ADVERTISEMENT

Who hates Iowa? Devyn Marble.

Dev should have never tweeted what he tweeted. He sounds grossly immature and selfish. Fran, Luka & this team SHOULD HAVE NOTHING to do w/ his issues w/ the UI administration, but he's never going to watch them? He's never going to congratulate Luka on his accomplishments? Grow up.

The tweet: I’ll never watch another iowa game in my life with the amount of disrespect that school has shown me and my family. Love the fans but I’m in no way affiliated or connected to the university.

The UI has not been disrespectful to Dev. And the UI has not been disrespectful to Roy simply because they did not retire his #.

What the UI did do, however, was make a decision 32 years ago where they decided not to retire his #. And that decision has never been overturned for the many reasons that have been discussed in this thread.
Who TF are you to say who is allowed to feel disrespected by what?

I'm not sure this is some long term hatred of Iowa from Dev since 2015 given I've seen tweets posted from him as recent as the 2019 tournament cheering on the Hawks. I have to imagine that:

• It's likely been pretty emotional for him this year essentially knowing his Father's scoring record was going to be broken by Luka.
  • In reading articles from 2015 when Roy's ceremony occurred, Barta seemed to state or at least infer that the University didn't really plan on retiring any more numbers and instead was going to create a Wall of Honor type thing at Carver to recognize great players (don't think that has happened yet?). Then for Dev to see / hear about Luka's # getting retired on Senior Day, given what he thought he understood from 2015 it created some anger & resentment (to be fair to Iowa, in 2015 they had no idea that they were about to have possibly the most decorated player in Iowa Basketball history in a few years).

I suspect this is some recent emotion and Dev feeling a bit betrayed, not that I'm saying he should have worded his response to the tweet the way he did.

This probably blows over by Thursday. But seems like the university did this to themselves. From the embarrassing ceremony a few years ago involving Roy, and their seemingly random criteria for these retired numbers.

There’s probably 3-4 guys w retired numbers that credential wise, should take a backseat to Roy. All time leading scorer, as part of several great teams.

I guess my two cents...if guys like BJ and Lester and Stokes have the honor...Roy is long overdue. And yes his off court issues loom, but we’re hanging a jersey. Not renaming the arena

BJ and Stokes can be part of that convo, but Lester belongs nowhere near it.

In addition to Magic calling Lester the best opponent he ever faced in college, Ronnie was also the biggest reason the Hawks made the Final Four. His injury in 1979-80 season lead to a slump. His return fueled the Hawks to a surge that ultimately meant 1980 Final Four. His injury in the semifinal vs. Louisville directly correlated to the Hawks being eliminated and a loss in the 3rd-place game.

Ronnie made his team better without question. Roy was but a cog in the 1987-1988-1989 teams, and frankly, with guys like Gamble, Banks, Lohaus, et. al., gone, the team fell back to a typical make-the-second-weekend-and-out performer.

Comparing Roy Marble to Ronnie Lester, in terms of all-around player, is pointless. NBA teams took no chances on him due to attitude/addiction. They took chances on Lester with only one healthy knee for six seasons.

He did have his demons, unfortunately. Lots of us do for a variety of reasons... I really thought highly of Roy, he was a star... Back in the day I worked at the Lil Red Barn(Kum & Go). And when Roy got the boot from the NBA, he played for the CR Silver Bullets, owned by Bill Krause. He would come pick up his check there. And every time he would grab a 40 of Bud Light. It was kind of a gut punch knowing all that talent was being wasted.

I have been very critical of Marble, but if grabbing a 40 from a gas station is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

I’ve seen enough of your posts on the football board to know that you are culpable for occasionally being mad online yourself, but I appreciate the advice
Mad? Can't say I ever get mad. I like to call people out on their hot takes though, as seen above.

Mad? Can't say I ever get mad. I like to call people out on their hot takes though, as seen above.
I promise I’m not sitting behind my keyboard fuming at online interactions regardless of whatever tone you perceive as you read my posts

Which hot take of mine are you calling out?

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
Barta has to own the 2015 ceremony, which he had with Roy nearing the end without bothering to retire the jersey. Iowa should have done something long before 2015, but he had the chance to right a wrong and he opted not to.
Is there some place to record this "owned" by Barta in 2015 event? You know, to record for the rest of time for those that need to remember this "ownage"?

I promise I’m not sitting behind my keyboard fuming at online interactions regardless of whatever tone you perceive as you read my posts

Which hot take of mine are you calling out?
This one, obviously.

Who TF are you to say who is allowed to feel disrespected by what?
The poster in question didn't say Dev couldn't feel disrespected because of this, just that he nor his family was "disrespected". It's an opinion, and one that many people share for all the reasons discussed here.

This isn't that difficult.

This one, obviously.

The poster in question didn't say Dev couldn't feel disrespected because of this, just that he nor his family was "disrespected". It's an opinion, and one that many people share for all the reasons discussed here.

This isn't that difficult.
Well then why didn’t you just lead off with the bolded portion instead of telling me to chill out? You didn’t call me out on a take, you made a snide remark about my tone... obviously

Well then why didn’t you just lead off with the bolded portion instead of telling me to chill out? You didn’t call me out on a take, you made a snide remark about my tone... obviously
Who TF are you to question what I replied with?

Hope that helps highlight my point.

I guess I don't care if he likes the school or not or if he watches games. He's not punishing me.

But as for the half-assed celebration for his father, I agreed it seemed forced and was amateur hour. I'm also not a Barta fan and thought he missed an easy opportunity for a feel good moment. However, I'm also sure Barta would defend himself by bringing up Roy's past.

So I guess I don't see the big deal. So Devin doesn't watch the games or like Barta. Who cares?

Reactions: JupiterHawk
yep....it’s becoming apparent we have a large fan segment that is on the “shut up and dribble” Bandwagon.
I believe the true "shut up and dribble" crowd is more of the one saying how dare you criticize a player or use facts to back up your stance. Having read through this thread, I don't believe many, if any, are saying he doesn't have the right to say what he said. I believe most are saying if you say something that is potentially inflammatory, you might get some push back.

that's why I said @BlackNGoldBleeder needs to get over himself and his high and mighty attitude.

Bleeder is simply WRONG. By stating the facts when discussing THIS ISSUE, no one is "attacking" Roy.

I think Legend was on to something. You're a weird guy, Fran. I made my point and am not going to participate further. Quit tagging me. I do not care about the self-righteous drivel you continue to post. You're an idiot.

They should retire jerseys, but never numbers. There are a limited amount of numbers available in basketball. Retiring #23 in particular. That's not just Roy's number, it was Michael Jordan's number and kids, to this day, wanna be like Mike and wear #23. Not having that number available for a recruit, could be problematic. I would have zero problems with having Marble's #23 jersey hanging in Carver.

Ronnie Lester says otherwise but that's fine. It's never easy comparing players. Maybe Roy didn't get the recognition he deserved given his accomplishments. Luka had to pass him to get his jersey immediately retired so there's probably something to that.
This is kind of a tangent to the overall discussion, but here is something interesting I learned from looking stuff up last night and today:

On that Class of 1989 team (Marble, Horton, Armstrong) ...
  • Marble scored the most career points
  • Armstrong was drafted the earliest
  • Horton was the only one to make first-team All-Big Ten
It's like there was something for everyone. ;)

The UI has not been disrespectful to Dev.
[/QUOTE]
You cannot definitively make this statement. Maybe Devyn went to someone at the school to express his concerns or disappointment, and they told him to pound sand.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I don't mean to throw dirt on Roy's grave here, because he was certainly a complicated man, which does not exempt him from the love and admiration of his son or Hawkeye fans.

But let's think back. Roy was diagnosed with cancer in what, August of 2014? Just two months prior to that he was arrested for choking his girlfriend. Fast-forward to the "ceremony", and you've got to think that's rattling around in the mind of an administration and program that went through Pierre Pierce a decade prior.

Ultimately I think it's a moot conversation and Devyn is more than likely just letting off steam, but of course Twitter idiots and the leeches that are Rob Howe and Pat Harty have to spin it into more than what it really is.

I think that this could have handled much better behind the scenes than on twitter. The jersey presentation was kind of a weird last moment thing.

R.I.P. Roy Marble.

They should retire jerseys, but never numbers. There are a limited amount of numbers available in basketball. Retiring #23 in particular. That's not just Roy's number, it was Michael Jordan's number and kids, to this day, wanna be like Mike and wear #23. Not having that number available for a recruit, could be problematic. I would have zero problems with having Marble's #23 jersey hanging in Carver.
It's Lebron's number!

This is kind of a tangent to the overall discussion, but here is something interesting I learned from looking stuff up last night and today:

On that Class of 1989 team (Marble, Horton, Armstrong) ...
  • Marble scored the most career points
  • Armstrong was drafted the earliest
  • Horton was the only one to make first-team All-Big Ten
It's like there was something for everyone. ;)
The best team I have ever seen at Iowa. I was born in 1970 so missed some great team then. The 86-87 team, was better than the 1980 but Lester was the best player.

The best team I have ever seen at Iowa. I was born in 1970 so missed some great team then. The 86-87 team, was better than the 1980 but Lester was the best player.

The 1980 team made the Final Four. Hard to call the 1986-87 team "better". Who knows how good 1980 team is with Lester for a full season and no injury against Louisville?

Reactions: TritonHawkeye
It would have been nice if Dr. Tom Davis would have chimed in about Roy or even George Raveling but they (the University of Iowa Men's Athletic Department) threw those two under the bus as well.

The 1980 team made the Final Four. Hard to call the 1986-87 team "better". Who knows how good 1980 team is with Lester for a full season and no injury against Louisville?
Outside of Lester and Brookins, my thought was the Marble/Armstrong team has better talent and more depth. I don't know who would win but would be fun to watch.

Outside of Lester and Brookins, my thought was the Marble/Armstrong team has better talent and more depth. I don't know who would win but would be fun to watch.

Kenny Arnold, Kevin Boyle, Steve Krafcisin, and Steve Waite all on that team, as well.

Frankly, the youth on the 1987 team is what hurt in the UNLV game. The young guys flat-out panicked, terrible ball control, and threw up some crazy shots they didn't need to take. But people also forget they still had a chance to tie that game late.

That afternoon after the game was terrible. I was in a bar in Orlando with my brother and we were totally deflated.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
This might blow up because that's what seems to happen. Assuming this is regarding his father Roy Marble and how Iowa hasn't truly recognized him for his contributions.

Granted Roy was a great player but part of this retirement ceremony dealt with Character. Roy had drug problems in college and the Pros. If you want your number retired be a 1st team All American. Be a great citizen and ambassador to the University. I think this age of sour grapes and poor me is the norm. Very few go the extra mile. Congrats Luka. GOAT

Just want to point out that Dev leads with the fact that he feels personally disrespected. This is more than just the Roy Sr. stuff. There is something we don't know about.

It's a pity. Roy Devyn is a great Hawk.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Agreed...Roy is by far the greatest Hawkeye I have ever seen play. I was too young when Ronnie Lester played. I never got to watch the other great Hawks before Ronnie. Roy vs. Garza is not even close. Roy by a long shot.
I don't get the not even close comment at all. Sure Roy was more athletic, but Luka has been considered by MANY to be the top player in all of college basketball the last two years. Something that NO Iowa player ever did, back to back conference player of the year, when the BIG is as good and tough top to bottom as it has ever been, AND back to back national player of the year. Luka has put up numbers that have only been matched by a few players in the country in the last 50 years. As for RM's teams may have won more , I'd say he had considerably more talent around him. I believe there were 7 players on that team that played in the NBA. And yes, i saw Roy play as well as Ronnie Lester and all of the greats in the last 50 years. Luka doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone, and that includes Roy Marble senior.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan

This ultimately needs to be where this lands, but these things get so sideways it's almost impossible to reel it back in. I do think all numbers should be available. Even #40 if there is an Iowan that wants to wear it. The greatest players in history deserve to have their jerseys hanging with their names on them in the arena. It can include certain criteria (All-American, points, etc.) and a subjective area as well for persons like Chris Street.

I don't get why we have this expectation that the players who are honored must somehow be saints or have never had any problems in their life during college or post-college. Everyone is aware of what was going on in Roy Sr.'s life. It doesn't lessen the impact he had as a player at Iowa, and that is what should be honored. Kudos to Fran for bringing him back into the program in the time period that he did.

Soooo.... has Dev previously shared his disappointment with Fran? With Gary? With the U of I?
Or... just a random tweet knocking Iowa?

Seriously ... this is the good and bad about social media... So Dev sends a random message about displeasure (I’m guessing Iowa did not know about) and now the U of I is caught with its pants down trying to make good...

How about a direct conversation if you are upset ...

Instead... he chose the path of someone taking to a Facebook page to complain about your neighbor’s barking dog without ever approaching the neighbor first.

Loved watching Roy ... and Dev... Many know Roy’s off the court issues... Have a conversation with Barta and Fran... Find a solution...Talk... don’t tweet...

LOL

What in the world did the UI do to disrespect Dev? Or Roy???

Use some common sense and don't be fooled by the disrespect card that's being played
I don’t know because I’m not involved in the interactions that may or may not have occurred between the Marble family and the university, which is exactly the point. Neither were you.

Reactions: nelly02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT