ADVERTISEMENT

Which Programs develop most 3* or lower recruits into 1st, 2nd & 3rd Round NFL draft picks?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Interesting Apr 27, 2020 story from Yahoo.com.

As you will see, Iowa just missed being one of the top 10 programs in the country in developing three-star or lower recruits into round 1-3 draft picks in the last 10 years.

Some excerpts:

No matter how much some college football coaches try to tell you otherwise at their yearly national signing day news conferences, recruiting rankings matter.

The top of the 2020 NFL draft was yet another set of data showing that players ranked as four- and five-star recruits coming out of high school are more likely to end up reaching the NFL.

Using the recruiting rankings from Rivals.com for reference, 21 of the 32 players chosen in the NFL Draft’s first round were rated as at least four-star recruits. Of those 21, seven were five-star recruits. When you consider that there are typically somewhere in the range of 30-35 five-star prospects, 300 or so four-star prospects, and hundreds of other recruits with two- and three-star ratings in a given recruiting class, that’s a pretty good hit rate.

Those high-ranking draftees typically represent the top performing programs in college football. This year, LSU, Alabama and Ohio State combined for 12 of the 32 first-rounders. But not every school can recruit at that level and are forced to search for diamonds in the rough to help them win games and develop into draft prospects.

That got us wondering which programs develop the most low-level recruits — unranked, two-star and three-star prospects — into players picked in the first three rounds of the NFL draft. So we went through each FBS school’s draft picks from the past 10 years (2020 draft included) and looked up those draftees’ Rivals recruiting rankings.

The 10 programs that developed the most three-star (or lower) recruits into Round 1-3 picks in the last 10 years are :

1. Ohio State (14)

2. Wisconsin (13)
3. Boise State (12)
3. LSU (12)
3.Stanford (12)

6. Louisville (11)
6. Washington (11)
8. Mississippi State (10)
8. TCU (10)
8. Utah (10)

Iowa just missed this list, having 9 three-star (or lower) recruits drafted in Rounds 1-3 in the last 10 years.

Many of the programs that end up atop recruiting rankings are still finding high-upside three-star recruits as well, and no program is doing that better than Ohio State.

OSU has had 43 players go in the top three rounds of the draft over the last 10 years, and 14 of them were rated at three stars or below — more than any other program. Six of those players went in the first round.

By comparison, Alabama has had 54 players drafted in those rounds, with just six rated at three stars or below. Notre Dame (3/24), USC (2/23), Georgia (3/22) and Oklahoma (4/21) all had a similarly low percentage. That, of course, is also a reflection of how well those programs recruit.

It could be argued that no program is doing more with less talent than Wisconsin. In the Rivals.com era (dating back to 2002), Wisconsin’s average team recruiting rank is 41.7. Yet the Badgers are routinely developing top NFL draft choices. Over the last 10 years, 18 Badgers have gone in the top three rounds. Thirteen of those players were ranked at three stars or lower and six went in the first round.

Below is a look at how every B1G team and Iowa State has fared with lower-level recruits over the past 10 years. A more detailed look including all the players is available at the bottom of this post.

Note: Drafts from 2011-20, Rounds 1, 2 and 3 only.

1. Ohio State
Total: 43

4/5 star: 29
3-star: 13
2-star: 1
Unranked: 0

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Bradley Roby, Darron Lee, Malik Hooker, Gareon Conley, Denzel Ward, Damon Arnette

2. Michigan
Total: 20

4/5 star: 15
3-star: 4
2-star: 0
Unranked: 1

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): None

3. Wisconsin
Total: 18

4/5 star: 5
3-star: 9
2-star: 3

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): J.J. Watt, Gabe Carimi, Kevin Zeitler, Travis Frederick, T.J. Watt, Ryan Ramczyk

4. Penn State
Total: 15

4/5 star: 11
3-star: 2

5. Iowa
Total: 14

3-star: 7
2-star: 2

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Riley Reiff, Brandon Scherff, T.J. Hockenson, Noah Fant

The details for the nine 3 Star or lower Iowa players:

NFL........Rivals
Round....Stars......Player...................
1...............3...........Riley Reiff
3...............3...........Christian Kirksey
1...............3...........Brandon Scherff
3...............3...........Carl Davis
3...............3...........CJ Beathard
2...............2...........Josh Jackson
1...............3...........TJ Hockenson
1...............3...........Noah Fant
3...............2.......... Michael Ojemudia

6. Illinois
Total: 10

4/5 star: 2

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Whitney Mercilus, A.J. Jenkins

7. Michigan State
Total: 8

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Darqueze Dennard, Trae Waynes, Jack Conklin

8. Nebraska

Unranked: 2

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Prince Amukamara

9. Maryland
Total: 6

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Darnell Savage

10. Rutgers

3-star: 3

11. Indiana
Total: 4

4/5 star: 0

12. Minnesota
Total: 3

13. Purdue
Total: 2

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Ryan Kerrigan

14. Northwestern
Total: None

OTHER:

Iowa State

3-star: 1

LINK to Full Story: https://sports.yahoo.com/which-coll...ruits-into-top-nfl-draft-picks-125011523.html

Last edited:
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Sam-Hart-121762/RecruitInterests/

What an osu 3* players offer list looks like ;)

A lot less developing going on at pedd than I thought, them and mi shouldn't get half the talent they do....

Also this must not include 20, where is wirfs chase young etc?
In the article is says 2020 draft included.

Wirfs & Chase Young were not 3 star or lower recruits; that is why they are not listed.

The details for Iowa:

NFL........Rivals
Round....Stars.....Player...................

Here are the details for all the teams: https://www.scribd.com/document/458447782/Yahoo-Sports-3-Star-to-the-NFL#from_embed

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
Iowa as a premiere development destination.

Here are the numbers of players rostered on NFL teams in 2019

TOP 20 Programs — 5 B1G teams listed

1. Alabama 56
2. Ohio State 45
3. Florida 35
4. Miami (Fla.) 34
5. LSU 32
6. Florida State 32
7. Oklahoma 31
8. Georgia 29
9. Penn State 28
10.Texas A&M 28
12. Wisconsin 26
18. Michigan 24
19. Iowa 24

Also,

School Win Total Avg. Recruiting Class Ranking (conference rank) Difference
Ohio State 48 3.8 (1) 0
Wisconsin 42 39.8 (7) +5
Michigan 38 18.0 (3) 0
Penn State 38 13.8 (2) -1
Iowa 37 46.5 (8) +5
Northwestern 36 53.8 (10) +4
Michigan State 32 26.8 (5) -2
Minnesota 27 51.5 (9) +1
Nebraska 23 25.5 (4) -5
Indiana 22 54.3 (11) +1
Purdue 18 67.5 (14) +3
Maryland 18 33.5 (6) -6
Illinois 14 55.0 (13) 0
Rutgers 11 54.5 (12) -2

Basically, to sum this up — Iowa and Wisconsin are the premiere developmental destinations, while Nebraska and Maryland are unproductive with their more highly rated recruiting classes.

Which is also supported by the list of top schools that generate more NFL talent than you’d expect from recruiting rankings: UF, Miami, Penn State, Wisconsin and Iowa.

Basically, Iowa is a huge outlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Iowa as a premiere development destination.

Here are the numbers of players rostered on NFL teams in 2019

TOP 20 Programs — 5 B1G teams listed

TIER 1
Alabama 56
Ohio State 45
Florida 35
Miami (Fla.) 34
LSU 32
Florida State 32
Oklahoma 31
TIER 2
Georgia 29
Penn State 28
Texas A&M 28
Clemson 27
Wisconsin 26
Auburn 26
Stanford 25
Notre Dame 25
Washington 25
Tennessee 24
Michigan 24
Iowa 24
South Carolina 24
Notice: Neither ISU or Neb on this list. No exclamation point needed on that sentence!

Reactions: Torg
Digging a little deeper...

Everybody knows our recruiting ranking have floundered around ~40 +/- for the years 2016-2018, then a little better in 2019 and #35 in 2020.

If all holds, and Iowa lands Parks, Bell, Fidone, Alt, Myslinski, and Johnson. And we end up with only 20 recruits in this class, then we’ll end up with ~1760 points according to Rivals which has been good for the 25-26 spot in the rankings.

Climbing this dang ladder, this program is.

Thanks to Doyle, KF, BF, PP, LW, KC, DF, JN, KOK, TP, SW and all the other football staff for continually pushing Iowa Football forward.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Sam-Hart-121762/RecruitInterests/

What an osu 3* players offer list looks like ;)

A lot less developing going on at pedd than I thought, them and mi shouldn't get half the talent they do....

Also this must not include 20, where is wirfs chase young etc?
Mentioning PSU and Michigan brings up a poignant recruiting point. First it should be noted that the last 5 years would paint a slightly different picture because in the first half of the decade PSU was dealing with sanctions and Michigan was trying to recover from the Rich Rod disaster....with that said, the gap between them and OSU would still look similar.

There is a reason for that: A 4* ranked say at #40 in the country is (in theory) not the same as one ranked say #240. And while PSU and Michigan's classes look very pretty on paper with a bunch of 4*s, they are both getting crushed by OSU in respect to top 50 and top 100 players.

This past draft is a good illustration of that. OSU and Michigan tied for picks with 10. However, OSU had 2 of first 3 guys taken (with the 3rd of course being a guy who transfered from them) while Michigan owned the 6th round....a guy who say was ranked #240 ending up in the 6th round seems pretty on target to me....

Iowa deserves all the credit you guys give yourself for talent development....it is outstanding. But if you take a closer look at recruiting you will find the gap between OSU and PSU/UofM is larger than you might think AND the gap between PSU/Umich amd Iowa is smaller than some might think....the difference between a 5.7 3* and a 5.8 4* is less than a 6.0 and 5.8 4*....

Not saying you still cant come to the conclusion that either PSU or Michigan could be doing more with what they have.....but I don't think it is as cut and dry as some make it out to be based on the numbers above....

King should have been a second to third rounder, making 10. Just saying.

We all know that in order to win a B1G Championship we have to first win the B1G West. And that means beating Wisconsin.

Unfortunately, at the moment, Wisconsin seems to be doing everything just a little bit better than Iowa.

Remember when it used to be said that no one does more with less than Iowa?

Well, from the orig post:

It could be argued that no program is doing more with less talent than Wisconsin. In the Rivals.com era (dating back to 2002), Wisconsin’s average team recruiting rank is 41.7. Yet the Badgers are routinely developing top NFL draft choices.

Over the last 10 years, 18 Badgers have gone in the top three rounds. Thirteen of those players were ranked at three stars or lower and six who were rated 3 star or lower went in the first round.

Summary:

Wisconsin

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): J.J. Watt, Gabe Carimi, Kevin Zeitler, Travis Frederick, T.J. Watt, Ryan Ramczyk

Mentioning PSU and Michigan brings up a poignant recruiting point. First it should be noted that the last 5 years would paint a slightly different picture because in the first half of the decade PSU was dealing with sanctions and Michigan was trying to recover from the Rich Rod disaster....with that said, the gap between them and OSU would still look similar.

There is a reason for that: A 4* ranked say at #40 in the country is (in theory) not the same as one ranked say #240. And while PSU and Michigan's classes look very pretty on paper with a bunch of 4*s, they are both getting crushed by OSU in respect to top 50 and top 100 players.

This past draft is a good illustration of that. OSU and Michigan tied for picks with 10. However, OSU had 2 of first 3 guys taken (with the 3rd of course being a guy who transfered from them) while Michigan owned the 6th round....a guy who say was ranked #240 ending up in the 6th round seems pretty on target to me....

Iowa deserves all the credit you guys give yourself for talent development....it is outstanding. But if you take a closer look at recruiting you will find the gap between OSU and PSU/UofM is larger than you might think AND the gap between PSU/Umich amd Iowa is smaller than some might think....the difference between a 5.7 3* and a 5.8 4* is less than a 6.0 and 5.8 4*....

Not saying you still cant come to the conclusion that either PSU or Michigan could be doing more with what they have.....but I don't think it is as cut and dry as some make it out to be based on the numbers above....
There is truth both teams have improved. However neither is much better than Iowa has been the last five years either. Even with Michigan having two top five classes in 16 and 17. Yes a 5.8 and 5.7 are quite close but it's not like all our three stars are near borderline four stars and a 5.8 to a 5.5 shouldn't be very close.
So Michigan kids think about coming and playing for the good guys. :)

There is truth both teams have improved. However neither is much better than Iowa has been the last five years either. Even with Michigan having two top five classes in 16 and 17. Yes a 5.8 and 5.7 are quite close but it's not like all our three stars are near borderline four stars and a 5.8 to a 5.5 shouldn't be very close.
So Michigan kids think about coming and playing for the good guys. :)
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Iowa 1-5 against PSU and Michigan in the last 5 years? Or something close to that....

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Iowa 1-5 against PSU and Michigan in the last 5 years? Or something close to that....
The past 3 years, with all the 4 and 5* players they have, neither team has been able to beat us by more than 7 points. Considering they have like 10x the 4/5* players that would equal pretty bad development or coaching to me. Psu has been a thorn in our side but we've handled mi the past decade.

The past 3 years, with all the 4 and 5* players they have, neither team has been able to beat us by more than 7 points. Considering they have like 10x the 4/5* players that would equal pretty bad development or coaching to me. Psu has been a thorn in our side but we've handled mi the past decade.
So you completely ignored my point, and facts, and just keep with your agenda.....look a little deeper....you might be surprised by what you find

So you completely ignored my point, and facts, and just keep with your agenda.....look a little deeper....you might be surprised by what you find
So what is your point? Most our 3* aren't 5.7s and we're 1-1 vs mi in the harbaugh era. We've also beat osu more than he has ;).

Your top 5 classes have greatly underperformed, no way around it....

Last edited:
Reactions: Buck2427
So what is your point? Most our 3* aren't 5.7s and we're 1-1 vs mi in the harbaugh era. We've also beat osu more than he has ;).

Your top 5 classes have greatly underperformed, no way around it....
Michigan had twice as many players drafted as Iowa this year and twice as many drafted in the first 3 rounds (the subject of the thread) last year.

You are correct that Harbaugh hasn't beaten OSU. I've tried to explain to you a big reason why and also give credit to Iowa which does one of the best jobs in the country of identifying and developing talent. However, you seem fixated on just saying PSU and Michigan are bad, bad , bad.....

I just think you should give reason a bit of a try and maybe attempt to figure out what is really going on

Michigan had twice as many players drafted as Iowa this year and twice as many drafted in the first 3 rounds (the subject of the thread) last year.

You are correct that Harbaugh hasn't beaten OSU. I've tried to explain to you a big reason why and also give credit to Iowa which does one of the best jobs in the country of identifying and developing talent. However, you seem fixated on just saying PSU and Michigan are bad, bad , bad.....

I just think you should give reason a bit of a try and maybe attempt to figure out what is really going on
I didn't say bad, just underachievers, especially mi.
Hell you both finished top 2p in 4 if the last 5 years, so you've done well. Doesn't mean you haven't underachievers. I'd say pedd has done better though.
Is had more picks in 17 and 1 less in 18, if we are picking and choosing ;). You should have more picks, in 2017 Jimmy had as many 4/5 kids as kf has had the last decade. At least according to rivals.

I assume you're a mi fan, if so I can't believe you are making so many excuses why Jimmy can't win the east once, even though pedd and the rapetonios have.

Mmm....mmhmm....uh-huh.....yep........

Iowa > Michigan

I didn't say bad, just underachievers, especially mi.
Hell you both finished top 2p in 4 if the last 5 years, so you've done well. Doesn't mean you haven't underachievers. I'd say pedd has done better though.
Is had more picks in 17 and 1 less in 18, if we are picking and choosing ;). You should have more picks, in 2017 Jimmy had as many 4/5 kids as kf has had the last decade. At least according to rivals.

I assume you're a mi fan, if so I can't believe you are making so many excuses why Jimmy can't win the east once, even though pedd and the rapetonios have.
If we are picking and choosing? You just chose the 2017 draft which did not include a single Harbaugh recruit and the 2018 draft which were the earliest eligible players signed under Harbaugh....it was the transition class where he had a month to recruit, Michigan signed 14 players and it ranked 49th in the country....

Sheesh.....that would be like me saying KF's 4-19 record his first two years define him as a coach. I get it, Harbaugh and his teams have failed in big games....its true....Michigan has failed to beat teams with better talent....but that's not under achieving....its actually simply not over achieving...

With the exception of the year he had a couple of his QBs end up in the hospital his current Michigan coaching legacy is he wins the games he should and loses the games he is expected to lose. It's certainly not a resume that screams elite coach....but it is not the story you have in your head either....and a big part of that is explained by recruiting if you took a second to really look at it....

And while this is turning into a Michigan vs. Iowa debate....my intent is not to make it that....my points are and will continue to be about overall recruiting in general....if you start understanding the different nuances of it then it starts telling really interesting truths

Dave is a Mizzou athletics beat writer for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Even he is noticing what is going on in Iowa Bleepin' City.

As you can see, he writes this:

14 draft picks through the last 3.5 NFL Drafts:
* 3 First Rounders
* 3 Second Rounders
* 2 Third Rounders.

Interesting Apr 27, 2020 story from Yahoo.com.

As you will see, Iowa just missed being one of the top 10 programs in the country in developing three-star or lower recruits into round 1-3 draft picks in the last 10 years.

Some excerpts:

No matter how much some college football coaches try to tell you otherwise at their yearly national signing day news conferences, recruiting rankings matter.

The top of the 2020 NFL draft was yet another set of data showing that players ranked as four- and five-star recruits coming out of high school are more likely to end up reaching the NFL.

Using the recruiting rankings from Rivals.com for reference, 21 of the 32 players chosen in the NFL Draft’s first round were rated as at least four-star recruits. Of those 21, seven were five-star recruits. When you consider that there are typically somewhere in the range of 30-35 five-star prospects, 300 or so four-star prospects, and hundreds of other recruits with two- and three-star ratings in a given recruiting class, that’s a pretty good hit rate.

Those high-ranking draftees typically represent the top performing programs in college football. This year, LSU, Alabama and Ohio State combined for 12 of the 32 first-rounders. But not every school can recruit at that level and are forced to search for diamonds in the rough to help them win games and develop into draft prospects.

That got us wondering which programs develop the most low-level recruits — unranked, two-star and three-star prospects — into players picked in the first three rounds of the NFL draft. So we went through each FBS school’s draft picks from the past 10 years (2020 draft included) and looked up those draftees’ Rivals recruiting rankings.

The 10 programs that developed the most three-star (or lower) recruits into Round 1-3 picks in the last 10 years are :

1. Ohio State (14)

2. Wisconsin (13)
3. Boise State (12)
3. LSU (12)
3.Stanford (12)

6. Louisville (11)
6. Washington (11)
8. Mississippi State (10)
8. TCU (10)
8. Utah (10)

Iowa just missed this list, having 9 three-star (or lower) recruits drafted in Rounds 1-3 in the last 10 years.

Many of the programs that end up atop recruiting rankings are still finding high-upside three-star recruits as well, and no program is doing that better than Ohio State.

OSU has had 43 players go in the top three rounds of the draft over the last 10 years, and 14 of them were rated at three stars or below — more than any other program. Six of those players went in the first round.

By comparison, Alabama has had 54 players drafted in those rounds, with just six rated at three stars or below. Notre Dame (3/24), USC (2/23), Georgia (3/22) and Oklahoma (4/21) all had a similarly low percentage. That, of course, is also a reflection of how well those programs recruit.

It could be argued that no program is doing more with less talent than Wisconsin.
In the Rivals.com era (dating back to 2002), Wisconsin’s average team recruiting rank is 41.7. Yet the Badgers are routinely developing top NFL draft choices. Over the last 10 years, 18 Badgers have gone in the top three rounds. Thirteen of those players were ranked at three stars or lower and six went in the first round.

Below is a look at how every B1G team and Iowa State has fared with lower-level recruits over the past 10 years. A more detailed look including all the players is available at the bottom of this post.

Note: Drafts from 2011-20, Rounds 1, 2 and 3 only.

1. Ohio State
Total: 43

4/5 star: 29
3-star: 13

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Bradley Roby, Darron Lee, Malik Hooker, Gareon Conley, Denzel Ward, Damon Arnette

2. Michigan
Total: 20

4/5 star: 15

3. Wisconsin

4. Penn State
Total: 15

4/5 star: 11

5. Iowa
Total: 14

2-star: 2

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Riley Reiff, Brandon Scherff, T.J. Hockenson, Noah Fant

The details for the nine 3 Star or lower Iowa players:

NFL........Rivals
Round....Stars......Player...................

6. Illinois
Total: 10

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Whitney Mercilus, A.J. Jenkins

7. Michigan State

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Darqueze Dennard, Trae Waynes, Jack Conklin

8. Nebraska

Unranked: 2

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Prince Amukamara

9. Maryland

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Darnell Savage

10. Rutgers

3-star: 3

11. Indiana
Total: 4

12. Minnesota
Total: 3

13. Purdue

Round 1 (3 star or lower only): Ryan Kerrigan

14. Northwestern
Total: None

OTHER:

Iowa State

3-star: 1

LINK to Full Story: https://sports.yahoo.com/which-coll...ruits-into-top-nfl-draft-picks-125011523.html
@IowaNiceHawk , your thread reminded me of this story/analysis from a few months ago

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT