ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble brewing in Ames. Caleb Grill kicked off team

If the incident in question is mental health related, why not silently remove him from games and get him the help he needs, while just saying he's injured?
If the incident in question isn't mental health related, and is against team guidelines, then they're handling it as they should.
Agree, if it was mental health, maybe they could have used his back as an excuse to just give him the break and support he needs. Hope that's all in play for him.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Rumor is that Caleb dropped the N bomb while engaged in a heated conversation with an ISU assistant. I’ll let those closer to the situation confirm or deny those rumors.

• Wow
Reactions: redbirdhawk
Look at the time here dope. Nobody made fun of his mental illness, some were joking before his announcement, and after he was kicked off. Stop being so dramatic.
Exactly.......drama-queen Clownie just looking to vent some anger due to their end of season melt-down. I would be frustrated too if the Hawks dropped from a potential #3 seed to a bubble team, but wouldn't go throw a hissy fit on CryClown Fanatic.

Has ANYONE actually read his statement? It says nothing about why he was kicked off. It says nothing implying a mental health issue.

ETA: my bad, I only saw the first four text pictures

Exactly.......drama-queen Clownie just looking to vent some anger due to their end of season melt-down. I would be frustrated too if the Hawks dropped from a potential #3 seed to a bubble team, but wouldn't go throw a hissy fit on CryClown Fanatic.
Clone fans built different.

It's not a mental health issue because Oodleberger would be getting obliterated from a pr standpoint for kicking him off the team instead of helping him get assistance.

This is clearly an internal issue and it's not a coincidence that it comes in the middle of a total team collapse. I suspect there is palpable tension in the locker room.

Maybe TJ is looking for a scapegoat? But it's definitely related to what happened at the end of the WVU game.
Maybe there's some competition between Oodleberger and Fennelly to see who has the biggest collapse this season?
Ames Community College is always drama.

Last edited:
Hopefully the Clowns can hold it together.

6_MJ_Laughing.jpg
1-7 in their last 8 games. Hoping they can stay on that course. May be headed to an 11th seed play-in game at this rate. And Caleb Grill is a dumbass, I suppose back to Vegas then for him? Derp.

Last edited:
He said in his statement that he said something he regrets that for him kicked off the team. He very much implied what he said was related to his mental health. Also says in his statement that he thought about ending his life.
He may have implied what he said was related to his mental health as it would make what he said not look said not look as bad. Obviously the coach thought what he said was bad enough to warrant getting kicked off the team.

Reactions: Bro D
If it’s a mental health issue and he said something very regrettable due to that mental health issue this looks very bad on TJ for kicking him off the team and not getting him the help he needs.

I’d be more worried about your coach and why he kicked him off the team instead of what a few posters here are saying. Bad look on ISU.

This may be a hot take, but mental health doesn't excuse bad behavior IMO. It may explain poor behavior, but it certainly doesn't justify poor behavior.

Just as you would make a physically injured player sit out, if an athlete is lashing out at teammates because of mental health then he should be asked to take a break from the game. HOWEVER, if mental health was the real issue here, I don't see why TJ didn't just make Grill take an indefinite leave (i.e. Patrick).

The fact that Grill got outright dismissed obviously shapes my opinions about what really is going on here.

This may be a hot take, but mental health doesn't excuse bad behavior IMO. It may explain poor behavior, but it certainly doesn't justify poor behavior.

Just as you would make a physically injured player sit out, if an athlete is lashing out at teammates because of mental health then he should be asked to take a break from the game. HOWEVER, if mental health was the real issue here, I don't see why TJ didn't just make Grill take an indefinite leave (i.e. Patrick).

The fact that Grill got outright dismissed obviously shapes my opinions about what really is going on here.

As an individual who has dealt with a family member with BPD/NPD I can say that the sad part about mental health issues is there comes a point and time that you must cut ties for your own well being.

Not sure that is the case in Ames, but your point that mental health issues may explain behavior but it doesn't justify that behavior is spot on. You should never put up with abuse from anyone, regardless of their mental health.

Last edited:

As someone who is among the many with them, I agree a billion percent on your first paragraph!!!

My ex Samantha has bipolar and probably other issue's. She hit me, beat me, stabbed me, etc. Got a domestic violence charge against her and that was well deserved but with bipolar I've seen how an anger related outburst can be as offensive as the person doing it can make it. They aren't in control and it is the mental health problem controlling what comes out of that person's mouth. I'm not saying anything about Grill and don't even know if bipolar is part of his diagnosis but even with a racial slur there has to be help made available to the young man and a plan to help him get his life together. My ex wouldn't take her meds so after way to much abuse i left but if Grill has bipolar and if he lost control due to that particular illness he should be helped and nor just kicked to the curb. Jmo and am making a lot of ifs and other possible situations that may or may not be accurate. But just felt the need to add some to the mental health thing and being in control of your speech. I also have no idea what happened, what he's struggling with, and if they are still offering help with his mental health if that is an issue.

I think it is a good take, and the truth is that at this point none of us really knows what happened. Comparing this to Patrick may be off-target. Patrick, had anxiety issues, probably increased by playing D-1 basketball games. Perhaps he felt he wasn't helping the team given his situation and he asked for some time off to deal with it. His behavior was unlikely impacting the team in a negative way. Seems a logical and correct response. I don't know what Grill's issues are, but it seems likely they did have a negative impact on the teams unity and feelings about him. Its different from what Patrick was going thru, still sad but maybe you can't just sit back and pretend things are ok and let him stay on the team. From what I have seen TJ has been a big supporter of Grill and so it must have been a tough choice but was probably the correct one for the team. Hopefully Grill gets better and things are better with the team. Sad situation regardless.

I think it is a good take, and the truth is that at this point none of us really knows what happened. Comparing this to Patrick may be off-target. Patrick, had anxiety issues, probably increased by playing D-1 basketball games. Perhaps he felt he wasn't helping the team given his situation and he asked for some time off to deal with it. His behavior was unlikely impacting the team in a negative way. Seems a logical and correct response. I don't know what Grill's issues are, but it seems likely they did have a negative impact on the teams unity and feelings about him. Its different from what Patrick was going thru, still sad but maybe you can't just sit back and pretend things are ok and let him stay on the team. From what I have seen TJ has been a big supporter of Grill and so it must have been a tough choice but was probably the correct one for the team. Hopefully Grill gets better and things are better with the team. Sad situation regardless.
I'm just surprised with their history that if mental health was an issue then a suspension and getting him help seems like more sense unless the rest of the team has really turned on Grill. I'm not nosey but i really want to know exactly what the whole situation was and how everything went down. Maybe i am nosey.

I'm just surprised with their history that if mental health was an issue then a suspension and getting him help seems like more sense unless the rest of the team has really turned on Grill. I'm not nosey but i really want to know exactly what the whole situation was and how everything went down. Maybe i am nosey.
Maybe Oodleberger had one of those famous "team meetings" and Grill was voted off the island?

• Haha
Reactions: Bishop1971
If the incident in question is mental health related, why not silently remove him from games and get him the help he needs, while just saying he's injured?
If the incident in question isn't mental health related, and is against team guidelines, then they're handling it as they should.

I agree and with just one regular season game left, at least one conf tourney game, and at least one post season game, why not just suspend him or have him not dress.

I would say it must have been pretty bad whatever happened to get kicked off.

I agree and with just one regular season game left, at least one conf tourney game, and at least one post season game, why not just suspend him or have him not dress.

I would say it must have been pretty bad whatever happened to get kicked off.
So sad there isn't a knowledgeable isu insider who would share the info.

That presser today in Ames looked like something an eighth grade class would assemble for a school project.
Truly amateur hour, complete with background noises, right outside the mens' bathroom, a coughing HC fumbling for an explanation, and not detailing why someone with issues wouldn't be suspended first.

ISU continues to be an embarrassment to this State and the Big12.

Pollard really has shown that the Clones sports' teams are not ready for prime time.

That presser today in Ames looked like something an eighth grade class would assemble for a school project.
Truly amateur hour, complete with background noises, right outside the mens' bathroom, a coughing HC fumbling for an explanation, and not detailing why someone with issues wouldn't be suspended first.

ISU continues to be an embarrassment to this State and the Big12.

Pollard really has shown that the Clones sports' teams are not ready for prime time.

It wasn't a press conference. It was media availability, and that's what these always look like at every school.

Reactions: Sprad
Almost all the comments on this board were in support of Patrick & his issues. As our resident expert, please provide examples otherwise.

"Patrick got nothing but support from both staff & fans at Iowa…..as it should be."

Two different statements. But you are are correct, most / almost all were pretty supportive.

Reactions: MitchLL
Rumor is that Caleb dropped the N bomb while engaged in a heated conversation with an ISU assistant. I’ll let those closer to the situation confirm or deny those rumors.
So many lies on this board. Listen to the Iowa Everywhere podcast with Chris Hassel from yesterday. No racial slurs. He’s still a student at ISU and has access to all the help he needs. He’s not sleeping with any coaches wives.

This board is a cesspool.

Reactions: mtown66
Chris Willams podcast with Chris Hassell he said not racial. Ongoing issue internally that came to head.

Chris Willams podcast with Chris Hassell he said not racial. Ongoing issue internally that came to head.
One thing i find interesting if it was truly on going. Wouldn’t a suspension for a game or 2 happen first instead of being kicked off the team? Sure bet could’ve been some internal discipline but just seems odd. I think that’s why lot of speculation of some outburst.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT