ADVERTISEMENT

To get kids back in Iowa schools, Gov. Reynolds indicates she will push for law requiring it

This article is reporting on schools that have been in person, which to my knowledge have been with precautions. It essentially says the precautions work, which I don't think anyone can really say isn't true anymore. But those precautions can be inconvenient for people as well.

It does say that very young children appear to not spread it as much, but it really said for ages 6 or under which only applies to 1st grade and kindergartners. Still, I certainly think more schools need to look for ways to get students back at school, at least for a few days a week.
I agree but I think some cities (NY) are way too quick to pull the plug on schools...and we’re seeing negative effects on kids from those closures.

It is if you don't take precautions. It needs to be made clear that opening up schools right now is not the same as the way schools were pre-pandemic. Class sizes need to be kept small so you will still have kids at home on some days, or they will only be there half the day depending on which option your district chooses. They will not be able to participate in group work very much. Yes, it is better and it is possible to do it, but it can't be done with 25 kids in each classroom.

Remember, schools are proving not to be a major vector for transmission because of the precautions they are taking, not necessarily because kids can't spread it.
We didn’t change class sizes, working just fine.

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
Understand your points and I appreciate the back and forth.

Here is my question: what makes education so special? There is no other industry pushing back as hard as the education industry. And do you know why that might be? Because they have "think of the children" as their bargaining chip. It's a chess match because all the pieces are there.

Retail employees haven't threatened to quit in masses. Airline employees. Meat packing employees. Contractors/laborers. Appliance repair people who go INTO peoples homes. Delivery people. Bankers. Hair stylists, grocery store employees, and the rest of America that goes to work.

It's only education. Because everything has to be a God damn fight with education because.....well I don't precisely know other than it's political.

Again, if Americans enjoy where they live and hope to have a continued educated, functioning, healthy, strong, stimulated, involved populace in the near future it would be for everyone's benefit to get the future generations back to school. Back to learning. Back to playing sports and band and acting in theaters. Getting into fights and sitting in the principals office. Having detention. Going on field trips.

This is what helps children, develop into functioning adults.

It is truly amazing to me some (not you necessarily) have to have such a simple concept explained to them. But hey, don't take it from me. Take it from real childhood development professionals. All of whom unanimously advocate for in person school and activities.
I appreciate it too!

I get that most all childhood development professionals say that kids should be in school learning. But it seems like they (and it's their role) come at it from the perspectives of the kids, not the teachers, administrators, and support staff who have to also be in the school, and who may be at higher risk of getting covid, and having worse symptoms. I'm sure that there are a lot of safeguards that can be take, but depending on the kids, getting the students to consistently go along with them could be challenging.

One issue I do have is the parents. Parents are notorious for sending their kids to school when they're sick - masking fevers with aspirin, etc. If there was a way to ensure that parents wouldn't send their kids to school sick, it'd be safer, but parents aren't like that. Parents want those kids out of the house!

Your first question is a good one. I'm not involved in education, except for having a kid in high school. So all I've got is my perspective. I guess I wonder why it is that teachers are put in such an important role, which requires advanced education and training, and then treat them like blue collar workers? Look at that list that you wrote -they're all low level workers. I guess not "bankers", but here locally, the only people in the bank are tellers, and some of the banks are drive thru only for now.

But if you're going to lump teachers in with meat packers and grocery store workers, doesn't it diminish their importance and their professionalism? When covid started my company sent us all home to work, and there's no telling when we're going to be allowed back - I'm hearing it'll be summer '21. Most of the "white collar" workers here are in the same boat. So if teachers are going to be respected as college-educated professionals who are in fact responsible for developing future leaders, shouldn't they be treated with as much respect as other professionals? Doctors and nurses have a level of health risk (and accompanying safeguards) inherent in their roles. Teachers haven't historically had that.

If teachers are now going to be told that they have to do the same job, for the same money, but take on a whole new level of health risk, isn't it reasonable to expect them to push back against that? It's like if you told me that I have to go back to the office, and there's a 1 in 1000 chance that I'm going to be shot and seriously injured (if not die), then I'm not going to be thrilled with that. I'm going to look for ways to reduce my risk, or to be paid better for accepting the new risk.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I think there could be significant pushback to telling all the teachers that they have to go report back to work at the schools, while there's still a bunch of covid going around. If there's not, then what did the teachers ever bother unionizing for - if not for a huge health and safety issue like this? Seems like that is supposed to be the whole point of the union - to protect the workers.

Here is my question: what makes education so special? There is no other industry pushing back as hard as the education industry. And do you know why that might be? Because they have "think of the children" as their bargaining chip. It's a chess match because all the pieces are there. Retail employees haven't threatened to quit in masses. Airline employees. Meat packing employees. Contractors/laborers. Appliance repair people who go INTO peoples homes. Delivery people. Bankers. Hair stylists, grocery store employees, and the rest of America that goes to work.

Teachers unions...

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
The science indicates schools should be open. Not a vector of transmission and hurts kids.
You guys keep saying this, but it's really weird how many teachers started getting Covid when schools were open. I'm saying this as someone who looks forward to seeing the kids on Monday.

You have schools in the same county and some times same city (public vs private) doing completely different things. Why can some in the same county/city operate full in-person while others cannot? Why don’t those not operating full in-person model those that are. Is it really that hard. Are some school boards and admins really that dense and stuck in their ways that they can’t adapt?

We didn’t change class sizes, working just fine.

The important thing is being able to spread kids apart. If your class sizes were already relatively small or you had large rooms then it isn't necessary to split the classes up.

Of the teachers we know that have had it they haven’t traced it to school but outside of school.

Same here,.. I know three teachers that have tested positive and all of them are believed to have contracted the virus outside of school activities...

Reactions: Pinehawk
Understand your points and I appreciate the back and forth.

Here is my question: what makes education so special? There is no other industry pushing back as hard as the education industry. And do you know why that might be? Because they have "think of the children" as their bargaining chip. It's a chess match because all the pieces are there.

Retail employees haven't threatened to quit in masses. Airline employees. Meat packing employees. Contractors/laborers. Appliance repair people who go INTO peoples homes. Delivery people. Bankers. Hair stylists, grocery store employees, and the rest of America that goes to work.

It's only education. Because everything has to be a God damn fight with education because.....well I don't precisely know other than it's political.

Again, if Americans enjoy where they live and hope to have a continued educated, functioning, healthy, strong, stimulated, involved populace in the near future it would be for everyone's benefit to get the future generations back to school. Back to learning. Back to playing sports and band and acting in theaters. Getting into fights and sitting in the principals office. Having detention. Going on field trips.

This is what helps children develop into functioning adults.

It is truly amazing to me some (not you necessarily) have to have such a simple concept explained to them. But hey, don't take it from me. Take it from real childhood development professionals. All of whom unanimously advocate for in person school and activities.
Didn't you learn over the summer that teachers are more at risk than any one else? It was reported that in one district, it would cost approximately eleventy billion dollars to make everything safe to return.

You guys keep saying this, but it's really weird how many teachers started getting Covid when schools were open. I'm saying this as someone who looks forward to seeing the kids on Monday.
Any statistics on the number of teachers who contracted it from their students? I can’t find any. The few anecdotal cases broadcast on the media when they reopened turned out to be not from the kids.

Fauci says schools should reopen

My 4th grader's reading scores have dropped 100+ points since last December......and I would consider her one of the lucky ones. Good for Reynolds for advocating for students....

Teachers are essential and I'm sure everyone of them got into teaching to 'make a difference in a kid's life'......The kids need to be in school socially, academically and for their mental health.

right. Make a difference in kids lives.....and die.

You have schools in the same county and some times same city (public vs private) doing completely different things. Why can some in the same county/city operate full in-person while others cannot? Why don’t those not operating full in-person model those that are. Is it really that hard. Are some school boards and admins really that dense and stuck in their ways that they can’t adapt?

Agreed. ^^ I think the radical differences in how some school districts have dealt with this, even when they are separated by only a few miles relates more to politics and culture differences.

My wife is a school teacher and her school has modified the day to minimize the potential to spread it and a few people have had COVID, teachers/admins and students and parents, but in almost all of the cases it was determined to have been spread through activities outside of school. In response, there have been temporary suspensions of in person school, but only for a limited time and then back at it.

There is no signal whatsoever that in person school is driving any significant # of COVID cases. Meanwhile, the youngsters are making very good academic progress, enjoying the vital social interaction between schoolmates/teachers and life is moving on, albeit in a little different manner than normal.

No way. You say, "School is open. We've made it as safe as we can. Work or don't." You'll get 95% showing up for work on Day 1.

No, they really haven't made it as safe as possible. At least in DSM, when they were fully open, class sizes were the same, they didn't do much social distancing, etc.

Education is a different environment. Even small schools bring hundreds of people into close proximity with each other for extended periods of time. One thing we know about COVID, longer more concentrated exposures are far more likely to transmit the disease and possibly increase the severity of the disease. For other essential workers, you are generally limited in the length of time you are exposed to people. Basically, if you are wearing a mask and are not within 6 feet of someone for more than 15 minutes, and wash your hands regularly your risk of getting the disease is very small.

The other difference is those other employees generally don't have unions to fight for them. Educators have a much more organized way of making sure they have a say in the working environment. It's one of the exact reasons unions formed in the first place. Given how some of those other essential workers have had serious issues with outbreaks and educators haven't, it's worked.

I feel like somehow this has gotten turned into a debate that for some reason teachers don't want to reopen...ever. Of course they do. I know my sister hates trying to teach 1st graders via Zoom. For whatever reason, this has bled into the debate surrounding how easy some people think teachers have it, so what's the possible risk?

Any statistics on the number of teachers who contracted it from their students? I can’t find any. The few anecdotal cases broadcast on the media when they reopened turned out to be not from the kids.

Fauci says schools should reopen

It's not just about catching it from students though. Just try to think about the sheer number of adults that are present at any decent-sized school. From the parents who show up for activities, to administrative staff, custodians, all the teachers, etc. Substitute teachers are largely older/retired teachers who are high-risk. And so on. It's not just the teachers and students.

No, they really haven't made it as safe as possible. At least in DSM, when they were fully open, class sizes were the same, they didn't do much social distancing, etc.

I feel like somehow this has gotten turned into a debate that for some reason teachers don't want to reopen...ever. Of course they do. I know my sister hates trying to teach 1st graders via Zoom. For whatever reason, this has bled into the debate surrounding how easy some people think teachers have it, so what's the possible risk?

It's not just about catching it from students though. Just try to think about the sheer number of adults that are present at any decent-sized school. From the parents who show up for activities, to administrative staff, custodians, all the teachers, etc. Substitute teachers are largely older/retired teachers who are high-risk. And so on. It's not just the teachers and students.

if that was the case, how many teachers quit?

Based upon my recent research, I'd say in person option should be put on the table for under 6th grade, at least.

That said, I'm not sure you should override local school district decisions.

With the timing, I think you'll see the vast majority of schools going to full In Person after the new year starts.

I'm guessing the state will force schools to pause activities if there is no 100% option as soon as the vaccinations start. I'm totally good w/ that and hope that teachers get the option to get vaccinated near the top of the list.....

No reason not to open at that point right?

I get

i get that but I thinks the benefits of keeping the schools open outweigh the risks. Just haven’t seen the anticipated spread in schools.

No. No visitors allowed on campus. Ever. That’s the first thing that gets shut down. Temperatures taken at drop off before they step into the school. Random temperature checks between class where students are released from classes staggered to prevent hallway crowding. It can be done. Pretty easily actually. I’m seeing it happen.

I agree with those that feel like in-person schooling is important, but we don't seem to be willing to make the sacrifices needed to make it safe. Most of the studies that suggested in person schooling is 'safe' were done during times of low community transmission, which is definitely not where we are at. If we really cared about this we should be clamoring for closing bars, limiting large gatherings, mask mandates, and limiting in-person dining. We aren't even willing to mandate masks for high school aged kids.

I wouldn't say the idea that in-person schooling does not contribute to community outbreaks, and I will include a tweet thread outlining some of that data. I haven't looked at it in depth, but it is enough to bring things into question. One last thing that has been on my mind: what has lead to the significant decrease in cases in Iowa over the past few weeks? The rest of the country is continuing to have a rise in case rates, but ours has decreased. We didn't seem to do much to mitigate things outside of making a lot of schools virtual, and I wonder if that has helped with our downtrend, and I don't think closing bars at 10 was enough to drive the downtrend.

Reactions: Tom Paris
No. No visitors allowed on campus. Ever. That’s the first thing that gets shut down. Temperatures taken at drop off before they step into the school. Random temperature checks between class where students are released from classes staggered to prevent hallway crowding. It can be done. Pretty easily actually. I’m seeing it happen.

Sure but that’s not happening everywhere. Reynolds is big on saying do this, but offering few suggestions about how.

Reactions: Tom Paris
So funny to see people try to make some important scientific sounding point, only to base it on, “well, I think it’s due to this...but probably not that”.
”did some of this...but, probably not enough of that. So, that’s why...”
lol. Yeah, ok.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Businesses have employees working from home, while also trying to be a teacher and possible daycare provider.

Work from home, only really works, if the necessary support systems (schools and child care) are in place.

There are over 12,000 students missing New Mexico school system as of middle of fall. Students have not been able to physically attend since March. The long term effects will be interesting to see which states were successful.

Evidently my house is an outlier. We have a fourth grader in IC that did the hybrid model while it was offered and has been virtual when not. She is doing very well considering the circumstances. We have stepped up our routine of reviewing her work every night, and found a University student that was willing to come to our house for a few hours a week to go over math for the price of a baby sitter. It's been pretty amazing to watch her develop skills that I saw adults struggle with for months. We went into the year knowing it wasn't going to be perfect, and decided to focus on getting her excited about a new way of learning and taking on some responsibilities that are way ahead of the "normal" timeline of a 9 year old.

Overall it's not great, but I am actually pretty satisfied with how her teachers and school are handling things.

Most everyone has the capability to work full time, and still be fully involved in your kids education, L. wade. I know it requires a little sacrifice and some effort which is obviously too much to ask of most of you.

ill get back to you later, mr. customer. I am currently teaching math.

Evidently my house is an outlier. We have a fourth grader in IC that did the hybrid model while it was offered and has been virtual when not. She is doing very well considering the circumstances. We have stepped up our routine of reviewing her work every night, and found a University student that was willing to come to our house for a few hours a week to go over math for the price of a baby sitter. It's been pretty amazing to watch her develop skills that I saw adults struggle with for months. We went into the year knowing it wasn't going to be perfect, and decided to focus on getting her excited about a new way of learning and taking on some responsibilities that are way ahead of the "normal" timeline of a 9 year old.

Overall it's not great, but I am actually pretty satisfied with how her teachers and school are handling things.

my kids havent been in school one day since march and they have no desire to go back. our kids love virtual school and they have really thrived because we set our lives around their school work. I realize we are outliers too because most parents wont do what is necessary for their kids to succeed or they lack the ability.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT