ADVERTISEMENT

Welp….

Exactly. This mentality is effectively saying there's no point in doing anything differently until Cael retires. What a dumb mentality for competition.
Sadly, this seems to be the mentality inside the Iowa wrestling building too. We have to be the only blue blood program of any sport that’s scared to make a big move, even when it’s obvious that we are losing our footing at the top of the college wresting world.

I guess it’s better to just keep doing the same thing over and over and slip farther into irrelevancy than it is to “take a chance” on a sure-fire candidate like DT. Imagine if all this buzz and excitement was centered towards Iowa wrestling right now - that would have been neat, huh?

Sigh lol

Fortune favors the bold
Just ask Nebraska football (about 4x in the last generation).

That said, Im way more confident in DT (and the OSU money that has come alive again) getting OSU back to second place than I was in any of the Husker hires. (Though I think the guy they have now is good)

Reactions: el dub
Lol this is such a loser mentality.
My not thinking you should spend a crazy amount of money to hire an unproven coach and fire a proven one is a loser mentality? On top of it, I am NOT convinced DT would do ANY better. That is the entire point. If DT were coming off 4 years of successful coaching somewhere and all indications were he would jump Iowa into contention with PSU, I wouldn't be arguing, however that simply is NOT the case.

Simply put, I HATE the grass is always greener on the other side mentality. You guys act like the grass is full of weeds, with dead patches and a grub infestation. The real truth is it is STILL very green and plush and you have a guy that is dedicated to it and bleeds black and gold more than ANYONE, in charge of it. You may not like his methods, but I still think he is the best guy for the job until someone else proves themselves.

The simple truth is DT has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to show that he is that guy to this point to fire someone like Brands and pay him even more money...

Reactions: HawkeyePA
The transfer portal is closed, so I don't think he can bring in any PSU guys without them losing a year of eligibility. That doesn't mean he can't go get Lilledahl, Forrest, Bassett, Gibson, etc. I'm guessing Hendrickson will become official now. Alirez is probably a gonna be a Cowboy too. Amine?
What makes you think Alirez is going to be a cowboy? He hasn’t been recruited by anybody on the future Okie State staff.

I knew one day I'd need to retire from this board and head to the one whose program is the real threat to PSUs dominance. I'll admit though, I didnt think David Taylor would be the one to kick it all off. I know my absense from here would be greatly welcomed. You all should make May 7th "David Taylor Day"

Exactly. This mentality is effectively saying there's no point in doing anything differently until Cael retires. What a dumb mentality for competition.
You are funny in that you call people out for reading comprehension, but miss out so blindly here.

Look, in PLAIN ENGLISH, I have no issue with trying tons of stuff. If you have actually read my posts, I have said plenty of things that need to change under Brands. My very SIMPLE issue is that I DO NOT see a coach out there right now that gives me the level of confidence to simply fire Brands and bring them in.

I DO NOT like unprovens, when I already have a guy that bleeds for Iowa and has won 4 championships, while coaching against the most powerful dynasty this sport has ever seen. DT may prove to be the answer, but he may NOT. I simply do not see this hire as nearly the guarantee that many of you think it is and THAT is the part I am arguing against...

I knew one day I'd need to retire from this board and head to the one whose program is the real threat to PSUs dominance. I'll admit though, I didnt think David Taylor would be the one to kick it all off. I know my absense from here would be greatly welcomed. You all should make May 7th "David Taylor Day"
Don’t let the door hit you on your way out.

Reactions: HawkeyePA
Obviously, it is an opinion based in the fact that everyone other than Sanderson has leveled off in recruiting and I am sure as hell not appointing him as remotely at Sanderson's level anytime soon.

As far as Brands "earning" it goes, they have been far from "dormant". They were the best team in 2020, won it in 2021, took 3rd in 2022, 2nd in 2023 and 5th(6 points out of 2nd) while losing 4 starters to a gambling fiasco that is now most likely generating millions of dollars in lawsuits.

Again, the whole point of my argument is that this disparity is a PSU thing WAY MORE than an Iowa thing. Many on here just simply can't grasp that point and are looking for "magical" fixes and extreme blaming, when Sanderson and PSU simply deserve incredible amounts of credit for doing something I never thought possible in this sport...
Dude, we've had two individual national champions in the past 10 years. Back to back extremely poor recruiting classes. Our 45 million dollar wrestling facility looks like it was designed by Edgar Allen Poe.

If anyone in this program is waving the white flag and accepting the fact we can't compete for championships anymore, then they need walked out immediately.

Don’t let the door hit you on your way out.
sadly we all know this hapless jagoff will be back to troll yet again... sorry to respond on your post but i have him on ignore for his own stupid $hit that he spews in here. If he truly leaves then there may actually be a positive point that comes from the DT hiring.

Replace Morningstar with Cox and Telford with Mocco. Bring in Askren for recruiting. All 3 of those names are more valid than the 2 on staff, to younger wrestlers.
Askren isn’t leaving his life in Wisconsin to be a recruiting coordinator.

There are lots of dream scenarios being thrown around right now but the fact is that DT was an actual legitimate option for Iowa wrestling and we balked.

Scared money don’t make money.

Recruiting will be as simple as Hi I am David Taylor here is your NIL amount

I think this is true.

The teams that have financial backers are going to be there regularly- PSU, tOSU, OSU, Michigan, and Iowa is up there too.

I dont think you need a great tactician as a coach, the kids come in with way more wrestling skill than they used to.

I love everything TnT are about, but that doesn't seem to be resonating with a high number of top level recruits right now. I also don't think DT to OSU really moves the needle a whole lot with regards to Iowa - Iowa is only getting 1-2 top 20 guys a year right now, and are fighting for the trophy spot, not the top spot. I said it elsewhere, but I'd expect the biggest impact to come to PSU's JV team, if DT can create a 'Happy Valley West'-like atmosphere.

Dude, we've had two individual national championships in the past 10 years. Back to back extremely poor recruiting classes. Our 45 million dollar wrestling facility looks like it was designed by Edgar Allen Poe.

If anyone in this program is waving the white flag and accepting the fact we can't compete for championships anymore, then they need walked out immediately.
Bent narrative syndrome. Iowa was the best team 2 of the last 5 years and the 2nd best, 2 of the remaining 3(I will not let the gambling thing the State is now being sued for, take away that inarguable fact). The other year, they were 3rd.

The facility is absolutely top of the line in every regard. Using, the lack of "natural light" and windows in the wrestling area as a negative is beyond comical.

Noone is waving the white flag. Brands absolutely needs to be innovating and doing more. But, it is also pure ignorance to ignore what PSU has accomplished. They didn't do it because Brands was somehow failing so badly that PSU received some type of trickle down effect. It was simply a perfect union of all the necessary parts fitting together almost perfectly.

You simply can't completely ignore one, while focusing solely on the other. The truth is, Brands absolutely could be doing better. But, he truly has actually done pretty damn good when you consider what he has been up against....

Get rid of Dan Dennis put Terry as HWC coach until Spencer is done then to become coach or he becomes the HWC coach. But this program doesn’t have 4 years of not making any changes in the staff. If we do it will be us in 10-15th place at NCAA’s. Recruits and families see all the turmoil in the program, if they don’t see some type of changes occurring they are not coming here or sending their kid here.
The Ferrari's are going to save Iowa Wrestling...

My not thinking you should spend a crazy amount of money to hire an unproven coach and fire a proven one is a loser mentality? On top of it, I am NOT convinced DT would do ANY better. That is the entire point. If DT were coming off 4 years of successful coaching somewhere and all indications were he would jump Iowa into contention with PSU, I wouldn't be arguing, however that simply is NOT the case.

Simply put, I HATE the grass is always greener on the other side mentality. You guys act like the grass is full of weeds, with dead patches and a grub infestation. The real truth is it is STILL very green and plush and you have a guy that is dedicated to it and bleeds black and gold more than ANYONE, in charge of it. You may not like his methods, but I still think he is the best guy for the job until someone else proves themselves.

The simple truth is DT has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to show that he is that guy to this point to fire someone like Brands and pay him even more money...
How is the recruiting going?

Don't let the door it ya, where the Good Lord split ya.

I'm hoping someone interviews Coleman Scott, soon to get his feelings on this.
I'd really like to hear what he has to say on the way this went down.

Reactions: el dub and Zapuj268
I think this is true.

The teams that have financial backers are going to be there regularly- PSU, tOSU, OSU, Michigan, and Iowa is up there too.

I dont think you need a great tactician as a coach, the kids come in with way more wrestling skill than they used to.

I love everything TnT are about, but that doesn't seem to be resonating with a high number of top level recruits right now. I also don't think DT to OSU really moves the needle a whole lot with regards to Iowa - Iowa is only getting 1-2 top 20 guys a year right now, and are fighting for the trophy spot, not the top spot. I said it elsewhere, but I'd expect the biggest impact to come to PSU's JV team, if DT can create a 'Happy Valley West'-like atmosphere.
It reminds me the old Betamax and VHS tapes. Everyone who knew the science behind them said the Betamax tapes were superior in almost every way. Better resolution, more capacity, smaller, they even came out before the VHS tapes did, but VHS was able to market their product and pretty soon, the Betamax tapes were obsolete and no one was using them. Everyone was using the VHS tapes.

TnT may have the best system, but if you cannot sell it, it becomes obsolete. It is hard to win a team championship or develop NCAA champions, if you can't or are not willing to sell your system. That doesn't mean they should change, but they have to accept the results. I just do not think the fans are going to accept the results.

Last edited:
Like it or not, Brands greatest accomplishment in the Cael/PSU era was his “recruitment” of an out-of-the-box stud (Spencer). It wasn’t coaching, training, or facilities that fueled the Hawk’s recent success, but a recruit who would’ve won NC’s anywhere.
That possibility of instant improvement of a team with just-add-water talent is the first powerful impact of DT’s hire and has nothing to do with coaching (though M2 proves he can do that, too). Career recognition, association with Cael/PSU, and plentiful NIL will then attract top portal guys that find no room at the Lion inn.
Cael’s perfect storm plays like a hurricane with wide, circular bands of success and influence fueling itself over talent-rich geography. DT’s may hit more like an Oklahoma tornado, with top-10-non-Lion recruits and top-shelf transfers quickly and powerfully changing Cowboy wrestling fortunes.

Like it or not, Brands greatest accomplishment in the Cael/PSU era was his “recruitment” of an out-of-the-box stud (Spenser). It wasn’t coaching, training, or facilities that fueled the Hawk’s recent success, but a recruit who would’ve won NC’s anywhere.
That possibility of instant improvement of a team with just-add-water talent is the first powerful impact of DT’s hire and has nothing to do with coaching (though M2 proves he can do that, too). Career recognition, association with Cael/PSU, and plentiful NIL will then attract top portal guys that find no room at the Lion inn.
Cael’s perfect storm plays like a hurricane with wide, circular bands of success and influence fueling itself over talent-rich geography. DT’s may hit more like an Oklahoma tornado, with top-10-non-Lion recruits and top-shelf transfers quickly and powerfully changing Cowboy wrestling fortunes.
Yep

The #1 overally recruit for 2024 and another top 10 for 2025. The sky is NOT falling. Yes, it could be better, but still not nearly as bad as the "Negative Nancy(s)" are proclaiming...

excuse me??? #1 overall recruit gets how close to winning a team title??? and one more top 10 guy in a weight where he may never win a title?

The sky has fallen and is continue to fall as TNT are doing NOTHING to stop it. You've said yourself the staff needs a shakeup, at a minimum. And that ain't happening. Just come on over sir.

Rick James GIF

NONE of this can be true...Almost ALL OF THE PSU TROLLS Guaranteed
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
that Taylor would NEVER leave State college because of his training school and his Wife's business. they REPEATEDLY said that DT wouldn't leave State College because he was next to follow Cael as the PSTATE coach and he couldn't be swayed... They all knew Taylor's thoughts because they are all on the INSIDE TRACK and the WE ARE folks know everything about wrestling...hell they invented it...just ask them.

You and T8kdown hate PSU much more than you love Iowa. It's sad.

The #1 overally recruit for 2024 and another top 10 for 2025. The sky is NOT falling. Yes, it could be better, but still not nearly as bad as the "Negative Nancy(s)" are proclaiming...

Younger generation don't give a crap about who the Brands are. The biggest problem is iowa has crap assistant coaches. Telford? Lol

Reactions: el dub and kkhawk
Oklahoma State will contend for a title this year if they land both Ailerez and Hendrickson. I would probably but them as the favorites if they land those 2 and get Haines, Kasak and Bearclaw to follow Taylor.
125 Spratley
133 Hughes
141 Kasak/Ailerez/Carter Young
149 Ailerez/Kasak/Williams
157 Haines/Bearclaw/Fish/Williams
165 Bearclaw/Haines/Fish
174 Hammitti
184 Plott
197 Carrol
285 Hendrickson
Even without Haines and Kasak they will contend and be the favorite for 2nd
125 Spratley
133 Hughes
141 Young
149 Ailerez
157 Bearclaw
165 Fish
174 Hamiti
184 Plott
197 Carrol
285 Hendrickson
Haines and Kasak have to stay or lose a year. The portal is closed.

Reactions: vhsalum
Bent narrative syndrome. Iowa was the best team 2 of the last 5 years and the 2nd best, 2 of the remaining 3(I will not let the gambling thing the State is now being sued for, take away that inarguable fact). The other year, they were 3rd.

The facility is absolutely top of the line in every regard. Using, the lack of "natural light" and windows in the wrestling area as a negative is beyond comical.

Noone is waving the white flag. Brands absolutely needs to be innovating and doing more. But, it is also pure ignorance to ignore what PSU has accomplished. They didn't do it because Brands was somehow failing so badly that PSU received some type of trickle down effect. It was simply a perfect union of all the necessary parts fitting together almost perfectly.

You simply can't completely ignore one, while focusing solely on the other. The truth is, Brands absolutely could be doing better. But, he truly has actually done pretty damn good when you consider what he has been up against....
To recap:

1. You freely admit Brands needs to do things differently.

2. Brands refuses to do things differently. (more than sufficient sample size)

3. You wonder why people want him gone.

You are funny in that you call people out for reading comprehension, but miss out so blindly here.

Look, in PLAIN ENGLISH, I have no issue with trying tons of stuff. If you have actually read my posts, I have said plenty of things that need to change under Brands. My very SIMPLE issue is that I DO NOT see a coach out there right now that gives me the level of confidence to simply fire Brands and bring them in.

I DO NOT like unprovens, when I already have a guy that bleeds for Iowa and has won 4 championships, while coaching against the most powerful dynasty this sport has ever seen. DT may prove to be the answer, but he may NOT. I simply do not see this hire as nearly the guarantee that many of you think it is and THAT is the part I am arguing against...

You say things need to change under Brands, yet he hasn't shown he's capable of making those changes. We all had hope after the "3 ring binder", young guns recruiting, Driving through the night to land Kem, etc. But now we're going the other way and Tom's interviews in the past year have given zero indication that he's interested in making the necessary changes to get back on top. No changes to his staff after the results the last few years is not a good sign. If Brands isn't willing to make the changes that you agree are necessary, why would we stick with Brands?

To recap:

1. You freely admit Brands needs to do things differently.

2. Brands refuses to do things differently. (more than sufficient sample size)

3. You wonder why people want him gone.

Jinx. You said it much more succinctly. Well said.

Reactions: TailgateTom
And what new stuff has Brands been trying??? Instead of flying out to Pennsylvania in the middle of the night for top recruits we’ll have Bobby call them instead? When that doesn’t work I’ll just recruit kids that have been accused of rape, shooting up a teammates house, beating up dads, driving recklessly and when that doesn’t work we’ll just build a tunnel leading straight from the wrestling room into Carver. Problems solved. lol Brands hasn’t done anything to evolve cause he’s to damn stubborn. What top coaching prospect would want to come in and be an assistant for him even for a year? It would be his way or the highway. Leaving us with the same boring 3-1 match’s or hey we’re going to get taken down and lose this match in the last 30 seconds that Brands still can’t seem to fix. The shits old man. If you and the other boot lickers want to sink with the ship be my guest but I think the majority are ready to try our hands with something else.

Askren isn’t leaving his life in Wisconsin to be a recruiting coordinator.

There are lots of dream scenarios being thrown around right now but the fact is that DT was an actual legitimate option for Iowa wrestling and we balked.

Scared money don’t make money.
And DT wasn't a legitimate option until someone picked up the phone. Do you honestly believe M* and Telford, although I'm a fan of both, would make a better staff than Cox and Mocco with Askren recruiting?

Reactions: Zapuj268
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT