ADVERTISEMENT

Who hates Iowa? Devyn Marble.

BJ’s number isn’t retired and never has been.
I don't think @Fan In Black said it was. In fact he said it shouldn't be retired and the jersey thing was more of a PR stunt...that's what I read into it anyway.

As someone who was at the Roy recognition game, I know for a fact all 15K Iowa fans were on their feet and most tearing up when Roy walked on the court...I know I was. Roy was one of about 25 guys in roughly the same boat - great Hawkeyes but just not necessarily the GOAT...

Yeah, and while we are at it let's donate the University's entire endowment to BLM to make up for what you conceive as bad judgement by Iowa in their lack of providing recognition for Roy.
What does BLM have to do with honoring Roy Marble? I hope you don't have a degree from the University of Iowa because you're an embarrassment to those of us who do.

Last edited:
BJ made only two 2nd team all conference teams. But graduated as the all time leader in assists and 3pt shots while finishing 3rd in scoring and steals. But as has been mentioned, it is only his jersey retired, not the number.

What the heck is a retired jersey vs a retire number?

I turned on KXNO in DSM and caught conversation about this thing. They interviewed Jon Miller for his opinion, etc.

Anyone else find it annoying that KXNO (and others, but specifically them in this case) jumps on a story like this. From a tweet. And then turns into a legit news item?

I guess that's the norm or whatever, but I was still annoyed that they were making a huge deal about about this. Not to belittle this at all of course. But they seemed to lay in on thick with the ****ing drama. And even more annoyed listening to Jon Miller's opinion on it (heh).

Reactions: dean_oliver222
I turned on KXNO in DSM and caught conversation about this thing. They interviewed Jon Miller for his opinion, etc.

Anyone else find it annoying that KXNO (and others, but specifically them in this case) jumps on a story like this. From a tweet. And then turns into a legit news item?

I guess that's the norm or whatever, but I was still annoyed that they were making a huge deal about about this. Not to belittle this at all of course. But they seemed to lay in on thick with the ****ing drama. And even more annoyed listening to Jon Miller's opinion on it (heh).
Well, this thread is now 10 pages long. I’d say there’s at least a little bit of interest in the subject.

But it’s always fun to slam the press. So have at it. 😉

Yeah...I do not understand why people are lashing out at Dev for this. I get the desire to want to "protect the ship" but Dev did nothing but represent the program with class while he was here and it is obvious we are seeing a son who is still grieving his father. FFS people, dude is hurting (totally understandable) and is still a youngish guy and frankly his dad's number should have been retired years ago before he passed.

Instead the leadership at the university decided to not take that opportunity when it was obvious that Roy didn't have much time left, I would be pissed too.

Now that he isn't the all time scoring leader it likely never happens, what a shame.
I don't agree.

I don't get the not even close comment at all. Sure Roy was more athletic, but Luka has been considered by MANY to be the top player in all of college basketball the last two years. Something that NO Iowa player ever did, back to back conference player of the year, when the BIG is as good and tough top to bottom as it has ever been, AND back to back national player of the year. Luka has put up numbers that have only been matched by a few players in the country in the last 50 years. As for RM's teams may have won more , I'd say he had considerably more talent around him. I believe there were 7 players on that team that played in the NBA. And yes, i saw Roy play as well as Ronnie Lester and all of the greats in the last 50 years. Luka doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone, and that includes Roy Marble senior.

Imagine how many more points Roy would have had if he didn't 6 other NBA players on his roster.

The lionization of Gary Barta around here blows my mind. This is a guy who has cost the University tens of millions of dollars due to his ineptitude, almost destroyed the basketball program....yet around here you would think the guy is Bump Elliot
Barta's past comments in regard to this issue seem to be quite tone deaf. I believe in 2015 or 2016 Barta said something to the effect of "We (being Iowa) aren't in the habit of retiring numbers around here". If he had some foresight he would have realized that he should have added to that statement by stating something like, "Unless a special set of circumstances make it undeniable that so and so should have that honor." So in the last two years Megan and soon Luka will have their jerseys hanging from the rafters and Carver Hawkeye. I believe that statement has contributed to the uproar.

Reactions: K OKeefe
If Ronnie doesn't go down against Louisville they win the Natty. No doubt in my mind.

Hard to say, really. The UCLA team that Louisville beat certainly wasn't one of their best when compared to Wooden-era teams. And it's even hard to say the Hawks would have held on against Louisville, as Louisville tended to be a second-half team that wore opponents down with a combination of backcourt speed and hops, combined with some tough big men like the brothers McCray up front.

One CAN legit say they wouldn't have lost to Purdue by 17 in the third-place game if Ronnie plays.

Looking at that 1980 bracket, though, not a single #1 seed made the Final Four. Louisville was a 2, but Iowa (5), Purdue (6), and UCLA (8) were hardly expected to get there, especially in a 48-team field. Iowa, (over Syracuse, Sweet 16), Louisville (over LSU, Elite 8) and UCLA (over Depaul, Round of 32) all beat #1 seeds on their way to the Final Four. while Purdue, Mideast Region, beat seeds 3, 2, and 4 (St. Johns, Indiana, and Duke, respectively).
It wasn't until 2006 (Iowa's famous swoon against NW State) that a 1-seed failed to make the Final Four again.

Last edited:
9 retired numbers plus BJ's jersey. 5 of 9 were the starters from the back to back final four of the '55/'56 team all enshrined in 1980. Seemed like the thing to do at the time ( I guess ). Sharm and Schoof and Seaberg are there only due to Final Four status. Logan was legit as was Cain. Chris Street is there only due to his tragic death. Stokes was solid but just one of the 25 or so in the same boat. Ronnie and Garza are special with the numbers ( individually and team wise ) that puts them in a class by themselves, IMO...

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
The lionization of Gary Barta around here blows my mind. This is a guy who has cost the University tens of millions of dollars due to his ineptitude, almost destroyed the basketball program....yet around here you would think the guy is Bump Elliot
Wait, What? LOL!

Does the person that reads for you also comprehend for you? If so, fire he or she on the spot. Wow.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Soooo.... has Dev previously shared his disappointment with Fran? With Gary? With the U of I?
Or... just a random tweet knocking Iowa?

Seriously ... this is the good and bad about social media... So Dev sends a random message about displeasure (I’m guessing Iowa did not know about) and now the U of I is caught with its pants down trying to make good...

How about a direct conversation if you are upset ...

Instead... he chose the path of someone taking to a Facebook page to complain about your neighbor’s barking dog without ever approaching the neighbor first.

Loved watching Roy ... and Dev... Many know Roy’s off the court issues... Have a conversation with Barta and Fran... Find a solution...Talk... don’t tweet...
I mean are we surprised. This country is so screwed.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
That is a great update, and I’m thrilled that the university is taking the initiative to reconcile. This doesn’t mean that Devyn was unjustified in feeling disrespected in the first place, even if it was a result of a miscommunication
It was not needed. Be a man and go to the university to air your grievances. It was obvious by Fran’s reaction this came out of left field. And we can all fault Fran’s in game coaching but to question his players loyalty to him would be obscene. Gas lighting on full display.

Reactions: Rustys Dad

Omfg...my ears are bleeding at the thought of Jon Miller commenting on this situation. Was Rob Howe and Pat Harty on hold waiting to give their $.02?

Ok I feel that this needs to be said. I routinely read and comment on other teams sites. Indiana, Rutgers, ISU, Nebraska, and a few others. I don’t think I have come across a fan base more classless than ISU. There are multiple of their fans that are out there hoping and praying that Fran is racist. That is beyond sick and disgusting that you’re hoping for any kid to ever experience racism just because you don’t like the other team. Grow the **** up and take a good look at yourself in the mirror. I know I’m going to sound obsessed with this type of post, but fūck it.

No matter what is or isn’t done, people will be outraged. There’s no way to win.

And this isn’t in defense of Barta. He’s needed to go for years. It’s what comes with the times when every little move someone does ends up in someone becoming outraged and calling for another person’s head.

I understand Devyn’s take. And I under at and the University’s take. It’s hard to say what’s right or wrong.

I do think though, that Barta will never have it retired himself. Clearly, he’s had no intentions of doing it thus far, but doing it now/in the future would make him look even more dumb than he already does (hard to do!) and it would probably be even more of a slap in the face to Devyn. “Hey, we don’t really want to retire this but since we need to look better, we’ll do it for us. Happy now?”

Barta just needs to give it up.

EDIT: also, it’s not a race issue. Except for the idiots turning it into one because they need something to be outraged at.
You nailed it. You don't do anything. The decision was made a LONG time ago, and you don't change it to appease a disgruntled family member, former Hawk or not.

This isnt life or death. People who cheer for Iowa will remember Roy Marble for years to come regardless, and the rest of the country doesn't give two shits about it.

This is one of those Iowa city fish bowl issues... It seems like a big deal because unless someone's cows escaped, or there was a major tractor malfunction, its a big story in Iowa but the rest of the country doesn't know who Dev is, most even knowledgeable sports fans probably don't remember Roy Sr if they were born anytime in the last 30 years.

But we are in the grievance era. Everybody has one, and somebody needs to pay for it.

It sounds as though there are criteria that are applied equally to everyone when it comes to retiring a jersey or being admitted to the hall of fame. Its really that simple. Being the all-time leading scorer while impressive isn't the criteria, or at least doesn't meet all the requirements.

It would be helpful if those criteria were released, and we knew what criteria wasn't met. Then we could see if there was a legit grievance or not.

You can’t compare the two. Roy had the scoring record, now Luka does. Roy was never first team All American two years in a row, B1G Player of the Year two years in a row, National Player of the Year, possibly two years in a row. No comparison, so get over it Dev, or take your ball and go home.

This might blow up because that's what seems to happen. Assuming this is regarding his father Roy Marble and how Iowa hasn't truly recognized him for his contributions.

An idea would be to end this whole retired number/ jersey thing. Instead have a ring of honor with each honoree and their jersey on it. Yes, some could be the same number.

Reactions: SansSouci
Love the Marbles, but I think this is poor form. Roy didn’t get his jersey retired because he wasn’t even the best player in his class and probably not in (my) top 15 players all time. I loved Devyn’s game too, probably more than Roy’s. No one has disrespected them.

I skipped most posts, but you loved Devyn’s game. Why? I never did, I always hoped he’d get a complete game. Never happened. He’s a footnote in Iowa basketball history and his dad is the legend. He was our Michael Jordan and if his # doesn’t get retired soon it’s an issue and Devyn is right.

Reactions: LarryStation
Ok I feel that this needs to be said. I routinely read and comment on other teams sites. Indiana, Rutgers, ISU, Nebraska, and a few others. I don’t think I have come across a fan base more classless than ISU. There are multiple of their fans that are out there hoping and praying that Fran is racist. That is beyond sick and disgusting that you’re hoping for any kid to ever experience racism just because you don’t like the other team. Grow the **** up and take a good look at yourself in the mirror. I know I’m going to sound obsessed with this type of post, but fūck it.

They can hope in one hand and crap in another. Fran may be a lot of things. But a racist? I’ve yet to hear one player, black, white, or otherwise say or tweet anything negative about Fran. It seems, to a man, that they love Coach.

You can’t compare the two. Roy had the scoring record, now Luka does. Roy was never first team All American two years in a row, B1G Player of the Year two years in a row, National Player of the Year, possibly two years in a row. No comparison, so get over it Dev, or take your ball and go home.
At the start of this thread, it appears he already did that. Being butt hurt over something that didn't happen 32 years ago is kind've moronic. Oh well next...

Reactions: kcgolfer
By 8am tomorrow this will turn into a Black/White thing.
The whole optics of this just comes off as black v. White. When asked Barta could not give the criteria for why Roy Marble's jersey is not hanging from the rafters. After what just transpired with the football team, Barta has to be smarter than this. Barta, "Barta said none of the three met the university's criteria for such an honor. Barta would not disclose the criteria."

This is not on Coach McCaffery, this optical nightmare falls directly on the shoulders of the AD Gary Barta. Just another bone head Barta move.

Last edited:
Reactions: SB_SB
Out of curiosity I looked up who all has had their numbers retired by Iowa, there are 9 and 1/3 of them are named Bill.

What the hell is wrong with some of you people. You act like we're Duke or Kentucky and we have great players every year. It's laughable. I was at Iowa with Roy and my son is at Iowa with Luka. It's been 30 years between them. And some of you are ripping into Roy. What a bunch of idiots.

Imagine if defenses could have concentrated on guarding him and not his 1st Team All Conference teammate and the others.

That is not a very well thought out response. No one would dispute Roy Marble's scoring ability. Roy would have scored even more points if he had to carry the team. If Garza was not surrounded with the best three point shooting team Iowa has ever had, then he would never have been close to the all time scoring record.

I’m old enough to have seen both players at their best in college. Not claiming to be an expert but my vote goes to Luka. He embodies everything that is good about college athletics.

Roy was a great player in his own right, but, as many have noted, he had no where near the awards and accolades that Luka has achieved. I am very sorry for the Marble family in losing Roy too early, but, I can also see the university’s point that Roy had many off the court issues Which makes it very difficult to honor him in the same manner.

R.I.P. Roy.

No matter what is or isn’t done, people will be outraged. There’s no way to win.

And this isn’t in defense of Barta. He’s needed to go for years. It’s what comes with the times when every little move someone does ends up in someone becoming outraged and calling for another person’s head.

I understand Devyn’s take. And I under at and the University’s take. It’s hard to say what’s right or wrong.

I do think though, that Barta will never have it retired himself. Clearly, he’s had no intentions of doing it thus far, but doing it now/in the future would make him look even more dumb than he already does (hard to do!) and it would probably be even more of a slap in the face to Devyn. “Hey, we don’t really want to retire this but since we need to look better, we’ll do it for us. Happy now?”

Barta just needs to give it up.

EDIT: also, it’s not a race issue. Except for the idiots turning it into one because they need something to be outraged at.
I am no fan of Barta at all.

But the AD and the committee that decides these things decided 32 years ago to not retire his number.

Then came another AD; that AD and the committee that decides these things decided not to retire his number.

Then came another Barta, who today said this regarding Roy Marble, Murray Wier and Chuck Darling:

“All three of those, through our university process, do not meet the criteria for those retirement requirements.”

If that's the criteria then there should only be one number retired and we'll never see another one in the future. Roy was a great player and deserved better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT