ADVERTISEMENT

Tea leaves say Teske to PSU

Just looked at the PSU roster and only counted 6 out of state guys (Berge, Hall, Lee, Manville, Nevillis, Nickal) that I would say would get full rides at tier 2 schools. I think the offers between IA, PSU, OSU, tOSU, etc. are close to the same amount with coaches trying to save percentages here at there.

Of those 6 guys Hall and Manville have never lived at home, Lee moved to State College in high school. Money is not likely a factor for those guys. Berge, Nevillis and Nickal are blue chippers and for the most part are only going to look at a handful of schools. At the end of the day while it sounds crazy 100-150k isn't going to be a deciding factor for a good number of blue chip recruits.
And Manville is on a ROTC scholarship.

Please show my quote where I said I've done the math. You're making shit up.
The math just does not seem to add up in terms of the number of out of state kids attending PSU for less than a full-ride when they could receive a full-ride at dozens of other schools.
How could the math not add up if you have not done the math? You should say I have no idea if the math adds up. Because you don't.

The math just does not seem to add up in terms of the number of out of state kids attending PSU for less than a full-ride when they could receive a full-ride at dozens of other schools.
How could the math not add up if you have not done the math? You should say I have no idea if the math adds up. Because you don't.

Too-Literal.png

Is English not your first language? That's a commonly used idiom.

Here's a post by MVPFAN that gives an example of what I mean when I say the math doesn't add up.

"Current rosters overall ranking: 2017/2018
PSU 9 top 10 kids and 10 top 20 kids. An average of #16 ranking overall.
FOSU 6 top 10 kids and 9 top 20 kids. #18 average overall.
Iowa 4 top 10 and 5 top 20. #37 avg.

Removing the Sr this year and adding the incoming commits: 2018/2019

PSU- 13 top 10 kids and 15 top 20. # 11 avg. Teske would drag them down to #12.
Fosu- 4 top 10 and 9 top 20. #23 avg. If they get Car then 5 top ten and 10 top 20 and #22 avg.
Iowa- 4 top 10 and 5 top 20. #36 avg."

Ok, you explain to me how this math will work next season:

Berge MN #6, Lee IN #9, Cortez ILL(transfer), Hall #1 MN, Nevills #5 CA, Manville #10 VA, Nickal #7 TEX, #5 Wittlake OR, Bravo-Young #7 AZ, S. Nevills #11 CA, Joe Lee #13 IN and possibly now Teske #27 IOWA.

That doesn't even include the IN State money that absolutely has to be tied up in Nolf and Joseph along with Teasedale, Beard and possibly Verkleeren.

Plus, remember that the only money that frees up after this season will be Retherford and whatever they are giving McCutcheon.

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
Is English not your first language? That's a commonly used idiom.

Here's a post by MVPFAN that gives an example of what I mean when I say the math doesn't add up.

"Current rosters overall ranking: 2017/2018
PSU 9 top 10 kids and 10 top 20 kids. An average of #16 ranking overall.
FOSU 6 top 10 kids and 9 top 20 kids. #18 average overall.
Iowa 4 top 10 and 5 top 20. #37 avg.

Removing the Sr this year and adding the incoming commits: 2018/2019

PSU- 13 top 10 kids and 15 top 20. # 11 avg. Teske would drag them down to #12.
Fosu- 4 top 10 and 9 top 20. #23 avg. If they get Car then 5 top ten and 10 top 20 and #22 avg.
Iowa- 4 top 10 and 5 top 20. #36 avg."
Okay. Let's play. How many are on full ride? How many partial? How much of a partial? MVP Hawk shows nothing in relation to your scholarship witch hunt.It just shows some random rankings.You clearly said the math doesn't add up in relation to scholly $$$. No one is saying that PSU is not getting top notch recruits. You are implying something illicit is going on.

Okay. Let's play. How many are on full ride? How many partial? How much of a partial? MVP Hawk shows nothing in relation to your scholarship witch hunt.It just shows some random rankings.You clearly said the math doesn't add up in relation to scholly $$$. No one is saying that PSU is not getting top notch recruits. You are implying something illicit is going on.

We don't need to have specific sholarship #'s to make the exact point that was made. Having 17 kids on the roster that would definitely warrant full rides from many schools(4 of which are NCAA Champs with another being a high end AA) makes the math hard to add up for ANYONE!

Berge MN #6, Lee IN #9, Cortez ILL(transfer), Hall #1 MN, Nevills #5 CA, Manville #10 VA, Nickal #7 TEX, #5 Wittlake OR, Bravo-Young #7 AZ, S. Nevills #11 CA, Joe Lee #13 IN and possibly now Teske #27 IOWA.

That doesn't even include the IN State money that absolutely has to be tied up in Nolf and Joseph along with Teasedale, Beard and possibly Verkleeren.

Plus, remember that the only money that frees up after this season will be Retherford and whatever they are giving McCutcheon.
What is your question? There are 30 plus kids on the team. Some get partials and some don't. That is the math. Those that don't get a full ride find other ways to finance their education like any other student As I said Winners like to win.
And of the 17 wrestlers which ones are you accusing of violating NCAA rules?
BzIEnm6CQAA9q-9.png:large

Last edited:

To be fair, he clearly said "it seems like the math doesn't add up", which is completely different than saying the math doesn't add up. Is that you, Johnstown?

McCutcheon is playing baseball also. Dear lord is he gettin a full ride to play baseball this year and costing the wrestling nothing towards the 9.9?

To be fair, he clearly said "it seems like the math doesn't add up", which is completely different than saying the math doesn't add up. Is that you, Johnstown?
Correct. Which is why he should have said I have no idea if the math adds up. Math is not speculation.

The more I think about this the more I think kids are just choosing to pay or take loans to attend PSU in the hopes it pays off in the end. Winning will get them club money as it has for years at Iowa.

I would guess the higher ups at the HWC have taken notice of that....hence they have stepped up their game. Just my two cents.

Correct. Which is why he should have said I have no idea if the math adds up. Math is not speculation.

You are a dense.

PSU- 13 top 10 kids and 15 top 20.

That's what I mean when I say the math doesn't add up. All of those kids could have full-rides at a large number of schools.

The more I think about this the more I think kids are just choosing to pay or take loans to attend PSU in the hopes it pays off in the end. Winning will get them club money as it has for years at Iowa.

I would guess the higher ups at the HWC have taken notice of that....hence they have stepped up their game. Just my two cents.

So parents and kids are choosing debt first with the hopes of having it paid off in the future vs. having no debt immediately? Public education at its finest.

Reactions: 10ACHAWK
So parents and kids are choosing debt first with the hopes of having it paid off in the future vs. having no debt immediately? Public education at its finest.
You seem to forget that besides a chance to be on a national champion team they also get a degree from a pretty good university. Thousands pay every year for those degrees. Some with partial scholarships and some with student loans.

What is your question? There are 30 plus kids on the team. Some get partials and some don't. That is the math. Those that don't get a full ride find other ways to finance their education like any other student As I said Winners like to win.
And of the 17 wrestlers which ones are you accusing of violating NCAA rules?

You are arguing the exact same way those believing OJ was innocent did. If the gloves don't fit you must acquit. Forget the fact that school costs upwards of $200,000.00 and there are only 9.9 scholarships to go around.................

Also, I never said he was violating rules. Now stretching them on the other hand............

You seem to forget that besides a chance to be on a national champion team they also get a degree from a pretty good university. Thousands pay every year for those degrees. Some with partial scholarships and some with student loans.

That's irrelevant. These wrestlers could get full rides to Northwestern, OSU, Michigan, Cornell, etc.

And the kids who you are talking about who pay thousands to get degrees with loans, typically don't have the option of receiving a full ride athletic scholarship.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

You are arguing the exact same way those believing OJ was innocent did. If the gloves don't fit you must acquit. Forget the fact that school costs upwards of $200,000.00 and there are only 9.9 scholarships to go around.................

Also, I never said he was violating rules. Now stretching them on the other hand............
I ask again. Which one of the 17 are you accusing of violating NCAA rules? Okay not violating. Who is stretching?

Last edited:
Reactions: D3wrestler
That's irrelevant. These wrestlers could get full rides to Northwestern, OSU, Michigan, Cornell, etc.

And the kids who you are talking about who pay thousands to get degrees with loans, typically don't have the option of receiving a full ride athletic scholarship.

Maybe they just want to:

:
images

Maybe they just want to:

:
images

Yeah that absolutely could be the case. Just seems crazy to me how many top p4p wrestlers would be ok with wrestling for a discount. Not even professional athletes do that typically and they're making millions.

Reactions: Huck

Did you go to the cheapest college you could find? Or did you choose one that met your needs and desires? Really, they are making choices that meet their needs and desires. Money is not the driving force for these elite athletes.

Reactions: Jaybird319
Yeah that absolutely could be the case. Just seems crazy to me how many top p4p wrestlers would be ok with wrestling for a discount. Not even professional athletes do that typically and they're making millions.
Statistics are like loose women... get your hands on them and you can do anything you want with them. Although I agree with vodka.

As as teacher and coach of mine used to say, "there's something rotten in Denmark, and it ain't the cheese". When something seems too good to be true, like a dozen or more top p4p kids all being willing to take less to attend one school, it probably is. The real problem is the ncaa oversight of things like post grad wrestling club income etc... is murky at best. PSU found a solid loophole and they're exploiting it. Others will either start to copy or the ncaa will shut it down. Good for Cael and co for working this angle I guess. Need TnT (or maybe Perry) to start doing the same.

As as teacher and coach of mine used to say, "there's something rotten in Denmark, and it ain't the cheese". When something seems too good to be true, like a dozen or more top p4p kids all being willing to take less to attend one school, it probably is. The real problem is the ncaa oversight of things like post grad wrestling club income etc... is murky at best. PSU found a solid loophole and they're exploiting it. Others will either start to copy or the ncaa will shut it down. Good for Cael and co for working this angle I guess. Need TnT (or maybe Perry) to start doing the same.

If it is indeed true, then like any bureaucracy, the NCAA would likely shut down the clubs if one of them were caught doing this stuff because it would be the simplest answer to the problem. I hope it isn't because the value RTCs bring to wrestling are immeasurable when it comes to producing World/Olympic wrestlers for us.

I used to be on the kids go where they want train and are willing to pay the money but after this class, I'm not so sure.

Did you go to the cheapest college you could find? Or did you choose one that met your needs and desires? Really, they are making choices that meet their needs and desires. Money is not the driving force for these elite athletes.

I went to the cheapest University that allowed me to graduate with no debt so yes.

People are going to want to believe what they want and look hard for excuses.

MSU158 - kind of surprised at some statements of yours, however, since you seem to be one of those guys who is on multiple boards and reads a lot of stuff about wrestling.

1) If you use what Nick Nevills stated publicly as factual, PSU offers 60% for a top five in class out of state recruit. Not sure why anyone on here would have better info than him about what he is receiving. Using this as a barometer, PSU would be able to roster 16 top 5 in class out of state wrestlers at a time and still have change left over. Obviously this is not the same for everybody on the roster, but this is an actual known fact about a scholarship - taken right out of the horses mouth - rather than conjecture.

2) The fact that some people don't recognize that many people forgo the most economical option when pursuing their educations, especially highly motivated people with exceptional goals reminds me of the fact that I expressed in opening this post.

If Iowa somehow turns the tables and starts peeling off championships in five years or so, I'm quite sure there will be a small but loud faction on BWI wondering aloud what rules they are bending or breaking to do it. Better yet, if tOSU keeps it up and eclipses PSU in the next couple of years, the musings on scholarships and extra benefits on BWI and the HR will reach epic proportions.

Fellas, you aren't going to get WW to agree. Plain & simple. It is happening. Plain & simple. People know. It amounts to a hand shake deal. They are post grads, so the NCAA is no longer their governing body. Others are bound to follow suit. Problem is there are some coaches that won't follow suit because they want university & athletic department ok & the powers that be can't read in black & white that it is 100% ok with the NCAA, so they don't allow. Thus they are falling further behind. Coaches that are willing to be "ambiguous", or "rationalize" are gaining a competitive advantage.

FWIW, if it were up to me I'd follow suit if I were TnT, but that isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

This is hard for some to grasp.

It seems crazy to think that the top p4p would wrestle for a discount but only a handful of schools have proven the ability to get the kids to the next level. The coaching staffs at these schools know it and are most likely making the same kinds of offers to the top kids.

Let's be honest, it's PSU, Ohio State, Iowa, Oklahoma State and everyone else. Throw in Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska for fun and then go through each recruit and see what schools are eliminated based on who they have. Left Cornell out since they don't offer scholarships.

Carl - Nevillis I'll give you 50% to come to PSU. tOSU = Has Singletary, Iowa might be interested, OSU has Ethan Anderson, Michigan has Coon, Minnesota has Stevenson, Nebraska maybe.

Nevillis - 50% will work.

Carl - Nick Lee I'll give you 50% to PSU. tOSU no, Iowa maybe, OSU no, Michigan no, Minnesota maybe, Nebraska no.

Lee - 50% is perfect, mind if I come a year early to reduce the cost.

Reactions: WexfordWarrior
This is hard for some to grasp.

It seems crazy to think that the top p4p would wrestle for a discount but only a handful of schools have proven the ability to get the kids to the next level. The coaching staffs at these schools know it and are most likely making the same kinds of offers to the top kids.

Let's be honest, it's PSU, Ohio State, Iowa, Oklahoma State and everyone else. Throw in Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska for fun and then go through each recruit and see what schools are eliminated based on who they have. Left Cornell out since they don't offer scholarships.

Carl - Nevillis I'll give you 50% to come to PSU. tOSU = Has Singletary, Iowa might be interested, OSU has Ethan Anderson, Michigan has Coon, Minnesota has Stevenson, Nebraska maybe.

Nevillis - 50% will work.

Carl - Nick Lee I'll give you 50% to PSU. tOSU no, Iowa maybe, OSU no, Michigan no, Minnesota maybe, Nebraska no.

Lee - 50% is perfect, mind if I come a year early to reduce the cost.
Ask Mark Hall what he was promised and what he actually received.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT