ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrese Hunter in transfer portal official

I'm fine with the transfer portal and the free agency it gives to athletes, but this notion that you can transfer from school to school and not have to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility or take a redshirt year certainly has to end. Surely this will have to cease and only hardship cases would be eligible right away, correct?
I think someone posted elsewhere that you only get one ‘free’ transfer, but it does seem to be getting out of control - seems like Charlie Moore played for 6 different programs?!?!

Didn't either Ohio or Alabama have a HS kid coming in and he was given a huge NIL. By the first of 2nd game he was no longer the starter and the NIL got pulled. Something like this happened I am pretty sure.
that might have been the OSU QB who then transferred after one year

You mean like what mid-majors have been like for years to power conference programs? Iowa hasn't necessarily taken advantage of it, but Iowa St sure has--they're one of the pioneer programs of poaching mid major and disgruntled high major players. I just find it funny that there was never outrage from their side when it benefitted them, but now that Blue Bloods are poaching power conference players it's suddenly this huge issue. I'm not a Drake or UNI fan necessarily, but they've certainly been victims to this kind of thing for a while now.
You left out Haluska.

You know, the thought has recently occurred to me that P5 teams who are able to maintain the best stability should be better off than those teams who throw a bunch of random players together from one year to the next. I know that’s a Captain Obvious statement, but assuming Kris comes back, look at the players who will be entering at least their third year or more at Iowa:

PMac
CMac
Kris
Perkins
Ulis

IMO, that’s pretty significant.
Only to a point. Talent trumps experience when you have a huge talent gap.

You throw the top rated recruit at every position on a single team and they'll probably fair pretty well.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
You mean like what mid-majors have been like for years to power conference programs? Iowa hasn't necessarily taken advantage of it, but Iowa St sure has--they're one of the pioneer programs of poaching mid major and disgruntled high major players. I just find it funny that there was never outrage from their side when it benefitted them, but now that Blue Bloods are poaching power conference players it's suddenly this huge issue. I'm not a Drake or UNI fan necessarily, but they've certainly been victims to this kind of thing for a while now.
DeVries and Drake have managed very well in the portal. Lost Robbins, which certainly hurt along with Yesefu but they’ve won way more than they’ve lost. Hemphill, Norton, Brodie, just to name a few. You need to know how to play in it. Simple as that.

Only to a point. Talent trumps experience when you have a huge talent gap.

You throw the top rated recruit at every position on a single team and they'll probably fair pretty well.
Haven’t Duke and Kentucky already been doing this the last 15 years? Duke has 4 possibly 5 1st round picks this year. Still didn’t win.

Reactions: SB_SB
DeVries and Drake have managed very well in the portal. Lost Robbins, which certainly hurt along with Yesefu but they’ve won way more than they’ve lost. Hemphill, Norton, Brodie, just to name a few. You need to know how to play in it. Simple as that.
How did Yesefu do at Kans?

Not sure if those results show drake coming out ahead

Iowa State went out and recruited players already in the portal that, like it or not, we’re kicked off their former team, needed changes of scenery, or wanted playing time. They were in the portal long before ISU contact.

This feels more like actively recruiting or throwing money at a perfectly (seemingly) content player. This is just… awful.
There were several rumors back in the day to ISU coaches/players tampering well before some Marquette and MSU players were even in the portal. You abused the situation to make your team better, this is Karma.

I think someone posted elsewhere that you only get one ‘free’ transfer, but it does seem to be getting out of control - seems like Charlie Moore played for 6 different programs?!?!
Yep he and Coleman-Lands both played for 4 different schools. Rules are now you can transfer once and not sit out a year. If you transfer again you have to sit a year. However if you are a grad transfer then you don't have to sit if you go to your 3rd school. Which sadly I think we are going to see more and more kids play at 3 schools as grad transfer then we saw before.

Not sure if those results show drake coming out ahead
Norton and Hemphill were both going to be all conference players before they’re injuries. And I forgot about Roman Penn who has been huge for Drake. Transfer from Siena by the way. Also all conference. @IamHawkeye we all know Yesefu was buried on the bench at KU. Not sure what the point is. He was a 6th man at Drake. Grass isn’t always greener. Sometimes yes, sometimes no right?

ISU is gonna end up getting a net positive from Hunter to AJ Green
I'm going to disagree. Besides outside shooting Hunter is better than Green in a lot more aspects especially on the defensive side. Big 12 freshman of the year and he wasn't the #1 option playing behind Brockington. Put Hunter in the MVC he puts up monster #s last year. Don't get me wrong Green is good and I'd take him on Iowa's roster but think upside to Hunter is much higher and he's a PG who makes everyone around him better by his play making ability to create shots for others.

IMO Iowa and universities that are similar will just be training programs for players to transfer out of to the so-called elite teams. If Bowen blows up (or any other underclassman) next year do not be surprised if he enters portal in 2023.
Heck, we've already seen that. A couple of years ago, Kansas needed an outside shooter. Suddenly, Moss decides to transfer to Lawrence. Coincidence? Unfortunately, Moss wasn't really the answer they were looking for, and in some ways, it helped Iowa by getting him off the roster so there would be more minutes for Fredrick, who in turn, was recruited by Kentucky.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I am talking about what the NBA scouts said. right...
Yeah, little missed that one. It cracks me up that people are going to pretend that there wasn't tampering going on, even if it is his dad talking to him. I don't care, but it's exactly what ISU fans are crying about.

Yeah, little missed that one. It cracks me up that people are going to pretend that there wasn't tampering going on, even if it is his dad talking to him. I don't care, but it's exactly what ISU fans are crying about.
Especially given the ISU HC's history with hiring to get recruits. I wonder how long Green's dad will have a job at ISU...

You had to go back TWO DECADES to make that point?!? Didn't we give you back Alex Thompson in return?
Hawks also got Tom Norman in the 70's. Norman helped Hawks win their last Big Ten regular season title. Haluska helped Hawks win BTT. Who knows what title next Cyclone transfer will help Hawks win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT