ADVERTISEMENT

Where there’s smoke…..

If it happens and I think it is time. Greg McDermott is someone that could get people back in the stands. Moderate success, from Iowa, plays up tempo and builds a pretty decent roster. Not sure if defense is a prioriy but certainly not abysmal like recent Iowa teams
Why would he leave a BB school like Creighton with NIL to spend on one sport to come here? Other than the payday,its going to be very difficult for Iowa to compete in mens BB. I don't know how Iowa is going to get out of its death spiral in BB. We don't have fan enthusiasm to go to games anymore. Our NIL is nil. It was always an uphill battle to recruit here. Now NIL makes it even worse.

Most of the big east schools are better jobs than Iowa. Marquette, Georgetown (even though they are down), Creighton, UConn, Villanova, St. John’s, Xavier all better jobs. All the above schools have much nicer basketball facilities, better NIL, and better fan support (for men’s bball). Iowa is a better job than DePaul, though. So we can press that advantage!

IMO Big East schools are a better job than most, including Iowa State.

After 14 years … no more sad ending repeats. The time is now. Bite the bullet and make a change. Bringing him back for one more year simply delays bringing in the next coach. This is the end of Fran - now or he gets one more year. Fan apathy is intense and will worsen. Make the change BG… it’s time.

Someone who knows Fran well, said he sold his house last month and bought one closer to Carver...
Wa, Wa, Waaaah
Sad Baby GIF

Last edited:
I’m starting to hear some rumblings regarding Fran’s future at Iowa. Nothing definitive, but it makes since considering Pat’s departure and Jack’s decision not to play at Iowa. We aren’t talking retirement, but an offer to coach elsewhere(possibly Jack playing for him)

I’ll keep my ear to the ground to see if there’s anything at all to this rumor. It would probably be in everyone’s best interest if this change did come to fruition.
Still remember how the Kevin Johns thing went down (hoping this time is different).

And where did you hear this from exactly, your work place breakroom? I just don’t know what you expect to have a conversation about here with a vague post like this. To me if Patrick thought or knew his dad was leaving, he would try to let him announce that before jumping in the portal.
I overheard it at Caseys while i was getting a pizza xlice

No shit.

If people think Iowa is going to lure Smart ir McDermott they just have no clue of the landscape today.

This isn't 1995.

As a basketball coach you want to be in the big east.
Not sure USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon are not football only programs. Plus the money is going to be insane

Look at the support the Iowa Women get. If the Iowa Men win, the fans will show up.

The $ the B1G is getting and will get, will blow away Creighton or any Big East team.

Whats happened with Iowa women’s bball and the Caitlin Clark phenomenon is crazy special. You really can’t use it as a benchmark for anything. You’re not going to see CHA like that next year.

Some will disagree but CHA still has some fundamental design problems and always will. (Bowl too wide, seats too far from the floor, too many aisles) It takes a lot to overcome that. A savvy head coach will walk into the arena and see right away that home court advantage isn’t a selling point for the Iowa job.

For the skeptics… google in-game photos from Wisconsin, Michigan st, Ohio State, ISU. (gag), and other arenas and compare them to the optics at CHA. How close are the fans, how densely packed are they, how much open or vacant space around the court, etc.

Carver sucks.

Last edited:
I don't spend a lot of time going back and beloving former coaches. If I did, Lute would be #1 because he gave us a Final 4, Raveling #2 because he recruited the guys that Davis took to Elite8. Davis is next---last sweet16, Fran is a little better than Alford and their accomplishments are kind of similar. LIckliter i of course was terrible but he was a relatively short 3 year blip vs say 14 years of okay with little exceptionalism. Fran and his boys is sore point.
Fran is way better than Alford and is on par with Davis. He’s a better coach than Raveling who most likely cheated in recruiting.

If a new coach could come in here, burn the portal doors off, and figure out a way to muscle into the sweet 16, we'd build a statue outside of carver
The portal success won’t come unless Swarm donors start to stipulate they want their money to go to BB or want the money at least split between BB and FB.

You don't usually sell your house unless you know where you're headed.
I believe he is selling/sold his house because he has to drive by the accident site to get to Carver every day where they live now. Fran doesn't want to drive past it every day.

Reactions: Gus is dead
What coach would leave the big east for Iowa? Men's bball is king there. No football soaking up the bulk of NIL dollars.

I’m starting to hear some rumblings regarding Fran’s future at Iowa. Nothing definitive, but it makes since considering Pat’s departure and Jack’s decision not to play at Iowa. We aren’t talking retirement, but an offer to coach elsewhere(possibly Jack playing for him)

I’ll keep my ear to the ground to see if there’s anything at all to this rumor. It would probably be in everyone’s best interest if this change did come to fruition.
God I've been hoping praying for a post like this. I wondered when it was announced Patrick is portal bound, that maybe some behind the scenes coordinating going on. Thanks for the heads up.

Most of the big east schools are better jobs than Iowa. Marquette, Georgetown (even though they are down), Creighton, UConn, Villanova, St. John’s, Xavier all better jobs. All the above schools have much nicer basketball facilities, better NIL, and better fan support (for men’s bball). Iowa is a better job than DePaul, though. So we can press that advantage!
Using last years numbers only Creighton and Marquette had better attendance of the teams you mentioned. Iowa was 24th which is close to where they are most seasons. ISU was 22nd.

This season was an outlier and Caitlin contributed to it, the fan support issues are overstated. The women are proof that Iowa fans will swarm carver if you give them a reason to.

I believe he is selling/sold his house because he has to drive by the accident site to get to Carver every day where they live now. Fran doesn't want to drive past it every day.
He hasn’t sold it yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT