ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC?

You think Kevin Warren would make the final decision on which universities join the Big Ten?
OGC.ed522ca06185e41beba4e428a87fba6b
It would be the Presidents like what happened with Covid.

As to what will happen for ISU, I think people are completely jumping the gun on the Big 10 or PAC 12 adding teams. What is the incentive? People seem to be assuming that KU would go to the Big 10 as they are an AAU member and they have great basketball. But that is flat out the worst football program of the modern era. It's worse than ISU in the 80s and 90s. If the SEC adds UT and OU, and the Big 10's response is adding KU... well that math don't add up no matter how good basketball is.

Why would the PAC12 have to add midwestern teams especially without especially KU? TT is in Texas, but they are so remote to the other parts of Texas it's not like it's a big TV market or anything. The distance from Lubbock to Austin is basically the distance from Ames to Chicago. It's massive. The PAC isn't adding TCU or Baylor so forget about that. Are they going to be in a big rush to add OSU, KSU, and ISU? Probably not.

I know there are people that will love to piss on ISU's grave here, but a alot of people are going to lose their jobs not just in Ames. ISU is like most Big 12 teams as well, with debt up to their eyeballs to keep up with the facilities arms race - in the AAC they won't be able to pay those debt obligations. I mean that just seems like a fact.
It's going to be crazy to see for sure. Honestly, the Pac12 jumping in here and trying to solidify some southern exposure, makes a ton of sense. They have fallen behind since the last movement, and they have to see this as their only chance to even things out. I could see them adding TCU and Baylor for sure, but also OSU and KU. Pac 12 seems to favor bball more than football anyways. KSU, ISU, WVU and Texas Tech seem to be in worst situations. I could see WVU running to the ACC.
If the Big10 wants to do anything, they should try to get one of Pitt, VA, UNC, or even OSU or KSU. ISU definitely looks like the odd man out here.

I think you all assume OU and UT to the SEC is a done deal. I just see this as those schools opening their recruitment.

I still say getting OU is the play with KU as the kicker. Maintains balance between the BIG and SEC.

You think the bottom half of the SEC sees adding OU and UT as a good thing? Especially in the already brutal SEC West? What do the Mississippi schools think if this? Or even LSU?

This is my opinion too.....OU and UT are just out there now saying they are taking phone calls. If I'm the Big Ten, I reach out to these two and gauge their interest. If they decline and commit to the SEC, then I think you reach out to Notre Dame and possibly Kansas. Outside of those four schools (unless you could poach a top ACC team), I don't really see any reason for the Big Ten to expand. No one else adds a ton of value.

There's no upside for the B1G to even look at ISmoo. The state of IOWA is not a big TV market and they already have that footprint with IOWA. The conference would gain nothing.

College football as we know it (along with many other things) is about to change. Much as we despise the NCAA for it's screw ups, without some unifying body it's gonna be a cluster f***. Power conference alignment will have to be managed by somebody other than the schools with the most money.

If you get all the P5 commissioners together, who's going to want to give up a team? (there are currently 65 teams in the P5). What about the independents like Notre Dame, BYU...?

Will the smaller schools fight for a more comprehensive plan (I've seen a 120 team example) I could see them taking it to court to prevent the P5 teams from taking over. The line has to be drawn somewhere...somebody will be left out.

It's gonna get interesting

Reactions: Hkfan23
It's going to be crazy to see for sure. Honestly, the Pac12 jumping in here and trying to solidify some southern exposure, makes a ton of sense. They have fallen behind since the last movement, and they have to see this as their only chance to even things out. I could see them adding TCU and Baylor for sure, but also OSU and KU. Pac 12 seems to favor bball more than football anyways. KSU, ISU, WVU and Texas Tech seem to be in worst situations. I could see WVU running to the ACC.
If the Big10 wants to do anything, they should try to get one of Pitt, VA, UNC, or even OSU or KSU. ISU definitely looks like the odd man out here.

I think all of these things might be possible I think you're off here.

1. The PAC 12 is not adding religious institutions. Houston would be added before TCU or BU.

2. ACC isn't going anywhere, and their grant of rights goes to 2035, so nobody is leaving that conference until my kids are out of high school.

3. ND has legally agreed with the ACC that if they join a conference it will be with them.

4. OSU, KSU, ISU, TT, BU, TCU, WVU, etc. all don't bring more to a conference than they would take from a media rights perspective.

5. Only ISU and KU are the remaining AAU members in the Big 12, and I don't think the PAC-12 or Big 10 would add a member that isn't in the AAU. I also don't think either would add ISU, KU does have the basketball pedigree but we've seen that really doesn't matter.

Reactions: Big Hawk D-Port
There's no upside for the B1G to even look at ISmoo. The state of IOWA is not a big TV market and they already have that footprint with IOWA. The conference would gain nothing.

College football as we know it (along with many other things) is about to change. Much as we despise the NCAA for it's screw ups, without some unifying body it's gonna be a cluster f***. Power conference alignment will have to be managed by somebody other than the schools with the most money.

If you get all the P5 commissioners together, who's going to want to give up a team? (there are currently 65 teams in the P5). What about the independents like Notre Dame, BYU...?

Will the smaller schools fight for a more comprehensive plan (I've seen a 120 team example) I could see them taking it to court to prevent the P5 teams from taking over. The line has to be drawn somewhere...somebody will be left out.

It's gonna get interesting
The powerful schools understand that they are the entities with value and the smaller schools are just draining money.

1. The PAC 12 is not adding religious institutions. Houston would be added before TCU or BU.

2. ACC isn't going anywhere, and their grant of rights goes to 2035, so nobody is leaving that conference until my kids are out of high school.

3. ND has legally agreed with the ACC that if they join a conference it will be with them.

4. OSU, KSU, ISU, TT, BU, TCU, WVU, etc. all don't bring more to a conference than they would take from a media rights perspective.

5. Only ISU and KU are the remaining AAU members in the Big 12, and I don't think the PAC-12 or Big 10 would add a member that isn't in the AAU. I also don't think either would add ISU, KU does have the basketball pedigree but we've seen that really doesn't matter.
I’ve read the same thing about the ACC and their GOR, but that doesn’t seem to be stopping Texas and Oklahoma at all. I guess theoretically those two schools can play in the Big12 for 4 more years after they’ve already made it clear they will be leaving but I’m assuming they intend to leave before then and just have their lawyers find them an out.

The way things are going I think the Big10 probably does nothing until they can get a really big brand, which might not be for another 10 years, if ever. There was enough grumbling when they added Maryland and Rutgers and those two were thought to add really big media markets to the footprint. I know with cord cutting the cable landscape is changing so maybe they aren’t as valuable today but from an NIL perspective maybe it’s still a big deal to have that corridor from NYC down to DC in the Big10 footprint.

I think it’s more likely the Pac12 adds teams in the near future. They have been struggling financially and I think would be anxious to make a change. I think getting into the Texas market would be big for them and maybe at some point that overcomes the fact that it would be a bit of a culture clash to have TCU and OSU mixed with the west coast schools. They obviously were willing to do it before when they nearly formed the Pac16 back in 2011. And it wouldn’t surprise me if ISU gets added along with that just to make the numbers work. I don’t think they were excited about adding Utah really either but they needed an even number and there weren’t other good options at the time.

But if the Big10 wanted to add teams just because they sort of made sense from an academic and geographic perspective then they would have added Pitt and Missouri a long time ago.

Reactions: hawkrye

You underestimate KU's basketball draw. One of only a few schools in the country that moves the needle money wise with basketball. BTN is highly dependent on their basketball content. KU has the second largest third tier grant of rights in the Big 12, only behind the Long Horn Network.

There's ZERO chance B1G adds ISU. I'm not sure the PAC12 would be interested in them either, considering the time difference, relatively small fanbase, lack of historical success in football (when Campbell leaves, they are back to being a bottom feeder), etc. This is a nightmare scenario for Pollard.

There's ZERO chance B1G adds ISU. I'm not sure the PAC12 would be interested in them either, considering the time difference, relatively small fanbase, lack of historical success in football (when Campbell leaves, they are back to being a bottom feeder), etc. This is a nightmare scenario for Pollard.
I think ISU vs Northern Illinois has potential to be a good rivalry.

Where it gets tricky for ISU is in some of the minor sports. Do other conferences want a program without baseball and an underachieving wrestling program?

I think ISU vs Northern Illinois has potential to be a good rivalry.

Where it gets tricky for ISU is in some of the minor sports. Do other conferences want a program without baseball and an underachieving wrestling program?
That's another reason. Best case scenario for the clones is somehow the Big12 soldiers on by adding some fringe schools. There is a very good chance they are playing in the Mountain West five years from now.

I’ve read the same thing about the ACC and their GOR, but that doesn’t seem to be stopping Texas and Oklahoma at all.

Two things:

1. The ACC GOR goes to 2035. The Big 12's is just 2025.

2. If the ACC loses some teams, well they already have 14 members. If they lose two the conference is still going to exist. So, the leaving teams would still be on the hook for the TV rights for 14 more years.

If UT and OU are leaving the Big 12, everybody will be dying to get on the first ship out of town. If KU goes to the Big 10 or something, then you're down to 7 teams. That's not even a conference at that point and it dies on the vine with no skin off OU and UT's teeth.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
If this was ever going to happen, now is ideal for ISU because they at least have some national recognition going on right now. 4 years ago them falling by the wayside was almost a dead certainty from a P5 perspective. Right now the media is buying into their program, so they can try to leverage that. They better not eff up this fall or the momentum they have now will stall.

The pressure on their football team this fall was already huge but now it's enormous.

If this was ever going to happen, now is ideal for ISU because they at least have some national recognition going on right now. 4 years ago them falling by the wayside was almost a dead certainty from a P5 perspective. Right now the media is buying into their program, so they can try to leverage that. They better not eff up this fall or the momentum they have now will stall.

The pressure on their football team this fall was already huge but now it's enormous.
That cuts both ways though. I have to imagine Campbell is not interested in staying at ISU for the long haul. The crumbling of the Big12 may be the last push for him to walk out the door.

Like I said before, this is a nightmare situation for Pollard. Do you think Oregon is interested in flying across the country to play in Ames? Do you think UCLA wants to play the clones in the snow? KSU and ISU fans should be VERY concerned about the future of their sports programs.

Two things:

1. The ACC GOR goes to 2035. The Big 12's is just 2025.

2. If the ACC loses some teams, well they already have 14 members. If they lose two the conference is still going to exist. So, the leaving teams would still be on the hook for the TV rights for 14 more years.

If UT and OU are leaving the Big 12, everybody will be dying to get on the first ship out of town. If KU goes to the Big 10 or something, then you're down to 7 teams. That's not even a conference at that point and it dies on the vine with no skin off OU and UT's teeth.

Contracts are made to be broken (or so it's said). I'm sure major shifts in the landscape will make for changes in current agreements.

Reactions: timinatoria
It’s absolutely great seeing a bunch of schmucks who constantly trash the big ten all of a sudden begging to be taken by them (again), which of course will never happen.

They’re going to be so financially screwed if this all goes down

A frankenstein B12 is ISU's only real option. B1G and P12 aren't adding them.

ISU Fans yesterday morning: The Big Ten West is garbage and we don't want in there.

ISU Fans last night: Hopefully the Big Ten will take us!!!!!

This appears to be going down. Totally a nightmare scenario for ISU. Not just football, this is all sports. I am curious how long it takes for their recruiting class to fall apart, which for them was probably their best start to a class ever. Kids aren't going to jump into a situation where its unknown if the school will remain in a P5 league. No way.

Texas sucks in the B12. Now they want to go up against LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida?
Texas won't join the SEC with any intention of being a perennial doormat. A&M was 'meh' in the B12 and has certainly enhanced its profile by being competitive in a loaded West.

Texas has the expectation that any conference it joins, it should compete for the conference title in any given year. They have been underwhelming for the past decade, but the expectation is still there. They have resources and advantages that even Alabama would love to have, but underachieve because they have lost a lot of ground to A&M since the Ags joined the SEC, plus Oklahoma is the premier program in the B12 and not UT even though they need Texas to remain strong. OU may actually benefit more because they've always had success recruiting Texas, and now they get to make multiple trips throughout the fertile Deep South and can reap the benefits of LA, GA, and FL. OU won't have much trouble transitioning.

Texas is holding Texas back. They have the goods to be on the level of OSU, Clemson, and Bama. They are similar to Georgia where they have literally everything a coach could ever want or need to win championships. It's their dedication to winning that can be questioned because they aren't making elite hires. The Horns have dipped into the G5 ranks twice with Charlie Strong and Tom Hermann and neither met expectations. They have gotten exactly what they deserved - there are some really good coaches that just aren't cut out for premier gigs, and are better off being a P5 coordinator or a G5 head coach. Nothing wrong with that. But as they say, everything is bigger in Texas. They need to make a big hire and stop pussyfooting around and hoping that they get their Jim Tressel. They need to pony up and get Dabo or Bobby Stoops (heck even Mark Stoops would be an upgrade).

Reactions: bowlhawk
I think PAC 12 would have interest in some big 12 teams. Hell they are kicking off games at 9am for TV. I bet they would like some central time zone teams.

not sure ISU is what they would want but this might be the last best chance for the PAC 12 to expand with non WAC type schools.

The B1G needs to seriously reconsider their stance on AAU members. Nebraska may have inadvertently helped their cause in the matter. OU and UT going to the SEC is a giant domino and if the conference isn't careful, it could get left behind.
I would not be surprised if the ACC tries to recruit some big 10 teams. The Big Ten money is good right now but the future landscape is changing. Plus do not underestimate how much the ACC hates the Big Ten.

We might not like to hear it but Ohio state, Michigan, and Penn State carry a lot of water for the rest of the teams in our conference.

• Haha
Reactions: timinatoria
Just thinking out loud but this really validates why Nebraska left the Big12 when they did. I mean, it’s pretty clear at this point that Texas was not a good partner and the Big12 was always going to be a bit unstable as a result.

I think OU would have stayed in the Big12, they were obviously doing well there, but now with Texas leaving I think OU looks at it like a 9 team conference with all of the neighboring blue bloods in the SEC was not a good situation. I imagine there has been a lot of negative recruiting from the SEC telling recruits that playing in the Big12 is lame compared to the SEC and that would only get worse.

What will be interesting is if the SEC either doesn't approve, or only approves one of the two. Would they come knocking on the B1G's door if that happened? Now that pandora's box is open, it would be hard for them to say "nevermind, we'll stay in the B12"....

Probably a Little 8 type of feel
They would certainly thrive in a smaller conference setting.

However, as for Oklahoma and Texas, while I know there's still some higher-ups who still have ideas for super conferences......they're gonna be in for a rude awakening if they think a move like that will be met with unanimous open arms.

If I'm any of the smaller programs, I'm bolting as soon as they sign the paperwork and looking to form a new conference with similar programs to drastically improve our odds of not only winning a conference title, but reaching the CFP when it goes to 12 teams.

That's how programs will be able to game the system. You can't do that with super-conferences.

What will be interesting is if the SEC either doesn't approve, or only approves one of the two. Would they come knocking on the B1G's door if that happened? Now that pandora's box is open, it would be hard for them to say "nevermind, we'll stay in the B12"....
The Big 12 can still save face by actually trying to add two teams and, ya know......be a 12-team conference.

If the news has come this far, the votes are already there and UT and OU will have no problem sliding into the SEC.

State legislatures are about the only thing that could stop it at this point.

The Big 12 can still save face by actually trying to add two teams and, ya know......be a 12-team conference.

I always felt like they should've tried harder to do that after they got TCU and WVU. Try to add 2 more schools years later it would only strengthen and solidify the conference even more after almost falling apart a decade ago. There were the rumors not too long ago about the addition of some schools like Houston, UCF and SMU thrown out there. Wonder if they would still try and get teams like those 3 or other AAC schools like Cincinnati? But then again those schools know they got some stability with conference they are in now and with potential of expanding the football playoffs there isn't as much allure to going to the Big 12 to help them with football.

Teams I'd like to see Big 10 go after if they expand by 2 more would be Kansas, Okie St, K-State or WVU who could be a sleeper fit with us getting more East Coast schools these last few years.

I would not be surprised if the ACC tries to recruit some big 10 teams. The Big Ten money is good right now but the future landscape is changing. Plus do not underestimate how much the ACC hates the Big Ten.

We might not like to hear it but Ohio state, Michigan, and Penn State carry a lot of water for the rest of the teams in our conference.
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT