ADVERTISEMENT

Who hates Iowa? Devyn Marble.

Love the Marbles, but I think this is poor form. Roy didn’t get his jersey retired because he wasn’t even the best player in his class and probably not in (my) top 15 players all time. I loved Devyn’s game too, probably more than Roy’s. No one has disrespected them.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
its not racial. They retired Stokes number as soon as he beat Lesters scoring record. It wasnt years later. Roy beat Stokes record. They did nothing. Luka beat Roys record and, like Stokes, they immediately retired his number. I can understand why the family is confused and upset.
I'm thinking there are a lot more awards that Garza has won then just the scoring records. Roy was probably a better skilled ball player but Luka has so many AWARDS other than just scoring. The teams Roy played on could have probably won about as many games without him but the last two years Iowa probably would have been lucky to be 50 / 50. See next year...JMO

What does BLM have to do with honoring Roy Marble? I hope you don't have a degree from the University of Iowa because you're an embarrassment to those of us who do.
I never said that BLM has anything to do with honoring Roy Marble. I was being sarcastic regarding Iowa feeling pressured to cave in because of the race issue being brought up by others. Now, don't you feel stupid? You would if you had any intelligence.
BTW, the University of Iowa called and they want to to either stop claiming that you hold a degree from them or to return your diploma for a refund because they obviously didn't help you.

The whole optics of this just comes off as black v. White. When asked Barta could not give the criteria for why Roy Marble's jersey is not hanging from the rafters. After what just transpired with the football team, Barta has to be smarter than this. Barta, "Barta said none of the three met the university's criteria for such an honor. Barta would not disclose the criteria."

This is not on Coach McCaffery, this optical nightmare falls directly on the shoulders of the AD Gary Barta. Just another bone head Barta move.
You do realize that whatever the reason that the University decided that Roy, Sr. didn't meet the requirements publicly announcing those reasons as they pertain to Roy, Sr. would invite a huge lawsuit for defamation. The reasons are obviously negative towards Marble otherwise his number would have been retired. It would be a bone headed move by Barta to reveal those reasons. Of course this is not on Coach McCaffery and it isn't on Barta either you dumb meathead.

How easily we give athletes a pass at times. The man beat up women. We are supposed to honor him? We try to cancel people now as a society for saying something stupid thirty years ago but apparently we are supposed to also give our programs highest honor to a man that beats up women on numerous occasions and didn't stop doing that through his entire life. Hey he scored a lot of points...so what. He beats women. He shouldn't have been allowed in the building

I never said that BLM has anything to do with honoring Roy Marble. I was being sarcastic regarding Iowa feeling pressured to cave in because of the race issue being brought up by others. Now, don't you feel stupid? You would if you had any intelligence.
BTW, the University of Iowa called and they want to to either stop claiming that you hold a degree from them or to return your diploma for a refund because they obviously didn't help you.

For christs sake

Not a contradiction. Different teams with different players. Luka benefited much more scoring wise from the skills of his teammates vs. Roy and the skills of his teammates. Roy would have scored more. Luka would have scored less. This is just having a little basketball intelligence. It is clear from your posts that you are lacking of any sort of intelligence.

Might want to check yourself with your moronic posts before you talk anybody else's intelligence there..... because your posts are clueless as they come

Reactions: Slim45
I'm curious Devyn...did the people your father hurt feel disrespected by you and the family? Was he given a pass in things other people wouldn't get because he was the great roy marble? How many people that were hurt by your father didn't feel like they could do much about it because he is the great roy marble? How many excuses did you make for him growing up and are still doing today? When are you going to acknowledge the damage he has done to people including our University? Every time he was arrested it was news with the University listed right beside his criminal behavior. Every time. Imagine being the victim of his crimes where a humiliating and degrading experience is broadcast widely because the perpetrator is the great basketball player from the University of Iowa Roy Marble.

I'm thinking there are a lot more awards that Garza has won then just the scoring records. Roy was probably a better skilled ball player but Luka has so many AWARDS other than just scoring. The teams Roy played on could have probably won about as many games without him but the last two years Iowa probably would have been lucky to be 50 / 50. See next year...JMO
I looked at the 88-89 BIg Ten stats. Roy was near the top in a lot. But BJ and Ed Horton were in the top 10 in almost every category as well. Ed lead the league in rebounding and was one basket behind Roy in points per game. Roy ended up with more career points because he got a lot more time as a freshman. Their senior years, he may have had the most talent of the trio, but he did not really top the other two.

In the end...Devyn still comes off as an immature whiney bitch. Twitter is not the place to address this if it's that important to you. Go speak to Barta and Fran (who would likely be your ally) and voice your concerns. That's what adults do.

I've been hard on Barta (like many of us) but I think he handled this well. I especially like that he included 2 other players who may have similar cases for jersey retirement... a subtle but clear message.

Last edited:
Why would they be invited, or need to be invited, to the retirement of Luka's number?

It is an easy way to acknowledge the family and in a normal year there is zero doubt an invite would have happened....or should have happened.

That being said this is still poor form by Devyn.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I'm guessing you never saw Roy Marble play. Roy was a scorer. No one who ever saw him play would dispute that view. If you want to take on an improbable view point, then enjoy it. However, most people who know the game of basketball would agree with me that Roy would have scored even more points if that team was not so stacked with so many ways to score. Most people who know the game of basketball would also agree with me that Garza would have scored less points if he wasn't surrounded by the best 3 point shooting team in Iowa's history.

I choose to live in a world of what is more probable than what is less probable. But by all means, play your game of tails.
I am a big fan of Roy. But he benefitted greatly from Dr. Tom's style of play. Roy got a lot of easy layups from steals off the full-court press. And Dr. Tom's hectic style tended to wear other teams out, which allowed Marble to get a lot of fast break points and 2nd chance baskets. Roy was a freak athlete, but not necessarily a highly skilled basketball player. That is one of the 2 reasons he flamed out so quickly in the NBA.

I don't think you can say Nazi anymore. Please refer to the PC handbook, volume 37 article 16.

Technically, you ARE allowed to say "Nazi" these days, but only in the context that you label those that you disagree with as "Nazi's" for just about anything that they would say or do. This is actually a staple in todays lexicon.

Try to keep up. :) :)

IMO graduating should be a requirement. It’s not that difficult for many majors.

Obviously in the case of an untimely death like Chris Street that requirement should be waved.

Student Athlete should mean something.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
IMHO, while I do think that Luka's number is worthy of retirement, I think this was the absolute worst time to do that. Mainly because he's still an active member on the team, and they have some very, very big games ahead of them. At least wait until the season is over and done with. ESPN even put a piece about this on their site yesterday - it doesn't exactly scream "breaking news" like the Doyle fiasco practically was, but it's never a good thing when Iowa is associated with less-than-positive news in major media outlets.

I don't have an opinion on whether or not Roy's jersey/number should be retired or not. I was like 4, 5, and 6 years old when he played at Iowa so I have no real recollection of what he did at Iowa. But what I can surmise is that despite all his personal issues that he fought throughout his adult life, being a dogcrap father was not one of them. If he didn't make at least some positive impact on Devyn's life, he wouldn't have defended his father the way he did on Twitter. A lot of people either want nothing to do with their father, or never even knew them.

That said, these grievances need to be put on hold. The Hawks have one job right now and that's to play (and hopefully win) some more games. They have no business getting caught up in Twitter drama as nothing good ever comes of it.

Reactions: hawkeye_wx
Barta's past comments in regard to this issue seem to be quite tone deaf. I believe in 2015 or 2016 Barta said something to the effect of "We (being Iowa) aren't in the habit of retiring numbers around here". If he had some foresight he would have realized that he should have added to that statement by stating something like, "Unless a special set of circumstances make it undeniable that so and so should have that honor." So in the last two years Megan and soon Luka will have their jerseys hanging from the rafters and Carver Hawkeye. I believe that statement has contributed to the uproar.
With respect, perhaps find the actual quote instead of quoting a bunch of things that weren't actually said. It may help you, and likely would have kept you from wasting time posting this.

What I have been saying consistently is Roy is a better player than Garza. It's not even close. Roy was one of three first round picks from his Iowa team. How many first rounders are on Garza's team?

If you think Garza would be a first round pick in the 80's and 90's, then great. I'm just saying Roy was a much better player than Garza.
Stats and awards say otherwise, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Reactions: 24 so far
I can understand to a point, the Marble family’s frustration over this. However that was a different time. I know Roy Marble held the leading scorer. But what else was accomplished that particular year that is similar to this year? Trying to draw some comparisons. All I know is this year, there is a cohesive team, ranked highly most all year. #55 is a national player of the year and as a cohesive unit, are expected to be a #2 seed going into the big dance. Respectfully, different coach, AD. There had to be some sort of reason they didn’t retire Roy Marble’s jersey.

its not racial. They retired Stokes number as soon as he beat Lesters scoring record. It wasnt years later. Roy beat Stokes record. They did nothing. Luka beat Roys record and, like Stokes, they immediately retired his number. I can understand why the family is confused and upset.

Good point but the beef should be with Stokes as his career and accolades are on par with Marbles'. Garza's career and accolades are on an entirely different level with the 2x BIG and national POY, 2x 1st team AA, etc.

I am a big fan of Roy. But he benefitted greatly from Dr. Tom's style of play. Roy got a lot of easy layups from steals off the full-court press. And Dr. Tom's hectic style tended to wear other teams out, which allowed Marble to get a lot of fast break points and 2nd chance baskets. Roy was a freak athlete, but not necessarily a highly skilled basketball player. That is one of the 2 reasons he flamed out so quickly in the NBA.

Yep. Marble was a great fit for Dr Tom's system and an exceptional athlete. Not as much of a highly skilled basketball player.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Can we just consider this done after Barta’s response and move on? This Twitter drama is looking to carry over into tournament time and screw up the end of a great season.
Agreed. Devyn has seemed to already move on to other things. Unfortunately there are people on Twitter doing their best to keep him from doing so and appear hellbent kn fanning the flames and it is now being picked up by national media members.

It sounds like Iowa is going to try to make it right. Hope people can just move on and not let this be a distraction or take away from Luka’s achievements.

In the end...Devyn still comes off as an immature whiney bitch. Twitter is not the place to address this if it's that important to you. Go speak to Barta and Fran (who would likely be your ally) and voice your concerns. That's what adults do.

I've been hard on Barta (like many of us) but I think he handled this well. I especially like that he included 2 other players who may have similar cases for jersey retirement... a subtle but clear message.

Well said.

And think about how one football related tweet and one basketball related tweet created a ton of chaos in the Iowa athletic dept.

James Daniels' tweet almost brought down KF and the entire coaching staff. And don't forget; KF wished James had gone to him instead of tweeting.

Devyn Marble's tweet was simply dumb, as you describe. Again, go to your ally (Fran). Don't go to Twitter, for crying out loud

How quickly people are willing to throw the Roy out with the garbage after 30 years. I highly doubt that Luka would want that to happen to Roy. Hopefully in 30 years Luka isn't treated the same way.
i did not throw Roy out with the garbage. I merely expressed my opinion that he doesn’t match what Luka has done, on and off the court. Sorry if you are butt hurt But I really don’t care.

And don't forget who the athletic director was in 1989, Roy's last year. Bump Elliott served as Iowa’s athletic director from 1970-91

Bump made some damn good decisions. He hired football coach Hayden Fry, wrestling coach Dan Gable and basketball coach Tom Davis

Bump also made the decision to not retire Marble's #. And that decision has stood for 32 years. Barta said yesterday that Marble did not meet the criteria. Bump thought the same 32 years ago.

i did not throw Roy out with the garbage. I merely expressed my opinion that he doesn’t match what Luka has done, on and off the court. Sorry if you are butt hurt But I really don’t care.

If everyone has to live up to Luka, then we'll never have another person eligible. Should we un-retire other numbers because they also don't live up to Luka? Roy deserved it then and he deserves it now.

Agreed.

Dev opened this can of worms and made the whole damn topic public. And now people are discussing the reasons why Roy never reached that high bar that one must reach in order to have your number retired.

I guess Gary needs to sit down with Dev privately and discuss the criteria and which ones Roy did not meet and why.

Reactions: kcgolfer
I admit I didn't read through this entire thread, but feel I need to comment on those thoughts that Roy wasn't even the best player on his teams. That is just blatantly incorrect. BJ and Horton blossomed while here and Armstrong actually led the team in scoring his junior year, but Roy was great from the very beginning of his career. He led the team in scoring three of his four years here and was a force to be reckoned with in the B1G during what could be considered a golden era. He may not have collected the accolades that Luka is garnering, but he was a tremendous player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT