ADVERTISEMENT

thank you Fran

d7d

Meh, it's a victim-less crime. Pay the players what they're worth. There's no integrity in college basketball when coaches are making $3 million a year and athletic departments are raking in ten of millions of dollars in TV contracts off the backs of these student-athletes. Obviously, these players can earn more in an open market.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
Meh, it's a victim-less crime. Pay the players what they're worth. There's no integrity in college basketball when coaches are making $3 million a year and athletic departments are raking in ten of millions of dollars in TV contracts off the backs of these student-athletes. Obviously, these players can earn more in an open market.

I agree with your reasoning but rules are rules. I guess we should be amazed that Iowa has been able to compete at all considering what they've been up against. It also explains why teams like Illinois haven't been able to bounce back.

Reactions: perryhawk
Fran may not be the best coach in the BIG, but he tries to recruit solid citizens and good students for the most part.

So do Beilein and Painter and Gard and Chambers and Holtmann and most of the other coaches in the league. Running a program within the rules is the absolute floor of expectations. To thank a coach for doing the minimum of what the job requires is stretching the idea of gratitude, in my opinion.

That’s like thanking someone for not being a felon.

So do Beilein and Painter and Gard and Chambers and Holtmann and most of the other coaches in the league. Running a program within the rules is the absolute floor of expectations. To thank a coach for doing the minimum of what the job requires is stretching the idea of gratitude, in my opinion.

That’s like thanking someone for not being a felon.
So they try and hold students to the good conduct policy, shouldn't coaching contracts also have this good conduct stuff in their contracts. If so, can they be fired? I know the contracts are written in favor of the coaches and universities struggle (at least Barta would) to balance this. In the real world, ie outside of athletics, breaking the rules would cost you a job.

So they try and hold students to the good conduct policy, shouldn't coaching contracts also have this good conduct stuff in their contracts. If so, can they be fired? I know the contracts are written in favor of the coaches and universities struggle (at least Barta would) to balance this. In the real world, ie outside of athletics, breaking the rules would cost you a job.

They do. It is worded in a way that a school can fire the coach without having to pay them their buyout.

They do get paid. Maybe they are worth more on the ipen market but not to play college ball. Let them go pro take their lumps, get cut, fired etc. In college they get a free degree , paid under the table and protection from the NCAA.
They have a cherry job set up.

I think it makes what the Hawk team, from a couple years ago that lost to future champ Villanova, but was ranked 3rd in the nation at one point, was able to pretty impressive. No easy task to be that competitive when the playing field isn’t level. Props to Fran.

I think it makes what the Hawk team, from a couple years ago that lost to future champ Villanova, but was ranked 3rd in the nation at one point, was able to pretty impressive. No easy task to be that competitive when the playing field isn’t level. Props to Fran.

I can buy into this “props to Fran” idea if you’re also willing to grant super mega major props to Bo Ryan and John Beilein and Matt Painter etc. who have all accomplished significantly more for their respective programs than Fran has at Iowa.

Reactions: JAMAM and hawkhorn
There seems to be two sets of rules in the NCAA today for the major sports.

One set for the Duke/NCs/MSU's in basketball and another set for school like Iowa. You better believe if Iowa was having infractions, they would come down HARD on us to make an example.

Goodbye, Iowa having a chance at being competitive ever again if that happens. We’d not be able to outbid UCLA or any of the other elite programs. I’d rather they went to D league than mess with college sports. The only way to remotely keep it competitive would be to have a flat salary for all players across a given sport.

OP is correct...thanks Fran. We are lucky that Barta convinced you to accept $10 million guaranteed regardless of B-Ball performance or Carver arena attendance. Brilliant strategy to avoid signing star athletes so you don't have to bribe them with shoe contract money.

I can buy into this “props to Fran” idea if you’re also willing to grant super mega major props to Bo Ryan and John Beilein and Matt Painter etc. who have all accomplished significantly more for their respective programs than Fran has at Iowa.
Painter may have accomplished more, but he was 16-18 in his 8th year and 15-17 in his 9th year at Purdue.

According to the accountant it isn't a victimless crime. If the schools pay the men's basketball team, that means that they will be requires to pay the women's team which is a non revenue producing sport. If If that happens there will be a whole lot fewer scholarship athletes at the school as Iowa will drop the sport rathe than run consistently in the red.
So the victims are potentially those that play soccer, run track or cross, swim or do gymnastics. There will be victims and less opportunities for young men and women.

My point is that one of your example coaches had losing seasons in year 8 and year 9 at Purdue. Fran is in year 8 at Iowa. I didn't mean to be cryptic.

Fran also went to a sweet sixteen in year 4 and won a Big Ten Championship in year 5 just like Painter.

Oh wait....

That didn’t happen did it?

And that's why Iowa will never win a national title.

But yeah you fans go ahead and keep meh'ing and then call for the head coach to be fired when he doesn't entertain you enough, after you forget that you didn't care about the hole they're in to begin with.

You people are dam fools if you don't think this exact thing goes on with major programs in football as well.

Meanwhile, we continue to judge our coaching staffs as if they're operating on an even playing field......because we're bitter that they lost.

Deal with it.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I agree with your reasoning but rules are rules. I guess we should be amazed that Iowa has been able to compete at all considering what they've been up against. It also explains why teams like Illinois haven't been able to bounce back.
So your saying no Iowa basketball player ever used pot! Hardly doubt it. Rules are rules. Or are you saying they just have never got caught.

With the new breaking news and the teams mentioned, I want to thank Fran for the program that he runs. It is harder to recruit and win when you follow the rules, but integrity is more important than wins. GO Hawks

Integrity only means so much when you finish dead last in conference, have only two NCAA appearances in nine years, dismal results in the BTT and have never made it past the Rd of 32. I also wish Iowa fans would quit referencing Matt Painters struggles in year 8 and 9 (not the OP but others in this thread) as if they justify what Fran is going through right now. Matt Painter had six NCAA appearances prior to his 16-18 record which included no first round NCAA tourney exits, two trips to the sweet sixteen and tied as the regular season conference champs in 2009/10 and won the BTT in 2008/09 after tying for second during regular season play. Apples and grapefruit ladies and gentlemen, apples and grapefruit. Pretty sad to see Iowa fans trot out the mantra of 'doing it right'...finishing last is NOT doing it right. Plenty of coaches have integrity and produce at the same time.

So your saying no Iowa basketball player ever used pot! Hardly doubt it. Rules are rules. Or are you saying they just have never got caught.

Huh? Since when was this thread about pot?

Sorry, I assumed we were talking about the rules surrounding the news today. I don't have time to write about every possible rules violation that could possibly exist. Figured people would be able to use some common sense. My bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT