ADVERTISEMENT

* The Official FSU vs. Cal Gameday Thread *

interesting that he is saying time to throw is > average... it feels like no time and pressure in his face constantly. The ball location / drops graphic was NOT surprising if you've watched, but interesting. I just couldn't watch the whole thing.

I'd read an article about that late last week (might have also been from Bud). The long "average time to throw" can be the result of a number of things...play design (if your offense if heavy on throwing downfield vs throwing quick slants), down & distance (you're in 3rd and long often, which we have been with our poor running attack), and WRs not being able to get open...but it is also certainly a result of slow reading and reaction from the QB. For us, I think it's a combination of all of them.

Q. I want to ask about two decisions during the game -- first, going for it on fourth-and-seven how come you didn't kick the field goal or punt? Second half, (indiscernible) about fake punt return, can you talk about that as well?

MIKE NORVELL: The fourth-and-seven it was going to be a 56-yard field goal. It's kind of the max range just with elements of what it was there for Ryan.

And then I thought our defense was playing really well. Felt very confident in -- I was under the belief we would go and get the first down. Obviously that did not happen.

But we've been really good on fourth downs this year and ultimately it didn't work out on that situation. They did get a field goal there before the half.

But I've got confidence in our team. I've got confidence in the guys to try -- I don't go into it thinking, oh my God, I hope this doesn't happen or hope that doesn't happen. It's the belief in what you do and how you train and all elements of it. I believe even if we didn't get it that we would get a stop defensively.

And obviously I want to put our guys in the best position to be successful. And I think we've shown a lot of confidence in Ryan in that moment. But I felt that I liked where we were. I thought if we get the first down, got an opportunity to go down there and potentially score a touchdown -- like I said, that didn't work out -- but we held them to a field goal and still winning with the lead there at halftime. And unfortunately it didn't work out the way we wanted it to in that situation.

Q. I want to ask about two decisions during the game -- first, going for it on fourth-and-seven how come you didn't kick the field goal or punt? Second half, (indiscernible) about fake punt return, can you talk about that as well?

MIKE NORVELL: The fourth-and-seven it was going to be a 56-yard field goal. It's kind of the max range just with elements of what it was there for Ryan.

And then I thought our defense was playing really well. Felt very confident in -- I was under the belief we would go and get the first down. Obviously that did not happen.

But we've been really good on fourth downs this year and ultimately it didn't work out on that situation. They did get a field goal there before the half.

But I've got confidence in our team. I've got confidence in the guys to try -- I don't go into it thinking, oh my God, I hope this doesn't happen or hope that doesn't happen. It's the belief in what you do and how you train and all elements of it. I believe even if we didn't get it that we would get a stop defensively.

And obviously I want to put our guys in the best position to be successful. And I think we've shown a lot of confidence in Ryan in that moment. But I felt that I liked where we were. I thought if we get the first down, got an opportunity to go down there and potentially score a touchdown -- like I said, that didn't work out -- but we held them to a field goal and still winning with the lead there at halftime. And unfortunately it didn't work out the way we wanted it to in that situation.
Our fourth down conversion success rate is 63% this year (assuming many of those are short yardage situations), 47th best in the nation.

Fitzgerald is 100% on field goals this year, including 3-3 from 50+ yards.

HXdMhlH.png

Our fourth down conversion success rate is 63% this year (assuming many of those are short yardage situations), 47th best in the nation.

Fitzgerald is 100% on field goals this year, including 3-3 from 50+ yards.

I was actually thankful for the false start that stopped us from going for it on 4th and 1 from our 34 at the outset of the game.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT