ADVERTISEMENT

This Has to Be the End of Ferentz

I think it comes down to whether you find satisfaction in beating poor teams in a 4 corners style offense, going 8-4 and to a borderline Jan day bowl.

I personally don’t as it’s boring and are not competitive vs top 15 ball clubs. KFs success vs top ranked teams since 2010 is pretty abysmal. That has only gotten worse the past 3 years.

The apathetic fans just dont see where this is going. Even if we tried to improve/change with the times and failed I could deal with that, especially if the style of ball was more entertaining.

I couldn’t care less what you are or aren’t concerned about, old man.

And no, I just casually turned the channel.

Carry on, old timer.
Old guys have more experience and knowledge than basement dwelling young punks.

Than there’s that punk……,

5-1 baby! If you want to watch an offensive explosion, watch a different team, Iowa isn’t built that way and never really has been. I’m sorry you can’t come to terms with that truth. We are who we are, it’s been this way for decades, is this your first year watching?
That's being ignorant if you think this is @WWDMHawkeye's first year watching. He's been around a very long time. I applaud all those fans who can't come to terms with the way Iowa's offense is currently built and are willing to State as much on this board.

That's being ignorant if you think this is @WWDMHawkeye's first year watching. He's been around a very long time. I applaud all those fans who can't come to terms with the way Iowa's offense is currently built and are willing to State as much on this board.
Check’s in the mail, bruh.😉

I think it comes down to whether you find satisfaction in beating poor teams in a 4 corners style offense, going 8-4 and to a borderline Jan day bowl.

I personally don’t as it’s boring and are not competitive vs top 15 ball clubs. KFs success vs top ranked teams since 2010 is pretty abysmal. That has only gotten worse the past 3 years.

The apathetic fans just dont see where this is going. Even if we tried to improve/change with the times and failed I could deal with that, especially if the style of ball was more entertaining.
I honestly don't understand why some posters are ok with one of the worst offenses in college football (and it isn't just this season). It makes zero sense. They like to bring up wins. It's true the Hawks have won a lot of games. It's also true the offense has lost several games and cost the team more than one appearance in the BTCG. How is that "ok"? Why is it ok to leave wins on the table?

Yes.....many fans complain about the offense even after a win. There is nothing wrong with that. Just because the Hawks win doesn't mean fans have to be accepting of a horrible offense. It's a message board. It's a place for folks to vent. That's their right. No need to snipe at other people because they have a different opinion.

Will complaining make a difference? Probably not. The offense is what it is....for better or worse...and fans need to understand it just isn't going to get much better the rest of the season, if at all.

Any changes will occur after the season is over, not before. What Kirk does (or doesn't) do will tell us a lot. I like to believe he will make the right decisions.

Was between kids games and watched some of the 3rd. Brutal.

Remembered a time where I'd figure out a way to stream it or listen to it despite the busy schedule.

Now, I'm to the point where I don't even GAF.

And that bummed me out because I love the Hawks, but there are very few redeeming qualities now.
I did not get Peacock and listened to Dolph and Eddie. Forgot how painful that is. Normally I would of paid for Peacock, but watching anymore is painful as well. But I will watch the replay today on Big Ten network and the rest of the games, because I support the player and appreciate the hard work they put in. Nothing I can do about the offense but just hope insanity does not continue.

I didn't claim you did. You asked me for my perspective, I gave it to you.

I don't claim to have that answer either. The one I have for you that made my time watching Iowa football a lot easier is to not dwell on it too much, because at the end of the day nobody in the program is the caliber of person to deserve the kind of vitriol you see on this board. That should be reserved for people who've done actual wrongs, not people who don't coach the kind of football they want to see.

I have far too much on my plate with the team I actually coach for to spend that kind of time and energy on something that doesn't deserve that level of anger.
Coach, After all the debate yesterday I see you are back today on this thread. I figured you would be busy working on Xs and Os for your team rather than on a free message board. Maybe you should enact the social media ban that KF has in place so you don't waste precious prep time. Anyhow, I've got a landscaping project that's tugging me away so good luck at your next game and thanks for the healthy conversations!

I honestly don't understand why some posters are ok with one of the worst offenses in college football (and it isn't just this season). It makes zero sense. They like to bring up wins. It's true the Hawks have won a lot of games. It's also true the offense has lost several games and cost the team more than one appearance in the BTCG. How is that "ok"? Why is it ok to leave wins on the table?

Yes.....many fans complain about the offense even after a win. There is nothing wrong with that. Just because the Hawks win doesn't mean fans have to be accepting of a horrible offense. It's a message board. It's a place for folks to vent. That's their right. No need to snipe at other people because they have a different opinion.

Will complaining make a difference? Probably not. The offense is what it is....for better or worse...and fans need to understand it just isn't going to get much better the rest of the season, if at all.

Any changes will occur after the season is over, not before. What Kirk does (or doesn't) do will tell us a lot. I like to believe he will make the right decisions.
I didn’t need to read any further than the bold to know…

…Good Post.

• Haha
Reactions: Frosty7130
I will agree that a win is a win however, there are some truths that must be acknowledged. If you match an unimaginative offense with the bend don't break defense you get a highly stressful team. Too many 3 and out coupled with long sustained drives by the opposition makes things seem worse. Iowa is content with eating the clock and shrinking the field trying to limit the offense to a field goal or less. Even if you win it feels like everything was a struggle and you aren't a good team.
Truth number 2: The Big 10 West is pretty weak! Throw in a few non-conference opponents that are generally a win and it is a short walk to a bowl game.
Truth number 3: I could be wrong, but I don't think so, most Iowa fans look at a bowl game as a good season. The same people will look back at the end of a 7 or 8 win season and say Hey if we could have won one or two of the close games we would have been ranked in the top 10 or 15 forgetting that in all likelihood those two games were at home and the defense kept it closer than it actually was.

Boy, sounds a lot like the same whiny pussies who claimed the exact same thing in 2021. And 2020. And 2019. And 2018. And 2015. And so on.
You really like to call people "whiny pussies". The satisfaction of just calling everyone "pussies" must have started to wear off over the years so you needed to add an adjective, seeking to regain that old high. Therapy was created for someone just like you.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that recognizing that this offense sucks and appreciating defense & special teams were mutually exclusive. Amazing what I learn on this board. You must be as smart of a fan as cmhawks.
It's amazing how idiots like yourself seem to be able to conjure up things I didn't say.

Why should a program not try to improve a unit that has been shit for three years?

Not to burst your bubble - but to be fair, Kirk HAS tried to improve things, this past year especially. First you have all the transfers he has brought in. They’ve also made a lot of changes to the run blocking - they have largely moved away from the zone-blocking/stretch run play that has been the staple of the offense.

And no, obviously the results haven’t been great. Deeper, schematic changes are needed, and most likely those aren’t coming while BF is the OC at the least.

What? I don’t think Kirk needs Beth’s permission to bring this offense into the 21st century.

Which leads me to this - it’s crazy to me that Beth looks like she is going to be forced to make what will almost be a tenure-defining move after the season…by either making a move or not regarding Brian, as he almost certainly won’t hit that 25ppg that would have triggered an automatic extension.

Personally I’m crossing my fingers and hoping Kirk chooses to retire and save us from an ugly situation.

This is not the fault of Brian and the offense. The defense is just not getting the pick-sixes they were the last few years. They are playing more minutes of the game and still not scoring. Something is definitely wrong with the defense?

Reactions: not_mantiteo
This is not the fault of Brian and the offense. The defense is just not getting the pick-sixes they were the last few years. They are playing more minutes of the game and still not scoring. Something is definitely wrong with the defense?
They get tired quickly playing with an offense that specializes in "3 and punt" all the time.

It's good to see some people being objective on this board. They also haven't been getting the stops on third and long.

• Wow
Reactions: littlez
It's amazing how idiots like yourself seem to be able to conjure up things I didn't say.
You are sanctimoniously ripping on everybody who is criticizing the Iowa offense and calling for change. Here's a newsflash for you - Every single Iowa fan appreciates the Iowa D and ST.

Some fans consider the ineptness of the Iowa offense the past 3 years to be an indication that this team will not sustain its overall success level much longer and no way will be get back to the heights that the program once was under the current regime, so maybe it's time to think about passing the torch after 25 years. Just because you don't feel that way doesn't make you a better or smarter fan than those who do.

You insulted me unprovoked, so I'd say you are a worse fan than me, because you just blow everyone off who has a different opinion as you as an "idiot" or having a "low mental capacity." Based on just reading your posts in this thread, I'd say you have quite a measure of insecurity.

It's good to see some people being objective on this board. They also haven't been getting the stops on third and long.

We’ve been spoiled by the last couple of years when we had championship-quality defense. This year, it’s simply “pretty good”.

There aren’t many schools that wouldn’t love to have our defense.

Reactions: HawkBall23
You are sanctimoniously ripping on everybody who is criticizing the Iowa offense and calling for change. Here's a newsflash for you - Every single Iowa fan appreciates the Iowa D and ST.

Some fans consider the ineptness of the Iowa offense the past 3 years to be an indication that this team will not sustain its overall success level much longer and no way will be get back to the heights that the program once was under the current regime, so maybe it's time to think about passing the torch after 25 years. Just because you don't feel that way doesn't make you a better or smarter fan than those who do.

You insulted me unprovoked, so I'd say you are a worse fan than me, because you just blow everyone off who has a different opinion as you as an "idiot" or having a "low mental capacity." Based on just reading your posts in this thread, I'd say you have quite a measure of insecurity.
Spot on.

This is a joke, right?

According to SP+ as of today, our defense is #1 fwiw

Yeah, some of that depends on advanced metrics that admittedly I don’t pretend to understand. What concerns me is that the defense - while statistically doing well in most categories, has struggled to get off the field on 3rd downs, until yesterday wasn’t getting home in the pass rush for two examples.

And to be fair that’s again be soiled by the last couple of years and overall a consequence of Phil Parker being so damn good at his job. We expect the D to be great as a minimum, and honestly is at the heart of frustrations regarding Brian and the offense - they can’t seem to manage being mediocre, which probably wins the b10 west this year.

Reactions: HawkBall23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT