ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Start Over

Come to think of it, that's pretty much true for me, also. Buie from NW and that's probably because he has a catchy name.. Edey, and.... Then I struggle to come up with anyone.

I watch very little, also, other than Iowa. I used to be a college hoops junkie. I can still name several players from other Big Ten teams from decades ago. Current? Yeah I've got zilch.
Yes! Him also.

I would bet Fran has considerable respect within the coaching fraternity and you would have to wonder what potential hire would consider coming into a situation knowing that Fran was shown the door at this point in his career rather than dictating his own future.
99% of all coaching jobs are generated from the previous coach being terminated. The only coaches Iowa wouldn't get would be those alteady in a better spot. I would also imagine most coaches would sign up for an opportunity of 15 years to achieve success.

99% of all coaching jobs are generated from the previous coach being terminated. The only coaches Iowa wouldn't get would be those alteady in a better spot. I would also imagine most coaches would sign up for an opportunity of 15 years to achieve success.
I will have to research the source of that 99% figure.

Reactions: TritonHawkeye
This came up in my Facebook history from 14 years ago today.

Memo to the new coach. Keep the current and incoming players. Go get an athletic juco PG. Install your offense, hopefully not a slow down one. And let's win some games next year.

He brought in Bryce Cartwright as a juco PG, who may have been the best of his tenure, and switched Basabe from Siena . He kept most of the inherited players along with Dev and McCabe as Lick’s recruits but lost Brust. His first team sucked but laid a foundation that seemed to have a positive future. They played some good defense the following couple seasons. In his 3rd season he went 21-12 before the NIT, losing seven games by less than 5 points.

Then he gave up on defense.

Also, the wild card is now the portal the four-year extension approach is no longer as critical for successful recruiting. Conceptually, you could replace the entire team from the portal as a new coach.
That's my point.
The old philosophy no longer applies because the rules are now different. Unless you are going to get top 50 high schoolers, recruiting from other teams is a better way to go. Grab the best players you can get from lower level leagues. And with unrestricted player movement a coach can put together a team in one season to make a run in the NCAA tourney. Don't need a coach locked up for 7 seasons with a big buyout to do that.

Reactions: DewHawk
…..and never really get there.

There's a new sheriff in town. I doubt this AD is going to put up with mediocrity much longer especially with how poor mens attendance has been and will continue. I know most will hate this,but we need to emulate what Wisconsin is doing. They get the same type of athletes we do,but play tough physical grab ass defense. They take care of the ball and execute in the half court. Much more success than us in the last 20 years.
Or Northwestern, ISU, Nebraska, Rutgers, Penn st, Drake ect.

There's a lot of programs that aren't better than Iowa that are recruiting better athletes.

Was going to start a new thread for this, but it is directly related to this topic...

Rob Howe still carrying water for Fran, and while his point about an updated arena is definitely valid, there is really nothing an arena upgrade and making fans happier will do about changing the product on the floor. It's about the HC and his staff making critical adjustments and being more successful in recruiting/portal transfers.

Hawkeye Hoops Needs More Help​

It's Not the Coach, It's the Level of Commitment to Program

He's seriously making the case that the MBB (and by extension WBB) just can't compete with the competition because CHA simply isn't enough of a comfy mecca and therefore players don't feel supported and recruits aren't impressed enough to commit to Fran. He also goes into NIL contributions lagging and how Fran's tenure favors comparably with Ferentz.

:rolleyes:
There's some validity here but sticking with Fran only makes things steadily worse.

Fran missed his moment and everyone knows it.

SD makes a great point, why sign any coach to a “longer than recruiting needs” contract? So for example, if Devries came to Iowa go $24 over 6 years. If by year 2 things aren’t looking up, and the fans aren’t buying tickets, does he really need an extension? I assume it’s bad to not have a contract that runs at least 4 years but it’s also an anchor if a coach can’t make things happen. Year 3 would still have 3 more years so extend after that if it’s working, if fans are back to packing Carver? Tell him up front the extension comes at $6-7 per season and that’s motivation enough.
Yeah, Barta seemed to want to make his own life as simple as possible rather than being a boss.

There's some validity here but sticking with Fran only makes things steadily worse.

Fran missed his moment and everyone knows it.
Exactly. He had multiple NBA players on a roster and couldn’t get anything done in the tournament. Time to move on

Sure. She's going to fire the winningest coach in program history.

I would bet Fran has considerable respect within the coaching fraternity and you would have to wonder what potential hire would consider coming into a situation knowing that Fran was shown the door at this point in his career rather than dictating his own future.

This senior class was inconsistent and the portal players were not B10 quality.
There is potential coming back and potential coming in. See what value can be drawn from the portal this time around.

Next year will be better maybe even good.
At some point you have to look beyond the "winningest coach in history" when its only because they've been here so long. All of our coaches are lifers. Bluder really got things going the last 5 or 6 years. I cut Kirk some slack because he's been right there in that third wheel slot along with Wisconsin and PSU for quite awhile. Good programs, generally top 20, occasionally top 10 even, but just can't get past OSU, and M, just like EVERYONE else in the league. Frankly through the whole P5 theres about 4 or 5 teams when the season starts that you think can win it all. Playing into a stacked deck pretty much every year. Other then this offensive collapse the last few years he's done a damn solid job. As for mens basketball, NO. Probably 80 teams have been to the sweet 16 since Iowa did it last. Even in the B1G there is NO team thats really that much better. Purdue has had a good run, but they sure as hell are not unbeatable. Big difference between football and basketball from that respect. There is no reason that Iowa can't win the B1G in basketball other then coaching and actually closing on a couple of these top recruits that fran's always courting. One or two top 50 players would put Iowa in a totally different position. Without that, then we need to figure out how to defend and rebound, and these don't seem to be on the top of Frans "things to do " list. So really either he starts a new list, or we should find someone who will...

Last edited:
We know what the ceiling is for Fran. He refuses to coach defense. He has no clue when to call a timeout, and his rotations are very weird at times. Ideally a mutual agreement can be made and we can pay him to walk away.
I am finally at the point where I agree

Please don’t compare fran to a hall of fame coach, which Kirk most certainly is.
Kirk has his faults and there are some similarities to Fran.
But
Fran has never reached Kirk’s heights nor does Fran develop to players that Kirk does. Frans guys come in skinny and slow and leave skinny and slow. Fran recruits guys that remind him of himself.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
I'm 52, Iowa grad and lifelong Iowa fan, and I don't think there's ever been a time in my life/fandom when all of the major Iowa men's programs.... football, basketball, wrestling.... have been this limp, this mediocre, this void of life, this unable to compete vs. the top level.

Truly pathetic. We need a complete reset on the men's side.
You are not alone.

Wrong about football.
No, he’s not.

The football program has an elite defense and a lot of future NFL talent, but as far as the TEAM goes, it has been several years since they’ve been competitive with the top-level teams, and that was his point.

Lol at New Mexico & San Diego State having guards that would run circles around Iowa's- in the freaking Mountain West conference.
From what ive see the mountain west is really good this year.

There's quite a few teams in that league that are better than most of the b10 this year.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT