ADVERTISEMENT

The finalists for the Illinois HC...

I would not want M* to go but let’s play it out. DS to Illinois, M* to UNI. We need a guy in that can hustle and sell but also compliments the staff in that he is relatable to the younger gen. In no particular order:

Reese Humphrey
Jordan Oliver
Nolf
Ramos (Yea I said it)

Just a few names. Cox is still a young guy and will probably go until the next cycle is done. This would be my concern with Nolf as well. So much depends on interpersonal skills...this is why M* is so valuable. I just don't know any of these guys personally to say who would be a good recruiter but it would be nice to have someone from the outside on staff.
Having a recruiter from PA isn't as blasphemous as it sounds. Or maybe it is, but it's still not a bad idea. The long-term answer to every question, btw, is Spencer Lee.

Yes. It was a shocker when he kept him on. And he’s still there.
Pugh is one of the most under recognized/under rated assistant coaches in college wrestling. I don’t think he’ll ever be the face of a program but that guy has done unbelievable things with low rated recruits from 165-197. Most recent, Foster, Holschlag, Stiert, Lugan, stiender, Payne, ect... look at the track record the last 20 years. UNI always has a couple solid guys in the 165-197 range.

I would not want M* to go but let’s play it out. DS to Illinois, M* to UNI. We need a guy in that can hustle and sell but also compliments the staff in that he is relatable to the younger gen. In no particular order:

Reese Humphrey
Jordan Oliver
Nolf
Ramos (Yea I said it)

Just a few names. Cox is still a young guy and will probably go until the next cycle is done. This would be my concern with Nolf as well. So much depends on interpersonal skills...this is why M* is so valuable. I just don't know any of these guys personally to say who would be a good recruiter but it would be nice to have someone from the outside
I’d take Oliver from your list, especially if he qualifies the Olympic spot and medals in an extremely tough Olympic weight class. Then again if this happens, a lot of schools will want him.
The best solution for now is keeping M*
Ramos would be a great fit. He’s very upbeat and likable. The problem is other coaches on the recruiting trail will put his temper tantrum video up, and welp, you know the rest. A person can’t overlook the fact that Dan Dennis in now in the room. Too much conflict.
If I am Illinois I might want a guy like Ramos because he’s got a chip on his shoulder against the Hawks.

Last edited:
Reactions: IAChief32
I think Poeta ought to be the man for Illinois, or Branch if not Poeta.
I hope Schwab doesn't go there and we don't have to worry about M* leaving. I think he is more vital for recruiting than many on here give him credit for. That being said, if he were to leave, Humphrey would be a good choice. I'm not crazy about the rest of Chief's list though, for various reasons. Cox would also be great, or Burroughs. While we're fantasizing, Cunningham or Pritzlaff would be my first choices.
One thing for certain though, above all else, Spencer Lee needs to be hired the second they hand him his diploma.

Pugh is one of the most under recognized/under rated assistant coaches in college wrestling. I don’t think he’ll ever be the face of a program but that guy has done unbelievable things with low rated recruits from 165-197. Most recent, Foster, Holschlag, Stiert, Lugan, stiender, Payne, ect... look at the track record the last 20 years. UNI always has a couple solid guys in the 165-197 range.

Let me make it clear that I'm NOT claiming Pugh is a bad assistant coach. However, note that Tolly Thompson was also on staff for a good amount of the 20 year time period in question. This is in no way saying that Thompson should get the credit instead of Pugh, but simply to note another coach may have been a factor for some of the upper weight kids during his time in the program.

If for some reason M* decided to move on..my short list for replacements would include Jon Reader. IMO he is making Bono look good nowadays. Super great guy and a very very underrated recruiter. He could immediately step in with very little adjustment to how M* goes about the position. I think Reader would do very well recruiting nationally wearing an Iowa polo.

Pugh? STOP. Not a chance and shouldn't be. I have no idea how he has kept his job this long.

In my area of the country we are hearing Doug Schwab has been offered the job at Illinois. If he doesn't take it he's crazy IMO. Schwab would practically double his salary, be in the best wrestling conference in the country, and be in one of the best states to recruit from. The budget at Illinois would dwarf that of UNI. They have an active RTC with a really good coach running the program. 100% no brainer, if indeed Doug has been offered the position.

Reactions: el dub
Pugh? STOP. Not a chance and shouldn't be. I have no idea how he has kept his job this long.

In my area of the country we are hearing Doug Schwab has been offered the job at Illinois. If he doesn't take it he's crazy IMO. Schwab would practically double his salary, be in the best wrestling conference in the country, and be in one of the best states to recruit from. The budget at Illinois would dwarf that of UNI. They have an active RTC with a really good coach running the program. 100% no brainer, if indeed Doug has been offered the position.
giphy.gif

These are some really good points but I don't know about "crazy." Illinois is just not positioned to compete with the wrestling blue bloods despite the above. If the expectations are there, then that puts a pressure onto him and his position that are going to be difficult to live up to. He's very, very comfortable at UNI. He's very close to him, the school and fans love him and the expectations are low. He may very well take it for all the reasons you mentioned but this also could be a case where the grass isn't as green as it looks. Especially when it grows over the septic tank at the University of Illinois.

These are some really good points but I don't know about "crazy." Illinois is just not positioned to compete with the wrestling blue bloods despite the above. If the expectations are there, then that puts a pressure onto him and his position that are going to be difficult to live up to. He's very, very comfortable at UNI. He's very close to him, the school and fans love him and the expectations are low. He may very well take it for all the reasons you mentioned but this also could be a case where the grass isn't as green as it looks. Especially when it grows over the septic tank at the University of Illinois.
Heffernan lasted twenty years and was "not great". I doubt the pressure would be a problem. To my thinking, family considerations will be the determining factor. Doug has kids wrestling through the Waverly club, where his brother helps.
Financially it would be a huge step.

Heffernan lasted twenty years and was "not great". I doubt the pressure would be a problem. To my thinking, family considerations will be the determining factor. Doug has kids wrestling through the Waverly club, where his brother helps.
Doug's boys don't wrestle for the Waverly club and aren't coached by his brother.

Reactions: hawkeyejr

This was a fair point.

Sorry then. My mistake. I thought Mike helped out in Waverly.

I would never be associated with a club where he’s involved.

Interesting. Made a good choice I think.

Illinois is a good state to recruit in if you are a program that is appealing to the hot bed areas however U of Illinois does not especially meet that criteria, not a huge loyalty between them and the burbs.

That has to suck for Poeta who did not get it offered to him in the first place. Why interview for a job if you are going to turn it down? Did he hear something in the interview that made him think it ws not a good situation or did UNI step up with more money and resources?
As far as someone saying that there is not a huge loyalty between U of Illinois and the burbs is somewhat true. However, when they had Johnson there, who was dynamic and loved, it was the place to go if you were a stud from Illinois. The right personality would light the state up again -IMHO. Illinois kids want to win Fargo titles and show the country that they have a great wrestling state. Keeping the kids instate is one way to do that. Lets see what the next twist in the Illini coaching job is.

That has to suck for Poeta who did not get it offered to him in the first place. Why interview for a job if you are going to turn it down? Did he hear something in the interview that made him think it ws not a good situation or did UNI step up with more money and resources?
As far as someone saying that there is not a huge loyalty between U of Illinois and the burbs is somewhat true. However, when they had Johnson there, who was dynamic and loved, it was the place to go if you were a stud from Illinois. The right personality would light the state up again -IMHO. Illinois kids want to win Fargo titles and show the country that they have a great wrestling state. Keeping the kids instate is one way to do that. Lets see what the next twist in the Illini coaching job is.
People interview for jobs that they turn down all the time. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Most likely a "leverage" interview. Tells his current employer he is a hot commodity and puts some heat on them to take care of him. It happens a LOT in the bigger money sports!

Not many details in the IAWrestle article.

I was thinking the same thing as MSU. Seems like getting offered a B1G job would be good leverage to ask for a raise.

That has to suck for Poeta who did not get it offered to him in the first place.

Do we know this is true?

Everyone is focusing on Doug using it as leverage. Don't discount the other thing you mentioned, that after a deeper dive and more consideration that he decided it wasn't a good fit for him--personally, professionally, etc.

Reactions: manatree
My latest scoop - from what I consider a pretty reliable source is that Schwab did not even interview. Supposedly the AD had Doug high on his list, but Doug was not interested in the position. Kind of like a Terry Brands/ISU situation. Take it for what it is worth.
Isit possible that someone tweeted something and it was not completely true? Has that ever happened before?

My latest scoop - from what I consider a pretty reliable source is that Schwab did not even interview. Supposedly the AD had Doug high on his list, but Doug was not interested in the position. Kind of like a Terry Brands/ISU situation. Take it for what it is worth.
Isit possible that someone tweeted something and it was not completely true? Has that ever happened before?
It’s possible, but this has been reported by both Willie and IAWrestle. Two reputable wrestling media organizations, although you do have to wonder if they have the same sources.

People interview for jobs that they turn down all the time. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Everyone is focusing on Doug using it as leverage. Don't discount the other thing you mentioned, that after a deeper dive and more consideration that he decided it wasn't a good fit for him--personally, professionally, etc.

The interview process is a two way street. The applicant has to convince the employer that they’re the right one to hire, AND the employer has to convince the applicant that it is the right job.

Did IAWrestle or Willie contact Doug before publishing? Seems like it would have been the responsible thing to do.

Reactions: TtotheL
It’s possible, but this has been reported by both Willie and IAWrestle. Two reputable wrestling media organizations, although you do have to wonder if they have the same sources.

IA Wrestle's source was likely Willie given their current affiliation. But what do I know.

IA Wrestle's source was likely Willie given their current affiliation. But what do I know.
Definitely possible. I’d hope IA Wrestle has their own good sources within the state, but maybe that’s giving them too much credit.

How long as Randy Pugh been on staff there?
Yes. It was a shocker when he kept him on. And he’s still there.
Randy has been on the staff for 20 years. He was the only coach retained when Schwab took over.

Why so shocked? He was an All American at UNI and he is a resident of Cedar Falls. Not to mention his track record with the 184 pounders during his tenure speaks for itself. Doug is no dummy. He saw that and the character that Randy possesses. Very smart move keeping him on because the Panthers have been finishing ahead of the Hawks at NCAA's @ 184 for the last few years.

• Wow
Reactions: Inthecircle
Not many details in the IAWrestle article.

I was thinking the same thing as MSU. Seems like getting offered a B1G job would be good leverage to ask for a raise.
It is when you have done a good enough job to deserve one - has he?

Randy has been on the staff for 20 years. He was the only coach retained when Schwab took over.

Why so shocked? He was an All American at UNI and he is a resident of Cedar Falls. Not to mention his track record with the 184 pounders during his tenure speaks for itself. Doug is no dummy. He saw that and the character that Randy possesses. Very smart move keeping him on because the Panthers have been finishing ahead of the Hawks at NCAA's @ 184 for the last few years.
Yeah I don't get the hate. The dude handles the most successful weights on the team and has consistently taken relatively unheralded recruits to a high level. If anything, he has to be in the convo for one of the most underrated assistants in the country.

Not everyone shares/shared your high opinion of him. It's OK. That's par for the course in the coaching game. Almost no coach is universally well liked. Doug likes him and that's good enough for me.

Definitely possible. I’d hope IA Wrestle has their own good sources within the state, but maybe that’s giving them too much credit.

It is. It's part time awesome and part time clown (not the ISU kind) show. No in between with that group. It would be nice if they behaved like the media they pride themselves to be instead of the glorified fan boys they are (much of the time, anyway).

BTW, I was amused earlier today to be reading this thread, look up from my phone and look directly at Doug Schwab, in the flesh.

It is when you have done a good enough job to deserve one - has he?
Do you think there are many coaches out there that could do better with the 3rd team in Iowa? Remember, the State of Iowa hasn't exactly been churning out ready made NCAA Championship material for quite some time. Hell, even Sanderson wasn't near what he is now at PSU when he was at ISU.

Simply put, I think Schwab has done a hell of a job. He was the Big12 Coach of the Year, even though it was shortened due to Covid. Had a National Champ a couple of years ago and has finished 46,34,15,9,34,25,18,24,13,N/A and 19th.

With the resources he has had and the location, I think he has done VERY WELL!

BTW, I was amused earlier today to be reading this thread, look up from my phone and look directly at Doug Schwab, in the flesh.
I was around him all weekend while checking in on this thread routinely. Sure was wearing a lot of panther gear for someone apparently considering leaving town.

Is he amused by this discussion?
I don't know. Not trying to lead people on like I am friends with him or anything. However, I just so happened to be around him most of the weekend in council bluffs watching our kids wrestle and having some general small talk. Nothing of personal nature and I wouldn't think to ask him about his plans. His boys are awesome kids, that much I know.

Reactions: wasdt21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT