ADVERTISEMENT

Where there’s smoke…..

Using last years numbers only Creighton and Marquette had better attendance of the teams you mentioned. Iowa was 24th which is close to where they are most seasons. ISU was 22nd.

This season was an outlier and Caitlin contributed to it, the fan support issues are overstated. The women are proof that Iowa fans will swarm carver if you give them a reason to.
Attendance probably isn’t a good barometer of fan support. UConn, St. John’s, and Villanova all play home games at multiple arenas, so their attendance numbers should be lower than Iowa. They only play so many games in their NBA arena (Uconn’s isn’t NBA). Georgetown is awful right now and they can’t give tickets away. Xavier plays in a relatively small arena at like 10,000 people.

Last edited:
Even tho our BB NIL is not great the athletic dept will be flush with tv cash.
So if we can't lure players w cash, we gotta lure a coach who can lure the recruits.
Throw big money at a shakka...double his current money.
Between BB and FB coaches I suspect Iowa has spent the least on buyouts in the BIG since 1980.

We absolutely have to find a way to use our fortunate status as a member of the richest conference in the US to recruit at a higher level.

But I do not think Fran is going anywhere...we are contacting all these portal guys...doubt he would bother if he was moving on.

So if we can't lure players w cash, we gotta lure a coach who can lure the recruits.
Between BB and FB coaches I suspect Iowa has spent the least on buyouts in the BIG since 1980.

We absolutely have to find a way to use our fortunate status as a member of the richest conference in the US to recruit at a higher level.

But I do not think Fran is going anywhere...we are contacting all these portal guys...doubt he would bother if he was moving on.
Wouldn't he put Iowa's name in even if plans were being made? Like if I planned on quitting a job, but still did the job as best I could the last few weeks of employment. Especially if I was geting paid a mil or two, and had plenty saved up.

Offer Caitlin Clark 10 million To be coach. Heck she could do the wNBA at the same time.😀

I wouldn't be miffed at all. There's a lot of good coaches out there. Step #1 is Fran leaving....and as far as I'm concerned, it can't happen soon enough. I have faith Beth would find a good one.
This gd love affair with DeVries baffles me. Sure he’s a good coach and is at an Iowa school and has a Hawkeye brother but there is no shortage of coaches able to do the job as well as him or better. And get someone young FFS. Not someone with kids that are college age and play BB looking for a roster spot.

I will repeat: with Jack wanting (needing?) to play elsewhere and Patrick entering the transfer portal, and fans consistently upset with the playing time he gave his sons and his lack of performance in the post-season, this really does seem like a perfect time for Fran to move on.

I’m starting to hear some rumblings regarding Fran’s future at Iowa. Nothing definitive, but it makes since considering Pat’s departure and Jack’s decision not to play at Iowa. We aren’t talking retirement, but an offer to coach elsewhere(possibly Jack playing for him)

I’ll keep my ear to the ground to see if there’s anything at all to this rumor. It would probably be in everyone’s best interest if this change did come to fruition.

Heard this 2 weeks ago. From a couple different people.

I will repeat: with Jack wanting (needing?) to play elsewhere and Patrick entering the transfer portal, and fans consistently upset with the playing time he gave his sons and his lack of performance in the post-season, this really does seem like a perfect time for Fran to move on.
I don't think anybody is really disputing that. I'm certainly not.

But that said, I still won't believe he's even considering leaving, let alone actually doing so - especially of his own accord - until I see/read about it happening with my own two eyes.

Using last years numbers only Creighton and Marquette had better attendance of the teams you mentioned. Iowa was 24th which is close to where they are most seasons. ISU was 22nd.

This season was an outlier and Caitlin contributed to it, the fan support issues are overstated. The women are proof that Iowa fans will swarm carver if you give them a reason to.

Yah we just gotta find the greatest men's college bball player of all time and Carver will fill up.

I like Fran. It is difficult to maintain a competitive program, as he has most of his tenure. However, I also get the frustration with the program plateauing at first-round NCAA exits. I also think it is easier with a coaching change for the program to slide in the wrong direction than it is to take the next step upward. My point? We should be careful what we wish for. That said, it seems like a change is probably warranted in the near future given the recent trajectory.
Being in the top half of the big ten and never accomplishing anything in the tourney gives me nothing as a fan.

Might as well be dead last in the conference. Without March success, the season means nothing to me.

Get a new coach. Fran…thank you for trying.

I don't think Dr. Tom ever lost in the 1st round though.
IMO the Big Ten was a lot tougher back then too.

I understand the Raveling recruits argument, but the Big Ten was brutal most years. Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio State were elite programs. Then you throw in Michigan State, Illinois, and Purdue and that makes for some tough sledding. Minnesota could also be decent and even had a Final Four squad later in the 1990s. Wisconsin was also starting to suck less. So, there really wasn’t a lot of cupcakes on the schedule.

Davis IMO also wasn’t as awful of a recruiter as people like to think. Yeah, I think toward the end of his tenure he got kind of lazy (from what I’ve heard), but he still brought in a few highly ranked players and guys who were pretty good. Acie Earl, Chris Street, Jess Settles, Kenyon Murray (McDonald’s AA), Chris Kingsbury (McDonald’s AA), Andre Woolridge, Dean Oliver, Ricky Davis, and even Joey Range was highly ranked.

IMO Davis never recovered from the Chris Street tragedy. Who knows what happens with the Iowa program if Street isn’t killed. Not landing LaFrentz might have been the nail in his coffin, which wasn’t exactly fair.

Still, I don’t think Fran is at Dr. Tom’s level. Davis’s teams were tough and rebounded. And, again, no fourteen conference teams that allowed for a handful of cupcakes on the schedule and avoiding a home and home with some of the conference’s best.

As I understand it the NIL is a separate entity/business from the university. How can the tv cash be incorporated into NIL?

It is hard to find good estmate of current Marquette basketball revenue, but they were spending $10 milllion a year in 2010 and revenue was 13 million for mens basketbal. In 2023, with inflation, revenue might be approaching $18 million or so.

University of Iowa...also hard to find a breakout for just mens basketball. The Athletic department now is flush with cash...Ticket sales at carver are maybe around $4 million/year? Iowa gets a payout from B1G of about $50 million from Big10...how much is mens basketball...maybe 25%? Can't make a good estimate without a good figure for TV money. If $12.5 milion for TV is close, thant $12.5 million for mens B-ball + $4 million for Carver attendance= $16.5 million.. So we very well could be pulling in less money than Marquette for mens basketball. The athletic department as a whole pulled in $151 million in 2022...2023 then probably north of $160 million.

The Big10 has sucked at basketball for long time, so that probably means less revenue for B1G 10 in from the NCAA tourney.

The Iclub seems to be generating close to $17 million in donations per year for the athletic department. Iowa fans need to cut back on Iclub donations and donate more towards NIL if they want better teams. If all it took was $1.2 million to fund ISU's NIL built team, it really isn't a lot of money at $1.2 milloin to fund a good B-ball team....but Iowa lacks leadership...that is one of the faults I find with Fran...guy is not driving NIL donations...need a better marketer at coach/guy with energy/charisma. Also hard for Fran to sell the team when he's got 14 year track record of decent, above average, but meh for March.

This 100%
Not exactly. The attendance this year was due to the Caitlin Clark phenomenon. That's over. It took something that extreme to pack CHA. Look at most of the fans, those aren't your traditional hoops fans, they were there for a cultural event more than sports and they're not coming back en masse now that CC is gone.

Not exactly. The attendance this year was due to the Caitlin Clark phenomenon. That's over. It took something that extreme to pack CHA. Look at most of the fans, those aren't your traditional hoops fans, they were there for a cultural event more than sports and they're not coming back en masse now that CC is gone.

That could be true or it could not be. Womens college ball viewership is significantly up across the nation, not just Iowa.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
As I understand it the NIL is a separate entity/business from the university. How can the tv cash be incorporated into NIL?
It cannot according to the rules.

Which is why those I- club funds need to be re- directed to Swarm and away from the athletic dept flush with TV cash as we move into that next contract.

I am confident that Beth knows what needs to be done on NIL.

We need coaching staffs that embrace and use NIL whole-heartedly.
I will not speculate on whether Fran and KF do this but they are smart guys so I presume they do.

That could be true or it could not be. Womens college ball viewership is significantly up across the nation, not just Iowa.
It is. There's plenty of star power driving it. But again, using that last year or two with CC as some kind of bench mark for what CHA could be like is unrealistic.

You guys donating your hard earned money and not putting it aside for your family or non-profit civic charities..,,, I'll never understand you. Its a game. Meanwhile, kids are sleeping in cars before they have to go to school. Lets get our priorities straight.
Don’t never tell anyone what to do with their hard earned money. You jealous Marxist bastard.

It is hard to find good estmate of current Marquette basketball revenue, but they were spending $10 milllion a year in 2010 and revenue was 13 million for mens basketbal. In 2023, with inflation, revenue might be approaching $18 million or so.

University of Iowa...also hard to find a breakout for just mens basketball. The Athletic department now is flush with cash...Ticket sales at carver are maybe around $4 million/year? Iowa gets a payout from B1G of about $50 million from Big10...how much is mens basketball...maybe 25%? Can't make a good estimate without a good figure for TV money. If $12.5 milion for TV is close, thant $12.5 million for mens B-ball + $4 million for Carver attendance= $16.5 million.. So we very well could be pulling in less money than Marquette for mens basketball. The athletic department as a whole pulled in $151 million in 2022...2023 then probably north of $160 million.

The Big10 has sucked at basketball for long time, so that probably means less revenue for B1G 10 in from the NCAA tourney.

The Iclub seems to be generating close to $17 million in donations per year for the athletic department. Iowa fans need to cut back on Iclub donations and donate more towards NIL if they want better teams. If all it took was $1.2 million to fund ISU's NIL built team, it really isn't a lot of money at $1.2 milloin to fund a good B-ball team....but Iowa lacks leadership...that is one of the faults I find with Fran...guy is not driving NIL donations...need a better marketer at coach/guy with energy/charisma. Also hard for Fran to sell the team when he's got 14 year track record of decent, above average, but meh for March.
I keep seeing reference to this amount. Can you name individual players with the amount they received, or is this something that has been repeated often enough on internet forums that is is assumed as fact? Not saying it isn't true, just that I have no credible information, nor have I read any.

What big name coach would want to come to Iowa, where men’s bball sits behind fball, wrestling, and women’s bball. If Fran leaves I’d be guessing the applications are full of young coaches with some success at smaller schools. Hell this AD could prove me wrong, she seems to have the biggest set of anyone over there anymore.

What big name coach would want to come to Iowa, where men’s bball sits behind fball, wrestling, and women’s bball. If Fran leaves I’d be guessing the applications are full of young coaches with some success at smaller schools. Hell this AD could prove me wrong, she seems to have the biggest set of anyone over there anymore.
In the new Big Ten I’d put Iowa at the same level of job as maybe a Maryland or a Minnesota. Probably eleven or more programs that are a more attractive job than Iowa in the Big Ten. But it’s still a top conference and there will be up and coming young guys looking for the job.

Love his eye for talent and i think he's a great man... but I'm ready for a change
Are you talking about Fran? Great man? Acts like a fool at local high school games and on the court at carver. Pretty low bar for him to be in that category.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT