ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

Not sure why any one would have any thing negative to say about Doyle. We are seriously lucky to have gotten her. She is in my opinion the best player in the freshman class. She is so solid on both ends of the floor and is big ten ready. I would of hated going against her at Nebraska. I'm wowed every time she plays. I think she will end up being better than Sam Logic. She is a better athlete.
This

Reactions: SynergyHawk12
Maybe I'm being a bit of a crank here, but somebody has to tell Coley to stop tucking her game shorts into her compression shorts. Looks really weird.
Stewart and one of the other bigs were doing this for awhile, too. I have been giving them the benefit of the doubt that it is some sort of inside joke (or they lost a bet).

Every game that I've watched I've Come Away more more impressed with Doyle. Even despite the times that she struggled a bit.

She is just a tremendous athlete. Northwestern had a little quick guard and she stayed right in front of her the whole time. I've noticed that every game with her. I just marveled at how well she moves her feet and how athletic and free-flowing her movement is. If she improves her shot....

Yeah, the Jennings transfer-out combined with the Doyle flip to Iowa is one of the all-time "when one door closes, another opens" examples. Would have been tough to see her in a Husker uniform.

Sort of strange that Lacy mentioned on her post game that Bre was out with concussion symptoms but did not mention Christina. Replaying the 1st Q when I got home I heard the commentators (from BTN studio) say they were both out with the concussions. I think there is more to the story, and I have no info, just a guess.

Deary, the little NW guard, is the nation's leader in steals. One of the fastest players in the B1G. Kathleen was on a break away with Deary right next to her. With Doyle dribbling, Deary still couldn't catch her.
And yet people still say that Iowa isn't athletic. The Hawk team is full of athletes.

Reactions: remerson and iarick
Stewart and one of the other bigs were doing this for awhile, too. I have been giving them the benefit of the doubt that it is some sort of inside joke (or they lost a bet).
I've seen women on other teams do that too. Must be a reason.

With tournament chances on the line, that was shocking lack of enthusiasm in the 2nd half. After getting two decent home games from the players who don't get many minutes, this game I think why we saw they don't get many minutes.

Certainly disappointing, I thought after the NW game we were as ready for PU as we could be. Happy that the 4 guard lineup is gone, if only for the moment. Coach Jensen indicated she was "annoyed" with "a couple of individuals" in the 2nd half. Said there were a lot of "wide eyes" in the 2nd half huddles. Not the first time we've had a tough time at Purdue, Versyp's teams tend to be very aggressive defensively and will reach, slap, bump and shove to the maximum extent the refs will allow. Which is often in this era of "let 'em play" WBB officiating. Historically, we've had trouble with physical play.

Bottom-line, we aren't good enough to separate ourselves from the logjam in the middle of the B10 standings, despite having decent talent across the roster.

Certainly disappointing, I thought after the NW game we were as ready for PU as we could be. Happy that the 4 guard lineup is gone, if only for the moment. Coach Jensen indicated she was "annoyed" with "a couple of individuals" in the 2nd half. Said there were a lot of "wide eyes" in the 2nd half huddles. Not the first time we've had a tough time at Purdue, Versyp's teams tend to be very aggressive defensively and will reach, slap, bump and shove to the maximum extent the refs will allow. Which is often in this era of "let 'em play" WBB officiating. Historically, we've had trouble with physical play.

Bottom-line, we aren't good enough to separate ourselves from the logjam in the middle of the B10 standings, despite having decent talent across the roster.
Decided to stay overnight Saturday and watched the game with a couple people who have been around the block when it comes to basketball. We were all in agreement that Carly Mohns physical style of play, at both ends of the court, would have really helped today. Chase has a different offensive skill set and apparently Coach Bluder prefers what she brings. Without trying to come across as attacking the kid, Chase is an average defender at best and a poor one all too often. After a terrible third quarter Ally ripped into the team. One of the coaches I was sitting next to made an unsolicited comment after watching the others body language--"they aren't responding at all to her". Hindsight being 20/20 he was right.

Row55, I didn't get to hear the postgame, but did Coach J mention anyone by name?

Everyone in my group said the same thing at the half--Purdue is one of the top two defensive teams in the conference, they are going to come out to start the third quarter with a** on fire. And they did. Much tighter, physical and intense. Iowa was more physical in the first half....Purdue took it to another level in the second half and Iowa didn't respond.

Gustafson tried, but was taking on multiple Boilermakers and simply couldn't do it all herself. Her arms were bright red from the physical play when she fouled out. One tough kid.

No, coach J did not name names. I caught another part of the post game when I think Meyer was being interviewed and seemed very upset.

I'd like to see a quality power forward to go with Gustafson. Always admired ISU's Chelsea Poppens, had a motor second to none. Been hoping to hear she has younger siblings that might be lured away from Ames.

I think I have the Mohns situation figured out, she's being groomed to take Hailey Schneden's spot ;)

For years, especially at home, Purdue has been allowed by officials to go way beyond the rules with hacks, shoves, and grabs. Kind of like Mich State men (and Illinois yesterday in the men's game). Iowa [lays a finesse style that doesn't do well when thuggery is allowed. A couple of the 0fficials today are repeat offenders.
That being said, the players can't let it get to them. they have to attack back and not become passive. Megan can fight them but they could really use another enforcer. 15% shooting (second half) isn't going to win ANY games.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Iowa doesn't have an athletic slashing forward, or a banger power forward. Without fastbreak opportunities in the second half, its offense was a point in the middle and a circle way outside, nothing in between. Does Jinaya Houston fit the mode of either type of forward? Is Sevillian quick enough to penetrate a tight defense and help out Davis next year?

Just saw that Indiana lost at Nebraska today. Now they are going to be really mad when they play Iowa on Thursday! Iowa should be mad, too, plus they now have a chance to catch up with Indiana. I just hope Tyra Buss doesn't go off for 40 while Disterhoft again scores 9 points.

I believe in this team. They are just freshman-heavy, and they have lost two starters and a key reserve. We will be better next year in spite of the loss of Disterhoft. Add Sevillian, Moehn, and Davis. And someone unexpected will step up. Maybe the senior-fire will light in Coley's belly.

And I am not giving up on this year's team. They needed to win two of three regular season games. that is still within reach.

I believe in this team. They are just freshman-heavy, and they have lost two starters and a key reserve. We will be better next year in spite of the loss of Disterhoft. Add Sevillian, Moehn, and Davis. And someone unexpected will step up. Maybe the senior-fire will light in Coley's belly.

And I am not giving up on this year's team. They needed to win two of three regular season games. that is still within reach.
Only two more games to go, though. This year Big Ten is back to 16 games. 4 teams have a 8-6 record currently, none will play Ohio State or Maryland. Realistically the only team that Iowa can catch up and have a head-to-head advantage is Indiana, their next opponent. Iowa has to win that game.

I also believe next year's team will be better. Meyer seems to have the fearlessness of Dixon as a shooter backed up with talent. Probably has shot better than Dixon as a freshman, too. And as I mentioned, Jinaya Houston may be the type of player that Iowa lacks right now. Ollinger looked good. And maybe next year Cera will get back closer to be the scorer she once was in high school before the injuries. Don't know what the deal is for the coaches to hold out Mohns, though. Still not fully recovered?

I also believe next year's team will be better. Meyer seems to have the fearlessness of Dixon as a shooter backed up with talent. Probably has shot better than Dixon as a freshman, too. And as I mentioned, Jinaya Houston may be the type of player that Iowa lacks right now. Ollinger looked good. And maybe next year Cera will get back closer to be the scorer she once was in high school before the injuries. Don't know what the deal is for the coaches to hold out Mohns, though. Still not fully recovered?

Talked to both the family and medical staff about 2 weeks ago. Mohns is ready and has been for a while. When I talked to one of the assistants, she simply said they are having trouble finding her minutes right now. She saw the look of surprise on my face. I asked how a kid who was about to become a regular starter could have trouble finding minutes, she shrugged her shoulders and said it was Coach Bluder's decision.

Help me out. Who does Iowa have coming in next year? And the year after? Are any of these going to have major impact early? Thanks.

Talked to both the family and medical staff about 2 weeks ago. Mohns is ready and has been for a while. When I talked to one of the assistants, she simply said they are having trouble finding her minutes right now. She saw the look of surprise on my face. I asked how a kid who was about to become a regular starter could have trouble finding minutes, she shrugged her shoulders and said it was Coach Bluder's decision.
Perhaps during practices Mohns has shown a tendency to turn the ball over? That I can think will sure catch Coach Bluder's irk, given that this has been one of the Iowa team's "signature" shortcomings for years and isn't getting any better.

Perhaps during practices Mohns has shown a tendency to turn the ball over? That I can think will sure catch Coach Bluder's irk, given that this has been one of the Iowa team's "signature" shortcomings for years and isn't getting any better.
Doubtful since she wasn't prone to it (either off the dribble or passing) prior to her injury.

Doubtful since she wasn't prone to it (either off the dribble or passing) prior to her injury.
I agree, the minutes she has managed to get Carly looks solid & strong with the ball. Lisa just doesn't do a good job of managing/using her depth. I didn't like the platoon & thought she should have been building a rotation early in the season instead of having a young team adjust mid-season. Often I've wondered if all those years of only having 8-9 healthy players has effected how she uses her depth when she does have it? If she doesn't change potential recruits will start noticing & I sure hope we keep who is currently on the team next season.

I seriously doubt that. She will be a senior next year. I think she will want to finish her career.

i can see Buttenham giving basketball up after the season anybody agree with me

I don't think she'd want to give up basketball either. However if she cannot recover from her concussion to the point where she can safely play she may not have a choice. Former Hawk (Logic's class) & Iowa City native Virginia Johnson had to give up the sport for this very reason. Not sure if Christina has suffered from concussions in the past or not.

Indiana 80 - Iowa 77 double OT. Iowa with a 3 pt lead with 3.6 in regulation and again Lisa will not foul and the gal hit a three to tie. Another one let slip away.

Reactions: blackett73
Why doesn't Bluder foul when we were up by 3 with 3 seconds left? There was another game not to long ago with the same circumstance!

I cannot remember which one it was, but they also lost to Minn last year because they didn't foul with just a couple seconds left, and they had one to give. Unbelievable.

Rob & Jamie were speculating we would foul since we had them to give.

22 turnovers.

I won't be complaining if we don't get invited. As with last season, we're less than the sum of our parts.

I cannot remember which one it was, but they also lost to Minn last year because they didn't foul with just a couple seconds left, and they had one to give. Unbelievable.
Michigan St. Instead of fouling we let Jankoska tie it up with a three. Luckily we were able to pull that one out in OT.
Another thing..three seconds up by three, it doesn't make sense for Megan to be in the game standing under the basket. Should have had another body at the three-point line denying.

Oh well - the 'strategy' was the guard them close and we did do that. It took a desperation heave..that of course went in.

This looks a lot to me like our football coaches in some cases. How can you and I which are neither coaches or very smart but can see things like this. Once the ball is in the air you go to the girl catching it and foul her. Pretty simple...But coaches making $200,000 can't figure this out. And instead of our center under the basket why not have all 6'5" guarding the gal throwing the ball inbounds. IMO pretty shi--- coaching. But I have seen the same type of things by our other coaches. You should go over this ahead of time and have one of your assistants jumping on the coaches head before the play is even started. Really damm disappointed in our coach in this game.....again!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT