ADVERTISEMENT

This Purdue game is going to be FUN

There were some recruits that both teams were after, and I heard that Purdue was blowing their phones while the kids were visiting Iowa and specifically dirty recruiting against Iowa. I know there are more details but I don’t remember exactly.

Dirty recruiting or just telling offensive recruits the truth?? "You don't want to play in that offense"

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
And I doubt the Iowa oline will be able to stop them - not with that extra week and the blitzes they call. Iowa will need to have a lot of quick-hitters and misdirection plays ready, but I have doubts that the OC will see it that way. I hope Iowa has life offensively but I just don't see it happening.

This could be very painful if PU scores a couple of TDs quickly. If the Iowa D can get some TOs and wall up PU's running game, it could get interesting. I hope Phil has some tricks up his sleeve.
I agree about how important it is for the hawk defense to come out of the tunnel and be at 110% since when they do that and stop the other team's first couple of drives then the hawks get better and better.

2018 is worth noting at 30+ per game. No one should use anything from 2020 as evidence for anything. Teams were severely limited in practice. Some teams didn't even allow contact in practice. Petras played two good halves in the entire 2020 season.
You are correct about the O Line. When is the last time they had a great line? Despite Scherff, Wirfs, Linderbaum, the lines have been subpar for the better part of a decade.
KOK was hands-down the best OC during KF's tenure AINEC.
Okay Scott Frost.

Purdue QB gets the ball out quickly. Without pressure I don’t know how the DB’s hold up for us. Moss hasn’t been a lock down defender this year and PU knows how to attack our scheme. Will Jones knowing us and vice versa will that help or hurt?

I expect Purdue will go up tempo and try to run as many plays as possible against us in hopes of breaking a big one. If we give up more than 17 it will likely be a loss and victory isn’t a lock even if the D plays lights out.

I agree. Just read the other thread with "fans" saying they'd be fine if we lose so that changes are made. Sorry, thats not good. First off believe it or not, these kids are trying to do well, and NO KF is not trying to do poorly on one side of the ball just to give the "fans" the middle finger. The crap people post on here is beyond reasoning...
those aren’t fans….. I’m seriously having trouble stomaching this board anymore

I’m guessing Nebraska fans are laughing their asses off at all the whiny little bitches on here

Last edited:
Michigan ran the ball up the gut to a 20-0 and packed it in and went home. Iowa St drove 99 yds with a newbie qb running the same play and playing on the road for the first time. Illini O is as bad as the Hawk's. Ohio St put up 54! and scored every time in the 2nd half.
Hawk's are what they are. Get off Barta, he schedules very well.
Michigan ran the ball up the gut to a 20-0 and packed it in and went home. Iowa St drove 99 yds with a newbie qb running the same play and playing on the road for the first time. Illini O is as bad as the Hawk's. Ohio St put up 54! and scored every time in the 2nd half.
Hawk's are what they are. Get off Barta, he schedules very well.

No, not really. Illinois offensive scoring average is +10 over Iowa's and their total offense is ~+160 yds/game more than Iowa's. That's not close at all IMO.

I'm hopeful that Iowa finds a groove Saturday and makes things very difficult for Purdue once they get into the RZ. That may cause them to take too many chances and hopefully Iowa can capitalize on that and convert their mistakes into points.

Purdue QB gets the ball out quickly. Without pressure I don’t know how the DB’s hold up for us. Moss hasn’t been a lock down defender this year and PU knows how to attack our scheme. Will Jones knowing us and vice versa will that help or hurt?

I expect Purdue will go up tempo and try to run as many plays as possible against us in hopes of breaking a big one. If we give up more than 17 it will likely be a loss and victory isn’t a lock even if the D plays lights out.

The DBs don't know Jones since he isn't running the same scheme he did at Iowa.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
At least Purdue doesn’t have this guy anymore, who in 3 games against Iowa did this:

37 rec., 558 yds, 5 TD 💥

David Bell's career (3 games) vs. the Hawkeyes was nothing short of stunning.

Think I saw Purdue is favored by 7, can’t remember the over under.

We’ve struggled against them lately. Not sure if it’s a matchup/scheme issue or just bad break for Iowa but don’t have a good feeling about this one.
Purdue is currently -4.5 & O/U is 41

The DBs don't know Jones since he isn't running the same scheme he did at Iowa.
It's called film... A guy doesn't break tendencies over a couple of months. Our db's know Charlie and his comeback route, just have a safety over the top to get the interception. Cooper can jump a couple routes in this game.
Film....

It's called film... A guy doesn't break tendencies over a couple of months. Our db's know Charlie and his comeback route, just have a safety over the top to get the interception. Cooper can jump a couple routes in this game.
Film....

It wasn't just Bell.
Anthony Mahounjou
Terry Wright
They both lit up Iowa's secondary before Bell played for Purdue. It is scheme.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
It wasn't just Bell.
Anthony Mahounjou
Terry Wright
They both lit up Iowa's secondary before Bell played for Purdue. It is scheme.
Was more of the fact that guys were out of position. Phil and the db's have talked about playing sound assignment defense against Purdue and not getting sucked up into tendencies. Once Brohm gets you on your heels they up the tempo and keep you there.
Iowa was also down a couple of players the last two times playing Purdue and that doesn't boad well. Not an excuse, but I am glad Moss is healthy.

Was more of the fact that guys were out of position. Phil and the db's have talked about playing sound assignment defense against Purdue and not getting sucked up into tendencies. Once Brohm gets you on your heels they up the tempo and keep you there.
Iowa was also down a couple of players the last two times playing Purdue and that doesn't boad well. Not an excuse, but I am glad Moss is healthy.

I am not flaming Phil and the defense. God knows they are the only reason we are even hanging out on this board. The truth is Iowa has not had many stud lock-down corners. Des King was the best under KF and he is a slot corner in the NFL. Moss has had a great career but he can be beaten. Sheffield is probably a bigger threat than Jones. I hope the weather is as forecast and Phil is aggressive with pressure.

Reactions: Section25
Running back for Purdue has been over 100 yards the last three games and the tight end has over 40 catches this year. Scheme for Brohm has changed a bit.
Just heard Kirk say we have been beat on deep balls mostly to the defensive right side. One tendency Purdue has had and picked on against Iowa.

Agreed, but Nebby was beating them over the top with Trey Palmer . We ain’t got a Trey Palmer.
I read Brohm's press conference. He emphasized that for Purdue getting a lead against Iowa is key to not let Iowa play like it wants to play. I would agree.

It also looks like Boilers have serious injury issues on both sides of the ball. 3 secondary members out. Wisconsin had a ton of success throwing the ball. Mertz average nearly 10 yards per pass attempt and Badgers ran for 178. O'Connell also threw 3 picks. Of course, against Iowa O'Connell is Joe Montana.

Will be interesting to see what, if any, changes Parker makes this year. Traditionally, Iowa just does their stuff on defense regardless of opponent and the results have been good. Brohm has managed to attack the Iowa defense like no one else has been able to.

I read Brohm's press conference. He emphasized that for Purdue getting a lead against Iowa is key to not let Iowa play like it wants to play. I would agree.

It also looks like Boilers have serious injury issues on both sides of the ball. 3 secondary members out. Wisconsin had a ton of success throwing the ball. Mertz average nearly 10 yards per pass attempt and Badgers ran for 178. O'Connell also threw 3 picks. Of course, against Iowa O'Connell is Joe Montana.

Will be interesting to see what, if any, changes Parker makes this year. Traditionally, Iowa just does their stuff on defense regardless of opponent and the results have been good. Brohm has managed to attack the Iowa defense like no one else has been able to.
I think only one secondary member is out, granted, an important one. The D has been anchored by the Dline all year though. Hard to wear them down because they play 3 deep at each spot. Essentially, they just keep coming.

As for O'Connell and Purdue, they have always struggled with Wisconsin. I don't get it. Go look at O'Connell last year. Ended the season as hot as anyone, but was absolute trash in the Wisconsin game. Plus he's been playing hurt. Is healthy now.

I understand fans being frustrated. It’s going to take more than a win over Northwestern to get some folks back on board. That is perfectly reasonable.

Kirk has cultivated such a squeaky clean image that it’s only natural for people to pile on when he screws up, which he will do because he’s not perfect.

But if you can’t enjoy a fun matchup like we’re going to see you on Saturday, then I don’t know why you’re a college football fan. I know it sucks not to be playing for anything meaningful like a championship, but it’s got some good drama.
It’s not about Kirks supposed squeaky clean image people want to tarnish it’s about missed opportunities on offense that are so clear to see that Kirk refuses to utilize to push Iowa into an upper level Big 10 team. We play not to lose and people are damn sick of it.

Reactions: DewHawk
I think only one secondary member is out, granted, an important one. The D has been anchored by the Dline all year though. Hard to wear them down because they play 3 deep at each spot. Essentially, they just keep coming.

As for the Iowa defense and Purdue, they have always struggled with Brohm's offense. I don't get it. Go look at Iowa's defense last year. Played all season as good as anyone in the conference, but was absolute trash in the Purdue game. Happens every damn year.
FIFY.

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerN
Not the same as going against someone in practice day after day and knowing what he likes to do and how fast, etc. You could tell in Riley's interview he is very much looking forward to it.

I doubt Moss will match up much against Jones. CJ lines up on the right side most of the time.

It’s not about Kirks supposed squeaky clean image people want to tarnish it’s about missed opportunities on offense that are so clear to see that Kirk refuses to utilize to push Iowa into an upper level Big 10 team. We play not to lose and people are damn sick of it.
I was talking specifically about his comments about the reporter and how he is glad he doesn’t have their job. A lot of coaches say things like that but Kirk normally takes the high road.

0527e1252a15510e34f2aef44e33909d263f4d-v5.jpg

Pure BS. There’s nothing on Brohm inside close circles.

Brohm is a very private man and if you have stories it’ll be a first. If anyone had stories on him they’d have Louisville or Lexington zip codes. Never a peep. Nice try!

The biggest thing is he attacks the corners. A lot of offenses seem afraid to be aggressive against Iowa's D. He has even said he is going to go after them and make them show they can stop it. Phil rarely runs man schemes. Brohm knows where the holes are and attacks them.
Last coach to beat Tennessee and lots of wins over ranked teams. When has he ever had superior talent?

Obviously the Charlie Jones / Tyrone Tracey situation is the headline, but these coaching staffs have really grown to dislike each other, and Purdue has gotten the better of Phil recently. I promise the staff has this game circled. With the offense getter better I expect there will be a pretty good show on Saturday.
The offense got better because the opponent was NW.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT