ADVERTISEMENT

Where there’s smoke…..

Why does everyone have this defeatist attitude regarding Shaka Smart and others like him? Iowa can throw a lot of money at a coach. Dare to dream big.

So can Big East schools. They are basketball only, and they are basically the tops with the SEC in the NIL game.

Supposedly a school like Georgetown, who has absolutely sucked lately, is going to have major NIL dollars to throw around this year.

If it happens and I think it is time. Greg McDermott is someone that could get people back in the stands. Moderate success, from Iowa, plays up tempo and builds a pretty decent roster. Not sure if defense is a prioriy but certainly not abysmal like recent Iowa teams
Except Greg McDermott would never take a huge step back to come to Iowa. Especially with the new monster extension he just signed with Creighton when OSU fired Holtmann towards the end of the year.

So can Big East schools. They are basketball only, and they are basically the tops with the SEC in the NIL game.

Supposedly a school like Georgetown, who has absolutely sucked lately, is going to have major NIL dollars to throw around this year.
Most of the big east schools are better jobs than Iowa. Marquette, Georgetown (even though they are down), Creighton, UConn, Villanova, St. John’s, Xavier all better jobs. All the above schools have much nicer basketball facilities, better NIL, and better fan support (for men’s bball). Iowa is a better job than DePaul, though. So we can press that advantage!

Last edited:
While we contemplate replacements for Fran.

The open question is where will he go?

I don’t see Beth making a change at this point.

52 y/o former coach of the year......KENO DAVIS.

"Davis currently serves as a college men’s basketball color commentator with ESPN+, but he will undoubtedly be back on the sidelines in the near future". Just kidding ...that would be wild though.

Wha?

That wouldn't even be a lateral move for him.
What? What networks is Marquette on? Probably get paid more and the Big 10 is turning out weak again this year in the Ncaas so Smart could get into the top 3 or 4 every year.

What? What networks is Marquette on? Probably get paid more and the Big 10 is turning out weak again this year in the Ncaas so Smart could get into the top 3 or 4 every year.
The same one that this school called Connecticut plays on. I hear they aren’t bad. Fran and Shaka probably make the same amount of money. He has much better NIL and facilities and fan following at Marquette too.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Now is probably the best time.
Hmmm, OK.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
Fran is one of those coaches who will be more beloved with the fan base as a former coach than as the current coach. His teams and his records can be looked with with grace and achievement, once he’s gone.
I don’t think so. He lost any goodwill with how he’s handled playing time the last six or seven seasons with certain players. And whether you like Fran or not, “grace” is the absolute last word in the dictionary for describing his tenure.

Reactions: Herkylian
I’m lying about an unsubstantiated rumor? No, I’m telling The Truth about what I heard. Whether anything happens is another thing altogether.
And where did you hear this from exactly, your work place breakroom? I just don’t know what you expect to have a conversation about here with a vague post like this. To me if Patrick thought or knew his dad was leaving, he would try to let him announce that before jumping in the portal.

Reactions: gojojo and 83Hawk
If he accepts a new coaching position, Fran would actually owe the U of Iowa $500,000.
I would imagine something could be worked out, especially since the contract was negotiated by the previous AD. I guess it would depend on if it were to be a mutual departure. Maybe Beth enjoys Fran's sideline antics and is happy with him!
Mad Kicking And Screaming GIF by MOODMAN

I would imagine something could be worked out, especially since the contract was negotiated by the previous AD. I guess it would depend on if it were to be a mutual departure. Maybe Beth enjoys Fran's sideline antics and is happy with him!
Mad Kicking And Screaming GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah, I doubt $500k would be much of a deal breaker for either party when they’re discussing multimillion contracts, but it is in there. That $500k falls off at the end of next season I believe. It was one million for the first two years of the contract extension 2022&23 and $500k for years 2024&25.

Would be sickening to have missed on DeVries. Get Tucker for a year as well.
You'd think that if Beth knew this was in the works, she would have had DeVries on her short list...maybe even have been in touch with him.
8,000 more butts in CHA isn't gonna happen overnight. It's gonna take one hell of a bump in the product. Before someone says "Yeah, but look at the women this year". Exactly. It takes something that generational and unique to fill the place for hoops.

And where did you hear this from exactly, your work place breakroom? I just don’t know what you expect to have a conversation about here with a vague post like this. To me if Patrick thought or knew his dad was leaving, he would try to let him announce that before jumping in the portal.
I know the OP. He heard this rumor from Gabe Utsechs. Greg is big doner and friends with former football player Mike Oxlong who works in real eastate and heard Fran is selling his house and taking the Drake job.

Fran is one of those coaches who will be more beloved with the fan base as a former coach than as the current coach. His teams and his records can be looked with with grace and achievement, once he’s gone.

I don't spend a lot of time going back and beloving former coaches. If I did, Lute would be #1 because he gave us a Final 4, Raveling #2 because he recruited the guys that Davis took to Elite8. Davis is next---last sweet16, Fran is a little better than Alford and their accomplishments are kind of similar. LIckliter i of course was terrible but he was a relatively short 3 year blip vs say 14 years of okay with little exceptionalism. Fran and his boys is sore point.

You'd think that if Beth knew this was in the works, she would have had DeVries on her short list...maybe even have been in touch with him.
8,000 more butts in CHA isn't gonna happen overnight. It's gonna take one hell of a bump in the product. Before someone says "Yeah, but look at the women this year". Exactly. It takes something that generational and unique to fill the place for hoops.
Fran is sticking it to her for his BFF Kirk. Tenured, mediocre coaches need to have each other’s back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT