ADVERTISEMENT

***US Soccer***

I've missed most of this and it looks like that's a good thing. They don't even look like they are aware that they are losing the game. Zero sense of urgency by the US team right here and they don't seem to have any idea of what they want to do.
They looked utterly lifeless and disjointed all night. Not sure they really had one good stretch of sustained possession to build something.

kudos to panama though, they played a better game and needed it more.

not a killer loss, but need a W vs Costa Rica next.

Reactions: Dorrman
They looked utterly lifeless and disjointed all night. Not sure they really had one good stretch of sustained possession to build something.

kudos to panama though, they played a better game and needed it more.

not a killer loss, but need a W vs Costa Rica next.

Was there an explanation on the lineup? I'm seriously disappointed in that performance. It's like we punted.

Was there an explanation on the lineup? I'm seriously disappointed in that performance. It's like we punted.
Weston and Antonee were left behind with minor injuries, the rest was simple squad rotation I think with the condensed schedule. i didn’t hate the starting lineup, they just had no energy at all, and that’s tough to overcome.

Looked like crap all game. Lucky it wasn’t 2-0. Lifeless and lackluster.

Weston and Antonee were left behind with minor injuries, the rest was simple squad rotation I think with the condensed schedule. i didn’t hate the starting lineup, they just had no energy at all, and that’s tough to overcome.
I didn't know about Weston but Robinson nor Steffen could come because they would have to sit out two weeks when they got back to England because Panama is a Red Zone country for COVID.

I don't even know what I want but it wasn't a 1-0 loss to Panama. It does set up another must win at home vs a desperate Costa Rica team.

I didn't know about Weston but Robinson nor Steffen could come because they would have to sit out two weeks when they got back to England because Panama is a Red Zone country for COVID.

I don't even know what I want but it wasn't a 1-0 loss to Panama. It does set up another must win at home vs a desperate Costa Rica team.
Thought Antonee was out for a sore knee, but either way…

Missed opportunity for guys like Bello and McKenzie to make their marks. LB depth remains a concern for me.

Thought Antonee was out for a sore knee, but either way…

Missed opportunity for guys like Bello and McKenzie to make their marks. LB depth remains a concern for me.

Absolutely, LB continues to be a concern.

You may be correct on Jedi being dinged but I knew they couldn't go anyway. If you look at the lineups it shows that Steffen didn't go.

I am starting to wonder if it is maybe time to put Stef in for a game. The corner was very poorly defended. Not his fault but I watched the corners and he didn't look sharp.

Only fell to #2 on the table with Canada having another draw, Costa Rica did get a win at home over El Salvador and Mexico smacked Honduras (who is just about out of this thing.)

There wasn't even a fight to try to score on Panama. It had the energy of a Sunday park league game. USMNT had 0 shots on goal. The team laid a 💩 on this one.

Again...I dont get that. Guys are playing for roster spots, right?

Well...besides Turner...tonights team can all go home.

Again...I dont get that. Guys are playing for roster spots, right?

Well...besides Turner...tonights team can all go home.
Not sure I would go THAT far, but for sure, guys fighting for starting spots didnt do themselves any favors tonight.

more than anything else, I was disappointed by the poor effort. anyone can have a rough night where the ball just doesn’t bounce their way. Tonight was just poor effort, everything was disjointed, and no one tried to step up.

there’s always at least one dumb result seemingly every WCQ cycle, and with Canada only getting a point tonight, it doesn’t immediately hurt us a ton, as long as we bounce back vs Costa Rica.

Not sure I would go THAT far, but for sure, guys fighting for starting spots didnt do themselves any favors tonight.

more than anything else, I was disappointed by the poor effort. anyone can have a rough night where the ball just doesn’t bounce their way. Tonight was just poor effort, everything was disjointed, and no one tried to step up.

there’s always at least one dumb result seemingly every WCQ cycle, and with Canada only getting a point tonight, it doesn’t immediately hurt us a ton, as long as we bounce back vs Costa Rica.

I think if we have the full team available such as Pulisic, Reyna, Brooks, Ream etc you could say several of those guys are on the roster bubble.

as a team performance, as frustrating as sunday was, T&T was worse. Veteran squad, WC berth on the line, and most of the team played like crap.

I don’t say this to excuse anyone, because they’re all professionals and they should know better; but there are some mitigating reasons at work here. Very young/inexperienced squad - few have been threw WCQ qualifying, part on the road before, it’s just different than a friendly or in the US. It’s less than halfway thru qualifying, squad is in a good place so they didn’t have the same urgency they had vs Jamaica, etc.

none of which is to say we and they shouldn’t expect better, but it’s at least semi-understandable. And at least if we’re going to drop a game, better to do it now when we still have time to make up for it. Win tomorrow and 11 points after 6 games leaves us well-positioned for down the road.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I thought letting the officials make the play for you is something you learned not to do back in the elementary school city leagues. A completely inexcusable goal. No way they should have scored there. Terrible effort.

Can someone give a quick breakdown of where we are at and what do we need to qualify for the WC? I'm admittedly out of it this yr, so does a loss or draw mean we're out, or are we still hanging in to qualify?

Can someone give a quick breakdown of where we are at and what do we need to qualify for the WC? I'm admittedly out of it this yr, so does a loss or draw mean we're out, or are we still hanging in to qualify?
We are in second right now but it's too early to say what they need to do to qualify beyond "get points in every match and win most of them".

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
There are eight teams, and everyone plays the other seven home and away. This is the 6th of the 14 games, so not life or death. But, NEVER want to lose a home game, and strongly prefer winning them.

We are in second right now but it's too early to say what they need to do to qualify beyond "get points in every match and win most of them".
Ok thanks. In reading up on it, it says that we are in the final match for Oct qualifying, but it sounds like there are more qualifying rounds later on? Kinda confusing at first glance, so I just want to know if a loss here will send us back home like last WC.

Ok thanks. In reading up on it, it says that we are in the final match for Oct qualifying, but it sounds like there are more qualifying rounds later on? Kinda confusing at first glance, so I just want to know if a loss here will send us back home like last WC.
Yeah, they play a home and home with every team in the octagonal. So that's 14 games I believe. This will be game 6.

Not yet. Two more windows. I think January and March.

Dangit. I liked what they tried to do on that penalty shot though. I get tired of the standard shot over the wall and over the goal that you see 95% of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT