ADVERTISEMENT

Who hates Iowa? Devyn Marble.

Not sure what a spasmo is, but your response takes a snippet of what I have said out of the context in which it was being said. I know you don't have much command of the English language when it comes to the written word, but now I am also questioning if you can read full sentences. Or maybe you are just lazy.
nice . you lost the argument now you want to change the narrative .

You can't compare the awards. Roy played when players stayed 4 years. Garza plays when the best players leave after 1 year. If the best players in today's era stayed for 4 years, then Garza would not have these awards. I'm not dissing Garza. There is just no question in my mind that Roy was the better basketball player.

Oh nonsense. Garza would have been unstoppable back then at an even higher level. A center that can shoot the three? Good lord he would have been an anomaly. Not to mention his fitness level is insane and the minutes he can play vs normal bigs.... especially back then.

So, if you represented the state University and had the power to decide, do you enshrine him and retire his number?

No but I would take down BJ, Stokes and Chris Street. Retiring the jersey should be rare and based on an extraordinary career on the basketball court at Iowa. Being a career leading scorer is a big career result but there are other things that I think are required. National level recognition would be the next factor, Luka's won almost every honor a center can win, Roy had no such recognition.

Outside of doing some serious horrendous crime, basketball honors are earned on the floor. Roy did not earn a jersey retirement and neither did BJ, Greg Stokes or Chris Street.

Seriously? Really?
By saying the man was a hell of a basketball player, was fun to watch, and provided the fans with a ton of entertainment and wins, but saying he broke laws, did unethical and immoral things that's ripping in to him?

Facts are funny things.
we must not discuss facts.

we must not discuss that Bump Elliott decided 32 years ago to NOT retire Roy's number because Roy did not reach that high bar that is required for a number to be retired. The same Bump Elliott who hired Hayden Fry, Dan Gable and Tom Davis.

we must not bring up those domestic violence and restraining order articles that were published in the Cedar Rapids Gazette. Damn that Gazette!!!

Instead, we must be OUTRAGED!!!!!!

Barta gave some reasons why Roy's number 23 was not retired, and I have no idea if thats factual or not.

Either way he would probably would have been better off not getting into the damage control, and just let this die back down. Hopefully this doesn't turn into another black eye for the University.

Don't you think there was a file created 32 years ago by Bump Elliott when they reviewed whether or not to retire Roy's number? Barta mentioned that Roy never met the criteria for jersey retirement, so I am sure Barta is fully aware of why Bump Elliott made the decision he made. And guess what? That decision has stood for 32 years, so it must have been a good one. Bump was known for making good/the right decisions.

And I disagree; Barta needed to address this after Dev attacked the UI. Barta also brought up 2 other former players whose families thought their numbers should be retired. Barta stated that ALL 3 players did not meet the criteria that is required.

This is not hard, folks.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
I’ve read through this and have seen where Roy was apparently in rehab stint or something similar during his college career.

If so, the university can’t have it both ways. Can’t say his drug problems are an issue for them now, while saying they weren’t a big enough problem then to boot him. Gotta keep him eligible and on the court and all.

And I know he had other legal issues. But he held the most sacred record for 30 years and lesser accomplished players got the honor over him. Seemed like the university hid under any reason (public or private) to avoid his recognition. I guess that’s all.

What's wrong with the UI helping its student athletes with addiction problems?

Many coaches and universities have tried to help the player first BEFORE kicking them off the team. So, what the UI did with Roy is not uncommon.

Again, the problems that prevented Roy's number from being retired were issues from 32 years ago, which is when Bump Elliott/the committee decided to not retire his number. And Bump's decision has stood for 32 years over a couple other Athletic Directors.

Oh nonsense. Garza would have been unstoppable back then at an even higher level. A center that can shoot the three? Good lord he would have been an anomaly. Not to mention his fitness level is insane and the minutes he can play vs normal bigs.... especially back then.

Interesting take...

nice . you lost the argument now you want to change the narrative .

You take a single snippet of an entire conversation and apply your own context to it. And then you say I want to change the narrative. For your own good, give you finger a rest and stop typing.

Sure you can. You choose not to.

I’m sorry, but I don’t see any evidence to support saying a player who never made first team All Big 10 is better than a player who is a 2-time first team All Big 10, 2 time player of the year in the Big 10, will be a 2-time consensus all-american, and will likely be the national player of the year. Or at worst, runner up.

But....you have your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Its ok for us to disagree. I appreciate the dialogue and different perspectives. There are some smart people on here who have different views. I believe it makes a material difference that he plays in an era of 1 and done. He is a great player. I'm not disputing it. Roy was a great player. No one is disputing that either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 83Hawk
Its ok for us to disagree. I appreciate the dialogue and different perspectives. There are some smart people on here who have different views. I believe it make a material difference that he plays in an era of 1 and done. He is a great player. I'm not disputing it. Roy was a great player. No one is disputing that either.
You take a single snippet of an entire conversation and apply your own context to it. And then you say I want to change the narrative. For your own good, give you finger a rest and stop typing.
nah , it is to much fun pissing you off . lol

Ronman said:
I admit I didn't read through this entire thread, but feel I need to comment on those thoughts that Roy wasn't even the best player on his teams. That is just blatantly incorrect. BJ and Horton blossomed while here and Armstrong actually led the team in scoring his junior year, but Roy was great from the very beginning of his career. He led the team in scoring three of his four years here and was a force to be reckoned with in the B1G during what could be considered a golden era. He may not have collected the accolades that Luka is garnering, but he was a tremendous player.

Forgive me if I'm wrong,
but when you have 3 teams ranked in the top 5 and 4 teams in the top 10 and may have 2 number one seeds and 2 number two seeds in the NCAA Tournament and as many as 9 teams in the dance overall, that seems to be pretty golden right now!

Many coaches and universities have tried to help the player first BEFORE kicking them off the team. So, what the UI did with Roy is not uncommon.

Again, the problems that prevented Roy's number from being retired were issues from 32 years ago, which is when Bump Elliott/the committee decided to not retire his number. And Bump's decision has stood for 32 years over a couple other Athletic Directors.
"The decision to retire numbers or jerseys rests in the hands of a committee that includes coaches, the athletic director, the media relations director and the Varsity Club "

Why do you put it all on Bump's shoulders?

Nothing wrong w helping kids in that capacity. But what rubs me the wrong way, is when that help and commitment seems conditional to a degree. Seems like the university tolerated Roy as a player, and not so much as a person, which is unfortunate.

And yes they can only do so much post playing days, but they seemed to keep him at an uncomfortable distance considering his status as a player.

"The decision to retire numbers or jerseys rests in the hands of a committee that includes coaches, the athletic director, the media relations director and the Varsity Club "

Why do you put it all on Bump's shoulders?

I did not put it all on Bump's shoulders. As you can see, I stated that Bump Elliott/the committee decided to not retire his number 32 years ago.

And then, from there, it would have been Bump who would have taken the questions 32 years ago on why his number was not retired, just like Barta is taking the questions now.

Nothing wrong w helping kids in that capacity. But what rubs me the wrong way, is when that help and commitment seems conditional to a degree. Seems like the university tolerated Roy as a player, and not so much as a person, which is unfortunate.

And yes they can only do so much post playing days, but they seemed to keep him at an uncomfortable distance considering his status as a player.

I guess I disagree. How can the UI not be "tolerating" Roy as a human being when they help him get treatment & they help him stay on a path to get a degree? The UI can only do so much; Roy has to want to get better and he has to want that degree, too.

Unfortunately, the UI kept Roy at an uncomfortable distance because his actions after his UI playing days, quite frankly, made them uncomfortable.

The whole optics of this just comes off as black v. White. When asked Barta could not give the criteria for why Roy Marble's jersey is not hanging from the rafters. After what just transpired with the football team, Barta has to be smarter than this. Barta, "Barta said none of the three met the university's criteria for such an honor. Barta would not disclose the criteria."

This is not on Coach McCaffery, this optical nightmare falls directly on the shoulders of the AD Gary Barta. Just another bone head Barta move.

No, it falls on Dev Marble. HE was the one who whined about it. Barta didn't have to give him the time of day...until Fran "reached out". At least barta didn't go into detail about (possible) "character issues".

How soon before Luka Garza is tweeting, "I will never watch an Iowa game again"?

I couldn't watch sportscenter the next week in fear I might see highlights of the game.

I have yet to rewatch that game, despite numerous friends saying, "You can find it online!" Between that game and Joe Theismann's injury, that's several hours I will never be tempted to waste!

Reactions: NI hawk
Mountain Man Hawk said:
I agree the number should have been retired. I understand the reasons it wasn’t retired back in 1985 but should all that have still been held against him in 2015 when we do the awkward half step of giving him a framed jersey? Someone said lots of schools have a requirement that you get your degree before retiring the number. If so, it would be interesting to see how common that requirement is.

It’s all just awkward because Roy was a fairly prominent figure again all the years his son was here, they showed his highlights in practically every game, they showed him in the stands in TV all the time, and then we have this weird policy where because of some off the court problems 30 years ago we don’t feel like we can really honor him with a retired jersey. If I was Dev I would think that’s messed up too.

If showing highlights is what it takes then Kenyon Murray should have his number retired, right?

Maybe we need to make sure OJs kids are at the Heisman dinner each year?

• Haha
Reactions: mtown66
Can someone please explain why Greg Stokes's number was retired?
Good player, finished with the most points in Iowa basketball at the time....what else is did he achieve. Let me know.

No but I would take down BJ, Stokes and Chris Street. Retiring the jersey should be rare and based on an extraordinary career on the basketball court at Iowa. Being a career leading scorer is a big career result but there are other things that I think are required. National level recognition would be the next factor, Luka's won almost every honor a center can win, Roy had no such recognition.

Outside of doing some serious horrendous crime, basketball honors are earned on the floor. Roy did not earn a jersey retirement and neither did BJ, Greg Stokes or Chris Street.
I am in agreement with the exception of Street.

It's the natural by-product of the participation trophy/self-esteem/I'm a victim generation (who's molding began somewhere in the early/mid 90s) combined with instant access to social media like Twitter. This is just one more way it's manifesting. We have more and more adult children who'd rather throw a public tantrum than deal with things or people directly.
Everyone should be able to see that this is where we're at in society... it's definitely no secret. But you my friend are spot on.

A couple weeks ago I noticed a "participation-trophy" loving left-wing outlet (ABC) discussing the Gen Z'ers....questioning whether or not this group is taking "political correctness" way too far.

I was surprised but happy the topic was on the table.

We should probably reach out and see who else needs more respect from the program.

Pretty sure Krafcisin still is the only person ever to play and score in two final fours for two different teams. Sounds like he has a case. Hell, we have a current player that’s #1 in a few categories for us, might as well do him too.

I am pretty sure other players have now played for multiple schools in Final Four. And with "free" transfers on the horizon, it might become commonplace, like it or not.

That is not a very well thought out response. No one would dispute Roy Marble's scoring ability. Roy would have scored even more points if he had to carry the team. If Garza was not surrounded with the best three point shooting team Iowa has ever had, then he would never have been close to the all time scoring record.

So, in other words, all the work Frank and Luka put in was pointless, because of our awesome AND consistent 3-point shooting, so he wasn't really needed. Got it.

You keep digging, and the hole ain't filling itself.

I'm guessing you never saw Roy Marble play. Roy was a scorer. No one who ever saw him play would dispute that view. If you want to take on an improbable view point, then enjoy it. However, most people who know the game of basketball would agree with me that Roy would have scored even more points if that team was not so stacked with so many ways to score. Most people who know the game of basketball would also agree with me that Garza would have scored less points if he wasn't surrounded by the best 3 point shooting team in Iowa's history.

I choose to live in a world of what is more probable than what is less probable. But by all means, play your game of tails.

Please list "most" people...

Not a contradiction. Different teams with different players. Luka benefited much more scoring wise from the skills of his teammates vs. Roy and the skills of his teammates. Roy would have scored more. Luka would have scored less. This is just having a little basketball intelligence. It is clear from your posts that you are lacking of any sort of intelligence.

<<This is just having a little basketball intelligence>>

Yeah, you could definitely use some. Thus far, you have exhibited zero credibility your own self.

What I have been saying consistently is Roy is a better player than Garza. It's not even close. Roy was one of three first round picks from his Iowa team. How many first rounders are on Garza's team?

If you think Garza would be a first round pick in the 80's and 90's, then great. I'm just saying Roy was a much better player than Garza.

There you go, contradicting yourself, again. BTW, a little "basketball intelligence" says Roy was one of only TWO first-round draft picks for his team.

Roy was awesome at Orlando Classic after the 1989 season. He got drafted in the first round. He promptly made the very little, if not the least, of his opportunity. He was a great player. Better than Luka? Stupid comparison from the outset.

Bet you and the others quit now, because it's getting embarrassing just reading these posts.

I respect your opinions, Moral. But, unfortunately, Dev's tweet opened up this can of worms.

It was clear from today that Fran & Barta were completely taken off guard by the tweet. And Barta got asked what criteria Roy did not meet and he, for once, did the right thing & declined to answer. Can you imagine if Barta had stated the reasons why Roy's # has not been retired??

Posters here are just discussing why the UI, over the course of 3 Athletic Directors and 32 seasons, have not retired his #. The facts are the facts; the stories are easy to find and are there for all to read. It may feel dirty, but, again, it is in reaction to Dev's tweet.

You are right. Roy and Dev were great players. But neither, according to the UI, meet the criteria to have their numbers retired .

Actually, if "comparing" players, one might argue Luka and Dev are two of Iowa's all-time greatest at MAXIMIZING their respective talents.

Dev came to Iowa pretty raw, with Roy's shadow (obviously) enveloping him. He, along with Gatens, White, Basabe, Olaseni, Gesell, May, Woodbury, et. al. helped turn the program back around from the hole Alf started and Lick fully excavated. He had to play off-guard, small-forwward, point guard, and damn near everything else, at some point in his career. He ended up becoming the part of the first father-son duo in B1G to each score 1000 points. No, he wasn't his father, but he was anything BUT a disappointment, and showed anything BUT a "boy-I-wish-he-was-as-good-as-his-dad" result.

Luka came in exuberant and eager, but pretty raw. There were certainly flashes of what might be, but, beyond the tumor issue his sophomore year helping to explain part of it, NObody saw junior AND senior Luka Garza as any sort of sure thing. With his father's help he worked his ass off to get better, worked with his teammates to keep the team healthy during this season, and gave full credit to staff & team when honored last Sunday.

In short, if "honor" is what it's about, I would choose BOTH over Roy AND some of Roy's teammates. But frankly, what Dev created with his tweet may just need time, get everyone to their corner, and let them come back and sort it out.

Kudos to Fran for reaching out, kudos to Barta for not dodging the whole thing, and kudos to all if they can 1) do the "honor" section at Carver-Hawkeye's reworked concourse, and 2) unretire ALL numbers, and just hang their individual jerseys. Yes, even CMS 40. Hell, why not let players "earn" the right to wear numbers as they get unretired? Dumber things have been tried, that's for certain.

Yep. Marble was a great fit for Dr Tom's system and an exceptional athlete. Not as much of a highly skilled basketball player.

He was a GREAT player. And, to put to rest all the b.s. about a degree, Roy DID graduate from Iowa. There was show on BTN featuring several former players and their college experience, and what it was like to leave home to go to school in the first place.

Roy's first comments included the admonition from his father NOT to come home if he didn't get his degree. His father impressed upon him that he was being gifted with an education in exchange for his talent. For him to give his talent and NOT get the degree was unacceptable. Roy said he wasn't going to risk going home without the degree.

I believe either Tom Davis or one of his teammates mentioned that Roy graduated "on time", with his class.

Can you name them? Or just one?

Not sure, but Billy McCaffrey, maybe (started at Duke, maybe transferred to kentucky?) Rick Calloway started at Indiana, finished at Kansas, but not sure if he went to Final Four at both, or even if he ever went.

I know Krafcisin was definitely the first, and actually reached the title game with UNC.

I guess I could Google it, but not even sure how I would search for it "Guys with multiple Final Fours from different schools"?

(PAUSE)

So I DID Google it. NOTHING, not even a mention of Steve Krafcisin. It gives copious amounts of team info, but no mention of individual players who have done what Krafcisin did (including Krafcisin).

I think I should get an award for stumping Google!

Not sure, but Billy McCaffrey, maybe (started at Duke, maybe transferred to kentucky?) Rick Calloway started at Indiana, finished at Kansas, but not sure if he went to Final Four at both, or even if he ever went.

I know Krafcisin was definitely the first, and actually reached the title game with UNC.

I guess I could Google it, but not even sure how I would search for it "Guys with multiple Final Fours from different schools"?

(PAUSE)

So I DID Google it. NOTHING, not even a mention of Steve Krafcisin. It gives copious amounts of team info, but no mention of individual players who have done what Krafcisin did (including Krafcisin).

I think I should get an award for stumping Google!
"To this day, Steve holds the unique distinction as the only player in NCAA history to play and score in two Final Fours for two different teams."

https://www.dmaccbears.com/sports/wbkb/coaches/Steve_Krafcisin?view=bio

Can someone please explain why Greg Stokes's number was retired?
Good player, finished with the most points in Iowa basketball at the time....what else is did he achieve. Let me know.

1982: Second round exit
1983: Sweet Sixteen exit
1984: no postseason
1985: first-round exit

That's from a team perspective. Greg was definitely the star of the team for three of those years. Beyond that, I agree. Great Hawkeye, but retiring his number is a bit much.

"To this day, Steve holds the unique distinction as the only player in NCAA history to play and score in two Final Fours for two different teams."

https://www.dmaccbears.com/sports/wbkb/coaches/Steve_Krafcisin?view=bio
Good find. What in hell did you use as a search term?

EDIT: I actually met Steve when I went through fraternity rush as a freshman. He was at the Lambda Chi Alpha house. We talked a bit about Chicagoland sports. St Laurence was basically the Catholic League "power" equivalent, in that day and age, to Mark Aguirre at Westinghouse and Levi Cobb at Morgan Park. To put it in perspective, Ronnie Lester's Dunbar team was but a blip on the radar in those years.

Last edited:
No one is comparing Garza to Michael Jordan. Roy was constantly compared to Michael. SI did an article about it. Garza is a big. Is he being compared to Russell, Chamberlain, Shaq, etc. No. He is no where close to being as good as Roy.
Comparing Roy and Luka is apples to oranges. Luka couldn't do what Roy did and vs. vs. Given the number of games Roy played, there are many guys that played before '73 that only played about 60% as many. Give them the same number of games and they would have had more points than Roy.

Reactions: LarryStation
I had another thought on this whole mess. Suppose, just suppose, part of the criterion is being a model citizen - on and OFF the court. Since Roy had off court issues, that could have been the issue. So if Barta comes out and says it was because of Roy's addiction and drug issues, he would get blasted to kingdom come!!! And he shouldn't say that as it disparages another persons personal behavior. So maybe by saying nothing, Barta was trying to NOT diminish Roy's legacy! Just a thought.....................

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and Slim45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT