ADVERTISEMENT

Who hates Iowa? Devyn Marble.

That is not a very well thought out response. No one would dispute Roy Marble's scoring ability. Roy would have scored even more points if he had to carry the team. If Garza was not surrounded with the best three point shooting team Iowa has ever had, then he would never have been close to the all time scoring record.
I can play your what if game. What if he didn't have all the other players to share the load and got double and triple teamed because he was the teams only scoring threat! He'd have less points.

I’m old enough to have seen both players at their best in college. Not claiming to be an expert but my vote goes to Luka. He embodies everything that is good about college athletics.

Roy was a great player in his own right, but, as many have noted, he had no where near the awards and accolades that Luka has achieved. I am very sorry for the Marble family in losing Roy too early, but, I can also see the university’s point that Roy had many off the court issues Which makes it very difficult to honor him in the same manner.

R.I.P. Roy.

How quickly people are willing to throw the Roy out with the garbage after 30 years. I highly doubt that Luka would want that to happen to Roy. Hopefully in 30 years Luka isn't treated the same way.

I can play your what if game. What if he didn't have all the other players to share the load and got double and triple teamed because he was the teams only scoring threat! He'd have less points.

Roy scored the points. Why are you wanting to discredit what he accomplished. For 30 years he was at the top, it makes no sense invalidate what he did. What the hell is wrong with you.

Reactions: LarryStation
Funny how you bring up Legend. It was your crazy ass posts going after & tagging Legend that got you banned from this site. You just recently came back. You love tagging people & now you tell me not to tag you? LOL

Seriously, there is something very wrong with you. I am guessing you're bi polar because today you are waaaay off and way out there.

And actually, you have made several dumb ass points in this thread and everyone is laughing at you. But you're an idiot, so you are probably used to people laughing at you.
quite a few more than several .

Reactions: Franisdaman
If that's the criteria then there should only be one number retired and we'll never see another one in the future. Roy was a great player and deserved better.
Sounds like you have to graduate from the U of I to get your number retired and RM failed to do that. Roy should at least have his jersey retired. Same as Luka and Luka should want other big men to carry on the tradition of wearing his jersey number, not see it hang from the rafters so others can’t wear it. That’s my take on it as I’d want others to take pride in wearing number 55.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62

I'm guessing you never saw Roy Marble play. Roy was a scorer. No one who ever saw him play would dispute that view. If you want to take on an improbable view point, then enjoy it. However, most people who know the game of basketball would agree with me that Roy would have scored even more points if that team was not so stacked with so many ways to score. Most people who know the game of basketball would also agree with me that Garza would have scored less points if he wasn't surrounded by the best 3 point shooting team in Iowa's history.

I choose to live in a world of what is more probable than what is less probable. But by all means, play your game of tails.

The whole optics of this just comes off as black v. White. When asked Barta could not give the criteria for why Roy Marble's jersey is not hanging from the rafters. After what just transpired with the football team, Barta has to be smarter than this. Barta, "Barta said none of the three met the university's criteria for such an honor. Barta would not disclose the criteria."

This is not on Coach McCaffery, this optical nightmare falls directly on the shoulders of the AD Gary Barta. Just another bone head Barta move.
Do you honestly think Barta should have started talking about why Roy did not meet the retirement requirements?

If he had done so, people would have been outraged, saying Barta was cruel.

No one is comparing Garza to Michael Jordan. Roy was constantly compared to Michael. SI did an article about it. Garza is a big. Is he being compared to Russell, Chamberlain, Shaq, etc. No. He is no where close to being as good as Roy.
can be hard to compare players at different positions . being 63 years young i saw everything roy did as a player . to say luka is no where as close to being as good as roy will go down in hawkeyereport history as being one of the stupidest post of all times .

I'm guessing you never saw Roy Marble play. Roy was a scorer. No one who ever saw him play would dispute that view. If you want to take on an improbable view point, then enjoy it. However, most people who know the game of basketball would agree with me that Roy would have scored even more points if that team was not so stacked with so many ways to score. Most people who know the game of basketball would also agree with me that Garza would have scored less points if he wasn't surrounded by the best 3 point shooting team in Iowa's history.

I choose to live in a world of what is more probable than what is less probable. But by all means, play your game of tails.
another contradictory statement from you . so roy would score more if he had not played on a stacked team but luka would score less because he plays on a stacked team ?

can be hard to compare players at different positions . being 63 years young i saw everything roy did as a player . to say luka is no where as close to being as good as roy will go down in hawkeyereport history as being one of the stupidest post of all times .

from the looks of your post . I don't know . if you have much . credibility when it comes to . intelligence . as a poster . aaron white is closer . to being as good as Luka. then luk . is to being as good as roy .

Hate this thread. Marble was a hell of a baller at Iowa. He has since passed. His son came to Iowa and was a hell of a baller. His son loves his dad and like many of us thinks his number should be retired. Granted, he could have requested it more succinctly. Feels dirty digging up his past now that he is gone. It is what it is I guess.

Sounds like you have to graduate from the U of I to get your number retired and RM failed to do that. Roy should at least have his jersey retired. Same as Luka and Luka should want other big men to carry on the tradition of wearing his jersey number, not see it hang from the rafters so others can’t wear it. That’s my take on it as I’d want others to take pride in wearing number 55.

That's how I would feel as well except for the graduation thing. Where does it say that someone has to graduate. That doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: chuck285
another contradictory statement from you . so roy would score more if he had not played on a stacked team but luka would score less because he plays on a stacked team ?

Not a contradiction. Different teams with different players. Luka benefited much more scoring wise from the skills of his teammates vs. Roy and the skills of his teammates. Roy would have scored more. Luka would have scored less. This is just having a little basketball intelligence. It is clear from your posts that you are lacking of any sort of intelligence.

How quickly people are willing to throw the Roy out with the garbage after 30 years. I highly doubt that Luka would want that to happen to Roy. Hopefully in 30 years Luka isn't treated the same way.
I don't think that is the case at all, in fact I bet most would say Roy Marble was one of their favorites...he was mine. However, I think Roy put Iowa in a tough position at the end of his playing career with the Hawkeyes to reward and retire his number, leading scorer and all. Then the early nineties for him weren't much better, probably worse. Is the University to honor him then? How about later when he continued to get in trouble and make headlines, do they do it then? How about in 2015 when less than 2 years prior he is in the news for more issues?

Roy didn't make what should have been an easy decision, easy or clear. He hurt his cause and continued to do so.

I am serious the 86-87 team is my all time favorite. Roy was my favorite player on that team, probably in my top 5 of all time of those I have seen.

I understand why the Marble family is hurt, I don't understand how Devyn feels he has been disrespected. I also understand why Iowa chose not to retire his number.

Not a contradiction. Different teams with different players. Luka benefited much more scoring wise from the skills of his teammates vs. Roy and the skills of his teammates. Roy would have scored more. Luka would have scored less. This is just having a little basketball intelligence. It is clear from your posts that you are lacking of any sort of intelligence.

In the 80s and early 90s Garza is an easy first round pick. With his 45% from 3 he would have been the first Dirk. What are you arguing here?

its not racial. They retired Stokes number as soon as he beat Lesters scoring record. It wasnt years later. Roy beat Stokes record. They did nothing. Luka beat Roys record and, like Stokes, they immediately retired his number. I can understand why the family is confused and upset.

Drank with Roy Sr in the box at the Iowa 4 thing in Des Moines. Drunk idiot like me, doesn’t deserve shit.

I think there are some valid questions that will be brought up.

really? What UI operational policy does that fall under?

You’re telling me if someone comes to Iowa wins three NPOY, leads us to three national championships, and breaks the scoring record....couldn’t have their jersey/number retired because they left early? Get out of here
yes

In the 80s and early 90s Garza is an easy first round pick. With his 45% from 3 he would have been the first Dirk. What are you arguing here?

What I have been saying consistently is Roy is a better player than Garza. It's not even close. Roy was one of three first round picks from his Iowa team. How many first rounders are on Garza's team?

If you think Garza would be a first round pick in the 80's and 90's, then great. I'm just saying Roy was a much better player than Garza.

• Haha
Reactions: papabeef and Moral
that takes balls with the drivel you are posting about this . lol

What I have been saying consistently is Roy is a better player than Garza. It's not even close. Roy was one of three first round picks from his Iowa team. How many first rounders are on Garza's team.

If you think Garza would be a first round pick in the 80's and 90's, then great. I'm just saying Roy was a much better player than Garza.

I get the argument. I'm hoping Pop grabs Garza and uses him in a role off the bench.

At the end of the day RM is a great.
Garza is a legend.

At least as far as Iowa is concerned.

That is a great update, and I’m thrilled that the university is taking the initiative to reconcile. This doesn’t mean that Devyn was unjustified in feeling disrespected in the first place, even if it was a result of a miscommunication
what it means is maybe devyn could have reached out to the university without going on twitter first .

Reactions: Franisdaman
Hate this thread. Marble was a hell of a baller at Iowa. He has since passed. His son came to Iowa and was a hell of a baller. His son loves his dad and like many of us thinks his number should be retired. Granted, he could have requested it more succinctly. Feels dirty digging up his past now that he is gone. It is what it is I guess.
I respect your opinions, Moral. But, unfortunately, Dev's tweet opened up this can of worms.

It was clear from today that Fran & Barta were completely taken off guard by the tweet. And Barta got asked what criteria Roy did not meet and he, for once, did the right thing & declined to answer. Can you imagine if Barta had stated the reasons why Roy's # has not been retired??

Posters here are just discussing why the UI, over the course of 3 Athletic Directors and 32 seasons, have not retired his #. The facts are the facts; the stories are easy to find and are there for all to read. It may feel dirty, but, again, it is in reaction to Dev's tweet.

You are right. Roy and Dev were great players. But neither, according to the UI, meet the criteria to have their numbers retired .

I don't think that is the case at all, in fact I bet most would say Roy Marble was one of their favorites...he was mine. However, I think Roy put Iowa in a tough position at the end of his playing career with the Hawkeyes to reward and retire his number, leading scorer and all. Then the early nineties for him weren't much better, probably worse. Is the University to honor him then? How about later when he continued to get in trouble and make headlines, do they do it then? How about in 2015 when less than 2 years prior he is in the news for more issues?

Roy didn't make what should have been an easy decision, easy or clear. He hurt his cause and continued to do so.

I am serious the 86-87 team is my all time favorite. Roy was my favorite player on that team, probably in my top 5 of all time of those I have seen.

I understand why the Marble family is hurt, I don't understand how Devyn feels he has been disrespected. I also understand why Iowa chose not to retire his number.
well stated.

If dev thinks the university disrespected his family, what does he think about his dad disrespecting a woman by choking her? Roy, great player, not a great man.
Maybe people should pause and think...there’s what, 3? examples of other guys jersey’s getting retired right after they broke the scoring record...yet the university chose to not retire his. Now if those other players had all sorts of off court issues surrounding them and still got recognized then maybe there would be an issue. But it’s pretty obvious the university didn’t want to honor him because of his actions off the court. And who can honestly blame them

What I have been saying consistently is Roy is a better player than Garza. It's not even close. Roy was one of three first round picks from his Iowa team. How many first rounders are on Garza's team?

3? BJ, Roy and.....?

If dev thinks the university disrespected his family, what does he think about his dad disrespecting a woman by choking her? Roy, great player, not a great man.
Maybe people should pause and think...there’s what, 3? examples of other guys jersey’s getting retired right after they broke the scoring record...yet the university chose to not retire his. Now if those other players had all sorts of off court issues surrounding them and still got recognized then maybe there would be an issue. But it’s pretty obvious the university didn’t want to honor him because of his actions off the court. And who can honestly blame them

For sure. Hate this all came up again. Dude has passed. He was an amazing baskethooper. And I only learned about that stuff post basketball.

Hate the sin not the sinner and all. RIP.

Don't need balls to recognize an illiterate on a message board . lol
hey spasmo as of today luka did all his scoring in 11 less games , roy 134 luka 123 . i love me some roy but you might want to quit bringing up the first round nba draft pick stuff he played 29 nba games in 2 different stints . maybe he was not a first round pick ? something to think about .

Reactions: Slim45
what it means is maybe devyn could have reached out to the university without going on twitter first .
He could have, but he didn’t, nor was he obligated to. Some of you are acting like Dev is praying on and trying to partake in the downfall of the university when it clearly isn’t true. He answered a question from one of his fans truthfully and moved on. The reaction that he received isn’t his problem, and the only people butthurt about the way this ended up going down are Iowa fans who feel that any former player who isn’t totally enamored with his former school must be treated with vitriol

Reactions: lesterfan and Moral
He could have, but he didn’t, nor was he obligated to. Some of you are acting like Dev is praying on and trying to partake in the downfall of the university when it clearly isn’t true. He answered a question from one of his fans truthfully and moved on. The reaction that he received isn’t his problem, and the only people butthurt about the way this ended up going down are Iowa fans who feel that any former player who isn’t totally enamored with his former school must be treated with vitriol
maybe he was not OBLIGATED to do it but it would have been the right thing to do

Reactions: iafan44 and Moral
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT