ADVERTISEMENT

Two Deeps/Game Notes for Iowa vs. Penn State

I think the last freshman to start a game at OT was Reiff at PSU in 2009. Now, Homer or some other poster with a better memory can tell us if he was a true FR or a RSFR.

Edit - bulaga was hurt if I recall
Yep, in the early season, Bulaga had the whole thyroid concern in '09. Consequently, Reiff came in and started at LT for those early games. Once Bulaga returned, Reiff shifted over to OG and started the rest of the season. And as others stated, Reiff was a redshirt freshman.

"Started at OT" " OT = offensive tackle. I guess I didn't realize James played offensive tackle as a FR. I thought he played OG. There have been several that played OG as a true FR.
I am pretty sure he tried to play right tackle some as a true Frosh. I can't remember who we had atctackles if the top of my head, but they got hurt late in the season and they tried James out there. Didn't go to well, so they pushed Welsh out to tackle and put James at guard. I believe that ended up being the line for the bowl game then?

Not really surprising with how well he played on Saturday when Gervase was benched. Would have been very disappointed if they moved him back to 2nd string after that performance. Taylor better watch his back as his play has been the biggest disappointment this season.
Taylor didn't play well last year. He seems to have regressed since his first couple years. I think we are going to miss Snyder more than I originally thought.

Reactions: David1979
I am pretty sure he tried to play right tackle some as a true Frosh. I can't remember who we had atctackles if the top of my head, but they got hurt late in the season and they tried James out there. Didn't go to well, so they pushed Welsh out to tackle and put James at guard. I believe that ended up being the line for the bowl game then?
Due to injuries we DID end up seeing Daniels play a big hunk of a game at RT. For some reason, I'm wanting to think that it was the '15 Illinois game. It was a game where Ike went out due to injury.

Taylor didn't play well last year. He seems to have regressed since his first couple years. I think we are going to miss Snyder more than I originally thought.
In '15, Taylor had a great leader and teammate in Lomax help direct him and help him prep. Lomax was an exceedingly bright and detail-oriented guy. The next year, that crutch was no longer there for him. This year, I think the jury is still out. Like many have said, he needs to still play fast ... but he needs to wrap-up when he tackles guys. We're still seeing too many missed tackles.

Last edited:
Reactions: David1979
Due to injuries we DID end up seeing Daniels play a big hunk of a game at RT. For some reason, I'm wanting to think that it was the '15 Illinois game. It was a game where Ike went out due to injury.

Daniels' Iowa bio says "saw action at both guard and tackle in 29-20 win over Illinois as offense rushed for 278 yards and gained 478 yards total offense". That is the only mention of him playing tackle in his bio.

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=380

In '05, Taylor had a great leader and teammate in Lomax help direct him and help him prep. Lomax was an exceedingly bright and detail-oriented guy. The next year, that crutch was no longer there for him. This year, I think the jury is still out. Like many have said, he needs to still play fast ... but he needs to wrap-up when he tackles guys. We're still seeing too many missed tackles.
In 05? I didn't realize Taylor has been around that long...;)

Anyone think by the end of the year it may be Miles Taylor that is sitting. Maybe Gervase is being groomed to take over at SS

I think he may be getting groomed to play either position as a great backup to Hooker and Synder next year. Then again we seem high on Stone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT