be easier to understand the criticism.

But it seems like it was one instance of an Olympic gold medalist with announced intentions to never wrestle again. Also not a heated rival or a dual with any doubt in the outcome.

If there is such a history with others, I’m glad to be educated.

Assuming Starocci and Brooks win their 3rd titles this year, it will be interesting to hear CHA’s welcoming of them next year.

I think what I’m trying to get at is that you have had a long line of historically great wrestlers come through CHA. And you are notorious for your tough treatment of the other team. I’m not reading anything about cheering anyone other than Steveson. Why is that?

If CHA had a history of doing this with opposing great wrestlers, it would be easier to understand the criticism.

But it seems like it was one instance of an Olympic gold medalist with announced intentions to never wrestle again. Also not a heated rival or a dual with any doubt in the outcome.

Assuming Starocci and Brooks win their 3rd titles this year, it will be interesting to hear CHA’s welcoming of them next year.
assume you have been reading your forum for all this information. know for sure you weren’t attending the meets…fyi. I WAS there. have heard cheering for a number of excellent opposing wrestlers.

My memory isn't what it once was, but I seem to remember Carl being well respected for his accomplishments until he left the Cyclowns a shambles and ran to the money at PSU. Strebler didn't meet the criteria as laid out in this thread for an ovation (neither did Carl when he last wrestled here). I'm pretty sure Snyder received some kind of ovation his last year here, but I can't remember with any certainty. Hopefully, someone on here can confirm that. I'm too lazy to look up if he wrestled in CHA after his first World Medal.
Man, I was raised a die hard Hawk and grew up going to duals at Carver, but even I had the life size pic of Carl the Des Moines Register released his senior year on my wall for years.

The entire state of Iowa was behind Carl that season.

LMAO. so only the ”good” fans are allowed in rec hall???

Hmmm. Did you really not understand the concept about long-standing season ticket holders? Or are you intentionally pretending to not be smart enough to understand? You can be honest.

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
I boo’d every Iowa wrestler’s introduction and yelled “sucks” right after the announcer said each of their names at intros.

Had I seen Tom, Terry, Spencer, Woods, Warner or Cass after the match, I would have sheepishly asked for their autograph and claimed it was for my son.

Maybe that makes me disrespectful. I get it if you think it does. But to me, it was all in good fun and what the home crowd is supposed to do.
Wow. Reading this is what a fan is supposed to do shows your total ignorance of sports in general except WWE. The all in good fun just makes me shake my head. Why I avoid you folks at Nationals, I have seen a lot of this type of bonehead crap from your fan base.
Really? I wouldn’t say he is modest, but that’s an opinion. No one at CHA gave Bo, Ruth, Zain or Nolf an ovation. They all also were three time champs- which to this point, is all Spencer is.
Nor were they disrespected. Only one of those made a gesture towards the crowd that I would say was a bit of the proverbial in your face and it was pretty tame by Carver standards. Those four kind of took off to finish their workouts like normal quality wrestlers do.

Hmmm. Did you really not understand the concept about long-standing season ticket holders? Or are you intentionally pretending to not be smart enough to understand? You can be honest.
ok, realize who you are so will give you a pass. do you not realize fans are fans, people are people. why should it make a difference how they react to someone who has been nothing but GREAT for the sport of wrestling? you don’t have to try to be honest…know you can not be.

I'd love to go to a few more matches but with Rec Hall has the main facility tickets are tougher to come by. My cousin got me a very nice pair for the Michigan meet at BJC. You more than double the capacity and I'm sure you'll have more WWE/ncaa fan types attending lolol.

Reactions: PAHURDLER
I have had mixed feelings about you for years. I do think you have been anti-Iowa sometimes, and have, whether intentionally or not, influenced recruits away from Iowa. I love your passion for the sport, even if it is sometimes misguided. I also believe you to be very knowledgeable about the sport, and undeserving of some of the shots you take here.
influenced recruits away from Iowa like
• talking to Phil Arnold throughout the process
• going to Iowa's big recruiting day (the only time i did so for any program ever)
• paying for Nate to go to Cadet Worlds

that narrative is simply false

Reactions: hlstone
• going to Iowa's big recruiting day (the only time i did so for any program ever)

I am sure someone will pull up 3 things to show otherwise....it is a no win situation for either side on this one.

I am sure someone will pull up 3 things to show otherwise....it is a no win situation for either side on this one.
Acting decently isn't that hard and it makes things go so much smoother. The match I attended at BJC was a little with all the random kids trying to start the We Are chant. But they're little so I ignore it.
I'm one of those quiet guys at a wrestling match trying to watch every little thing until something happens that's an obvious cheering kind of moment.
I'm not into booing anyone.

I was definitely bothered by the booing. Not how it should be handled of course.

Obviously nothing in the same stratosphere as what Iowa sports fans have done in the past at home (throw beer cans at black wrestlers, scream racial epithets, boo football players when they incur season ending injuries, etc.), but I agree that booing Spencer was out of character and reflected poorly on us.

Out of character? You have fans that still defend a pedophile.

I dont understand what people don't understand about the booing Spencer.

he's the sports biggest star, wrestles for the 'enemy', jilted PSU for Iowa and is from PA.

it's sports. that's what people do.

Phillies fans are irrationally p*ssed off at Mike Trout for resigning with the Angels instead of coming back home.

Eagles fans booed Santa Claus.

And other than Gable, who has Carver 'respected' ? It's notorious for booing. Universally considered the harshest crowd to visitors and that's a badge y'all usually wear with pride.
You gave pro examples.

I have been to every H.S. or above wrestling event except five when my sons were wrestling elsewhere that ever happened in CHA and I can say most any guy booed at CHA deserved it. Sure, a few people might boo a big rival from time to time, but the only ones booed by the masses brought it on themselves, showboating or antagonizing the crowd after a victory, sometimes after beating a backup. Some spent 5+ minutes stalling after getting an (often defensive) takedown and then shutting down and running and/or blocking off. I don't make a habit of booing college athletes (refs are a different story), but have been induced to do so a few times over the aforementioned activities. Starroci and Brooks will not be winning any World or Olympic medals prior to coming to CHA next year, so I doubt they'll get that ovation, which is in keeping with the guidelines laid out in this thread for ovations. The only time I remember Hawkeye fans booing Kyle Dake (he's generally liked by most Hawk fans I know) was in the NCAA finals against St. John when he repeatedly pushed him OOB to avoid escapes. He could have let him go and taken him down again instead of stalling. Some might have booed the refs in his first NCAA final as many thought they made some questionable calls in that match.

Maybe it is, but I doubt it. I know of a particular wrestler who by way of secondhand information (a trusted friend who heard it from him and told me) says that happened to him. He turned out to be troubled where he did go, and we really didn't need him, but he still stated that it happened. Maybe he lied. I'll give you the benefit I guess, and say he made it up, but I'm doubtful. And that's the one thing I said that you chose to comment about.

Last edited:
Reactions: moug and mcpat
Most venues when a guy comes into an arena with a strong history of success and it's the last time, he will ever wrestle in that venue the fans typically show their respect. Last year when Gable Stevenson came to Carver, the Iowa fans gave him a standing ovation at the end of his match. Iowa has a history of this type of class. I've never heard Carver boo someone during pre-match introductions. I've heard the boos when a guy showboats, puts his hand behind his ear after a win or acts like an idiot etc., but never pre match. I was shocked. I go back to an interview Spencer did recently when he said, the fans have been awesome and have been nice to him in arenas across the country. Telling him how much they have enjoyed watching him etc. I hope parents of future wrestlers see Friday night as I do. A total lack of respect and class and not something I would want my kid to be around. It was classless and a totally unnecessary act--pre-match and during the introductions. I have actually never seen or heard of a venue doing that in the past to anyone. I don't think Spencer has played a villain during his college years to earn that type of disdain. It tells me a lot about the current PSU fan base and it's not a good look!
Good gawd, grow a set. I’m sure Spencer gives a rat’s ass.

In other sports, you boo injured athletes while coaches throw themselves to the ground in mocking fashion.

Class personified!

Glass houses Descat

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambertt
Acting decently isn't that hard and it makes things go so much smoother. The match I attended at BJC was a little with all the random kids trying to start the We Are chant. But they're little so I ignore it.
I'm one of those quiet guys at a wrestling match trying to watch every little thing until something happens that's an obvious cheering kind of moment.
I'm not into booing anyone.
Okay? Not sure how it applied to my post replying to Willies though.

I, like @IRONBIRD, have somewhat old school sensibilities when it comes to treatment of and respect for young athletes. Just wouldn't boo them or yell "sucks" after their name is called during introductions. Don't believe my ticket somehow entitles me to be uncivil. But that is just me, and I can only control myself (most of the time).

Maybe the times have passed me by, and I have unrealistic expectations when it comes to civility. The island of University Park and its BJC are now surrounded for miles by xxxxx country. That probably had something to do with the fan behavior.

Again, I only heard boos for Spencer and Nelson during intros. I suspect sour grapes account for the former and the purported scratching and biting against Brooks account for the latter.

Last edited:
Man, I was raised a die hard Hawk and grew up going to duals at Carver, but even I had the life size pic of Carl the Des Moines Register released his senior year on my wall for years.

The entire state of Iowa was behind Carl that season.
I still have the Wheaties box with him on it in my weight room.

Reactions: el dub
I must add, I did stand and give Steveson a standing O, video for reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpat
If that was aimed at me I'd like to know something. You went, did you think the wrestlers we're encouraged to let it fly by the crowd during their matches? Did you want to whoop and Hollar but were held back due to peer pressure? Boisterous no, supportive yes.
Lol I’m guessing the
I can’t believe this thread has gone as far as it has. This is big boy sports. Embrace the boos. I think I’m going to boo every opposing wrestler at the next home dual just for the fun of it. Especially Oklahoma ST.
I’ve really enjoyed heckling Okie St in Carver in the past.

Reactions: mcpat
Really? I wouldn’t say he is modest, but that’s an opinion. No one at CHA gave Bo, Ruth, Zain or Nolf an ovation. They all also were three time champs- which to this point, is all Spencer is.
I don’t give two shits whether Spencer gets an applause from PSU fans or not but Carver did give a nice applause to Nolf and Zain for sure. Don’t remember the others.

PSU fans booing Spencer? What a bunch of pussies. Opposing teams leave Carver awe inspired saying they know what the Roman Colosseum must have felt like. That’s the difference between Iowa and Steinbrenners Penn State Yankees Boo-babies.

Last edited:
You should ask JRod, Madden or JS or even NashvilleHawkeye why they like posting over on our board. Get your answer from one of your own. And get it from those that are way more respected than yourself.
The secret is to not take everything so seriously. I like to talk wrestling with both fan bases. I post more on BWI because more people there will engage about wrestling topics that interest me. We disagree a lot and there are some huge tools over there as well. However the majority of posters on both boards seem to be fairly level headed. If someone annoys you so much you can’t take it, there is always the ignore button. I grew up in an era where you could talk shit to each other without getting so offended that you lose your mind. This is entertainment for me. At the end of the day, none of us can control the outcome of what happens on the mat. Penn St has bragging rights until we can beat them again. Making accusations about cheating and steroid use just make us look like sore losers IMO. I will continue to cheer on the Hawks every year and am always hopeful we will come out on top. However the proof is in the results. Penn St has owned us and everyone else for most of the last 12+ years. Can’t wait until we can consistently be on top again

Opposing teams leave Carver awe inspired saying they know what the Roman Colosseum must have felt like.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: LIV4GOD and mcpat
I don’t give two shits whether Spencer gets an applause from PSU fans or not but Carver did give a nice applause to Nolf and Zain for sure. Don’t remember the others.

Come on now, don’t be so modest. One of the biggest cheers I’ve heard at Carver was when Bo pinned Sammy Brooks in a spladle. Talk about Hawkeye hospitality!

Shoots I’ve been making this joke for years but the sad thing is it really isn’t a joke.

85% of that crowd didn’t have a clue what they were watching or yelling at, and the officials still let them dictate calls.
Probably true… PA produces the best high school talent anywhere, and has tremendous fan support for HS matches. But when these same fans attend a college match, all of their knowledge disappears. Totally makes sense

I Want To Die Kill Me GIF by SWR3

Probably true… PA produces the best high school talent anywhere, and has tremendous fan support for HS matches. But when these same fans attend a college match, all of their knowledge disappears. Totally makes sense
You're assuming it's the same crowd. There are vastly more high school fans for overall attending in PA than at State College. The "Johnny-come-lately"s are certainly in force at these meets. It would not surprise me if most of those imbeciles never even attend a high school meet.

I Want To Die Kill Me GIF by SWR3
I will need you to show your math work for your equation Fans at HS meets = Same fans at College meet. Also, validate your assumption that Fans = Knowlegeable fans. You have 30 minutes to complete your work.

Edit: looks like @LIV4GOD beat me to the question.

I really don't care. If anyone doesn't deserve to be booed it is Lee, but I highly doubt it bothered him. While I don't agree with it, I won't lose sleep over it either. Win number 4 is all that matters at this point to me.
I chatted with Larry Lee at halftime. Very cordial guy. I like him. At the end of our conversation, I asked when they were moving to Central PA.
His reply was.. Never, he hears the boos and that doesn't sit well with him. I saw you standing and clapping for him.

I didn't use quotes, because that is not exactly what was said, but it is very close.

P.S. Real Woods dad is awesome!!! If you have a chance to chat with him, do it!

You're assuming it's the same crowd. There are vastly more high school fans for overall attending in PA than at State College. The "Johnny-come-lately"s are certainly in force at these meets. It would not surprise me if most of those imbeciles never even attend a high school meet.
The fact that you needed to type this out and post it says everything about whoever you were addressing. What a completely delusional thought.

Reactions: Grip220 and LIV4GOD
ADVERTISEMENT