ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble in Paradise?

Tony is/will be on staff with Koll. Koll actually tried to hire him on at Stanford.

Tony has never had a problem with Terry. Very specifically Tom - but he has said that they've since made up.
Thanks for the perspective. You seem to have connections and access to major players in the wrestling community…

• Haha
Reactions: MSU158 and vhsalum
I'll add a maybe.

Maybe Nelson was making bets under an account Terry or his mom set up for him??
No way in hell that happened with Terry on the account. There is little doubt, that kind of stuff leads to termination.

It certainly isn't a good look for a coach's son to have been caught up in this. I can see where behind closed doors discussions of getting a fresh start somewhere else could have occurred.

There's a lot of maybes in this thread.

I'll add a maybe.

Would be pretty stupid but we are all humans and make stupid decisions almost on the daily.
If that was the case, Nelson would have been charged with a crime like the other athletes who did something similar.

There's a lot of maybes in this thread.

I'll add a maybe.

Would be pretty stupid but we are all humans and make stupid decisions almost on the daily.
He wasn't charged with the tampering/underage gambling situation. His deal is strictly with the NCAA.

One of our most recognizable and accomplished figure in our wrestling program actively looking to leave.
Is this “part of the plan”?
How does Penn st have multiple ncaa and world champs and accomplished coaches in one program for years and we can’t manage egos or whatever it is to keep our guys here?

One of our most recognizable and accomplished figure in our wrestling program actively looking to leave.
How does Penn st have multiple ncaa and world champs and accomplished coaches in one program for years and we can’t manage egos or whatever it is to keep our guys here?

Are you talking about Terry?

yea, terry, our word champ looking to leave.
But also, we couldn’t keep Kemerer, Gilman, Ramos,

Maybe Terry wants to be a head coach somewhere and run his own program? I'll give you Gilman and Ramos leaving with hard feelings but Kemerer leaving is amicable and fits in to his overall goals post wrestling. If he decides to stay in the sport, it's healthy to get other coaching and program perspectives.

Maybe Terry wants to be a head coach somewhere and run his own program? I'll give you Gilman and Ramos leaving with hard feelings but Kemerer leaving is amicable and fits in to his overall goals post wrestling. If he decides to stay in the sport, it's healthy to get other coaching and program perspectives.
Zadick did not seem thrilled either.

Reactions: vhsalum
To say we can't manage egos or whatever to keep our guys here, in direct reference to keeping Terry Brands here is a bit of a stretch. He has been a coach at Iowa for many many many years. We've kept him here a long time.

how do we change that and make our guys feel it’s in their best interest to stay in iowa city if they want to progress in their career.

Here’s where Cael really excels. He talks his guys into thinking his way. Few Examples.
1) Nolf is happy even after bringing in Dake.
That happens in iowa city, all hell breaks loose.
2) convinced RBY to come back a dozen times
3) convinced Zain to commit to psu without taking his Iowa visit.
Etc…
What we needed here.
1) convince Jesuroga to take a year break than come compete for iowa than join the seals.
2) convince Ben to commit to wrestling full time.
3) convince Perry to lay roots and stay
4) Convince our guys that sports betting is a no no.
Etc….

Reactions: BGon4ND
It's possible that the pundits have this backwards. Lots of people speculating that Terry is interested in leaving because of some shortcoming of his...no one raising a question of whether Iowa administration has acted with full integrity toward student athletes (and whether its possible Terry would depart over of that type of behavior). Do the penalties levied against athletes align with the degree of infraction?

Reactions: el dub and BGon4ND
how do we change that and make our guys feel it’s in their best interest to stay in iowa city if they want to progress in their career.

Here’s where Cael really excels. He talks his guys into thinking his way. Few Examples.
Etc…
What we needed here.
1) convince Jesuroga to take a year break than come compete for iowa than join the seals.
Etc….
#2 is completely unrealistic. The guy is an exceptional athlete and wants to play football. Take that away and he may go somewhere else. Instead I give both staffs credit to letting it play out.

#2 is completely unrealistic. The guy is an exceptional athlete and wants to play football. Take that away and he may go somewhere else. Instead I give both staffs credit to letting it play out.
Maybe so.
How did Michigan convince Parris to go wrestling full time? Worked out pretty good for them btw.

Reactions: BGon4ND
Maybe so.
How did Michigan convince Parris to go wrestling full time? Worked out pretty good for them btw.
Did Parris even have an offer to play football at Michigan? Yes he was a very good hs player but I don't think his talent level in football was near what it is in wrestling. Keuter is elite in both. if he isn't I'm sure he will figure which sport is best for him.

Reactions: el dub
They go hand in hand.
Tommy Callaghan’s dad could sell a ketchup popsickle to a woman in white gloves.
All about how you frame it and of course the product has to be good too.
They don't go hand in hand and your story is one of deceit. You first have to make the place to actually BE in their best interest to stay before you "convince" them to stay. Oh, if it's actually in their best interest to stay you'll have a new problem in that they will all want to stay.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub

Etc…
What we needed here.
Etc….
Perry leaving was a good thing because that was a disaster for Iowa just waiting to happen.

so posters are using terry maybe putting in for the n c job to bring out their own grievences, knowing not related.

giphy.gif

Did Parris even have an offer to play football at Michigan? Yes he was a very good hs player but I don't think his talent level in football was near what it is in wrestling. Keuter is elite in both. if he isn't I'm sure he will figure which sport is best for him.
Paris had mostly mid major offers. If he had an offer from Michigan he would have likely just played football.

so posters are using terry maybe putting in for the n c job to bring out their own grievences, knowing not related.
Losing Terry Brands would be devastating to the program at this point.
Spencer will probably wrestle another Olympic cycle after 2024 so no go on him.
I admit, I’ve been down on the program with the moving pieces these last few years.
I don’t see us winning a natty outside of a duel natty for several years unless we start putting the pieces in place now, in the off season.
“We have a plan”
I’m just too impatient to see the plan unfold I guess.
Right when it feels like the pieces are finally coming together, something internal seems to come up.
SMH

Reactions: Inthecircle
Losing Terry Brands would be devastating to the program at this point.
Spencer will probably wrestle another Olympic cycle after 2024 so no go on him.
I admit, I’ve been down on the program with the moving pieces these last few years.
I don’t see us winning a natty outside of a duel natty for several years unless we start putting the pieces in place now, in the off season.
“We have a plan”
I’m just too impatient to see the plan unfold I guess.
Right when it feels like the pieces are finally coming together, something internal seems to come up.
SMH
Yet you spout and criticize about situations you have no clue what you're talking about.

Reactions: HawkeyePA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT