ADVERTISEMENT

What Is Wrong With Fran McCaffery?

danloney

HR MVP
Sep 20, 2007
He just cannot recruit! Every day I see new developing about this guy transferring to Iowa State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Creighton and on and on. Never Iowa! What is wrong? Is Beth Goetz not taking note? Are we that undesirable to these kids? Iowa just appears as a non player any longer. If that is so Fran needs to be replaced with an aggressive, defensive-minded coach that appeals to these top players.

He just cannot recruit! Every day I see new developing about this guy transferring to Iowa State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Creighton and on and on. Never Iowa! What is wrong? Is Beth Goetz not taking note? Are we that undesirable to these kids? Iowa just appears as a non player any longer. If that is so Fran needs to be replaced with an aggressive, defensive-minded coach that appeals to these top players.
Can someone translate WTF the OP is talking about?

Maybe you wait until the transfer season is over before jumping off the cliff?

i wouldn't doubt his hands are tied to some extent. i honestly think the administration gives him specific boxes his recruits must check (not race!) and i think that limits his recruiting pool. i don't know what the boxes are, but i bet they exist.

it might help to explain why we never get guards like the ones we see playing after the 1st weekend of the tourney.... and i mean the NIT.

He has no $$ to work with. It's well documented that Iowa NIL fund for basketball pails in comparison to schools like ISU.

Transfer portal is free agency. It's 90% about money for these players. You can't pin this squarely on Fran.

Can’t wait until Fran adds another 6’7-6’10 pillow soft wing to really energize the fan base!!!
Well, yeah, but can you translate WTF is trying to be said in the first two sentences?

I agree Fran is probably hot on the trail of some 6’9 white guy from the Pioneer League or some shit, but I would like someone to at least translate the second sentence from dumbass into English.

He has no $$ to work with. It's well documented that Iowa NIL fund for basketball pails in comparison to schools like ISU.

Transfer portal is free agency. It's 90% about money for these players. You can't pin this squarely on Fran.
I’ve also heard Fran is against paying transfers any sort of real money because he doesn’t want a transfer to get more than any player already on the team. Whether that’s true or not, I don’t know.

I also wonder if there would be a greater investment in basketball from the fans who actually write the checks if they had any faith in Fran whatsoever. I know his two kids are now gone, but why would anyone want to pay for the next potential Keegan Murray to sit on the bench behind a McCaffrey?

I’ve also heard Fran is against paying transfers any sort of real money because he doesn’t want a transfer to get more than any player already on the team. Whether that’s true or not, I don’t know.

I also wonder if there would be a greater investment in basketball from the fans who actually write the checks if they had any faith in Fran whatsoever. I know his two kids are now gone, but why would anyone want to pay for the next potential Keegan Murray to sit on the bench behind a McCaffrey?

Thats a smart strategy by fans. Lets give no support to the program, so the program withers and dies, fran gets fired, and then we can bring in a good coach!

Except there's one glaring flaw in that logic: why would a good coach want to go to a program with zero fan support?

"Come coach at Iowa! Fans haven't liked the last 3 coaches, they don't come to games, and they don't give to the NIL fund!!!" That should reel in that great coach fans have always desired!

The funniest thing in this thread is the Beth comment. She got a certain portion of the fan base so excited when Brian got booted, they all thought she was some sort of gunslinger that was going to fulfill all their wishes…

But the reality is their wishes are rarely good for the program, and I’ve heard quite a bit of rumbling that the Brian thing came from the very tiptop not Beth.

Obviously, obviously many on here have said the same thing.

I’d say were only a year or two away from the fans turning on her…😳

• Love
Reactions: Hendy hawk
Thats a smart strategy by fans. Lets give no support to the program, so the program withers and dies, fran gets fired, and then we can bring in a good coach!

Except there's one glaring flaw in that logic: why would a good coach want to go to a program with zero fan support?

"Come coach at Iowa! Fans haven't liked the last 3 coaches, they don't come to games, and they don't give to the NIL fund!!!" That should reel in that great coach fans have always desired!

Bing-fvcking-O!!!!!! you’re way too smart for this board

Reactions: perryhawk

Okay?

One, Iowa has been one of the cushiest jobs in P5 with as many unmerited contract extensions as Fran has received under Barta.

Second, fan apathy is real, whether you like it or not. If fans aren’t showing up to games, they probably aren’t writing checks, either. Correct me if I am wrong, but don’t fans who donate to Swarm choose which sport(s) there donation goes to?

Regardless, many young promising coaches would welcome a large pay increase Iowa could provide.

I do get that Fran has little to no NIL support but isn't that his job? Shouldn't he be posting on social media or doing interviews as to why we should donate? Not only does he actively resist it but his results just aren't there to justify anyone giving him $1. Here's his options

Dear Hawkeye Nation..... we have a good core...... we need a piece or 2 to be very good next season..... we are looking into ways to improve defense...... please support us..... Then all us fans say ok Fran take our money

OR the other option which he always takes is

Wah I hate NIL, and the transfer portal. Then all us fans say well FU Fran

Doesn’t care about defense.

That fact cost him any momentum he had when NBA talent dotted his roster.

At this point he is walking the green mile into retirement and the only question is when.

It’s over. He peaked. Zero chance the program captures the hearts or attention of the fans from this point forward.

Okay?

One, Iowa has been one of the cushiest jobs in P5 with as many unmerited contract extensions as Fran has received under Barta.

Second, fan apathy is real, whether you like it or not. If fans aren’t showing up to games, they probably aren’t writing checks, either. Correct me if I am wrong, but don’t fans who donate to Swarm choose which sport(s) there donation goes to?

Regardless, many young promising coaches would welcome a large pay increase Iowa could provide.

Dude, honestly I don’t even know why you watch sports…the cushiest of jobs what the ****…

Buddy, we really don’t have any coaches that “deserve” to be fired. I’m willing to wager 98% of the people on this board doubling down on you in particular, have not performed close to the level at their jobs that these coaches are, that you are constantly bitching about…

Give me the number to your boss I think he should fire you…

I mean clearly, you have plenty of time to be on a message board bitching about somebody else

i wouldn't doubt his hands are tied to some extent. i honestly think the administration gives him specific boxes his recruits must check (not race!) and i think that limits his recruiting pool. i don't know what the boxes are, but i bet they exist.

it might help to explain why we never get guards like the ones we see playing after the 1st weekend of the tourney.... and i mean the NIT.
I've always wondered about this too.

Maybe I'm delusional, but aren't there more ex-hawks in the professional ranks the last 10 years, then maybe the 20 before that?

Bing-fvcking-O!!!!!! you’re way too smart for this board
If he thinks like you, I can assure you he’s not.

You have exactly one point of view to ever share, Chad, and that is your simple-minded assertion that every mention of a coaching change is just fickle, brainless whims from fans who don’t get it. That is literally all you ever talk about, and yet you have the audacity to accuse others of being arrogant.

On top of that, you love to erroneously conflate Fran McCaffrey’s tenure to other coaching situations, as if fan unrest with Fran McCaffrey is even remotely comparable to a few disgruntled idiots who have voiced having a bone to pick with (i.e.) Matt Painter at Purdue. Completely absurd, illogical horse shit like that is one of many examples of why you are not to be taken seriously.

Dude, honestly I don’t even know why you watch sports…the cushiest of jobs what the ****…

Buddy, we really don’t have any coaches that “deserve” to be fired. I’m willing to wager 98% of the people on this board doubling down on you in particular, have not performed close to the level at their jobs that these coaches are, that you are constantly bitching about…

Give me the number to your boss I think he should fire you…

I mean clearly, you have plenty of time to be on a message board bitching about somebody else
Yes, no one here is as smart as you, Chad. We established that a long time ago.

And yet, you are wrong about nearly everything. All you ever talk about is your feelings and how people who point out obvious flaws in the basketball or football programs are just dumb, meanie butts who don’t get it. Boo hoo. Btw, I get performance evaluations routinely at my job, like anyone else does, and I am consistently graded as proficient to distinguished in every category. So, lol, at another ridiculous, abjectly stupid assertion by you that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Furthermore, if you have read a majority of my posts, which you seem to have based on your stalker comments directed at me, then you would know that I have been more than fair to Fran McCaffrey and have even stated my belief that this season was his best coaching job at Iowa given the serious lack of talent and youth. But, of course, as always, you will refuse to correct your error and continue to project your own nonsense on to me.

Oh, and I can assure you that you frequent these boards as much as me, if not more. I’m also off work this week and am spending a little more time chit chatting than normal, since you seem so interested.

LOL the administration is absolutely not telling Fran who he can and cannot recruit.

This could be part of the problem.....or a potential solve of a problem if we take a similar approach.
From the Wisconsin mens head BBall coach..."My staff and I, led by coach Krabbenhoft, started this initiative over a year ago of our "Sixth man society" as part of the Varsity Collective. Put a lot of boots on the ground raising funds. We've been able to almost triple our NIL collective in terms of men's basketball in a year".

Okay?

I understand your point, but you are wrong about a few things.

1. Iowa is not a “cushy” job. Objectively: Fran is the 11th paid coach in the B10 (3rd lowest). And your point about Barta contracts is irrelevant, he isn’t here anymore. Salary is not great, facilities are not great, fan support is not great.

2. Not all fans get to choose where their funds go to. You have to pay over a certain threshold to get a say.

Lastly I’ll say this - I agree there is apathy in the fanbase and it probably won’t ever go away until fran is gone. But another way to say that is: we have fair weather basketball fans.

I guess my point is that I wish fans would accept the fact that - while Fran isn’t a GREAT coach - the fanbase has not been GREAT either

Last edited:
$$$$$$$, Fran doesn't have it.

Jeez, it’s not that hard…… he left an “s” off the word “new”.

Translated: Everybody else (other basketball programs) are enticing transfers to their programs and Iowa rarely signs athletes that take them to the next level.

Hope that helps…….
4f4a37c5-e992-408c-b2b5-6c6d1b5ff626_text.gif

There's literally over 1000 players in the portal and maybe 50 have committed somewhere--even less if you filter for P6 schools. Hell, 3 of the 4 schools you listed as landing all of these players still haven't landed anyone out of the portal so not sure why you are using them as examples?

Iowa has some visits lined up with some PGs following the week-long recruiting dead period we are now in for the coaches meetings down at the final 4. If you've been paying attention, we are contacting a lot of starting level PGs. Put on some patient pants and chill; some of the better PGs we are in on didn't even go into the portal until a couple of days ago--we don't need to rush to take home the first girl we see at the bar when a group of hotties just walked in. That's not necessarily a recipe for success.

Some college basketball coaches won’t know what their roster looks like until the end of June.

I do get that Fran has little to no NIL support but isn't that his job? Shouldn't he be posting on social media or doing interviews as to why we should donate? Not only does he actively resist it but his results just aren't there to justify anyone giving him $1. Here's his options

Dear Hawkeye Nation..... we have a good core...... we need a piece or 2 to be very good next season..... we are looking into ways to improve defense...... please support us..... Then all us fans say ok Fran take our money

OR the other option which he always takes is

Wah I hate NIL, and the transfer portal. Then all us fans say well FU Fran
fran is a good part of the reason there is little nil. Apathy is a terrible thing.

If he thinks like you, I can assure you he’s not.

You have exactly one point of view to ever share, Chad, and that is your simple-minded assertion that every mention of a coaching change is just fickle, brainless whims from fans who don’t get it. That is literally all you ever talk about, and yet you have the audacity to accuse others of being arrogant.

On top of that, you love to erroneously conflate Fran McCaffrey’s tenure to other coaching situations, as if fan unrest with Fran McCaffrey is even remotely comparable to a few disgruntled idiots who have voiced having a bone to pick with (i.e.) Matt Painter at Purdue. Completely absurd, illogical horse shit like that is one of many examples of why you are not to be taken seriously.

LOL….your smart enough to know not everyone on this board agrees with that.

Only whiny bitchers like you….and I’m ok with that old friend.

This was pretty much the response I was hoping for, somebody who is proud and arrogant, calling somebody else proud and arrogant…

You’ll notice that’s never a direction I go do you know why? It’s weak, it’s trite, and it’s purely a deflection there is no substance…

It is literally the best you can do…😛

JMO. A growing segment of the Iowa fans are tired of McCaffery due to the following examples (no particular order or inclusive):
1) the most recent past display of nepotism on the team (6/8 years running now)
2) his sideline tantrums although decreasing (probably due to BG expectations)
3) middle of the pack finishes (around 500 in BIG)
4) not capitalizing on the NBA players when on Iowa roster
5) no sweet sixteen and blown opportunities in the NCAA tourney
6) other than Iowa connected recruits his recruiting is mediocre at best
7) he does not generate any excitement with the fanbase at this point given his production during his tenure
8) Iowa is realistically out of the conference race typically by mid-season
9) Iowa does not play defense and he does not appear to care to remedy

All the above readily apparent to fans and possible recruits alike. What is to be excited about in Men's BBall?

Jeez, it’s not that hard…… he left an “s” off the word “new”.

Translated: Everybody else (other basketball programs) are enticing transfers to their programs and Iowa rarely signs athletes that take them to the next level.

Hope that helps…….

@RagnarLothbrok is an extreme douche i’ve actually noticed in recent weeks that people who often have sided with him in the past have disagreed with him🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT