ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

Five players with 40+ minutes played. no wonder they missed FT in the 2nd overtime. All that preseason platooning and now they don't trust the bench.
It is down to this...win the B1G tournament or they are out.
Each of the 5 or 6 games that they let slip away will hurt.

Five players with 40+ minutes played. no wonder they missed FT in the 2nd overtime. All that preseason platooning and now they don't trust the bench.
The Iowa bench played more minutes than the Indiana bench. And the bench would have got more minutes if we had Tania & Christina obviously. At this point in the season, in this type of game, I don't think I would have trusted more Stewart/Mohns/Ollinger minutes either.

I'm not sure the endurance of some of the 40+ min players is where it could be.

The foul or not, Iowa was again bad on offense in the second half. The post in the middle and everybody else outside the 3-point line. I guess had Davis been playing, we would have seen some successful dribble penetration, but I thought Doyle was supposed to be great? Disterhoft was said to be very quick on her feet?

Well, I guess Coach Bluder hinted the deficiency in her last call-in show: Doyle, Cera and Meyer runs fast, but with the ball Davis is the quickest. Everybody else's dribbling is suspicious. Lots of turnovers were results of this. And last night we saw Gustafson dribbling around in the paint for a good three seconds. Fortunately that did not result in a turnover.

Well, I guess Coach Bluder hinted the deficiency in her last call-in show: Doyle, Cera and Meyer runs fast, but with the ball Davis is the quickest. Everybody else's dribbling is suspicious. Lots of turnovers were results of this. And last night we saw Gustafson dribbling around in the paint for a good three seconds. Fortunately that did not result in a turnover.
What I heard was Cera was the fastest player on the team followed by Meyer and Doyle. Dribbling the ball it is Doyle, Meyer then Davis.

What I heard was Cera was the fastest player on the team followed by Meyer and Doyle. Dribbling the ball it is Doyle, Meyer then Davis.
No, she said Davis was the fastest with the ball. And I believe Jennings would have been the second fastest had she remained on the team. Logic wasn't fast but she's got great dribbling skills.

I wasn't a fan of the platoon system, but only playing basically 6 or 7 girls is ridiculous also. I know Davis is out and Cera had been out, but yeah why doesn't she trust the bench.I think they were up 6 in 1st overtime also. A definite bad loss.

Something a little positive after a very tough loss: Will Kathleen be selected to the all Big 10 Freshman team?

Destiny Slocum(Maryland) and Kyrse Gondrezick (Michigan) will likely battle for the Big 10 FOY - given their strong contributions to Big 10 top 3 teams.

Brandi Beasley (Illinois) and Gadvia Hubbard (Minnesota) both have strong stat lines, though for bottom 5 teams

Kathleen is on par with Dominique Oden (Purdue) and Taryn McCutchen (MSU), but may be hurt by the Hawks likely placing 9th.

Hope Kathleen finishes strong and gets recognized for her strong freshman season.

Stats to date:
  • Slocum: 11.4-3-6, 1.3 steals, 2 3s, 40/38/71 in 30 minutes
  • Gondrezick: 14.3-3.4-3, 1.2 steals, 2.2 3s, 43/44/65 in 27 minutes
  • Beasley: 13.3-5.3-4, 1.7 steals, 0.8 3s, 39/24/70 in 36 minutes
  • Hubbard: 12.4-3.2-2.6, 1.7 steals, 2 3s, 40/35/74 in 32 minutes
  • Doyle: 9-2.5-4, 2 steal, 0.7 3s, 40/27/68 in 28 minutes
  • Oden: 10.5, 3.2-2, 0.8 steals, 1.5 3s, 44/33/77 in 31 minutes
  • McCutchen: 7-2.8-5.2, 0.8 steals, 1.5 3s, 36/39/83 in 32 minutes

Reactions: cyberhawk
Christina wouldn't have played even if she had been available; not in the top 8. The same 5 players played all the overtime minutes. I know ant would agree; Brea would have added some needed defense late.

Iowa will be the 8th or 9th seed in the BTT vs. Northwestern. No. 1 looks to be Ohio State, and No. 4 more than likely will be either Purdue, Indiana or Michigan State. So, Iowa has a chance to bust it out and get two or even three wins before meeting Maryland or Penn State, two teams that I feel Iowa has no chance against. Here's a chance to make amends for the games that slipped away. Think positive!

Christina wouldn't have played even if she had been available; not in the top 8. The same 5 players played all the overtime minutes. I know ant would agree; Brea would have added some needed defense late.[/QUOTE.

True dat!!! I was actually surprised Bre played as much as she did with 1 practice since Ohio St. Since they played her that much why not use her perimeter defense that Bluder says she likes so much?
That being said, I think we need to slow our roll with slamming lack of coaching with Bluder. I know for a fact that a lot of what has been questioned on here in terms of why didn't she coach it this way or that way was addressed during the game. The directives weren't carried out the way they should have been during the two o.ts. The reality of coaching 18-22year olds in pressure situations

Interesting article about Disterhoft in the Gazette, something maybe a little different than the standard piece about the teams star player. Some excerpts:

“She is borderline obsessive with perfection, and sometimes it presents challenges for the coaches and with her relationships,” Jeff Disterhoft said. “She is very successful, but there are definitely downsides. Folks like Ally are tough to be satisfied, and that’s a tough way to go through life. “I don’t know if she has enjoyed the ride as much as she should.”

In one of her first games in the Game Time League, Disterhoft got into a verbal and physical confrontation with point guard Samantha Logic. “There were lots of elbows, a little smack talk,” Disterhoft recalled. “We were both competing, and I think that’s why we hit it off.”

“It’s not always fun being a leader. You can’t please everybody,” Bluder said. “If your first desire is to be a well-liked person, you’re probably not going to be the best leader. “Ally and I, we are so much alike. It’s good and bad, to be honest. Sometimes we butt heads because we’re so similar, even though I’m not nearly as intelligent as her. It can be a little explosive at times.”

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...-disterhoft-and-so-does-satisfaction-20170225

Speaking of Disterhoft and obsessive, I like her pre-throw routine, which never varies: (1) touch the right shoe sole, (2) touch the left shoe sole twice (3) touch the right shoe sole, (4) pull shorts from butt, (5) shoot the free throw.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Senior night, seniors saved the day. Iowa trailed by 4 points in the fourth quarter. The freshmen turned the ball over left and right, so Coach Bluder yanked Doyle out late in the game and put in Kastanek. Disterhoft scored an and-one and Kastanek promptly made two three pointers to help Iowa pull away.

Reactions: LinusPF
Ally got that FT routine from Jaime Printy. :)
Talked to Jaime today at the game. she had her baby with her. a lot of former Hawks back today. Talked to Crystal Smith before the game. she was back in Iowa (from Dallas) to see her brothers and sisters play this week. Jeremy and Mikaela for UNI men's and women's, and Cailyn for Iowa City West high. also saw Amy Herrig, Bethany Doolittle, Krista VandeVenter, Stacy Sclapkohl, Kelly Krei, and a bunch of others. Back for the home finale and SR day.
Ally had 19, Megan had 22 and 14, and the Hawks used a 17-2 run to pull out the win. Hannah had 8 in 7 minutes, and alexa hit two big 3ptrs in the 4th. 71-60 final.
They had a nice video after and all three SRs spoke. Hailey was able to get in the game at the end.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Ally got that FT routine from Jaime Printy. :)
Talked to Jaime today at the game. she had her baby with her. a lot of former Hawks back today. Talked to Crystal Smith before the game. she was back in Iowa (from Dallas) to see her brothers and sisters play this week. Jeremy and Mikaela for UNI men's and women's, and Cailyn for Iowa City West high. also saw Amy Herrig, Bethany Doolittle, Krista VandeVenter, Stacy Sclapkohl, Kelly Krei, and a bunch of others. Back for the home finale and SR day.
Ally had 19, Megan had 22 and 14, and the Hawks used a 17-2 run to pull out the win. Hannah had 8 in 7 minutes, and alexa hit two big 3ptrs in the 4th. 71-60 final.
They had a nice video after and all three SRs spoke. Hailey was able to get in the game at the end.
I believe Kelly Krei was also in and she was the Delta Dental Smile Cam winner!

And even got Hailey on the court for last minute. If nothing else, Lisa has always done her best to get that senior curtain call and even uses a timeout to make the switches.

Hawks play NW on Thursday at 11am in the BTT. If they win, they will have #1 seed OSU.

The replay of OSU-MD might still be on WatchESPN, for anyone curious. The Buckeyes had 35 points in the first quarter, and were missing their starting center. Watching them, I was amazed we hung with them for part of the game, they are absolutely loaded.

Speaking of Disterhoft and obsessive, I like her pre-throw routine, which never varies: (1) touch the right shoe sole, (2) touch the left shoe sole twice (3) touch the right shoe sole, (4) pull shorts from butt, (5) shoot the free throw.

Actually you missed one. (5) shrugs both shoulders forward, (6) shoot the free throw. She doesn't do it every time, but most times.

Actually you missed one. (5) shrugs both shoulders forward, (6) shoot the free throw. She doesn't do it every time, but most times.
Could be. I usually look away after #4.:)

I was sitting across from the bench yesterday. The highlight of the senior day activities was while the Ally video was playing, Davis, Coley and Doyle (briefly) were imitating (in a nice way) the Disterhoft shot. They had had both hands over their left shoulders and then going to the right. Looked like a routine they had done many times.

In the Ohio State game , the Hawks were tied 72 all with 4 minutes to go.

In the Ohio State game , the Hawks were tied 72 all with 4 minutes to go.

I know. The amazing thing to me was that as up and down as our season has been, we were hanging with a team that is strong enough to take it to MD while missing a starter.

I know. The amazing thing to me was that as up and down as our season has been, we were hanging with a team that is strong enough to take it to MD while missing a starter.

Ohio State made something like 13 straight FGs without missing against MD. They were shooting lights out.
I agree it was good to see Iowa stay close to OSU. Iowa doesnt seem to be able to make clutch plays when needed. Some of it is freshmen mistakes and overall lack of poise. Hopefully Kastanek can keep shooting 3s like she did in 4th quarter yesterday to keep Iowa competitive in BTT

If Megan Gustafson has a typical game against NW she will become the leading scorer and rebounder for a soph season in Iowa history. She needs 17 points and 10 rebounds. Kristi Faulkner has the points record at 539. Cindy Haugejorde has the rebounds at 300. Megan sits at 523 and 291.

Coach Bluder has 696 career wins. With the four ahead of her on the all-time list being retired, 13 more wins would put her at #25 all-time.

49m49 minutes ago
ICYMI: Freshman Kathleen Doyle now holds the program record for steals in a freshman season! Congrats, @KDoyle_11! #Hawkeyes

C5r_W-ZUoAAan31.jpg

Ohio State made something like 13 straight FGs without missing against MD. They were shooting lights out.
I agree it was good to see Iowa stay close to OSU. Iowa doesnt seem to be able to make clutch plays when needed. Some of it is freshmen mistakes and overall lack of poise. Hopefully Kastanek can keep shooting 3s like she did in 4th quarter yesterday to keep Iowa competitive in BTT
Don't forget that she hit a three-pointer at the end of regulation that seemingly won the game at Indiana.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT