ADVERTISEMENT

The finalists for the Illinois HC...

Do you think there are many coaches out there that could do better with the 3rd team in Iowa? Remember, the State of Iowa hasn't exactly been churning out ready made NCAA Championship material for quite some time. Hell, even Sanderson wasn't near what he is now at PSU when he was at ISU.

Simply put, I think Schwab has done a hell of a job. He was the Big12 Coach of the Year, even though it was shortened due to Covid. Had a National Champ a couple of years ago and has finished 46,34,15,9,34,25,18,24,13,N/A and 19th.

With the resources he has had and the location, I think he has done VERY WELL!
I simply asked the question.

The interview process is a two way street. The applicant has to convince the employer that they’re the right one to hire, AND the employer has to convince the applicant that it is the right job.

This. I approach every interview as though they need to convince me to work for them and not vice versa.

Reactions: manatree and el dub
Jim Heffernan did not leave the cupboard bare. There is considerable talent currently in the Illinois room. Although the score doesn't reflect, the hawkeyes did hustle last season vs Illinois.

The Illinois high school wrestling season began this week. There are a number of Chicagoland kids who will be/should be D1 recruits. And Mike may pickup a couple of westcoast kids, the Terappeli/Martinez connections. We will see if Mike can recruit, it won't take long.

Jim Heffernan did not leave the cupboard bare. There is considerable talent currently in the Illinois room. Although the score doesn't reflect, the hawkeyes did hustle last season vs Illinois.

The Illinois high school wrestling season began this week. There are a number of Chicagoland kids who will be/should be D1 recruits. And Mike may pickup a couple of westcoast kids, the Terappeli/Martinez connections. We will see if Mike can recruit, it won't take long.
The problem is in the past 5 years IL hasn't gotten IL best kids. They've a bunch of IL kids that are borderline D1 kids. And most came from Poeta club so unless he can start getting IL best I don't see things changing

The problem is in the past 5 years IL hasn't gotten IL best kids. They've a bunch of IL kids that are borderline D1 kids. And most came from Poeta club so unless he can start getting IL best I don't see things changing
That my friend, to state the obvious, is the plan.

Recruiting will definitely uptick with Poeta and he is only 35. To have that energy and passion is just a distant memory.

Reactions: kkhawk
Curious about that...he hasn’t been recruiting and if not, why not?
I think he has been recruiting and he has landed a few studs. The head coach is still an important figure in the recruiting world and Heff just was not good at it. Whether the new staff will base as technically gifted as the previous or better practice room coaches, I do not know. However, they should be a lot more dynamic on the recruiting trail.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT