ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 16/17 Season

Ist team All-Big Ten for Disterhoft and Gustafson, All-Freshman team for Doyle. Congrats to all. Am I wrong for being disappointed with 8th place?

Ist team All-Big Ten for Disterhoft and Gustafson, All-Freshman team for Doyle. Congrats to all. Am I wrong for being disappointed with 8th place?

Yeah I don't think you see too often where a team has 2 first team players and finishes 8th. And a player on the all-freshman team. This team was probably as much unlucky as anything with the amount of close losses.

Yeah I don't think you see too often where a team has 2 first team players and finishes 8th. And a player on the all-freshman team. This team was probably as much unlucky as anything with the amount of close losses.
When it's a 10 or 12 player team, it lessens the disappointment some.

what will it take for carly mohans too see the court.
CARLY MOHNS BIO

It's really too early to be thinking about next year (since this season is not over yet) and Carly will have to wait until then. Regardless, think of it like this. Iowa will be losing approximately 45 minutes of total playing time per game from the three seniors, but mostly Ally. Carly's best chance to play will be to replace Ally's minutes as well as her production. Also she will need to compete with the rest of the reserves for those minutes. I really hope she can do it but it may be difficult with Amanda also competing for those minutes. Finally, I think that Jinaya could also fit into Ally's role as well.

I could be wrong but I doubt that Carly will transfer. She only has two years of eligibility left and has already used her redshirt. She would have to drop down to DII or lose another year of eligibility.

Last edited:
One possibility might be for her to tough it out for another season, hit the books, graduate on time and then do a graduate transfer. Or just accept the Schneden/Nicole Smith/Kathryn Reynolds role and be a member of the team and get a B10 education paid for, certainly not a bad thing.

I agree Row55. As much I would like to see it, in my opinion, Carly has only about a 50-50 chance at best to beat Amanda for that starting role and that does not take into consideration that someone other than these two could win that position.

My guess is until Davis gets back, Cera and Coley will start along with Doyle, Meyer and Gustafson. Then when Davis returns we'll go back to 4-guard. It appears Buttenham is also in front of Mohns, at least at this time.

CARLY MOHNS BIO

It's really too early to be thinking about next year (since this season is not over yet) and Carly will have to wait until then. Regardless, think of it like this. Iowa will be losing approximately 45 minutes of total playing time per game from the three seniors, but mostly Ally. Carly's best chance to play will be to replace Ally's minutes as well as her production. Also she will need to compete with the rest of the reserves for those minutes. I really hope she can do it but it may be difficult with Amanda also competing for those minutes. Finally, I think that Jinaya could also fit into Ally's role as well.

I could be wrong but I doubt that Carly will transfer. She only has two years of eligibility left and has already used her redshirt. She would have to drop down to DII or lose another year of eligibility.
Mohns is better than ollinger or at least prior to the injury. Ollinger lacks foot speed to be effective and doesn't react to the ball as well as Mohns IMO

Mohns is better than ollinger or at least prior to the injury. Ollinger lacks foot speed to be effective and doesn't react to the ball as well as Mohns IMO
You could be right about that for all I know. For what it's worth, I think they are very close to each other, not only in size but skills and abilities. The only reason I believe Amanda may be ahead of Carly is because since the Kent State game when Carly first returned, Amanda has had about three times as many minutes as Carly (35-12).

Reactions: remerson
You could be right about that for all I know. For what it's worth, I think they are very close to each other, not only in size but skills and abilities. The only reason I believe Amanda may be ahead of Carly is because since the Kent State game when Carly first returned, Amanda has had about three times as many minutes as Carly (35-12).
Carly is ready for the spring fishing season, so I hope that doesn't mean she's mentally done with the season. I'm one of those frustrated fans who wants to see more of Carly on the floor. I believe she has potential that we've yet to see.

Would like to know the real reason why she isn't playing as much as it appears many of us think she should be playing. I wonder if it is effort? Why tweet about fishing if you're engaged in basketball? I haven't seen her tweet or Instagram much this year, especially about Iowa WBB.

Reactions: remerson
Fishing is Carly's off court passion.
qW-gtOZL_400x400.jpg

She also likes duck hunting. And she is very good at both.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Fishing is Carly's off court passion.
qW-gtOZL_400x400.jpg

She also likes duck hunting. And she is very good at both.
Best looking fisher I ever did see! and the fish ain't bad either. Heck, that fish probably jumped in the boat to meet her =) Seriously, I don't think she should be criticized for tweeting about fishing and not basketball. These kids spend so much time with their sport, the off field/court activities are welcome. I think there have been some Iowa wrestlers pretty well known for their hunting adventures

Reactions: cyberhawk
Best looking fisher I ever did see! and the fish ain't bad either. Heck, that fish probably jumped in the boat to meet her =) Seriously, I don't think she should be criticized for tweeting about fishing and not basketball. These kids spend so much time with their sport, the off field/court activities are welcome. I think there have been some Iowa wrestlers pretty well known for their hunting adventures
Didn't intend my comments to be criticism - reading my post again, I can see how they can be interpreted as such. Was more thinking "out loud" hoping she's still engaged. Totally agree that our athletes should have outside interests and fishing is a good one to have (duck hunting, too).

Especially rabbits on campus.

At the Big Tournament,if you going to play 4 guards you have to shoot and make some threes. The last couple games they are hesitant and they just pack the zone in on Megan.

At the Big Tournament,if you going to play 4 guards you have to shoot and make some threes. The last couple games they are hesitant and they just pack the zone in on Megan.

Granted, Iowa's not playing good defense, but NW is making everything they throw up there.

Bluder said in the pre-game that they wanted to focus on getting the ball inside (presumably to try to get Coffey in foul trouble) and resist the urge to take quick 3's.

Bluder said in the pre-game that they wanted to focus on getting the ball inside (presumably to try to get Coffey in foul trouble) and resist the urge to take quick 3's.
Well she has 3 fouls heading into 4th, but also has 29 points.

Yeah, that first foul on Gustafson just a few seconds into the game pretty much gave Coffey the green light.

This. But it doesn't have to be threes. Someone just needs to be willing to shoot/make a shot that's not a layup. Megan is not going to be open every time down the court. But yet we dribble dribble dribble waiting for her to open up. It's not surprising that eventually we turn it over.

Reactions: blackett73
I like Bluder, I really do. I want to love Bluder, but I just can't get there. Every year the same issues: toughness and rebounding. Sam Logic compensated for four years, but otherwise her teams, year in, year out, are seriously lacking in rebounding fundamentals and toughness.

And then, defensively, there is a lot to be critical of as well.

Today's game reinforced my inability to love Bluder.

Disappointing to get taken out by a team you just beat by 15 a couple of weeks ago.

yes, disappointing end of the season. Maybe they can get a NIT game or two.
But congrats to Ally Disterhoft on her selection as Academic All-American player of the year for the second consecutive year and her third year on the all-American team.

I like Bluder, I really do. I want to love Bluder, but I just can't get there. Every year the same issues: toughness and rebounding. Sam Logic compensated for four years, but otherwise her teams, year in, year out, are seriously lacking in rebounding fundamentals and toughness.

I try to take the long view. Great career, but last 2 years have been disappointing. Inability to play defense is shocking.

Lack of team quickness and athleticism doesn't help, either

The emergence of turnovers as a major issue the last two seasons has been troubling (I know, I keep saying this). Along with rebounding, the falloff in 3 point % and the habit of going dead for one quarter per game, pretty much everything that was a problem last season has continued to be a problem this season. At this time last year, I thought we had potential to be really good in '17-'18, but now I don't have any expectations.

Losing Ally next year is going to hurt. Houston should see a lot of playing time. Mohn's or Ollinger are going to need to step up big time. I've given up on Coley, she is just a stiff out on the court. Hope she can make me eat these words next year.

I don't know if it's due to trying to play too fast, but other than one or two players, this team has really poor hands. Trouble handling easy passes, inability to control rebounds/loose balls, etc. leads to lots of unforced turnovers.

Really untimely turnovers today, both during NW's 2nd quarter run & then down the stretch in the 4th quarter. The freshman will make some mistakes but was really disappointed today in both Kastanek & Coley. Alexa has never learned to value the ball & Coley looked lost out there today all but for a couple sequences. When a team gives up 18 offensive rebounds you just cannot recover from that. Like Row55 I don't know what to expect next season but hope coach Bluder takes a long look at things (including her coaching) & figures out how to best use the talent she has.

They also are near the top of the league in team defense, FG% and 3pt %.
Rebounding is a problem (except for Megan. but when you play 4 guards and they are around the perimeter it makes it hard.
Turnovers also a problem, especially bad passes.
This year was going to be all 5 starters back. Then Whit transferred, the coaches decided to go with guards, and Tania got injured. Down to 2 starters and a very young team. The other big problem was 3pt shooting. We got spoiled watching Melissa Dixon for four years. This years squad was inconsistent at best.
Hoping now they get to host a WNIT game or two. Ally is within 20 points of being the all-time leading scorer. A couple of WNIT wins should do it. With all the FR and SO on the team, some post season tournament experience would be helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGHAWK
Losing Jennings and Davis really hurt. Two players that can actually play fast, not just wanting to play fast.

The field for the WNIT will be announced March 13 and first round games begin March 15. The championship is April 1.

Northwestern had 4 seniors who were ready to play. Made more hustle plays than Iowa

Hoping Davis can come back and that the three freshmen who played most improve as much as Megan and Davis did this past year.

Reactions: cyberhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT