ADVERTISEMENT

The starting QBs for 17 bowl teams have already entered the transfer portal

Before my son went into his senior year, I asked our our high school coaches for their evaluation and opinion. What should we realistically shoot for? Their response was high level NAIA/DIII or could possibly work into an offer from a DII.

That is what we focussed on. We inquired to about every DIII and NAIA school in Iowa, Nebraska and bordering states within a 4-5 hour drive. He did hear from a few DII schools and got offered at a couple. Neither were a good spot for him.

He did get a visit at Northwest Missouri State, but never got an offer. The position coach wanted him, but the HC said he didn’t meet their size requirements for the DE position. Ironically, that position coach took a HC job after NWMS’s season was over and called right away to offer him.

We ended up at Morningside. He made the traveling roster his Freshman year and got a NAIA NC ring. He’s now entering his senior year. Personally I don’t have any regrets. Mside has been good for him. I do think, and I know he thinks, that he could have played at a higher level. That doesn’t mean we didn’t make the right choice.
This sounds almost exactly like us. Both kids played NAIA - youngest is a senior. One played in Missouri and the other one had to transfer from a school closing in Wisconsin to an Iowa school. Great decisions for both. I think parents need to look closer at NAIA if their kids can't go D2, because they have a lot more scholarship money to hand out than the D3s.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
This doesn’t seem like a sustainable business model. Here’s a website that keeps a running tab on transfers, opt-outs, and coaching changes for all bowl teams.

Link
This is why the bowl games are basically dead men walking. Next year will finish them off. These games haven't even been worthy of keeping them part of the record books the last few years and they certainly won't be worth it in the future.

• Sad
Reactions: Tom Paris
Just to clarify my previous post, not being worthy doesn't necessarily mean the games aren't entertaining. I mean that the teams are usually completely gutted of the players that played during the regular season so they aren't a legitimate reflection of what the team was during the regular season. More and more coaches will just be treating it as a glorified scrimmage, especially when a full playoff is in place.

If schools are losing money going to bowl games that’s their problem.

Don’t go.

Guessing ESPN does just fine money wise by broadcasting them.

Reactions: Joes Place
This sounds almost exactly like us. Both kids played NAIA - youngest is a senior. One played in Missouri and the other one had to transfer from a school closing in Wisconsin to an Iowa school. Great decisions for both. I think parents need to look closer at NAIA if their kids can't go D2, because they have a lot more scholarship money to hand out than the D3s.
I also think the decision is bigger than just sports. Most athletes below division 1 are never going to go professional anyway. So they should be thinking about their education.

If you need the scholarship, I get it, but most NAIA and D2 schools are pretty bad academically compared to most d3 schools. That is obviously a broad generalization, but accurate the majority of the time.

I also think the decision is bigger than just sports. Most athletes below division 1 are never going to go professional anyway. So they should be thinking about their education.

If you need the scholarship, I get it, but most NAIA and D2 schools are pretty bad academically compared to most d3 schools. That is obviously a broad generalization, but accurate the majority of the time.
Most athletes IN DIVISION ONE, aren't playing professionally also.

Edit to say that there are many many small schools that are very good academic schools.

I think there is movement on tightening things up. My suggestion is one transfer with no strings attached. Anything beyond that you sit out a year before being able to compete.

I think there is movement on tightening things up. My suggestion is one transfer with no strings attached. Anything beyond that you sit out a year before being able to compete.
That’s basically where we are now. After the first transfer you can’t transfer again without sitting out a year unless you graduate or get a mental health exemption. You could transfer and play immediately after graduating even before the portal was implemented (eg, Jake Rudock and Russell Wilson) and the NCAA is starting to get stingy with mental health exemptions for second transfers.

I’m not sure I would allow a no-strings attached first transfer. One compromise might be you sit out a year but you don’t lose the year of eligibiity.

Reactions: globalhawk
Not saying you or your son are, but as a 20 year high school coach, I am seeing more delusional parents and players each passing year.

I literally said this to our team last night after a game. The head coach was pointing out things that weren't being done correctly, and the kids know who they are. When it was my turn I said I didn't totally agree because kids can be delusional and I knew that there was at least one kid in that locker room thinking, "Not me.", when he was most definitely including her/them in his comments.

We had a whole freshman class a few years ago come in and one of the parents tweeted out about 5 D-1 kids arriving. After they were done, only one played 4 years of high school and she played NAIA.
This. We've got a very successful class A football program in Northwest Iowa and have had several good players over the last 5 years I've been there. That being said, we've had maybe 5-10 kids who were good enough to play D3/NAIA.

However, the number of kids we've had turn down those opportunities or think they're too good for them is astounding. We had a kid last year being recruited by BV (they're desperate at the moment and the more tuition the better) and other small schools basically blow them all off because that level of football "wasn't worth his time." He held out looking for better offers and ended up going to a local community college that doesn't offer football for a semester before dropping out. He was maybe good enough to work his ass off for 2-3 years and get a little PT at that level but he seriously thought he was better suited for FCS. The amount of delusion is insanely high in kids, and I'm sure some of that has to do with the parents.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m thrilled with how much better college football has become following the implementation of the transfer portal and NIL…puke.
Honestly, NIL shouldve been about players getting paid for endorsemenrs, merch sales and what not.

It shouldnt have turned into the equivelant of backing up the brinks truck to get a player to cone play for you or stay.

And the disgusting thing, the whole idea of paying players was originally because of how much money these programs were bringing in….now it is expected that the fans plny up in the form of these collectives to bring these players in.

The NCAA/powers to be squeezed every dime they could out of the product and now they are seeing the ugly side of it. 6-6 teams should not be in a bowl game but hey "bad boy mowers" wants to be a sponsor so let's put a bowl in some bullshit city.

Make it a 32 team playoff and send everyone else home for the holidays. They would still get 30ish games ( you could do a 3rd place game) and winning would actually matter.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT