ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: If you were a voter, would you vote Ethan Happ 1st Team All B1G?

If you were a voter, would you vote Ethan Happ 1st Team All B1G?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Honestly, he and Megan Gustafson are very similar except she can shoot free throws.

2nd currently on Kenpom for POY. But, sure, definitely not 1st team all B1G worthy. Shaq doesn’t deserve to be in the Hall of Fame either. This is plain weird.
So, you can't think for yourself & let Ken think for you?

Are 1st team all B1G players benched when games are decided? What's plain weird is that your answer is yes because Ken says "yes."

If you are 1st team all B1G, you are on the floor for your team during crunch time. Happ, however, was on the bench while the game was being decided. He could not be trusted to make a free throw.

There are plenty of talented players in the B1G who are worthy of 1st Team All B1G. Happ does not belong this year. 2nd team? Sure. 1st team? No way.

I think its weird people use Happ’s name in the same sentence as Shaq.

One was a true beast and worthy of comparison to the all time greats, the other isnt even on the same level as Collison or LaFrentz.

Point was made that he should be not be 1st team because of free throw shooting.

Happ's numbers 18.4 points 10.5 rebounds, and 4.8 assists per game. Would you keep him off the first team because of free throw shooting?

Point was made that he should be not be 1st team because of free throw shooting.

Happ's numbers 18.4 points 10.5 rebounds, and 4.8 assists per game. Would you keep him off the first team because of free throw shooting?
Not correct.

He should not be 1st team because he is benched during crunch time.

You don't bench 1st team all B1G players during crunch time.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I think its weird people use Happ’s name in the same sentence as Shaq.

One was a true beast and worthy of comparison to the all time greats, the other isnt even on the same level as Collison or LaFrentz.
And Happ dipped his toes in the NBA like Cook and the feedback he was given convinced him to come back for his senior year.

So, you can't think for yourself & let Ken think for you?

Are 1st team all B1G players benched when games are decided? What's plain weird is that your answer is yes because Ken says "yes."

If you are 1st team all B1G, you are on the floor for your team during crunch time. Happ, however, was on the bench while the game was being decided. He could not be trusted to make a free throw.

There are plenty of talented players in the B1G who are worthy of 1st Team All B1G. Happ does not belong this year. 2nd team? Sure. 1st team? No way.

Fran, when I disagree with you I generally just let it go because you become very combative, you’re never wrong, and start hurling insults around. I can, and always do, think for myself. I used Ken’s numbers as reinforcements for my own thoughts. If you don’t think 18 pts 10 rebs and 5 assists per game merits 1st team all B1G because he’s a poor free throw shooter....well, we will have to agree to disagree.

Edit the absolute worst poster on this site after that EH shouldn’t be first team all B1G. That’s all you need to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: FranklinHawk
Fran, when I disagree with you I generally just let it go because you become very combative, you’re never wrong, and start hurling insults around. I can, and always do, think for myself. I used Ken’s numbers as reinforcements for my own thoughts. If you don’t think 18 pts 10 rebs and 5 assists per game merits 1st team all B1G because hers a poor free throw shooter....well, we will have to agree to disagree.
I simply pointed out that you are using Ken's eye balls and not your own.

Again, its not all about the FT's.

If he is going to be 1st team all B1G, he is on the court during crunch time. Instead, he gets benched. I don't know how you can't see that. But then again, you are using Ken's eye balls and now your own.

Happ's FT weakness is so glaring, that I think OP brings up interesting consideration.

The guy flat out SUCKS from the charity stripe. He's currently missed ten in a row from the line.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Forget hacking him late in the game. At the rate he is missing, teams shouldn’t allow him to even attempt a FG until every player has 4 fouls.

Reactions: 3boysmom
This poll is more divided than I thought it would be, with some pretty knowledgeable posters on either side. I guess it’s just a matter of your criteria

To me it’s a no-doubt yes. Without Happ, Wisconsin is a mediocre to below average Big Ten team, and more often than not, not even in a position where “Hack-a-Happ” would be a factor. I can overlook his miserable free throw shooting for 18 and 10. If he gives you 25-30 minutes and has to spend the last 5 on the bench, so be it.

Happ's FT weakness is so glaring, that I think OP brings up interesting consideration.

The guy flat out SUCKS from the charity stripe. He's currently missed ten in a row from the line.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Yeah his FT shooting is so bad what is shocking is that opponents didn't make it a big deal before some recent teams did. By that, I mean he should be fouled automatically anytime the game is close in the last 5 minutes. Iowa should have fouled him several times late in the Iowa-Wisconsin game, but he made a huge layup and then kickout for a 3 to give Badgers the lead in that game. His FT shooting is so bad that even in the first half of games teams should put in a deep reserve to just foul him every time he gets the ball.

He's a very good player, but the FT shooting has obviously gone to his head.

Happ is a very good player, but his FT issues are too glaring of a problem. If there isn't another 5 in the B1G who is better than Happ, well, the B1G is overrated.

Happ is a one trick pony,... Can't control the ball and can't make free throws,... I'm sure he will be a great insurance salesman....

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Since Shaq was brought up, and the HOF mentioned, is/was he worth anything if he wasn't the giant of a person he was?
By that I mean did he do what he did simply because of his size. Did he really have HOF basketball talent or just HOF size that allowed him to shove/body/back-in his way to where he got? It's not like you ever heard "he's a great shooter from 6' in". Yes, there's a little of the "would Jordan have been as dominant as he was if he wasn't as athletic as he was?", but hopefully the adults will understand the point of the question here.

This was a discussion recently in a group after one of his commercials came on.

He's absolutely a first team all B1G selection.

Not even in question. The fact that we have a thread about this is sort of embarrassing.

Reactions: owenhawk
I voted yes. I would be curious who the “no” voters would place ahead of him.

Happ is obviously a really really good player. Teams have to game plan for him and he can hurt you with his passing as much as his scoring, ball handling, etc....his weakness however is glaring. Wisconsin has to game plan for his weakness by putting him on the bench when the game is close down the stretch in particular.

He certainly should not be MVP (for which he will get some consideration) and as the season nears the end I think his weakness "could" push him off of the first team all BT....but the publicity he has gotten for his strengths will probably keep him on there. That said, if his weakness at the end of games costs Wisconsin a win in the B10 tournament or in the seeding and shows to be more and more of an issue then he may not end up there.

Last night vs Illinois it was very notable that he was not in the game during crunch time.....the camera kept going to him, etc...

For me he is 1st team all big 10. I will say if I were a Wisconsin fan not having your best player on the floor at the end of games would be frustrating.

Most high school girls shoot free throws better than him.

Reactions: Carlton
Cassius Winston
Carsen Edwards
Romeo Langford
Tyler Cook
Jordan Murphy
Ignas Brazdeikis
Bruno Fernando

There, I've provided 7 players I would take over Happ for 1st team.
You are not one of best players in conference if you are consistently not one of the best players on your own team in last 5 minutes of games.

When we play de Badgers we should HackAHapp all game long.
Till and Baby Baer are going to be our defensive stoppers, both of them foul out with a total of 10 minutes played, Happ will average .7 pts per possession with those to guarding him. Preferably at end of 1st half when Iowa's not yet in double bonus.

When we play de Badgers we should HackAHapp all game long.
Izzo fouled him when they were up by 3 with around 3 minutes to go. Happ promtly clanked both FTs.

Now Happ is being benched in tight games with 3 minutes to go.

So, I agree; if the game is tight, you probably need to foul him sooner rather than later (when he is benched).

Not correct.

He should not be 1st team because he is benched during crunch time.

You don't bench 1st team all B1G players during crunch time.
Ya, didnt Ferentz bench a Fant at crunch time? Lol

Happ is first a teamer, no brainer, mark it down. :)

Numbers (including free throws) aside, I've never been especially impressed with Happ. He fits the Wisconsin system, but I don't see him as a "great" basketball player. Good, yes. Effective, sure. But first team Big Ten or POY? To me, not even close on either count. Of course, that's just my biased personal opinion. You are entitled to yours.

I hope the Hawkeyes dominate Happ in Madison, and I think they can.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT