ADVERTISEMENT

The starting QBs for 17 bowl teams have already entered the transfer portal

The bowls are in serious trouble of eventually having schools withdraw as they are unable to field teams. First it was opting out, then it was some of the lesser players announcing transfer portal. Now it is also the better players doing transfer portal - whelp guess what: that is most of a team.

Seems easy solution would be two simple changes: transfer portal opens January 2 and if a player intentionally sits out of bowl game, they are DQd from playing the next year. Get it back to the only guys not playing are only those going pro.

This doesn’t seem like a sustainable business model. Here’s a website that keeps a running tab on transfers, opt-outs, and coaching changes for all bowl teams.

Link
I wish we had our new OC who would Deion Deke and tell him it ain’t going to work out here.

The bowls are in serious trouble of eventually having schools withdraw as they are unable to field teams. First it was opting out, then it was some of the lesser players announcing transfer portal. Now it is also the better players doing transfer portal - whelp guess what: that is most of a team.

Seems easy solution would be two simple changes: transfer portal opens January 2 and if a player intentionally sits out of bowl game, they are DQd from playing the next year. Get it back to the only guys not playing are only those going pro.
I don’t think that is realistic. They just need a comprehensive and global set of rules, like the NFL, where duties and obligations are covered by contract, and out in the open. Except, maybe you are free to leave, but there are going to be liquidated damages provisions. What we have now is a land grab or gold rush as the west was settled.

Last edited:
This is becoming such a thing that I am starting to wonder what the incentive is to recruiting players out of high school?

I mean seriously why waste your energy if they will just leave after their freshman year?

Might as well spend that effort focusing on the transfer portal.

One of the great things about following the Hawks was to see how the kids developed over their 4 or 5 years. Not a big fan of the revolving door we're seeing now...it is what it is.
Those days are days of old bins...
I think the new Indiana coach mentioned in his presser the other day that there are estimates that perhaps 30% of college rosters will enter “the portal” during their time in school....Right now this is nothing more than “play for pay” and many players will become nothing more than hired guns. College sports has changed forever. Nothing like turning over responsibility to 18-21 yr old kids....most of whom have no clue what awaits them in life.

I will support these guys doing what’s best for their careers over some bowl committees’ attempt to drum up tourism

Sure, it was better from a fan’s perspective when the bowls mattered. Take it up with ESPN and the universities that turned it into a bowl month

I think the Bowls as stand alone games need to go. Incorporate then into the championship tourney and a secondary tourney with the next 16 teams.

Gives the schools more payouts and reward the kids that stay to play Also 6-6 teams may not make the postseason anymore.

Reactions: Hawk_82
This is becoming such a thing that I am starting to wonder what the incentive is to recruiting players out of high school?

I mean seriously why waste your energy if they will just leave after their freshman year?

It’s reaching a point where you’re better off recruiting out of the portal rather than high schools. Teams spend a lot of time and money evaluating and recruiting high school prospects. Then when they arrive on campus they usually redshirt the first year or play sparingly. If they just end up transferring after one or two years then all of that money is wasted.

But once a player has transferred once, it is difficult to transfer again. Unless they have graduated or can obtain a mental health waiver, they can’t transfer a second time without sitting out a year.

So by recruiting players out of the portal instead of high school, you are getting someone who is more likely to stay in your program for at least a couple years. Plus, if they got some playing time at their previous school then you have a better idea of how well they are/were able to make the transition from high school to college.

Other than the two bowl games for the national championship, bowl games are full of mediocre teams, with reduced rosters missing often their best players that are portal bound or holding out for the draft, and are forgettable a day later.
I loved bowl games right up until the point where kids started opting out of them. I always said more college football is a good thing. Now all of this is just ridiculous.

It’s reaching a point where you’re better off recruiting out of the portal rather than high schools.
I think there's a balance...can't rely solely on the transfer portal because of team cohesion IMO.

If a teal like Iowa can keep the transfer turnover to 10% or lower (those coming in/out) I think it'd be easier to keep the team culture in place. Iowa's culture is very important to their success....watching Iowa's D battle till the bell in a essentially hopeless cause once they were down 17-0 is an example.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Rules need revision:
1. 1 time transfer only.
2. NIL: you have to actually do something to be paid for your image. Like the image needs to be in an actual ad campaign or you show up for events.
3. If schools are going to pay the athletes: If people don't like it they can set up their own G league and see who show's up to watch. A kid playing today has a captive audience they had nothing to do with earning and if they weren't there, the fan base would still carry on.
  • additional pay is banked and paid for each year: if they transfer they lose their bank. I would consider their pay their tuition room and board. 75-100K per year is not a bad job. Part of their job is graduation, if they went to school just for football and can't cut it, too bad.
  • Pay should be based on level of success: all american/all conference/academics. Failing classes and attendance issues are fined.
  • If back taxes are owed=ineligible.
  • Tuition/room and board are taxable benefits of their employment.
  • luxury tax/salary cap for the schools that decide to pay athletes. Like the pro's.
  • Why does everyone feel like the student athlete today is getting a raw deal. No one stopped going to Iowa games because kaden proctor isn't there or Nwankpa is. No one is watching because of the amazing athletic talent these kids have, because if they were the G league would draw ratings. It doesn't. If you were to weed out the d1 players that don't belong in college because they academically are outmatched (kept eligible by online classes/tutors and from outright cheating), there would be a slight drop in talent but it would not change viewership. This will end badly for 2nd tier sports and for a much larger pool of kids that actually go to college for an education but have money siphoned off to feed football.

Reactions: noleclone2
I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m thrilled with how much better college football has become following the implementation of the transfer portal and NIL…puke.
I honestly think it might implode. And I somewhat wonder if NCAA is ok with it and wanting it. I know this sounds like conspiracy theory, but NCAA lately seems very slack in all of this once NIL was approved on top of the very generous transfer portal changes. It would not take a rocket scientist to figure out this could destroy the sport quickly, and with it the TV ratings will eventually collapse as the bulk of nation gets tired of the game they love being limited to the same 20 schools with money and conference backing to always make playoffs despite 2-3 losses.

And here we are already just a mere few years later. The PAC 12 is dead, the ACC got shot in the head on Sunday, and we have already devolved into only two super conferences being viable. Add to this how after regular season the sport has become a free agency game by the players who move around from school to school for money or playing time and there is no continuity. Recruiting is devalued and every year it becomes a different team. Now, the non playoff bowl games are in danger.

The way things are going, you may have people soon begging to undo transfer portal and NIL and go back to the old days as interest in the sport begins to fade. Something needs to be done fast because a quasi minor league NFL system with 38 teams in two super conferences (that includes schools that will never make playoffs) with the same teams who can make playoffs with 2 or even 3 losses will shed national viewership. It is not going to work long term IMHO.

I honestly think it might implode. And I somewhat wonder if NCAA is ok with it and wanting it. I know this sounds like conspiracy theory, but NCAA lately seems very slack in all of this once NIL was approved on top of the very generous transfer portal changes. It would not take a rocket scientist to figure out this could destroy the sport quickly, and with it the TV ratings will eventually collapse as the bulk of nation gets tired of the game they love being limited to the same 20 schools with money and conference backing to always make playoffs despite 2-3 losses.

And here we are already just a mere few years later. The PAC 12 is dead, the ACC got shot in the head on Sunday, and we have already devolved into only two super conferences being viable. Add to this how after regular season the sport has become a free agency game by the players who move around from school to school for money or playing time and there is no continuity. Recruiting is devalued and every year it becomes a different team. Now, the non playoff bowl games are in danger.

The way things are going, you may have people soon begging to undo transfer portal and NIL and go back to the old days as interest in the sport begins to fade. Something needs to be done fast because a quasi minor league NFL system with 38 teams in two super conferences (that includes schools that will never make conferences) that can make playoffs with 2 or even 3 losses will shed national viewership. It is not going to work long term IMHO.
Like someone posted a couple of days ago, "When was the last time you heard someone being academically ineligible?" That used to be a thing. I don't even know if football/basketball players attend class anymore. I really wish we could go back to the days of student/athletes.

Like someone posted a couple of days ago, "When was the last time you heard someone being academically ineligible?" That used to be a thing. I don't even know if football/basketball players attend class anymore. I really wish we could go back to the days of student/athletes.
FBS is officially a train wreck for sure. I mean the B in FBS stands for Bowl and look at them now.

When ticket sales and viewership starts going down let me know.

Bunch of crusty old farts are pissed their Saturday entertaining isn’t what it used to be.

Good luck trying to make it better. Going to pay all 72 members of the Iowa Women’s crew roster an equal amount as the football team? If not lawyers will blow the school out of the water. It’s exactly why NIL is not going anywhere. Schools can’t and don’t want to afford the alternative.

Reactions: h-hawk
Coaches leaving for years and meh. But by god not a quarterback.
Not even remotely similar. Coaches don't "leave" their jobs. They are either hired by someone else or fired. They don't quit and just hope that someone else wants their services. That would be insane.

ya, why the hell did they make the portal open on the monday after championship week?

Almost every single player, unless they are at their power 5 dream school, is always looking to better their situation. They all think that they are better than the scholarship they settled for. My son is an NAIA player, who feels, as do we, that could gave gone DII, maybe even low level DI. That’s how we felt coming out of his senior year. Still feel that way. But in the end, he’s happy where he’s at. However, if he would have gotten a chance to move up after his freshman or sophomore year, especially with a full ride, he would have jumped at the opportunity. That doesn’t necessarily mean it would have been the best decision for him academically and quite possibly for playing time. Graduating from high school during the COVID year limited his exposure options as camp after camp was cancelled. Then every player that was a Freshman through Senior at his college was granted an extra year. His class was not. So he had to sit behind an extra class of eligibility in his position group. He played his freshman year, so red shirting wasn’t an option.

Bottom line, every kid thinks they are better than they are. Some actually are. I don’t blame them for trying to upgrade their situation. Hayden Large coming to Iowa from NAIA Dordt is a perfect example.

Reactions: torbee

Teams are holding back scholarships already. They are adjusting to a new reality.
I think developmental kids and PWO offers will be more important.

Keep in mind that a large percentage of kids who go into the portal never wind up at a new school. Their playing days are over. The kids actually making big money are few and far between. Their is a lot of BS in reports of how much kids are making.
The bubble seems about ready to burst. This isn’t sustainable.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
It is almost as if people shouldn't put much stock into the results of Bowl Games. Whining about it because it might impact your viewing pleasure of the amazing Citrus Bowl is dumb.

ESPN gets good rating for the bowl games.

This seems rather extreme. Iowa currently has 5 in the transfer portal, 1 Freshman.
That said, some schools have a lot of transfer portal activity.
As others have noted, some players are making a bad decision, as there might not be a place for them to land.

It is a good opportunity for a player to move up to the P2 if they have the chance.

Almost every single player, unless they are at their power 5 dream school, is always looking to better their situation. They all think that they are better than the scholarship they settled for. My son is an NAIA player, who feels, as do we, that could gave gone DII, maybe even low level DI. That’s how we felt coming out of his senior year. Still feel that way. But in the end, he’s happy where he’s at. However, if he would have gotten a chance to move up after his freshman or sophomore year, especially with a full ride, he would have jumped at the opportunity. That doesn’t necessarily mean it would have been the best decision for him academically and quite possibly for playing time. Graduating from high school during the COVID year limited his exposure options as camp after camp was cancelled. Then every player that was a Freshman through Senior at his college was granted an extra year. His class was not. So he had to sit behind an extra class of eligibility in his position group. He played his freshman year, so red shirting wasn’t an option.

Bottom line, every kid thinks they are better than they are. Some actually are. I don’t blame them for trying to upgrade their situation. Hayden Large coming to Iowa from NAIA Dordt is a perfect example.
Not saying you or your son are, but as a 20 year high school coach, I am seeing more delusional parents and players each passing year.

I literally said this to our team last night after a game. The head coach was pointing out things that weren't being done correctly, and the kids know who they are. When it was my turn I said I didn't totally agree because kids can be delusional and I knew that there was at least one kid in that locker room thinking, "Not me.", when he was most definitely including her/them in his comments.

We had a whole freshman class a few years ago come in and one of the parents tweeted out about 5 D-1 kids arriving. After they were done, only one played 4 years of high school and she played NAIA.

Last edited:
This seems rather extreme. Iowa currently has 5 in the transfer portal, 1 Freshman.
That said, some schools have a lot of transfer portal activity.
As others have noted, some players are making a bad decision, as there might not be a place for them to land.

It is a good opportunity for a player to move up to the P2 if they have the chance.
Agreed. I would like to think that most kids who come to Iowa know they are there to work and it's going to take some time for them to become really good - Kirk does have a track record of being able to prove that to recruits.

It’s reaching a point where you’re better off recruiting out of the portal rather than high schools. Teams spend a lot of time and money evaluating and recruiting high school prospects. Then when they arrive on campus they usually redshirt the first year or play sparingly. If they just end up transferring after one or two years then all of that money is wasted.

But once a player has transferred once, it is difficult to transfer again. Unless they have graduated or can obtain a mental health waiver, they can’t transfer a second time without sitting out a year.

So by recruiting players out of the portal instead of high school, you are getting someone who is more likely to stay in your program for at least a couple years. Plus, if they got some playing time at their previous school then you have a better idea of how well they are/were able to make the transition from high school to college.
The transfer limit likely ends this year with the new FTC non-compete rule.

Now that they are expanding the playoffs, they need to just get rid of all the other stupid bowl games. They’re meaningless exhibitions that lose money for the schools.

When ticket sales and viewership starts going down let me know.

For the minor bowls?

Pay attention to how many times they show the stands for all of the bowl games that take place before Dec 30th.

Most of them are not even close to half-full. Most of them look like NCAA Women's Soccer Tourney attendance-levels....

Not saying you or your son are, but as a 20 year high school coach, I am seeing more delusional parents and players each passing year.

I literally said this to our team last night after a game. The head coach was pointing out things that weren't being done correctly, and the kids know who they are. When it was my turn I said I didn't totally agree because kids can be delusional and I knew that there was at least one kid in that locker room thinking, "Not me.", when he was most definitely including her/them in his comments.

We had a whole freshman class a few years ago come in and one of the parents tweeted out about 5 D-1 kids arriving. After they were done, only one played 4 years of high school and she played NAIA.
Before my son went into his senior year, I asked our our high school coaches for their evaluation and opinion. What should we realistically shoot for? Their response was high level NAIA/DIII or could possibly work into an offer from a DII.

That is what we focussed on. We inquired to about every DIII and NAIA school in Iowa, Nebraska and bordering states within a 4-5 hour drive. He did hear from a few DII schools and got offered at a couple. Neither were a good spot for him.

He did get a visit at Northwest Missouri State, but never got an offer. The position coach wanted him, but the HC said he didn’t meet their size requirements for the DE position. Ironically, that position coach took a HC job after NWMS’s season was over and called right away to offer him.

We ended up at Morningside. He made the traveling roster his Freshman year and got a NAIA NC ring. He’s now entering his senior year. Personally I don’t have any regrets. Mside has been good for him. I do think, and I know he thinks, that he could have played at a higher level. That doesn’t mean we didn’t make the right choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT