ADVERTISEMENT

What's the latest report on DeSanto? Is he done for the year?

Imo the key to Iowa winning a title is Bull placing top 3. Bull top 3 and Ayala AA equals Lee +Marinelli last year. Obviously we need everyone else healthy and wrestling well. We should get 25-30 points more from 49,65,84 compared to last year. Lose 10-15 at 125. If the other 6 weights do what we did last year we are still +15 roughly. Is that enough to win, we’ll see.

it's not a mole hill. Austin DeSanto is a star and a point scoring machine. major impact for the team race. having/not having him available is a major major story. as is the status of Schriever, who was a pretty dang big recruit.

I don't blame Tom for not being open about the situation - that's his right. But i also don't blame wrestling fans across america for being curious or talking about it. i'd be much more concerned about the state of wrestling fandom if no one was talking about a situation involving anyone of DeSanto's magnitude.
someone has been found out and is looking for any information he can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuck285
I don’t know how this got changed to a post from me. I’m an old, damn it.

not me: Desanto and Eierman aren’t getting medical RS waivers. Both dealing with a little/a little more something. Eierman will be back and I suspect Desanto will too eventually. A dinged up Desanto is better than Schriever at this point. Doesn’t explain pulling Schriever’s RS other than Desanto could be out a good chunk until B1Gs and it’s good experience for the guy who will be the guy at 133 next year. If the coaches, Schriever and the family feel wrestling some B1G duals is better for his development now, with the likelihood of not wrestling postseason, then that would be an explanation I can accept.
And one I agree with, for the most part.

Last edited:
I can never remember a championship team in history ever being so banged up. Not even close. Lots of reasons for that I’ll leave to speculators. I’ll be at the bridge ready to bang as always.

Reactions: honkey69 and el dub
what I am saying is. Why even be an Iowa Wrestling fan if you are going to write off THiS team already

I am a Iowa Wrestling fan to have fun and pass the time in this generally rough world. fantasizing about how they will pull off ANOTHER championship is where a lot of the enjoyment comes from.

The actual NCAAs are a drunken blur that fly by and once they are done I start thinking about the next Championships.

what enjoyment do you get out of being the first Iowa fan to write a team off on a forum? Is it the I told you so factor?

What is wrong with getting your hopes up? It is one thing to not want to get them up for a bad coach or a group of guys that are not trying. This team is not that. We have a crap ton of talent on this team and it is January.

what I am saying is. Why even be an Iowa Wrestling fan if you are going to write off THiS team already

I am a Iowa Wrestling fan to have fun and pass the time in this generally rough world. fantasizing about how they will pull off ANOTHER championship is where a lot of the enjoyment comes from.

The actual NCAAs are a drunken blur that fly by and once they are done I start thinking about the next Championships.

what enjoyment do you get out of being the first Iowa fan to write a team off on a forum? Is it the I told you so factor?

What is wrong with getting your hopes up? It is one thing to not want to get them up for a bad coach or a group of guys that are not trying. This team is not that. We have a crap ton of talent on this team and it is January.
Enjoy the damn ride

Nothing wrong with being hopeful. I'm hopeful they can pull it off, the confidence level is just less. Of course what fans think is completely meaningless. The coaches and wrestlers are the ones that have to get it done. I would love it if they could dial it in and make it happen. The yearly ritual of people (typically not regulars) who had overly unrealistic (or more like ignorant) expectations of the team's performance coming on here and complaining about how bad this that and the other thing were at the end of the season tends to make me more tempered. Like with Bull, it's not like he has lost to bums at NCAAs and he can't help that he got hurt but people come on ranting about him choking. I guess I prefer to be tempered and bask in enjoyment if it happens than less tempered and eat crap if it doesn't. I'll happily admit I underestimated them if they win it and heap lots of praise to those deserving.

If it were just guys saying Iowa is no longer the favorite, it wouldn’t be an issue. But, some of you guys are posting like they have no chance. That simply isn’t close to true. Even with Lee out, they have a legit chance to have 10 AA’s. You simply can’t count out a team like that.

Now, I wouldn’t predict 10, but there have been very few team throughout history this deep. As long as DeSanto isn’t out too, like Willie has been saying, this team is right in it:

125: most teams lose a guy like Lee and their chances are gone. Not Iowa. Ayala is proving he is able to compete with the 5-12 guys and could score 10-15 crucial points. But, for this exercise I will go 2-15 points in range.

133: DeSanto is a 15-25 pt guy if healthy. I just don’t see him losing to anyone other than Fix or RBY and I wouldn’t completely count him out from beating one of them if everything goes right. 15-25 points

141: Eierman is still undefeated. Go doom and gloom all you want but he still found ways to win those close matches that most wouldn’t have. He is another 15-25 pt guy.

149: Murin can reach the podium. He is still limited against fast guys that can wrestle from space. But, he still looks hungry and determined. He could be a guy that bolsters their chances by AAing for the 1st time. 2-12 points

157: Too many count him out every year and he keeps proving you wrong by AAing. 2-14 points

165: Alex has his chance to be the captain everyone knows he is and put the team on his shoulders. With Lee out, he is the true deciding factor. He can score 20+ points more than he did last year. If that happens Iowa wins it guaranteed. Still, as deep as the weight is I would give him a very wide range, but still AA status. 10-23 points

174: Even with the shoulder, who do you really see beating him? Maybe Starocci, Lewis or Hidlay, but after them I just don’t see it. So 15-24 points.

184: Abe is your icing on the cake guy. If he does end up on the podium, I would be willing to bet Iowa wins it all. As long as the lineup stays as is. For now I would say 2-14 points range.

197: Warner is really good. Don’t get caught up in how (un)entertaining his wrestling is and just trust that he will AA yet again. 9-19 points.

285: I admit, so far, the body transformation hasn’t appeared to result in better wrestling from Cass. But, we haven’t seen him against a true AA candidate yet. Til then, I would lower his bottom range a bit, but I still can’t pick him to finish off the stand. 8-20 points.

So, if basically everything went wrong I have Iowa scoring 80 points and 6 AAs. That is too good of a team to count out. If you did a realistic low end with PSU, their total would be less simply by dropping the returning champs to 3rd or 4th place finishes. Which wouldn’t be unrealistic. Let alone having a guy like Hildebrandt miss the podium and 149-165 scoring less than 5 points total.

To me, the championship is going to really be decided by what Alex and Abe do for Iowa vs. what Dean and Kerkvliet do for PSU. They are the ones that can score quite a few more points than what their respective weights scored for their teams last season.

Desanto and Eierman aren’t getting medical RS waivers. Both dealing with a little/a little more something. Eierman will be back and I suspect Desanto will too eventually. A dinged up Desanto is better than Schriever at this point. Doesn’t explain pulling Schriever’s RS other than Desanto could be out a good chunk until B1Gs and it’s good experience for the guy who will be the guy at 133 next year. If the coaches, Schriever and the family feel wrestling some B1G duals is better for his development now, with the likelihood of not wrestling postseason, then that would be an explanation I can accept.
And one I agree with, for the most part.
Hell, I agree but didn’t post that. Must have been trying to quote it. Lol

285: I admit, so far, the body transformation hasn’t appeared to result in better wrestling from Cass. But, we haven’t seen him against a true AA candidate yet. Til then, I would lower his bottom range a bit, but I still can’t pick him to finish off the stand. 8-20 points.

Cass wrestled Stencel and was winning when Stencel got hurt, and he beat Jordan Wood.

Love the rest of your post, though.

Cass wrestled Stencel and was winning when Stencel got hurt, and he beat Jordan Wood.

Love the rest of your post, though.
He pounded Stencel before and I think earlier versions of Cass beats Wood more than 3-2 as well. Now, I didn’t mean he can’t still beat anyone but Gable or Parris, but I am admittedly afraid that his transformation to chase them down has left him more vulnerable to Kerkvliet and Schultz and trip-uppable by next tier guys like Wood and Hillger.

The fluke pin admittedly scares me a bit. The bigger Cass doesn’t have that happen against him. Now that doesn’t mean he loses to any of those guys, but I am more nervous about it this year when I wasn’t at all last year…

Reactions: MVPFAN
He pounded Stencel before and I think earlier versions of Cass beats Wood more than 3-2 as well. Now, I didn’t mean he can’t still beat anyone but Gable or Parris, but I am admittedly afraid that his transformation to chase them down has left him more vulnerable to Kerkvliet and Schultz and trip-uppable by next tier guys like Wood and Hillger.

The fluke pin admittedly scares me a bit. The bigger Cass doesn’t have that happen against him. Now that doesn’t mean he loses to any of those guys, but I am more nervous about it this year when I wasn’t at all last year…
Just saying you said we haven't seen him against true all Americans and we've seen him against a couple.

Absolutely more nervous about him this year than last year. He was about as much of a guaranteed 3rd place finish as a healthy spencer 1st. Also worry that it hurts with his bonus points, as he doesn't seem to be able to use his weight to ride and dominate on top as much. I'd feel so bad for him if all that work he put in ends up making him more vulnerable. Hopefully this off season now that he's cut down, he puts on about 20 pounds of muscle and gets back up to a lean 270 or so.

Reactions: johnyt9
If it were just guys saying Iowa is no longer the favorite, it wouldn’t be an issue. But, some of you guys are posting like they have no chance. That simply isn’t close to true. Even with Lee out, they have a legit chance to have 10 AA’s. You simply can’t count out a team like that.

Now, I wouldn’t predict 10, but there have been very few team throughout history this deep. As long as DeSanto isn’t out too, like Willie has been saying, this team is right in it:

125: most teams lose a guy like Lee and their chances are gone. Not Iowa. Ayala is proving he is able to compete with the 5-12 guys and could score 10-15 crucial points. But, for this exercise I will go 2-15 points in range.

133: DeSanto is a 15-25 pt guy if healthy. I just don’t see him losing to anyone other than Fix or RBY and I wouldn’t completely count him out from beating one of them if everything goes right. 15-25 points

141: Eierman is still undefeated. Go doom and gloom all you want but he still found ways to win those close matches that most wouldn’t have. He is another 15-25 pt guy.

149: Murin can reach the podium. He is still limited against fast guys that can wrestle from space. But, he still looks hungry and determined. He could be a guy that bolsters their chances by AAing for the 1st time. 2-12 points

157: Too many count him out every year and he keeps proving you wrong by AAing. 2-14 points

165: Alex has his chance to be the captain everyone knows he is and put the team on his shoulders. With Lee out, he is the true deciding factor. He can score 20+ points more than he did last year. If that happens Iowa wins it guaranteed. Still, as deep as the weight is I would give him a very wide range, but still AA status. 10-23 points

174: Even with the shoulder, who do you really see beating him? Maybe Starocci, Lewis or Hidlay, but after them I just don’t see it. So 15-24 points.

184: Abe is your icing on the cake guy. If he does end up on the podium, I would be willing to bet Iowa wins it all. As long as the lineup stays as is. For now I would say 2-14 points range.

197: Warner is really good. Don’t get caught up in how (un)entertaining his wrestling is and just trust that he will AA yet again. 9-19 points.

So, if basically everything went wrong I have Iowa scoring 80 points and 6 AAs. That is too good of a team to count out. If you did a realistic low end with PSU, their total would be less simply by dropping the returning champs to 3rd or 4th place finishes. Which wouldn’t be unrealistic. Let alone having a guy like Hildebrandt miss the podium and 149-165 scoring less than 5 points total.

To me, the championship is going to really be decided by what Alex and Abe do for Iowa vs. what Dean and Kerkvliet do for PSU. They are the ones that can score quite a few more points than what their respective weights scored for their teams last season.
Man, I’m not exactly known for being concise, but that is a lot of words to type if it really does boil down to “He can score 20+ points more than he did last year. If that happens Iowa wins it guaranteed.

I don’t believe the performance of a single individual ever guarantees a team championship in this sport.

Just saying you said we haven't seen him against true all Americans and we've seen him against a couple.

Absolutely more nervous about him this year than last year. He was about as much of a guaranteed 3rd place finish as a healthy spencer 1st. Also worry that it hurts with his bonus points, as he doesn't seem to be able to use his weight to ride and dominate on top as much. I'd feel so bad for him if all that work he put in ends up making him more vulnerable. Hopefully this off season now that he's cut down, he puts on about 20 pounds of muscle and gets back up to a lean 270 or so.

The biggest threat to Cass not finishing 3rd is a healthy Kirkvliet with more collegiate mat experience, not Cass losing 20 lbs of fat.

Being stronger with less bad weight despite being smaller will overall be a net gain for his career.

The biggest threat to Cass not finishing 3rd is a healthy Kirkvliet with more collegiate mat experience, not Cass losing 20 lbs of fat.

Being stronger with less bad weight despite being smaller will overall be a net gain for his career.
I certainly hope you're correct, but I've seen more close calls with Cass this season then the rest of his career combined (minus his redshirt season, he was wild then).

Also I wouldn't bet on anybody to beat him except the top two, I'm still penciling him in at 3rd, just saying I'm more worried this year than the previous years, because his matches have shown that guys can move him around significantly easier with his 20 pounds less weight.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Why are DeSanto & Eierman not wrestling again today against Illinois? The fill ins at those weights are clearly not ready for the big time & wouldn't produce a single point in the NCAA's. DeSanto & Eierman need these tough B1G match ups especially DeSanto against a top 5 opponent in Byrd. Schriever was disappointedly overmatched. I get giving them a single match off but all weekend??? Anyone have any word on either wrestler? Are they just getting a rest, injury, discipline?? It appears from it's not a COVID issue with reports saying that both have been on the bench. Does anyone know if either weighed in today against Illinois? I know Brands has been frustrated with Eierman with his close matches against inferior opponents but the only way he can work his way out of it is to wrestle more B1G matches. They need more matches to get in top form for the B1G's & NCAA's!

Why are DeSanto & Eierman not wrestling again today against Illinois? The fill ins at those weights are clearly not ready for the big time & wouldn't produce a single point in the NCAA's. DeSanto & Eierman need these tough B1G match ups especially DeSanto against a top 5 opponent in Byrd. Schriever was disappointedly overmatched. I get giving them a single match off but all weekend??? Anyone have any word on either wrestler? Are they just getting a rest, injury, discipline?? It appears from it's not a COVID issue with reports saying that both have been on the bench. Does anyone know if either weighed in today against Illinois? I know Brands has been frustrated with Eierman with his close matches against inferior opponents but the only way he can work his way out of it is to wrestle more B1G matches. They need more matches to get in top form for the B1G's & NCAA's!
You just encapsulated the board activity of the past week.

DeSanto appeared extremely fatigued on the BTN broadcast against Illinois. Despite being shown multiple times in street clothes while sitting in the seats behind the coaches, not once did DeSanto motion any coaches, teammates, or the cameras for an international restart.

Desanto was wearing shorts, which makes me think he may have been drilling for warm-ups.
DeSanto appeared extremely fatigued on the BTN broadcast against Illinois. Despite being shown multiple times in street clothes while sitting in the seats behind the coaches, not once did DeSanto motion any coaches, teammates, or the cameras for an international restart.

Reactions: TarpHawk

They said Friday that the same lineup would be out there today.

And that is a great summary of multiple threads on the board since Friday. No one has answers. But congrats on a good job. I bet you submit amazing book reports

Stop guessing. They will be fine when the time is ready!! Y’all sound like mineo guessing. They will be ready when the time comes. Stop it!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT