ADVERTISEMENT

There are ZERO restrictions when it comes to NIL

Meechie Johnson, South Carolina's leading scorer, entered the transfer portal & it looks like Ohio State is interested.

The 6-2 guard averaged 14.1 PTS, 4.1 REB, and 2.9 AST this season.

@pepsicock , have you heard anything? Guessing there's been tampering as well.

• Wow
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Not a draft. Collective bargaining with unions.

It wouldn't be surprising to see a player's union form but I don't think it would be able to get market power /unity to the level that the NBA union has for example. There are over 300 schools with diverse level of talent/budgets/etc.

The NCAA itself is hamstringing schools like Iowa and conferences like the B1G10 that want to play by the rules. My understanding is the school can't reward NIL donors with special access/benefits to the program/coach. There can't be any money coming from the school itself to players. I'm not sure what restrictions there are for coaching staffs working the collectives to raise money...Fran doesn't appear to be effective in getting the donor base to part with their money for NIL for basketball. He's all for more NIL, but the proof is in the pudding.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
It wouldn't be surprising to see a player's union form but I don't think it would be able to get market power /unity to the level that the NBA union has for example. There are over 300 schools with diverse level of talent/budgets/etc.

The NCAA itself is hamstringing schools like Iowa and conferences like the B1G10 that want to play by the rules. My understanding is the school can't reward NIL donors with special access/benefits to the program/coach. There can't be any money coming from the school itself to players. I'm not sure what restrictions there are for coaching staffs working the collectives to raise money...Fran doesn't appear to be effective in getting the donor base to part with their money for NIL for basketball. He's all for more NIL, but the proof is in the pudding.

I agree with your assessment of where it's heading with a union of some sort. That will further crush mid-level and lower-level teams which you can argue we are at this point. Those who know they're elite will join the union and those who aren't--the larger majority--won't and will play where they can. So, as always, the rich will get richer.
Then, as always, greed and corruption will infect the union structure and the fall will be complete.

You mean like this:
The landscape of college athletics is shifting. The introduction of name, image and likeness (NIL) deals for college athletes completely changed the game, opening doors (and dollars).

The Dartmouth men's basketball team is looking to push that transformation further. The Big Green voted 13-2 on Tuesday to join the local service employees union and form the first union in NCAA sports.

While the team is not an official labor union just yet, the decision marks the first time a group of college athletes has taken action as employees, not students, of their school. All 15 players participated in the vote to join Service Employees International Union Local 560, which already represents a number of Dartmouth workers.

"Today is a big day for our team," Dartmouth juniors Cade Haskins and Romeo Myrthil said. "We stuck together all season and won this election. It is self-evident that we, as students, can also be both campus workers and union members.

"Dartmouth seems to be stuck in the past. It’s time for the age of amateurism to end."

Even with a long road ahead, the vote is an unprecedented step to forming the first-ever labor union for NCAA athletes. Here's what you need to know about Dartmouth and its unionization efforts.

As Fran has stated, the only thing that will curtail what's transpiring, is the players have to sign a 2 year binding contract with the schools that they are going to. The coaches have to be protected too. This transferring every year has got to stop.
If the players are going to get paid, then they are basically professionals and should sign contracts.

Quote from Dusty May, new MICH BB coach
," at FAU I spent 20-25% of my time on NIL; engaging with boosters and businessmen."

This is the new paradigm for college coaches...will Fran or KF ever embrace that allocation of their time?

With all of the rules seemingly out the window these days...is there anything that would prevent a player from transferring this week, prior to the Sweet 16 being played?

Yes, I could see where that would create some feelings on behalf of the displaced player(s) and hurt team chemistry, but otherwise, is there anything preventing it in this Wild West of NIL and transfers? (I truly don't know either way and it just wouldn't really surprise nowadays to see it.)

With all of the rules seemingly out the window these days...is there anything that would prevent a player from transferring this week, prior to the Sweet 16 being played?

Yes, I could see where that would create some feelings on behalf of the displaced player(s) and hurt team chemistry, but otherwise, is there anything preventing it in this Wild West of NIL and transfers? (I truly don't know either way and it just wouldn't really surprise nowadays to see it.)
There is still a rule in place that you can’t play for two different schools in the same season.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
The only weapon schools now have is to make them actual students again, with stricter eligibility standards, freshman ineligibility, and perhaps even signed contracts with “non-compete” agreements barring them from competing for other same-division schools without sitting out a year

The alternative is utter chaos, as we are presently experiencing

The only weapon schools now have is to make them actual students again, with stricter eligibility standards, freshman ineligibility, and perhaps even signed contracts with “non-compete” agreements barring them from competing for other same-division schools without sitting out a year

The alternative is utter chaos, as we are presently experiencing
The NCAA still has the authority to regulate the benefits players receive from the schools. And those benefits are quite massive:
  • Tuition
  • Room & Board
  • World-class weight training
  • Access to intense, specialized academic tutoring
  • Access to a team of highly specialized coaches
  • Travel benefits, including summer trips to Europe, trips to island tournaments, trips to bowl games, and more
  • Medical expenses (when needed)
  • Physical therapy (when needed)
  • World-class dietary support
  • Clothing items and other team gear
  • Swag given to participants in major tournaments and bowl games
I'm not sure what dollar figure this would all come out to, but I've heard some estimate the figure to be well above $100,000 per year.

The NCAA may no longer be able to stop players from moving from school to school, and they can't stop players from receiving endorsement deals from companies or pay-for-play money from boosters, but they CAN regulate the terms in which players receive the benefits above from schools. For instance, retention of a scholarship could require students to commit to a certain number of years at the school. Players could still break that commitment if they choose, but they would be ineligible to receive a scholarship at their new school, and would be on the hook for covering the costs. For the guys getting the high-dollar NIL deals, this might not matter. But still, having to come up with the better part of $100K (or finding out what it means to take on thousands of dollars in student debt) might change the perspectives of a few folks.

I believe the worst thing that happened in this entire NIL discussion is when the talking heads started acting like a free college education (and the other benefits that go with it for athletes) was worthless. I remember one interview in which Jordan Bohannon, in advocating for "athlete rights," was talking about the amount of time athletes put in, and went on to say, "and the players get absolutely nothing!" I suspect that if Jordan, or his father, or any of his brothers, had ever had to pay a dime in student loan payments, he might have had a different perspective. A free college education is an immense benefit. We should stop acting like it's nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT